Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

What are your unpopular opinions about health / fitness?

Replies

• Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Macy9336 wrote: »
    Don't know what the point is from those saying they've never ( as far as they know) offended anyone by turning down treats in the office. Are you all saying that because you haven't encountered it, it doesn't or can't happen? Or what?

"as far as they know" may also be a key here. Or they work with reasonable people that don't get offended when people refuse food. I've had people try to force food on me at work (sweet or not) but they've never acted offended when I repeatedly refuse. We're all still friendly.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    TR0berts wrote: »
    bweath2 wrote: »
    mph323 wrote: »
    pie = 3.14...
    cake = 42

cake > pie

Cake is the answer to the ultimate question of life, the universe and everything?

Almost. The full answer is "carrot cake."

No no no no no. Either lemon drizzle or lemon with lemon cream cheese frosting.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    J72FIT wrote: »
    What's next? Cake free zones? Where is the personal accountability for one's own actions? If you want to move forward you have to stop blaming others for your situation...

QFT!
  • mmapags
    pvi6yzjr155h.jpg

Er, thank you but I'm not very hungry right now.

Yup, that would be my response. Or, as I stated earlier, I would joke that it looks fab but I'm watching my youthful figure (I'm 66). I would feel under no obligation to eat any.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    mmapags wrote: »
    pvi6yzjr155h.jpg

Yup, that would be my response. Or, as I stated earlier, I would joke that it looks fab but I'm watching my youthful figure (I'm 66). I would feel under no obligation to eat any.

Conversely. I'd eat it. If I had room for it. It's fun. And tasty. Win win.
  • mmapags
    za4vdbwxa5cc.jpg
    Come on, you know you want some!

"Lol, actually I don't really. Thanks but no thanks". Seems like you might be projecting that because you wouldn't want to offend, you think we all feel that way. I would complement the creativity and not eat any.
  • mmapags
    pvi6yzjr155h.jpg

Conversely. I'd eat it. If I had room for it. It's fun. And tasty. Win win.

Exactly!!
  • annaskiski
    annaskiski Posts: 1,212 Member
    pvi6yzjr155h.jpg

Are those strawberries with teeth? I'd totally grab them all..
  • Macy9336
    Macy9336 Posts: 694 Member
    Don't know what the point is from those saying they've never ( as far as they know) offended anyone by turning down treats in the office. Are you all saying that because you haven't encountered it, it doesn't or can't happen? Or what?

I'm one who said it and while I don't doubt it does happen to sometimes, I'm pointing out it may not be as widespread or culturally dominant as you claim it is.

It's like families. Some people have parents or grandparents who encourage hearty eating, other people have parents or grandparents that are different.

By "it" do you mean cake culture or people taking offence? It's obvious that cake culture is dominant...it is plainly evidenced by the sheer numbers of people on this thread defending it vs. the few ( myself included ) who have some mild criticisms of it ( I've said only that it's "unhealthy" and "not nice"). As for people taking offence....well I don't think I ever made any statement as to the frequency or dominance of that occurrence.
  • Bry_Fitness70
    Bry_Fitness70 Posts: 2,480 Member
    edited September 2017
    Bry_Lander wrote: »
    VioletRojo wrote: »
    Denying the existence of a Cake Culture seems a little silly when the mere mention of "cake" inspires multiple pages of passionate gushing over cake and other desserts...

I think what is being denied is that Cake Culture is a bad thing.

Or that "Cake Culture" (seriously?... ok...) is responsible for obesity.

I don't think that It is responsible for obesity - but for a lot of people, it enables and perpetuates obesity.

I respectfully disagree. It doesn't "do" anything. It's just an inanimate food object. Peoples choices enable and perpetuate obesity. If you are obese, you know you should not be overindulging in cake.

Once someone is obese, they probably have insulin sensitivity issues that help keep them obese. But, cake doesn't enable and perpetuate anything. It's just a kind of food. We have all kinds of foods around us every day everywhere we go. It's all about people making choices.

Yes food is an inanimate object, as are cigarettes, alcohol, and drugs. And yet millions of people are overweight, smoke, are alcoholics, and are drug addicts - tell them to knock it off.

Peer pressure and the need for social acceptance play an enormous role in addiction. I don’t find the value in stuffing my face with cake with obese people or doing shots at the bar with alcoholics, even though I am not obese and not an alcoholic. There are social events that can further relationship building without perpetuating destructive habits.
    And that is all because a certain % of the population make personal choices that are destructive. Lot's don't. These things are amoral. They have no ability to make choices or make people do things by their existence.

As to the 2nd bolded line, I'd say that depends on the event. If were talking about someone bringing baked goods into work, I think the "cake culture" analogy has been drawn to a ridiculous extreme if it is called "destructive habits". Destructive for whom? Are we really attempting to reduce what has happened with obesity over the last 75 years to people bringing cake into the office. Absurd really.

Totally missing my point. If people want to eat cake until they literally explode at work every day they are perfectly free to do that. If an alcoholic wants to drown himself in vodka that is his business. You can smoke until your lungs are two lumps of charred coal, have at it. I just don’t care to perpetuate it or glorify it.
This discussion has been closed.