Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

What are your unpopular opinions about health / fitness?

Replies

• curiouskate
    curiouskate Posts: 36 Member
    I never listened when people told me the dire statistics until I became one. I used to get mad at the suggestion, in fact. And remember that "20% success rate" includes anyone who kept off 10% of their weight loss. Heck, by that standard I won! But I don't consider gaining back 90% of what I lost success at all. I doubt many people would.

I know this is a futile effort because people generally never think bad things could happen to them, but I just wish I personally had been more humble and less arrogant in the past. It stings to eat those words, it really does. I remember getting real mad at this one woman who said she regained because her child died. I feel so bad about that now- wish I could apologize to her. But I did not understand how it happens. Now I do, from watching all my WL friends and myself.

Also there's nothing special about MFP. People have been calorie counting for decades, it's just that now there's an app. Weight Watchers is basically calorie counting and it has the same dismal long term success rate of anything.

re: the bold section. What are you referring to when you "this is a futile effort"?

Trying to tell people about what happens to most people who lose weight. Nobody wants to hear it. I get that.

Why would they? It's the glass 3/4 empty point of view. Most would rather hear abut the 1/4 glass full.

Totally agree. But I think it makes more rational sense to be realistic. Know that if you are going to be in that small minority it is going to be a challenge forever. Never get complacent. And even if you believe you can do it, know that things are going to change in your life and you might not know now how you will handle it. And mostly I wish people had more compassion for ourselves and others. I keep saying this, but the people who were losing weight when I did, ~10 years ago, we were the "heros" and "success stories." It doesn't insulate you. The "success stories" of today may find themselves in my shoes 10 years from now. Statistics say most will,
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    I never listened when people told me the dire statistics until I became one. I used to get mad at the suggestion, in fact. And remember that "20% success rate" includes anyone who kept off 10% of their weight loss. Heck, by that standard I won! But I don't consider gaining back 90% of what I lost success at all. I doubt many people would.

I know this is a futile effort because people generally never think bad things could happen to them, but I just wish I personally had been more humble and less arrogant in the past. It stings to eat those words, it really does. I remember getting real mad at this one woman who said she regained because her child died. I feel so bad about that now- wish I could apologize to her. But I did not understand how it happens. Now I do, from watching all my WL friends and myself.

Also there's nothing special about MFP. People have been calorie counting for decades, it's just that now there's an app. Weight Watchers is basically calorie counting and it has the same dismal long term success rate of anything.

re: the bold section. What are you referring to when you "this is a futile effort"?

Trying to tell people about what happens to most people who lose weight. Nobody wants to hear it. I get that.

Why would they? It's the glass 3/4 empty point of view. Most would rather hear abut the 1/4 glass full.

Totally agree. But I think it makes more rational sense to be realistic. Know that if you are going to be in that small minority it is going to be a challenge forever. Never get complacent. And even if you believe you can do it, know that things are going to change in your life and you might not know now how you will handle it. And mostly I wish people had more compassion for ourselves and others. I keep saying this, but the people who were losing weight when I did, ~10 years ago, we were the "heros" and "success stories." It doesn't insulate you. The "success stories" of today may find themselves in my shoes 10 years from now. Statistics say most will,

Being realistic doesn't mean assuming failure. I think a lot of people are realistic. That's why MFP has a forum just for maintainers.

A much smaller forum than General Diet & Weight Loss, and much less active. ;)

Just sayin'. Gonna keep working to stay in there myself, though.

Me too.
  • Need2Exerc1se

So, do you believe your results would have been different if you had known the statistics before? Do you think knowing that you have a high risk of regaining most of the weight have made you more likely to keep it off?
  • curiouskate

So, do you believe your results would have been different if you had known the statistics before? Do you think knowing that you have a high risk of regaining most of the weight have made you more likely to keep it off?

I believe that being less arrogant about it may not have helped me keep it off, but it would have saved me a lot of apologies/embarrassment when I was wrong.
  • curiouskate
    Anyway I'm giving it another go now, so if I get a different outcome, I'll come back and tell people in another decade ;)
  • Need2Exerc1se

I believe that being less arrogant about it may not have helped me keep it off, but it would have saved me a lot of apologies/embarrassment when I was wrong.

I see. I was just wondering why you kept pushing the point when pretty much everyone agreed that the odds were against long term weight loss. Expecting anyone who is losing weight to say they expect to regain 90% of the weight is pretty unrealistic. Of course we all expect to be in the 20%. Nothing wrong with that.
  • curiouskate

I see. I was just wondering why you kept pushing the point when pretty much everyone agreed that the odds were against long term weight loss. Expecting anyone who is losing weight to say they expect to regain 90% of the weight is pretty unrealistic. Of course we all expect to be in the 20%. Nothing wrong with that.

Yes I agree, that's why my opinion is "unpopular" even thought it's factual.

I personally have no expectations anymore. I cannot tell the future. I'll do my best, and that's all anybody can do.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    I think asking people not to be smug about their current success, and to have compassion for others, is fair enough. Indeed, it's a lesson I learnt in other areas of my life long since, and however well my weight loss goes, I am never going to sniff in contempt at others' poorer success.

I agree with this, but I didn't notice people NOT being compassionate for others in this current discussion (in others, sure).
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    lynn6241 wrote: »
    I haven't voiced this before because it is very non MFP of me

I believe you can lose weight safely and get all the nutrition required on a VLC (800-900 calories) diet by eating the right (i.e. healthy) foods and cutting out "junk".

Why do you believe this?
  • curiouskate
    shrcpr wrote: »
    Fair enough, but I know myself.

Where your post rubbed me the wrong way was your sure declaration that just about everyone was doomed.

Statistics say that 20% will succeed. I've researched the habits of successful people and made them my own. I've already been through a serious trial and didn't falter.

Time will tell which side of the statistic any of us fall on.

To be fair her original post said most people. A 20% success rate means an 80% fail rate. 80% is most.

I do think being on this site gives us a big advantage with all the knowledge and experience of those who have been successful long-term.

It was most people who got fat as children teens, and then went on to say that the best we all as a group meeting that criteria was either giving up or yo-yoing.

It was rather more defeatist that we had a 20% shot at succeeding.

I find it interesting that no one ever considers the abysmal success of attempts at smoking cessation when quoting statistics around here, but we're married to the failure of weight loss. And yet, I think most of us think of smoking cessation as something most people succeed at. That's because they do. After multiple attempts. The statistics for individual attempts are far worse than those for weight loss, in fact.

I quit smoking 5 years ago. It's a lot easier than staying thin because you don't need to smoke to live. I barely think about it anymore. Whereas keeping weight off requires constant effort for the rest of your life and you can't just quit eating. That's the difference.

No, you missed my point entirely.

I was talking about statistics comparisons.

But if you want to talking about it, I quit smoking for good almost 28 years ago. I had several failed attempts.

This isn't my first weight loss rodeo either.

It is my most well-informed, however.

This has nothing to do with making comparisons on abysmal statistics, though.

Ok but have you ever seen a study that says that people who lose weight over and over eventually succeed to keeping it off? I haven't. Would love to read it if you know of one.
This discussion has been closed.