Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

What are your unpopular opinions about health / fitness?

Replies

• mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,937 Member
    Carlos_421 wrote: »
    if "cake culture" was so prevalent - I would expect some anthropology, sociology, psychological type entity to have done some kind of study on it but see nada in google scholar (an article in a newspaper does not count unless its linked to a peer reviewed journal)

Why do I get the feeling Michael Moore will not be doing a documentary on this?

Because it would be a memoir?

Snort.

I tell you what though, I deserve a medal for reading about cake for two days now and not going and getting some. Because you guyz are some hardcore cake pushers, you should be ashamed of your enabling behaviour giving no regard for me losing weight.

You inspire me!!
  • jondspen
    jondspen Posts: 253 Member
    Why would someone get offended if you don't eat what they brought to work? First, I have worked with people who I know (and actually seen) don't wash their hands after visiting the b-room...why in the hell would I want to eat something your nasty azz makes? Second, I have food intolerance (gluten and lactose), so can't eat a lot of stuff for medical reasons. If someone got pissy, oh well....it's not them that have to wake up at 3am with intense cramps and other not-nice-to-mention problems, possibly take a sick day from it. Third, I will bring stuff in sometimes, but it is always prepared/packaged, and may even be a fruit or veggie tray on occasion in addition to a box of cookies. I understand cultural norms are different in some places about being offered food, but if I refuse and tell them I can't b/c of medical reasons, yet they still try to peer pressure me into eating...it's not me be rude....it's them IMHO.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,937 Member
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Re: People repeatedly urging treats on others at work (which is not identical to acting all offended if they don't accept, even though sensitive individuals may feel differently).

There exist, or have existed, subcultures with politeness rituals around offering and accepting food (outside immediate family). My family's geographic/national-origin background included one where, if you went to someone's home, and they offered you a treat, it was polite to refuse twice before finally accepting on the third offer. Some people got a reputation as stingy and inhospitable because they would only offer twice.

I'm not suggesting that this ritual is even slightly common, only that it has been a thing. Evaluating other people's motivations and intentions can be difficult, in environments where people's backgrounds are diverse.

Well my old Italian grandmother was an outright, aggressive food pusher. If you went to her house and didn't partake, you were told quite directly to not come back again. As she would say, " you comma my house and no eat, you no comma my house". Interestingly, little to no obesity ran in that side of the family. One aunt I think was the only one that could be classified as obese out of 11 children plus spouses and over 50 grandchildren.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    lokihen wrote: »
    "Pepper Culture" has taken over my workplace! Co-workers are bringing in their harvests of hot peppers; yesterday it was ghost, habanero and jalapeno.

Peer pressure and offense sure to follow.

Why does this never happen at my workplace? :'(

I sometimes get greens, zucchini, or tomatoes, but nobody ever brings me ghost peppers.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member

Compared to when I started full-time office work in the 1970s, there's been a noticeable decrease in teams going out during working hours and drinking silly amounts of alcohol, though. Cake at work is probably safer, and more productive work-wise.

True. Sweet treats in the lunchroom does seem to have replaced the three martini lunch.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    earlnabby wrote: »

Compared to when I started full-time office work in the 1970s, there's been a noticeable decrease in teams going out during working hours and drinking silly amounts of alcohol, though. Cake at work is probably safer, and more productive work-wise.

True. Sweet treats in the lunchroom does seem to have replaced the three martini lunch.

I like your idea better!
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    wmd1979 wrote: »
    Someone brought a carrot cake with cream cheese icing in to my workplace today. We almost never really make anything like that at home so it is nice having the option to enjoy a treat from time to time. Plus carrots are a vegetable so its kind of like I am having a salad.

Too much like salad...
    Give me a chocolate cake with chocolate icing.
  • earlnabby
    Someone brought a carrot cake with cream cheese icing in to my workplace today. We almost never really make anything like that at home so it is nice having the option to enjoy a treat from time to time. Plus carrots are a vegetable so its kind of like I am having a salad.

That is something I would avoid. I don't like the texture of carrot cake and the cream cheese frosting is too sweet for my taste.

New debate topic:

1) Cream cheese or buttercream?
    2) Frosting or icing?

Buttercream person here.
    If it is thick gloopy stuff, it is frosting. If it is thinner, it is icing. if you can see though it, it is glaze.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member

Too much like salad...

Chocolate cones from plants as well...
  • earlnabby
    edited September 2017
    nutmegoreo wrote: »

Too much like salad...

Yup, you are eating the processed seeds so chocolate is like peanut butter.

Chocolate in its infancy:
    hejt84yva3pc.jpg

• earlnabby

That is something I would avoid. I don't like the texture of carrot cake and the cream cheese frosting is too sweet for my taste.

New debate topic:

1) Cream cheese or buttercream?
    2) Frosting or icing?

Buttercream person here.
    If it is thick gloopy stuff, it is frosting. If it is thinner, it is icing. if you can see though it, it is glaze.

And if it's able to stop a bullet, it's fondant.

Unless it is the melted fondant candy used to cover petit fours.
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member

Too much like salad...

Yup, you are eating the processed seeds so chocolate is like peanut butter.

Plus there's caffeine. Increases your heart rate. Chocolate cake = eating a salad while on the treadmill.

I prefer to think of it as eating peanut butter on the trampoline.
This discussion has been closed.