Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

What are your unpopular opinions about health / fitness?

Options

Replies

• annaskiski
    annaskiski Posts: 1,212 Member
    Options
    BTW, I just looked up obesity rates in the US, and in my state (MA), the rate is 20-25%.
    If you live somewhere with a 70 % obesity rate, ummm, you have to tell us where you live, as the top states are at about 35%..
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,958 Member
    Options
    annaskiski wrote: »
    BTW, I just looked up obesity rates in the US, and in my state (MA), the rate is 20-25%.
    If you live somewhere with a 70 % obesity rate, ummm, you have to tell us where you live, as the top states are at about 35%..

The "overweight" category has a greater number.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    wmd1979 wrote: »
    I have decided cake culture sucks.

I don't have an office job, but if I did, cake culture would just be a blur of cakes, cookies, bagels and whatnot that people would be mocking ME ME ME ME with that I couldn't eat because gluten.

Therefor, cake culture should be banished. Because I can't get in on it.

We have to think of everyone's feelings, right? That's how this works, isn't it? Am I doing this right?

Unfortunately, this is exactly how stuff like this gets banned. One person gets their feelings hurt, or feels offended when people are generally just trying to be nice and cries about it until nobody else can partake.

Its cake. For people's birthdays. Good God, I don't even know how this topic has sustained debate. If you don't want cake, don't eat cake. If you are unable to say no, or feel the need to pretend to eat it then you have much larger issues than the person bringing in the cake.

I hope you realize that I was employing the sarcasm font. :)

I'm in full agreement that it's quite simple to just say no, and if people pushing the cake get butthurt about it, that's their problem. I don't owe anyone anything other than saying "thanks for offering, but no thank you, I'm not hungry."
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Speziface wrote: »
    mmapags wrote: »
    bweath2 wrote: »
    Cardio is a waste of time (unless you actually enjoy it).

Or enjoy the stronger heart and more plentiful food.

I'll stick with my strong heart and plentiful food from weightlifting and HIIT. More bang for the buck.

Not in my experience. Can't sustain HIIT long enough to burn any meaningful amount of calories, and whatever I burn I eat back twofold or more because it increases my hunger substantially. Now don't get me wrong, no one has to do cardio (or weight lifting, or HIIT for that matter), but you can't call any form of exercise a waste of time because there are clear benefits to being active, health and otherwise.

Yes, sitting on your *kitten* is a much greater waste of time.
    Since I don't like exercising in general, I'm going to spend the least amount of time possible to get the greatest benefit which means high intensity. I just want to get it over with so I can get back to thing I enjoy.

And that's totally alright! It's just, this sounds more like preference than opinion.

Nah, I still am not a fan of cardio(but it's better than nothing). I believe there are much greater benefits from high intensity exercise.
    How do you know you don't burn as much calories doing HIIT? I believe that much shorter, high intensity exercise may not burn as much at the time, but the residual calorie burn from greater muscle stimulation lasts much longer resulting in more CO.

EPOC (Excess Post Exercise Oxygen Consunption) for HIIT is 14%, for Low Impact Steady State it's 7%. That's the % of residual burn of calories burned during. FWIW. HIIT can't be done for very long so the overall burn is not that big. If you could do 30 minutes of HIIT, your Butner with EPOCH would be about the same as 60 minutes of LISS but who can do 30 minutes of HIIT??

This would depend on the intensity of the HIIT. And as @GottaBurnEmAll stated not all "HIIT" is equal. To me, HIIT means the intervals are 100% all out.

That is the HIIT I'm talking about and in exercise physiology circle based on studies, that is the commonly accepted number. This was discussed in detail on the Lyle McDonald article sjomial linked to. It is also the number Dr. Brad Shoenfeld uses. It pretty objective and not really the subject of much speculation as to variance.

Less that 100% all out would not technically be HIIT but would be considered interval training. The EPOC would fall somewhere between LISS and HIIT depending on intensity. All HIIT is not equal because the Marketing woo machines call everything HIIT today. Things like 1 hours HIIT classes. If you can do it for 1 hour, it ain't HIIT!!

PS: The link sjomial gave is the 2nd in a series of in depth article about the subject and references a lot of the current research. If that is the link you are kind of dismissive of in one of your posts above, I suggest you didn't read it thoroughly. There are links to both the initial article in the series and the following ones at the bottom of the one posted.

I did read it, but I'll look at the references too. My main leaning to HIIT over cardio is that it is closer to weightlifting in it's muscle building potential... if I am not mistaken. However, I pretty much just lift and try to stay away from all that gross running stuff...

The studies that showed muscle building improvements were done with untrained subjects. In someone like you are me doing weight training that has not been demonstrated. In a trained individual, the benefit is primarily increase in VO2 max. HIIT in trained subjects provides cardio benefit.

If you read the series of articles, he covers all of this.

Ah..
    So, I understand how HIIT would not improve muscle building in someone who lifts. But wouldn't it build muscle in someone who typically only does cardio (steady state)?

Possibly, I don't know. It wasn't one of the scenarios addressed.

It should. Think of HIIT (or any cardio workout) as a VERY long weightlifting set using VERY light weights. For example, if you're riding a bicycle for an hour and keep an average cadence of 80 rpm on the pedals you've just done 4,800 repetitions. That'll build muscle.

I think anything that creates overload will cause some muscle growth if nutritional conditions are right. But, as I said, in the sources I read, it was not addressed. Sadly, many of the studies on HIIT seem to have been done on college campuses utilizing untrained students and the subjects. In Lyle McDonalds articles, he talks about this and how it confounds much of the results.

Obviously, if someone is working, say legs, a couple of times in the gym per week, running or bike riding is not likely to cause lots of muscle development. I can't say it wouldn't cause any though as the act of running or riding is slightly different than weight lifting. So, I'm sure there would be some muscular adaptation that would take place. Whether that would result in hypertrophy though may be questionable. More likely neuromuscular recruitment adaptations.
  • wmd1979
    wmd1979 Posts: 469 Member
    Options

I don't have an office job, but if I did, cake culture would just be a blur of cakes, cookies, bagels and whatnot that people would be mocking ME ME ME ME with that I couldn't eat because gluten.

We have to think of everyone's feelings, right? That's how this works, isn't it? Am I doing this right?

Unfortunately, this is exactly how stuff like this gets banned. One person gets their feelings hurt, or feels offended when people are generally just trying to be nice and cries about it until nobody else can partake.

Its cake. For people's birthdays. Good God, I don't even know how this topic has sustained debate. If you don't want cake, don't eat cake. If you are unable to say no, or feel the need to pretend to eat it then you have much larger issues than the person bringing in the cake.

I'm in full agreement that it's quite simple to just say no, and if people pushing the cake get butthurt about it, that's their problem. I don't owe anyone anything other than saying "thanks for offering, but no thank you, I'm not hungry."

Oh yeah, the sarcasm was pretty evident and your posts rarely fail to clearly make your point. I just know that even though you were being sarcastic, there are others out there who legitimately would love to ban this sort of thing.
  • Bry_Fitness70
    Bry_Fitness70 Posts: 2,480 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    annaskiski wrote: »

*Note that I stated "overweight", not exclusively obese

0l6axu6gjdxa.png
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,958 Member
    Options

Of course we all know that one insecure/compliment-seeker who just wants us to pat him/her on the back and tell them what a great person they are for bringing in XX and how delicious it is and how their XX is so much better than anything we've ever tasted, and, "You'll have to give me your recipe," and blah blah blah. Ego strokes, please.

You'll recognize her/him by the thread that is titled, "No one ever compliments me on my weight loss, why????"

Then next week s/he will complain that someone is objectifying him/her with their comments.

Ugh I worked with her. I want to post her name here so you will look out for her, but I'm guessing we all know one.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options

Of course we all know that one insecure/compliment-seeker who just wants us to pat him/her on the back and tell them what a great person they are for bringing in XX and how delicious it is and how their XX is so much better than anything we've ever tasted, and, "You'll have to give me your recipe," and blah blah blah. Ego strokes, please.

You'll recognize her/him by the thread that is titled, "No one ever compliments me on my weight loss, why????"

Then next week s/he will complain that someone is objectifying him/her with their comments.

Ugh I worked with her. I want to post her name here so you will look out for her, but I'm guessing we all know one.

Yes, we do all know at least one of these. I'm sure I have been viewed as a jerk by those types when I have politely said, I will try just a little taste to see how good it is but I'm working on keeping my youthful figure (joke, joke). I'm not one to cave to pressure and will push back till they stop. I don't owe anyone to have to eat their food to validate them.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options

In a working culture, the individual with their feelings hurt is allowed to air their grievance in a positive and problem solving manner. Passive aggressive tendencies are monitored, tracked, and corrected. If corrective action is not effective then the bad actor is removed and replaced.
This discussion has been closed.