Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

What are your unpopular opinions about health / fitness?

Replies

• Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    earlnabby wrote: »
    wmd1979 wrote: »
    Someone brought a carrot cake with cream cheese icing in to my workplace today. We almost never really make anything like that at home so it is nice having the option to enjoy a treat from time to time. Plus carrots are a vegetable so its kind of like I am having a salad.

That is something I would avoid. I don't like the texture of carrot cake and the cream cheese frosting is too sweet for my taste.

New debate topic:

1) Cream cheese or buttercream?
    2) Frosting or icing?

Buttercream person here.
    If it is thick gloopy stuff, it is frosting. If it is thinner, it is icing. if you can see though it, it is glaze.

What kind does Duncan Hines put in a plastic tub? That's the stuff.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,940 Member
    edited September 2017
    nutmegoreo wrote: »
    Carlos_421 wrote: »
    Someone brought a carrot cake with cream cheese icing in to my workplace today. We almost never really make anything like that at home so it is nice having the option to enjoy a treat from time to time. Plus carrots are a vegetable so its kind of like I am having a salad.

Too much like salad...
    Give me a chocolate cake with chocolate icing.

Chocolate cones from plants as well...

Yup, you are eating the processed seeds so chocolate is like peanut butter.

Wait, I thought peanuts were legumes...I guess technically a seed from underground. I'll allow it. :wink:
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member

Too much like salad...

Wait, I thought peanuts were legumes...

OK, almond butter then.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member

That is something I would avoid. I don't like the texture of carrot cake and the cream cheese frosting is too sweet for my taste.

New debate topic:

2) Frosting or icing?

Buttercream person here.
    If it is thick gloopy stuff, it is frosting. If it is thinner, it is icing. if you can see though it, it is glaze.

What kind does Duncan Hines put in a plastic tub? That's the stuff.

It is thick and gloppy so it is frosting.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member

Your powers of rationalization are truly impressive! :p
    In for Cream Cheese and Frosting.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    This is blasphemy, but I don't much like frosting.

There are meringue types that are okay. The best frosting is a whipped ganache.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member

New debate topic:

2) Frosting or icing?

Buttercream person here.

Cream cheese frosting, not over sweet.

Glaze.

Royal icing needs to GTFO.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member

New debate topic:

2) Frosting or icing?

Buttercream person here.

And if it's able to stop a bullet, it's fondant.

Fondant is still soft. I'd refer to a Fondant Fancy but I suspect that's deeply British.......
  • French_Peasant
    French_Peasant Posts: 1,639 Member
    CSARdiver wrote: »
    Bry_Lander wrote: »
    Denying the existence of a Cake Culture seems a little silly when the mere mention of "cake" inspires multiple pages of passionate gushing over cake and other superior desserts...

Corrected.

Preach.

On a related note, I have discovered that you can get a flight of house-made pies (a generous "half" slice of 3 different kinds) at the same place where the breaded pork tenderloin sandwich was invented, in Indiana, of course.

Fabulousness.
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    How about brownies? Gimme a good fudge brownie over pie any day of the week.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    lokihen wrote: »
    "Pepper Culture" has taken over my workplace! Co-workers are bringing in their harvests of hot peppers; yesterday it was ghost, habanero and jalapeno.

Peer pressure and offense sure to follow.

And now I'm wondering if we work at the same place.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

Compared to when I started full-time office work in the 1970s, there's been a noticeable decrease in teams going out during working hours and drinking silly amounts of alcohol, though. Cake at work is probably safer, and more productive work-wise.

True. Sweet treats in the lunchroom does seem to have replaced the three martini lunch.

Also probably the reason for so much stress in the workplace now.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    CSARdiver wrote: »
    Bry_Lander wrote: »
    Denying the existence of a Cake Culture seems a little silly when the mere mention of "cake" inspires multiple pages of passionate gushing over cake and other superior desserts...

Corrected.

Preach.

On a related note, I have discovered that you can get a flight of house-made pies (a generous "half" slice of 3 different kinds) at the same place where the breaded pork tenderloin sandwich was invented, in Indiana, of course.

Fabulousness.

You need to warn a guy prior to posting this material - NSFW!
  • Need2Exerc1se
    This is blasphemy, but I don't much like frosting.

There are meringue types that are okay. The best frosting is a whipped ganache.

I don't like icing either. Especially the kind that is used for decorating. I actually get much more flack at work for asking for a piece of cake with as little icing as possible and then scraping it off than I do for the times I refuse the cake altogether. Icing is serious stuff for some people.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member

Too much like salad...

Plus there's caffeine. Increases your heart rate. Chocolate cake = eating a salad while on the treadmill.

I prefer to think of it as eating peanut butter on the trampoline.

C8wbfj2XcAQ9jlS.jpg
This discussion has been closed.