Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

What are your unpopular opinions about health / fitness?

Options

Replies

• Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Packerjohn wrote: »
    My unpopular opinion: most people who got fat as children/teens will never maintain a healthy weight, and the best we can hope for is yo yo dieting. The other option is accepting being fat for good. The existence of a few exceptions to this rule doesn't change my opinion. Statistically, it's an obvious fact.

Yup, that's a pretty unpopular opinion. I know a lot of us here who plan on proving you wrong.

I don't "hope" for yo-yo dieting. MFP has taught me how to control my weight properly. I know what to do to prevent the yo-yo cycle from happening.

I didn't have that knowledge in the past. That's the big difference.

But the post didn't say it can't be done. It said "post people...' A lot of people here plan on proving it wrong. But statistics suggest most of that lot will fail, and even if all succeeded it would still be a small majority of the whole.

Exactly.

Hey if it was just me, I'd probably just have decided I'm a personal failure at weight loss after gaining back 100 lb the second time (again, it took years to lose it, years of maintaining, then a few more years of gaining it back.) and I used to sound exactly like every person who believes this will not happen to them.

But it wasn't just me. I can point to at least 20 people who used to do these WL forums with me ~10 years ago who were dedicated, motivated, smart, committed etc. and the same thing happened to all of them.

I have to conclude based on the evidence that maintaining a large WL permanently is something *most* people will not be able to do.

Most people won't. That is backed up by statistics. But I do agree with others that should not be seen as an excuse not to try and break that cycle. Some do it. The only way to join the minority is to never stop trying.

Yep. Most people with a diagnosis of cancer, even if the odds of survival longer term are fairly low, will do what is in their power to fight it.

Curiously, IME, anything but diet and exercise, often.

Why I say this: After 17 years, I'm still a frequent participant in a breast cancer support group (at this point, mainly to be an encouraging live demo that there's hope for long-term survival of quite advanced BC - I was stage III, multiple tumors, some large, positive lymph node).

A common scenario is that when people complete surgery, radiation & chemotherapy - when the intensive phase of treatment is over - there's a bit of a letdown. Some feel as if they've stopped fighting, or that their treatment team has stopped fighting for them, or something of that sort.

So, they say "what can I do to keep fighting?". Tears in eyes, sometimes, literally.

Locally, we're extremely lucky to have a varied range of free or very inexpensive exercise programs for BC survivors: A light aerobics-ish class in 3 locations based on Lebed method; YMCA yoga, tai chi, and fitness classes at multiple times & locations; and a rowing team.

So, they ask, and we say "exercise, healthy eating, and weight loss", and tell them about the solid basis for saying that. For regular exercise in particular, even without weight loss, there's fairly good research evidence that some subgroups get at least as strong a positive effect on reducing metastatic recurrence as they do from chemotherapy.

Responses vary, but around 90% of the time, the response amounts to "well, anything but that".

This stuns me, but it's by far the most common outcome. Thousands of BC survivors locally, a few dozen in these exercise programs.

Sorry, digression. I doubt it's an unpopular opinion that people can be stubbornly irrational about their own self-interest. Same mindset that keeps us getting obese.

That's a shame. A strong body is often very helpful in fighting virtually any illness. A friend has a rare form of brain cancer. He was able to qualify for an experimental treatment program because he was in extremely good shape (other than the cancer) marathon runner, weight trainer, etc.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    I never listened when people told me the dire statistics until I became one. I used to get mad at the suggestion, in fact. And remember that "20% success rate" includes anyone who kept off 10% of their weight loss. Heck, by that standard I won! But I don't consider gaining back 90% of what I lost success at all. I doubt many people would.

I know this is a futile effort because people generally never think bad things could happen to them, but I just wish I personally had been more humble and less arrogant in the past. It stings to eat those words, it really does. I remember getting real mad at this one woman who said she regained because her child died. I feel so bad about that now- wish I could apologize to her. But I did not understand how it happens. Now I do, from watching all my WL friends and myself.

Also there's nothing special about MFP. People have been calorie counting for decades, it's just that now there's an app. Weight Watchers is basically calorie counting and it has the same dismal long term success rate of anything.

re: the bold section. What are you referring to when you "this is a futile effort"?

Trying to tell people about what happens to most people who lose weight. Nobody wants to hear it. I get that.

Why would they? It's the glass 3/4 empty point of view. Most would rather hear abut the 1/4 glass full.

Totally agree. But I think it makes more rational sense to be realistic. Know that if you are going to be in that small minority it is going to be a challenge forever. Never get complacent. And even if you believe you can do it, know that things are going to change in your life and you might not know now how you will handle it. And mostly I wish people had more compassion for ourselves and others. I keep saying this, but the people who were losing weight when I did, ~10 years ago, we were the "heros" and "success stories." It doesn't insulate you. The "success stories" of today may find themselves in my shoes 10 years from now. Statistics say most will,

So, do you believe your results would have been different if you had known the statistics before? Do you think knowing that you have a high risk of regaining most of the weight have made you more likely to keep it off?

I believe that being less arrogant about it may not have helped me keep it off, but it would have saved me a lot of apologies/embarrassment when I was wrong.

If you hang around "I regained weight" threads, you will see that many here are not arrogant about their current success. They understand the intricacies and challenges of weight maintenance. Replies to these threads tend to offer encouragement, discourage self-hate, help the poster troubleshoot their regain to try and make it less likely to recur, and keep stressing the fact that maintenance is an ongoing effort.

I don't think it's arrogance to do all in your power to make it happen. I've dieted with maintenance in mind ever since I started. Everything dieting decision I make is aimed at sustaining the loss. Would that "regain proof" me? Who knows, maybe or maybe not. But I know it gives me a leg up and makes long term maintenance more likely. Note that long term maintenance may involve mini yoyoing, and that's alright. Most people, even the naturally thin, are not maintaining one stable weight at all times.
  • amusedmonkey
    edited August 2017
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    nutmegoreo wrote: »
    lynn6241 wrote: »
    I haven't voiced this before because it is very non MFP of me

I believe you can lose weight safely and get all the nutrition required on a VLC (800-900 calories) diet by eating the right (i.e. healthy) foods and cutting out "junk".

I would very much like to see a day in a diary where all nutritional needs are met at that level of calories without supplementation.

I'm almost tempted to play around with mocking up a day's diary to see if it's possible.

But nah.

I have done it a few times when I first started using fast days (800-1000 calories) as a tool. It's hell to put together and sometimes you end up with food combinations that simply don't work, but I've done it. I no longer put myself through that wringer and look at my nutrition in a continuum, but let me see if I can dig out one of these low calorie days. Note that prolonged barely sufficient energy (calories) makes it a worse option by default for various reasons regardless of nutrition.

ETA: too far back, can't remember which time period it was. Oh well. What you basically do is pick one dish that you like which doesn't have many calories and you believe is reasonably nutritious, plug it in, then see what micronutrients are lowest and look for the highest source per calorie using one of the tools out there which offer this kind of search. For protein, if a portion of it comes from chicken liver or clams that helps a lot because both are very nutritious low calorie sources of protein, but I don't like either so it was harder for me to put things together.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    I never listened when people told me the dire statistics until I became one. I used to get mad at the suggestion, in fact. And remember that "20% success rate" includes anyone who kept off 10% of their weight loss. Heck, by that standard I won! But I don't consider gaining back 90% of what I lost success at all. I doubt many people would.

I know this is a futile effort because people generally never think bad things could happen to them, but I just wish I personally had been more humble and less arrogant in the past. It stings to eat those words, it really does. I remember getting real mad at this one woman who said she regained because her child died. I feel so bad about that now- wish I could apologize to her. But I did not understand how it happens. Now I do, from watching all my WL friends and myself.

Also there's nothing special about MFP. People have been calorie counting for decades, it's just that now there's an app. Weight Watchers is basically calorie counting and it has the same dismal long term success rate of anything.

re: the bold section. What are you referring to when you "this is a futile effort"?

Trying to tell people about what happens to most people who lose weight. Nobody wants to hear it. I get that.

Why would they? It's the glass 3/4 empty point of view. Most would rather hear abut the 1/4 glass full.

Totally agree. But I think it makes more rational sense to be realistic. Know that if you are going to be in that small minority it is going to be a challenge forever. Never get complacent. And even if you believe you can do it, know that things are going to change in your life and you might not know now how you will handle it. And mostly I wish people had more compassion for ourselves and others. I keep saying this, but the people who were losing weight when I did, ~10 years ago, we were the "heros" and "success stories." It doesn't insulate you. The "success stories" of today may find themselves in my shoes 10 years from now. Statistics say most will,

I get what's bothering me about your narrative.

You aren't accepting responsibility for your weight regain.

It just happened, gosh darn it all.

How's that for an unpopular opinion?

And in your opinion, it will just happen to all of us, like it "just happened" to all those other people you keep mentioning.

Not one of them was responsible, those pounds just threw themselves at you poor defenseless people.

You didn't overeat a single thing.

You didn't stop weighing yourself and ignore the weight creep.

You didn't notice your clothes getting tighter and having to buy new sizes year after year after year.

It just bloody happened.

That's the difference between success stories and all the folks you knew.

People who succeed, and people who try to succeed nip bad behavior in the bud somewhere along the way by owning that behavior.

Even now, you still sound like you're playing craps instead of undertaking the task of managing your weight when you talk about being back here on MFP.

Good luck with that.

Wow. And that wasn't smug?

I don't see any smug in there.

• RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options

I believe you can lose weight safely and get all the nutrition required on a VLC (800-900 calories) diet by eating the right (i.e. healthy) foods and cutting out "junk".

I would very much like to see a day in a diary where all nutritional needs are met at that level of calories without supplementation.

I'm almost tempted to play around with mocking up a day's diary to see if it's possible.

But nah.

I was tempted too. Seems to be an exercise in futility and frustration though.

I began cutting my holiday weight yesterday and ate 1197 calories, it was a pain to fit in enough fat. Hit protein fine and 900g of mixed fruit and vegetables.

I don't think I could have gotten close on 800 calories.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options

But nah.

I was tempted too. Seems to be an exercise in futility and frustration though.

I began cutting my holiday weight yesterday and ate 1197 calories, it was a pain to fit in enough fat. Hit protein fine and 900g of mixed fruit and vegetables.

I don't think I could have gotten close on 800 calories.

I would have to play with it. I naturally tend to be low on fat, so I need to make a conscious effort to increase that. I find there are several vitamins and minerals I need to focus on to get enough. I do fit in a treat, but it usually helps towards reaching the daily targets in some way or another. Best I've done (without putting a lot of time and effort into it), was around 1500 to hit all daily targets (even then, I take a multivit).
  • amusedmonkey
    Options
    Finally found one. Under 1000 calories and with reasonable nutrition.
    cwtc4xgni780.png
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    why?
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,646 Member
    Options
    J72FIT wrote: »

And in your opinion, it will just happen to all of us, like it "just happened" to all those other people you keep mentioning.

Not one of them was responsible, those pounds just threw themselves at you poor defenseless people.

You didn't notice your clothes getting tighter and having to buy new sizes year after year after year.

It just bloody happened.

People who succeed, and people who try to succeed nip bad behavior in the bud somewhere along the way by owning that behavior.

Even now, you still sound like you're playing craps instead of undertaking the task of managing your weight when you talk about being back here on MFP.

Good luck with that.

No it was honest.

Your honesty could do with a touch of compassion...

True honesty rarely is.

It needs to be...

Why?
  • Chef_Barbell
    Options

It just bloody happened.

Good luck with that.

No it was honest.

Sometimes brutal honesty is the most compassionate thing to do.

Agreed.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Options

It just bloody happened.

Good luck with that.

No it was honest.

True honesty rarely is.

It needs to be...

Why?

You can be honest with someone and show compassion for their struggles at the same time...

Compassion comes in different forms.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options

So, do you believe your results would have been different if you had known the statistics before? Do you think knowing that you have a high risk of regaining most of the weight have made you more likely to keep it off?

I believe that being less arrogant about it may not have helped me keep it off, but it would have saved me a lot of apologies/embarrassment when I was wrong.

I see. I was just wondering why you kept pushing the point when pretty much everyone agreed that the odds were against long term weight loss. Expecting anyone who is losing weight to say they expect to regain 90% of the weight is pretty unrealistic. Of course we all expect to be in the 20%. Nothing wrong with that.

Yes I agree, that's why my opinion is "unpopular" even thought it's factual.

I personally have no expectations anymore. I cannot tell the future. I'll do my best, and that's all anybody can do.

The fact that most people regain weight is not unpopular here. I don't think anyone has argued that point.

I guess I'm just not sure what opinion you are even trying to put forth.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options

It just bloody happened.

Good luck with that.

No it was honest.

True honesty rarely is.

It needs to be...

Why?

You can be honest with someone and show compassion for their struggles at the same time...

Compassion comes in different forms.

Agree to disagree...
This discussion has been closed.