August 2017 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• BruinsGal_91
    BruinsGal_91 Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    Irontri7 wrote: »
    Rest days are the best days! You sometimes really forget how important they are, or don't think you *need* to rest. After some harder, long-ish (compared to the last two years) workouts this past weekend, I took my typical Monday off. Tuesday's bike and yesterday's run were great!

8/2- 4+
    8/3- 1 (after a bike - first brick since 2015!)
    8/4- 5
    8/6- 6
    8/9- 5.5

Total: 21.5 / 70

On another note, headphones are the worst. Anyone have recommendations for bluetooth headphones? Apparently I have some weird shaped ears/ear canals because NOTHING stays in. I have to angle them up, and they still end up falling out. The best ones I've used were Audio 66 BTS which go over the ear, but they died in less than 2 years and the "loops" make wearing sunglasses tough. #firstworldproblems

@Irontri7 Have you thought about Aftershokz? A friend of mine swears these are greatest headphones she's ever used. And because they don't actually go into the ear canal, you can hear what's going on around you.

https://aftershokz.com/
  • cburke8909
    cburke8909 Posts: 990 Member
    Options
    @Irontri7 Canbor makes a great set for less than $40 and their customer service is fantastic.
  • zdyb23456
    zdyb23456 Posts: 1,706 Member
    Options
    I just ordered these
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01N6DC2ZE/143-9369336-9863823

For $25 they might be worth a try. They have pretty good reviews.

• PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    BLUE TOOTH HEADSETS

I have spent $1000s on them now. I have tried sets from $10 up to almost $200 a pair. I plan to do a youtube round up of them, but SO FAR to date, the ONLY set that still currently works for me are the Plantronics Backbeat ( http://amzn.to/2vq365G ). I have tried JayBird, JLabs, and many others. They all failed in one respect or another.

So far the Plantronics have stayed in my ears and survived over a month of hard use. That is a flippen record for me. Not joking.
  • Irontri7
    Irontri7 Posts: 143 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    cburke8909 wrote: »
    @Irontri7 Canbor makes a great set for less than $40 and their customer service is fantastic.

The pair I have now are these from Senso, which look very similar to those.

FWIW, the Senso ones I have now are pretty great sound-wise. I'd recommend them to anyone, they just don't work for me and my misshapen ears.
  • Irontri7
    Options
    Rest days are the best days! You sometimes really forget how important they are, or don't think you *need* to rest. After some harder, long-ish (compared to the last two years) workouts this past weekend, I took my typical Monday off. Tuesday's bike and yesterday's run were great!

8/2- 4+
    8/4- 5
    8/6- 6
    8/9- 5.5

On another note, headphones are the worst. Anyone have recommendations for bluetooth headphones? Apparently I have some weird shaped ears/ear canals because NOTHING stays in. I have to angle them up, and they still end up falling out. The best ones I've used were Audio 66 BTS which go over the ear, but they died in less than 2 years and the "loops" make wearing sunglasses tough. #firstworldproblems

@Irontri7 Have you thought about Aftershokz? A friend of mine swears these are greatest headphones she's ever used. And because they don't actually go into the ear canal, you can hear what's going on around you.

https://aftershokz.com/

I haven't! I know I've heard of them, but they never crossed my mind as I typically look at the "top 15 bluetooth headphones for running" lists which I don't believe I've seen them on.
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    Hey just got this coupon from RooSport ( http://theroosport.com/ ) and it says I can share with my friends so here...
    To celebrate we are offering 25% OFF to our current customers! You can share this with your friends if you would like. The 25% OFF Promo Code applies to all of our products as well. Get prepared for your Fall running and your traveling!

Use Promo Code : NewRoo

Sale Ends Aug. 21st!
    https://vp104.infusionsoft.com/app/storeFront/showCategoryPage?categoryId=5

• KatieJane83
    KatieJane83 Posts: 2,002 Member
    Options

FWIW, the Senso ones I have now are pretty great sound-wise. I'd recommend them to anyone, they just don't work for me and my misshapen ears.

I know you said they don't stay in your ears, but I'm happy to see this, because the Senso ones are the ones I just ordered, and you said they died after two years. The first two pairs I tried died after a month each, so I'll take two years! lol
  • Irontri7
    Options

I know you said they don't stay in your ears, but I'm happy to see this, because the Senso ones are the ones I just ordered, and you said they died after two years. The first two pairs I tried died after a month each, so I'll take two years! lol

I just got the Senso ones in June. The ones that died were the Audio 66 BTS. From what it sounds like 2 years is pretty good? They only saw heavy use for a few months.
  • Irontri7
    Options
    zdyb23456 wrote: »
    I just ordered these
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01N6DC2ZE/143-9369336-9863823

For $25 they might be worth a try. They have pretty good reviews.

I was looking at that style, which have the little bar to hold them in place as opposed to ear loops.
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    @PastorVincent Re: shoe replacement-- you don't have to change brands or even models. But it is helpful to have multiple ranges of drop heights in rotation at once. I run in shoes from 4-12 mm drop (heel to toe difference) from 3 brands: 2 New Balance models, 1 Saucony and 1 Mizuno. Different shoes for different distances and paces and needs. Definitely helps to change up training and keep your feet on their toes.
  • Irontri7
    Options
    @PastorVincent Re: shoe replacement-- you don't have to change brands or even models. But it is helpful to have multiple ranges of drop heights in rotation at once. I run in shoes from 4-12 mm drop (heel to toe difference) from 3 brands: 2 New Balance models, 1 Saucony and 1 Mizuno. Different shoes for different distances and paces and needs. Definitely helps to change up training and keep your feet on their toes.

Keep your feet on their toes..I see what you did there.
  • PastorVincent
    Options

I have TWO footwear things in rotation.

Shoe I run in - in any terrain or weather - NB 880v7
    Shoe I wear the rest of the time - in any terrain or weather - Merrel Waterproof hiking boots (style name worn off).

So you have A LOT more feet clothing options than I do. :)
  • KatieJane83
    KatieJane83 Posts: 2,002 Member
    Options

I just got the Senso ones in June. The ones that died were the Audio 66 BTS. From what it sounds like 2 years is pretty good? They only saw heavy use for a few months.

Oh crud, you did say that, didn't you? Lol Well, we'll see how they go!
  • AmyOutOfControl
    AmyOutOfControl Posts: 1,425 Member
    Options

8/2- 4+
    8/4- 5
    8/6- 6
    8/9- 5.5

@Irontri7 I agree - headphones are the worst. I am a serial headphone killer and I can't ever find a pair to stay in my ears. I use the kind that have hook like things that fit over the ear. These tend to stay in a little better. FYI- Bluetooth headphones seem to last me a shorter time than wired. I just use inexpensive earbuds because I know I am going to kill them soon anyway.
  • AmyOutOfControl
    AmyOutOfControl Posts: 1,425 Member
    Options
    hanlonsk wrote: »
    Well... can I still hang out with you awesome people if I am back to not being a runner? :( And probably will maintain benched status for a while.

PT guy at least got a kick out of me.... "how long has this been an issue?" "A while?" "K... one month... two?" "Ummm .... at least 5??" *pt guy starts laughing* "K... no judgement, I promise, just information gathering.... did you at least get to run your half marathon??" Yeah... I waited to go to doc till after, because I didn't want to run it against medical advice, so I waited to seek medical advice" *pt spits his water out laughing* "you might be a runner if.... it's ok, I caused myself some issues a while back with similar logic"

But... despite his empathy, I got put on a much less specific, but more inclusive "if it hurts, don't do it" type edict (this unfortunately definitely includes running). Both that, and the (not) spiffy new accessory below are in place at least pending MRI results. But, I'm guessing longer.
    28asfxc8toz2.jpg

Just when I thought I was on track for a monthly mileage goal....

On strength training- I am possibly the opposite. I run (ran?) because I like food too much to handle weight without running. And sometimes because due to anxiety/attitude makes lifting a bit safer if I burn some of it off first. I LOVE lifting. I try and make room for both. I still was lifting while training for the half this spring, just not quite as often, not as lengthy of sessions, and being ok with not increasing weight as much. Last 2 months have been nearly nothing but lifting- due to trying to comply with instructions in hopes it would prevent picture above.

@hanlonsk Sending quick healing thoughts your way. :)