November 2017 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• AmyOutOfControl
    AmyOutOfControl Posts: 1,425 Member
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    Thanks @RunRachelleRun and @PastorVincent .

The surgeon says "do whatever I want", PT says "take it easy". The surgeon is active, idk what he does but he's rather fit. PT not so much... I hurt regardless so it's hard to say heed the pain or decide who to listen too *Shrugs*.
    Think I'll just buy a case of Halo top ice cream and park my *kitten* on the couch. Or maybe go run and cry about being in agony later... I have no idea what to do. Wish that pool was open... I could just give in to doing upper body strength... Farts and crackers.

Sorry @Elise4270. Pain sucks and I hope your pool opens soon. I wish I could swim well enough to do a swim lap/exercise thing. I did not learn to swim (sort-of learn to swim) until I was an adult. The best I can manage right now is a floundering, not-quite drowning, thing across the pool.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    Thanks @amymoreorless . Keep at it. I'm sure you'll get better and stronger. I know what you mean though. DH isn't the best swimmer, and he doesn't enjoy swimming much. He's so lean, I think he just sinks lol!
  • kevaasen
    kevaasen Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    bjderhak wrote: »
    Does anyone out there know of any running apps that you can set your desired pace and it will buzz or beep if you leave that pace? For ref I used iphone/apple watch.

@bjderhak - there is an app called "runkeeper" doesn't buzz or beep if you exceed/slow your pace....but it can give you audio stats (time, distance, avg pace, current pace, etc) based on either time (i.e. every 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 10 Min+) and/or distance (every quarter mile or longer). Don't have an apple watch (garmin user) but guessing there might be pace trackers, etc.
  • bjderhak
    bjderhak Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    @kevaasen apple watch has great gps and pace tracking features. I was just looking for something where I didnt have to keep looking at my watch. I could just "set it and go." Maybe I should create the app myself? lol

@greenlikeatree i bought a few different versions of sketchers go walk shoes and flip flops for the cushioning. I used to wear nike memory foam sandals. For reference - I work at a poolside tiki bar so flip flops are a perfectly acceptable shoe choice. lol the floors are concrete except for a little anti fatigue mat by the register that i stand on whenever im standing still. I have extremely tight calves/hamstrings and I know this is contributing to the PF. I stretch and foam roll and do the golf ball thing but im sure not enough. I bought a night splint, helps for that morning pain but its uncomfortable. I have found that wearing compression socks at work tends to help with the tight calves. Its not unbearable pain (anymore) but its a constant nagging.
  • seanevan10
    seanevan10 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    11/1 - REST
    11/2 - REST
    11/3 - 1.95
    11/4 - 8
    11/5 - REST
    11/6 - 4.7

GPS was a little wonky so I had to guess. Was aiming for 5, and came up with 4.7, so not too bad. The best part about the run? It felt AWESOME. No calf pain. No hip pain. A little pre-run G2 and a post-run Quest bar seems to be what keeps my body feeling good, plus I'm committed to strength work every day to keep things getting stronger.

Until this AM, I was super worried about being able to keep to my HM plan and was thinking about bumping it the spring. Today I'm refreshingly committed to completing the HM in December.

BONUS: My new shoes will be here by the end of the week AND I racked up enough gift cards for my birthday that I was able to order the Garmin Vivoactive 3 this morning to replace my dead Samsung Gear Fit 2. I gave Samsung every opportunity to be good stewards of their products, and they failed on every account. Not only will I not purchase any more Samsung products, I get the pleasure of telling my wide circle of running and technology friends to stay far away.

New shoes. New watch. New attitude.

that makes me want to go out and run now! Boo for being hurt. LOL. I love my Vivoactive HR. I am glad you are getting a new watch. I love new things!
  • RunRachelleRun
    RunRachelleRun Posts: 1,854 Member
    Options
    @bjderhak pf is really tricky. I mostly got rid of mine by doing a calf stretch every hour or two. It took about two weeks. I still have to do it daily (and I first got it about seven or eight years ago). It is always there, waiting for an opportunity to flare. I wear Sketchers sandals in the house that look like birkenstocks but are very padded and only wear cushy shoes everywhere else. This seems to help. A tiki bar sounds like a great workplace!

@amymoreorless Love the shirt. I will have to get one too! Way to go being on the leaderboard for time!

@Elise4270 Glad your one side is much improved. And thanks for the info on the stair machine. I hope you are right! I will try it sooner then.
  • Ryokat
    Ryokat Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    @amymoreorless That shirt is awesome! If you really do get and wear it, you MUST post a pic of yourself at your race!!
  • ereck44
    ereck44 Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    @Elise4270 Sounds like you have your answer: take it easy doing whatever you want. >:)

Do you have access to something lower impact for a couple of weeks to see if the pain improves: biking/elliptical/strength training? Too bad I couldn't send you one of the Zero Gravity runners from my gym. Nobody ever uses them, but they look super cool.

Haha! I like it!!

Thanks for the suggestions. I'd rather run than do the elliptical. That thing is impossible! I have zero endurance on them. Biking isn't any easier on me. Any hip movement is going to aggravate it. I can do strengthening exercises...

ETA I'll probably find my answer if I quit being stubborn and give into what I can do. Gym it is, until the pool is open.

Ha, I was going to try the elliptical when I joined the gym but haven't yet. There is a stair machine that I'm interested in and also terrified of. One girl was going up it sideways, backwards, etc. She was pretty impressive. It's so tall, I'm fairly certain I'm going to get overtired, miss a step, and tumble down. Still, it's on my to-do list for a day I'm feeling strong and brave. Yes, I say try to find something that doesn't hurt. Did you say you will have to wait six months for surgery? Is that for the other hip? And how does the side that went through the first surgery feel now?

I love the stairmaster at my gym. The first time that I tried it, I only lasted 5 minutes, but it is a good workout. I finally achieved about 40-45 minutes. It is uncomfortable until you break a sweat (kind of like running), but then it feels great. I got out of the habit when it became popular, and I couldn't find an available machine. I have seen people walking sideways, backwards, hopping the steps, etc. The gym can be entertaining sometimes.
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Stairmasters are a great workout, but if you're doing it to benefit your running, particularly hills, I recommend you use actual stairs because going down stairs is as important, if not more so, than going up stairs. Going down hills or down stairs is an eccentric contraction for your quads, that is, they contract while lengthening to allow a controlled step (the alternative is collapsing). Eccentric contractions are much harder on your muscles and the DOMS pain is much worse.

On a long, hilly run it's the downhills that will shred your quads, not the uphills. Using a stairmaster takes away the benefit of a downhill workout.

Last year when I ran my first (and only) marathon, it was on about as flat of a course as you'll find. Later that day, going up steps was a bit painful, but going downstairs was absolutely excruciating. I had to step sideways down the stairs to make it without crying. Had I trained more with downhills, I could have avoided that.

ETA: Or perhaps you can use the stairmaster backwards?
  • bjderhak
    bjderhak Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    @7lenny7 i have a pretty flat marathon coming up in Jan (granted in fl pretty much all our races are flat) but ill def take your advice and practice some down hills :)

@RunRachelleRun thx for the advice. i love the squishy sketchers. its the only reason i go in the store (luckily there is an outlet nearby!) i also try and stretch as often as possible but i know i can do more. Ive been at the Tiki Bar for 6 years, so i guess you can say its not all that bad ;)
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    @7lenny7 i have a pretty flat marathon coming up in Jan (granted in fl pretty much all our races are flat) but ill def take your advice and practice some down hills :)

Good choice, @bjderhak . My marathon had 400' of elevation according to Strava, and just 200' according to Garmin. I had read to train for your race by running on similar terrain so I actually avoided hills thinking that would be better to get my body used to lots of flat running. Nope, bad idea. Hills helps every runner.

A year after my marathon I ran a 50K trail race. This race had between 1800' and 2000' of elevation gain. Because I greatly increased the hill work during training, I really had no quad pain after the 50K. I was even able to run 5 miles the next day.

Hills might suck in the moment but they do wonderful things in the long term.
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    7lenny7 wrote: »

Good choice, @bjderhak . My marathon had 400' of elevation according to Strava, and just 200' according to Garmin. I had read to train for your race by running on similar terrain so I actually avoided hills thinking that would be better to get my body used to lots of flat running. Nope, bad idea. Hills helps every runner.

A year after my marathon I ran a 50K trail race. This race had between 1800' and 2000' of elevation gain. Because I greatly increased the hill work during training, I really had no quad pain after the 50K. I was even able to run 5 miles the next day.

Hills might suck in the moment but they do wonderful things in the long term.

I'm going to second all of this. I ran my first Longer-Than-Marathon race this October, 4 months after my first marathon. After my marathon, my quads killed. After my October race, My quads were OK, despite other parts getting thrashed.... That's due to me doing a LOT of hills, like 50% of my runs were hill repeats of one sort or another.
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    No run today. :cry: Timing of stuff just did not work out.
  • cburke8909
    cburke8909 Posts: 990 Member
    Options
    Added rest day.
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 5,001 Member
    Options
    November goal: 70 miles

11/1: 3.4 miles
    11/2: 3.1 miles
    11/5: 7.7 miles
    11/7: 4 miles

18.2/70 miles

So much going on in this thread. Congrats and Happy Birthday @WandaVaughn

I loved the pictures and reports from the NYC Marathon!

I usually run intervals but today I just wanted to run so that's what I did. It was a great 4 mile run. I really needed it. All this stress with having t ok have the gas lines at the house replaced is getting me down. It was nice to just run and not worry about it for a little while. I was cold though. I don't know how you Northerners do it. It was only 57°F. I am definitely a wuss when it comes to cold weather.

exercise.png

• RespectTheKitty
    RespectTheKitty Posts: 1,667 Member
    Options
    Update:

I am not doing well. I am having a really difficult time with this new medication. My anxiety and depression are really bad, probably worse than they've been in a long time. The doctor says this will pass as I get used to the meds. I'm dubious. I do not like feeling like this. Not at all.

I haven't been able to run for a week because everything's been so debilitating. I don't even want to try. This really sucks.

So... there won't be much from me this month, I fear. Here's hoping I can at least half enjoy the holidays.
  • cburke8909
    cburke8909 Posts: 990 Member
    Options
    @7lenny7 Thanks for that insight. I've always had more problems with downhill running, now I know why.
  • AmyOutOfControl
    AmyOutOfControl Posts: 1,425 Member
    Options
    Update:

I am not doing well. I am having a really difficult time with this new medication. My anxiety and depression are really bad, probably worse than they've been in a long time. The doctor says this will pass as I get used to the meds. I'm dubious. I do not like feeling like this. Not at all.

I haven't been able to run for a week because everything's been so debilitating. I don't even want to try. This really sucks.

So... there won't be much from me this month, I fear. Here's hoping I can at least half enjoy the holidays.

So sorry @RespectTheKitty I hope they find a medication that works for you. :(