Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

What are your unpopular opinions about health / fitness?

Options

Replies

• J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    CSARdiver wrote: »
    These sentiments tell you more about the individual protesting and how toxic their thoughts are.

^^^100%
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    Options
    Macy9336 wrote: »
    Carlos_421 wrote: »
    I'm late to the thread (it's been a fun read!) but figured I'd throw in my two cents...

I hate the "my coworker is trying to sabotage my weight loss by bringing in treats!" whine. And I don't just say this as a coworker who brings in said treats, I say it as a human being who has free will and doesn't have a paranoid chip on her shoulder, chocolate or otherwise.

You are not so special, and the world not so petty, that Becky from accounting is trying to derail your – yes, YOUR! PERSONAL!– weight loss goals. Even if she is, you aren't tied to your office chair while she crams cookies fois gras-style down your gullet (if this is the case, I think OSHA would be a better organization to contact than MFP). Occam's razor would say that your coworker is trying to be nice and, also, you aren't the only person in the office, buttercup. Maybe Josh from marketing or that guy who delivers the mail whom you've never bothered to learn the name of would like an afternoon pick-me-up.

The "solutions" to this "problem" are usually just as bad. I especially hate the, "throw it away in front of them, they'll get the hint" one. Again, I AM that coworker who brings in homemade goods, and based on feedback, I am a damn good cook. I've also lost 35lb in the last year. I love to bake (it's very soothing) but I don't have much of a sweet tooth so I undoubtedly make more than I know I'd eat for weeks. So, why not share the bounty? Honestly, if a coworker accepted a brownie and then made sure that I saw them throw it in the trash, I wouldn't "take the hint" that I'm not supposed to bring in treats. I'd be a little hurt because I put time, money and effort into doing something nice for the office and you're frankly coming across like a world-class kittenhole and remarkable egotist for no good reason. Even if your coworker is bringing in dollar-store doughnuts, they spent their money to be nice. Hell, my supervisor's treat last month sent me into anaphylaxis and I don't shout "murderer!" every time I see her (sometimes. Not every time.)

Maybe I'm completely wrong. Maybe there really are Brazil-esque businesses where your coworkers surround you chanting "EAT! THE! CAKE!!! EAT! THE! CAKE!!!" and you get a zap to the cajones if you refuse. Is that what real office jobs are like? I've worked in non-profits my professional career, we're kind of the hippies of the corporate world.

I personally think this cake culture is a damaging maladaption. It's not a "nice" thing to bring in fat pills. It's definitely a bad thing to do. But because we have a cake culture in offices, it's almost expected that everyone take their turn bringing in sugary, fatty foods with which to tempt each other. Also to order and share a cake when a coworker has a birthday...yuck. It's just not a healthy practice for us humans to have adopted and yet we have and there's all kind of societal expectations around accepting the food, taking your turn to bring in food, etc. The sooner gone the better.

You've inspired me...I plan to bring in donuts for my team tomorrow.

Seriously, there's no reason we can't eat sweets in moderation, especially as part of a celebration of a person and/or their achievements.

Lol. I hate sweets. Cannot stomach icing...so sweet my teeth hurt. So to me, it's torture to have to pretend to eat some kind of gooey treat. Blerg.

So don't eat it? Plenty of people turn down the treats brought in. NBD.

Communal sharing of food at times of celebration is as old as humans are. To make out it's some kind of modern cultural scourge is again pretty odd. Eat it or don't and move on with your day.

I was going to jump in with this, but you said it so much better!
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Bry_Lander wrote: »
    annaskiski wrote: »
    I'm sad for all the cakes feeling terrible now.

Just because someone has a desk job doesn't mean they're lazy AF. They just happen to have a job that isn't active. I'd say the bigger problem here is a culture of screens as entertainment in their various forms than the bringing of cakes to work. People who are more active have little issue fitting in calorie dense deliciousness into their day and why shouldn't they if they can.

Side note: cake doesn't give you cancer because of its toxicity, straw man to compare it to cigarettes.

Not really a straw man as studies have shown that being overweight is as bad as smoking insofar as risk of premature death. Cake can make you overweight...especially as part of a program of unhealthy snacking whilst doing sedentary activities. Both obesity and smoking increase the risk of cancer. It doesn't matter how the cancer is caused ( toxicity vs. Excess fat) you still die.

Seriously dude, you have an eating disorder.

I work in an office, and the there are a large variety of people here. There's a group that bikes for miles before/after during lunch. Another large group converted an unused storage room into a large lifting area. (They brought in those cushiony floor mats, a power cage, several squat racks, etc). Yes, there are some overweight people here as well. I would estimate they make up about 25% of the people here. (Several hundred peeps in this building.) So not the majority by any means.

Sharing food to express friendship has been the cultural norm for humans for thousands of years.
    Perhaps you have a problem with cake. You need to learn to deal with it, or you will not be successful. Understand, not everyone needs to lose weight, has diabetes, or other health issues. Cake is not a deadly food.

My office work culture mirrors (or is perhaps worse) than the country as a whole, with perhaps over 70% overweight. How you guys ended up with a workforce of only 25% overweight is amazing, someone should do a case study on your culture!

Our corporate wellness group is desperately trying to get our overweight workforce to adopt healthier lifestyle habits with dismal results The smoking area outside is bustling as is the cafeteria section that sells fried and breaded food. Our site fitness center is never busy and the people there are the ones that need it the least. Charity fundraising entails selling donuts and walking tacos to hundreds of people who would not be able to buy them if the elevator broke down and they had to climb a flight of stairs or two. "Cake Culture" is not an urban legend, I see it in practice all the time.

That's pretty much the way is it where I work, except we don't have a site fitness center (and we have over 4,000 people on site so not a small sample size regarding the 70% overweight/obese).
This discussion has been closed.