August 2017 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• AmyOutOfControl
    AmyOutOfControl Posts: 1,425 Member
    Options
    8/1 = 4.5 miles
    8/2 = kettlebell strength training
    8/3 = 7.5 miles (six - 6 minute speed intervals)
    8/4 = 3.5 miles (track workout- 800m sprints & 200m recovery walk)
    8/5 = 4.5 miles
    8/6 = 15 miles
    8/7 = 3 miles on the dreadmill & strength training 45 minutes
    8/8 = 8 miles & vinyasa yoga class
    8/9 = 7.5 miles Tempo run
    8/10 = 5 miles run/walk

SO, the outside of my left hip is still a little sore/stiff this morning. Thankfully, the sharp pains from yesterday have subsided. Leave it to me to damage my hip getting out of a stupid office chair. I did some gentle stretches this morning and 5 SLOW miles of run/walk. The stiffness seemed to ease up somewhat after the run. I am going to have to cancel the track/speed-work with the running group tomorrow and take a rest day. Stupid middle-age body trying to tell me what I can and can't do!

And how the hell did I gain 7 pounds in 4 days (Yes, I know it's probable water weight). Today sucks.

(August miles) 58.5/150 (August goal miles)

Upcoming Races:
    8/19 = 100th Verns No Frills 5K
    10/28 = Hill Country Halloween Half Marathon
    12/10 = BCS Marathon
    1/6/18 = River Road Run Half Marathon
  • AmyOutOfControl
    Options
    8/1 - 5 miles
    8/2 - 4 miles
    8/3 - 6 miles
    8/4 - rest day
    8/5 - 8 miles
    8/6 - 3 miles
    8/7 - 0 miles - rest day
    8/8 - 5 miles
    8/9 - 5 miles
    8/10 - 5.6 miles happy birthday run - see what I did there 5.6 miles :wink:

41 of 80 miles

exercise.png

Skip got up with me this morning so she could run with me for my birthday. She said how far are we going, I said my age, she (still half asleep) looked at me and said "are you kidding me I can't run that far". I said honey I thought I'd put a decimal in there and we'll run 5.6 miles she said "duh" I was like really I was going to run 56 miles this morning before work, she just laughed and said "it's really early Momma" ha ha It was a very slow like 12:40 min miles but so nice, we talked and laughed and just had a great time, the first 2 minutes we like 13:27 and 13:20, she said you know that's my 2 mile time ha ha.

I also totally love that I got a text from my friend who is a new runner. Skip picks up her son for school so I sent her a text that she was running late that she got up and ran with me. Anyway her text said in honor of your birthday I ran 2.1 miles this morning, after all I know you are really 21. :heart:

@skippygirlsmom Happy birthday!
  • seanevan10
    seanevan10 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    girlinahat wrote: »
    srsly? and you call yourself a runner?

I always thought the equation for how many running shoes you should have was the same as the rule for bikes - n+1 where n=the number currently owned.

No I do not, but others like @MobyCarp insist that I am :lol:

so how many of you change out shoes for your runs? When did you start that? Early on? or when you were running many more miles?
  • AmyOutOfControl
    Options
    zdyb23456 wrote: »
    8/1 8miles 1hr:16m:25s
    8/2 6miles 60m:39s
    8/3 5miles 46m:32s
    8/4 rest
    8/5 12miles 1hr:57m:36s
    8/6 rest
    8/7 6miles 57m:25s
    8/8 5miles 49m:20s
    8/9 rest
    8/10 13.1miles!!!! 2hr:04m:17s

I did it! Another half marathon. It wasn't a race, just against myself and my last half marathon distance back in June. I headed out by 5:15am and it was a cool and comfortable 70 degrees. Dark. I've decided I really don't like running in the dark, but since I was running around my neighborhood it was very quiet and no traffic. Around 2-3 miles I was feeling like 13 miles was going to be impossible, but I just kept telling myself to take it one mile at a time. And just like that I did it. I swung by the water stop on the golf course once to refill my water bottle, which was still mostly full, but mentally I think it really eases my mind to know that I won't run out.

I ran it this morning 2:32 faster than last time. I didn't have my garmin forerunner last time and used runkeeper. I'm noticing that garmin is a .3 miles off from runkeeper - meaning if I go by runkeeper I ran it even faster. Alas, I am going by my Garmin since I hoping my $350 running watch is more accurate. :smile:

Even better is that I feel great right now. Last time I was a wreck. My husband had to help me into the house and I could barely even crawl into the shower. My stomach was so messed up and I was afraid I was going to puke. There is none of that this time! I feel like I've made a lot of progress in 9 weeks!

@zdyb23456 WooHoo! Great job!
  • shrcpr
    shrcpr Posts: 885 Member
    Options
    seanevan10 wrote: »

I always thought the equation for how many running shoes you should have was the same as the rule for bikes - n+1 where n=the number currently owned.

so how many of you change out shoes for your runs? When did you start that? Early on? or when you were running many more miles?

Wondering the same thing. Geez, it was hard enough to find one pair!
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    shrcpr wrote: »

Wondering the same thing. Geez, it was hard enough to find one pair!

Exactly!
  • 5512bf
    5512bf Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    @PastorVincent Re: shoe replacement-- you don't have to change brands or even models. But it is helpful to have multiple ranges of drop heights in rotation at once. I run in shoes from 4-12 mm drop (heel to toe difference) from 3 brands: 2 New Balance models, 1 Saucony and 1 Mizuno. Different shoes for different distances and paces and needs. Definitely helps to change up training and keep your feet on their toes.

I have TWO footwear things in rotation.

Shoe I run in - in any terrain or weather - NB 880v7
    Shoe I wear the rest of the time - in any terrain or weather - Merrel Waterproof hiking boots (style name worn off).

So you have A LOT more feet clothing options than I do. :)

I've always ran in the same brand/style of shoe. It was hard to find something that i liked and felt comfortable in so once i found it i bought a bunch of them. I may have 2-3 pair I run in at the same time but i've killed about 14 pair of Adidas Sequence Boost in the past 3 years. They are good for about 400-500 miles. I even go as far wearing the retired shoes for walking shoes, yard shoes, gym shoes, etc. With the boost foam it doesn't break down, I just wear through the rubber in a few spots while running so they are just as comfortable to walk in after retiring.
  • 5512bf
    5512bf Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    August Goal - 120 Miles

8/1/17 - 4.02 Easy
    8/2/17 - 4.15 Easy
    8/3/17 - 4.0 Easy
    8/4/17 - 4.5 Easy
    8/5/17 - 6.0 Easy
    8/6/17 - 3.0 Easy
    8/8/17 - 5.01 Easy
    8/9/17 - 5.01 Easy
    8/10/17 - 5.01 Easy

Total 40.7 of 120

Pretty much a CTRL C / CTRL V run from the past few days.
  • kimlight2
    kimlight2 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    @skippygirlsmom - Happy Birthday!

@PastorVincent - You are definitely a real runner even if you only use 1 pair of shoes :wink:

To add to the shoe debate I have 2 pairs that I rotate between but I just started doing that when I began half training. I do have a third pair new in their box but I am waiting until my current ones get a little more up there in miles before adding them into the rotation.
  • seanevan10
    seanevan10 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    @skippygirlsmom HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! August birthdays are the best! Mine is tuesday! Hope you have a great day!
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    @skippygirlsmom HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! August birthdays are the best! Mine is tuesday! Hope you have a great day!

Happy Birthday @skippygirlsmom ! And Happy Early Birthday to @seanevan10 !
  • KatieJane83
    KatieJane83 Posts: 2,002 Member
    Options
    @skippygirlsmom Happy Birthday!!!

• cburke8909
    cburke8909 Posts: 990 Member
    Options
    @skippygirlsmom Happy birthday!!!
  • KatieJane83
    KatieJane83 Posts: 2,002 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    8/1 - 6 mile hot lunch run/2 mile dreadmill run before lifting
    8/2 - 11 mile run w/RRR track workout: 1600/1200/800/400/400m ladder w/800/600/400/200/200m recovery jogs
    8/3 - 4 mile slow recovery run
    8/4 - 9 mile LT tempo run: miles 5-8 @ ~LTHR
    8/5 - 4 mile slow recovery run
    8/6 - 16 mile long run - another distance PR!
    8/7 - wonderful rainy REST day!
    8/8 - 8 mile general aerobic run
    8/9 - 9.5 mile run w/RRR track workout: 2x2400m (times - 12:02 & 11:42)

August Total: 69.5/225
    979.1 miles/2,017 miles - goal for the year

Last night was RRR summer track workout, and I needed 9 miles. So I ran about 4.3 miles before hitting the group at the track and starting the workout. Last night was long intervals, which I think I kinda like. It was 2x2400m with 800m recovery jog in between the two. They said to push slightly faster than current 5k pace. I couldn't remember what that was exactly, lol (just looked it up, it was 7:46 avg in last month's 5k), but I knew I didn't want to kill myself, since I'd already run almost 4.5 miles and still needed to get myself home. Ended up keeping the first interval at around 7:55ish I think, according to my watch, and the second interval around 7:45-7:50ish. My times were somewhere around 12:02min for the 1st interval and 11:42min for the 2nd. The really good news though is my HR info. For both of those intervals I was actually in Zone 3 the whole time, basically hitting around what I think my LT HR is towards the end of each interval. And again, this is after having already run a chunk of miles. This means that I think my pace is still improving, as my 5k pace should be faster based on last night's data. So that's exciting.

In other news, provided the rest of my week goes to plan, after the first 0.4 of a mile on Sunday's run I will have hit 1,000 miles for the year so far! I did the math, and if I can get ALL of my planned mileage in between now and my marathon on November 19th (fat chance, I know, but one can dream!) I will need 153 miles from then until the end of the year to get 2,017 miles in 2017. We'll see how it goes, but hopefully I make it!
  • Dcorrick
    Dcorrick Posts: 56 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    [quote=
    @Dcorrick ugh, BT headphones. I'm still not convinced they're worth it at this point. I've been through two pairs so far, where the battery just ended up going kaput and stopped holding a charge, after about a month. I have a new pair, in a different brand, currently still sitting at home in their box. One of these days I'll break them out, charge them up, and give them a chance, lol.
    [/quote]

The headphones aren't just for the music. I use Spotify's "running" feature to give me a playlist at a certain beats per minute (right now, 165; thinking I'll move up) to maintain my pace. Also MapMyRun gives me updates on the intervals, etc. I have a pair for the gym bag and a pair for running, and have been fairly lucky so far.

That being said, I'm not sure I could do miles without some music in my head. It drowns out most of the OTHER things that usually populate my head. And I tried wired ones: failing while flailing.

exercise.png
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options

I disagree. October birthdays are the best......

Happy birthday @skippygirlsmom - no way are you that first age you said. 21 and a bit and not a day older!!

Happy birthday for Tuesday @seanevan10
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,973 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    August Goal: 60 miles

8/1: 4 miles
    8/2: 3.1 miles
    8/3: 2.2 miles
    8/5: kr30dc day 1
    8/6: 5.4 miles; kr30dc day 2
    8/7: 3.1 miles; kr30dc day 3
    8/8: 2.7 miles; kr30dc day 4
    8/9: 3.1 miles; kr30dc day 5
    8/10: kr30dc day 6

23.6/60 miles completed

I was too tired to post last night so I'm posting this morning. I did the kr30dc today too. Mondays through Fridays I do yoga in the morning and that is when I've been doing the kr30dc. I may switch that next week and do it later after my runs. I won't be able to do it if I do a lunch run though so who knows.

My run last night ended up being pretty good. It started out kind of sucky. It was still too hot and I've been stressed about some other stuff lately and I was just not feeling it when I started. But as the run went on I got more into the zone and I was really glad I did it. Today will definitely be a rest day. I've been trying to decide which days I want to run. Right now I am on a 4 days per week run schedule. I do my "long" runs on Sunday and then either run Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday. Or Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday. I kind of have been playing it by ear and just watching the weather or if I have too many things scheduled and deciding that way which days I'll run. It was hot yesterday, but we are supposed to hit 100 for the next few days plus I have to go with my husband this afternoon for a doctor appointment and I could end up missing today so I ran yesterday instead of today. I guess it doesn't really matter which days I run. But I kind of don't like having 3 non-running days in a row. Who ever thought I would be whining because I don't get to run every day? I am really trying to learn to be more flexible with my schedule, but honestly that annoys me.

@hanlonsk Sorry about your injury, but your PT story was pretty funny.

@zdyb23456 Congrats on the HM PR.

@amymoreorless Hip pain sucks. I hope you feel better soon.

@skippygirlsmom Happy Birthday!

@seanevan10 I never know quite what to do about shoes. Right now I just have 1 pair at a time that I run in. I know I should go to a running store and get fitted, but I live out in the boonies and I don't even know where the closest running store is. I imagine there are some in Ft. Worth, but that is 95 miles away. And there could be a running store in Abilene, but still that is 60 miles away. I usually order shoes online. The only store that sells shoes here is Wal-Mart, and aside from house shoes or the occasional flip-flops for the lake, I don't buy shoes there.

exercise.png