November 2017 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options
    Update:

I am not doing well. I am having a really difficult time with this new medication. My anxiety and depression are really bad, probably worse than they've been in a long time. The doctor says this will pass as I get used to the meds. I'm dubious. I do not like feeling like this. Not at all.

I haven't been able to run for a week because everything's been so debilitating. I don't even want to try. This really sucks.

So... there won't be much from me this month, I fear. Here's hoping I can at least half enjoy the holidays.

I'm sorry. I hope you can get it figured out.
  • weat0043
    weat0043 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Nov. 7 - 4.3km elliptical
    MTD - 20.1km/80km
    @RespectTheKitty hopefully everything straightens out with your meds or they can find something that works for you better
  • garygse
    garygse Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    An easy ten miler this morning, with the first four miles done solo to warm up, followed by meeting up with the group to run the usual five mile route, and then finally wrapped things up with one last mile to cool down.

01 - 12.90
    02 - 7.91
    03 - 14.43
    06 - 8.26
    07 - 10.47

Total: 53.97 / 175 miles
  • anitamistry1
    anitamistry1 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    girlinahat wrote: »
    So I’m reducing my running this month to try and focus on strength training, but am still keen to do short runs – nothing over about an hour/10k.

Sundays run was about five miles, easy and really nice. I did a CrossFit taster class on the Friday night and was keen to see if I was still able to add in running. Wasn’t too bad, although my quads started feeling it towards the end.

I did another CrossFit class last night – I have to do 6 Fundamentals sessions to teach the core moves. Last night was squats and variations of squats. We did bodyweight squats, a Tabata session of bodyweight squats, squats and throwing a weighted ball up a wall, squats with a barbell, and finally a timed set of rounds of squats with the weighted ball interspersed by the Devil’s Torture itself, burpees. I hate burpees. If I’d known there’d be burpees I’d probably not have signed up. Last nights burpees towards the end made me look like I’d been on one of those Japanese gameshows where you spin round with your head on a pole and then try and walk in a straight line. It wasn’t pretty. And I am PAYING for this? I had jogged to the gym (as an unnecessary warm-up) and I jogged home again to try and stop my legs from seizing up. Wow. I never realised I could jog SO VERY SLOWLY…..

All I can say is it had better make me a better stronger runner at the end of it.

No morning run, I figured I’d let the quads rest a bit and run tomorrow morning when the DOMS has properly set in…..

I have a love/hate relationship with burpees. But I really, really, really hate burpee box jumps. The program I'm following now has them as the last exercise for plyo day. I've missed the 12" box plenty of times (and can do 14" just fine on normal box jumps). And it hurts when your shin hits the box.

Oh me too. I don't mind doing them on a raised step but the floor ones are a killer. I've not done box burpee..... yet.

• katharmonic
    katharmonic Posts: 5,720 Member
    Options
    Date :::: Miles :::: Cumulative
    11/01/17 :::: 0.0 :::: 0.0
    11/02/17 :::: 2.7 :::: 2.7
    11/03/17 :::: 4.3 :::: 7.0
    11/04/17 :::: 7.6 :::: 14.6
    11/05/17 :::: 3.2 :::: 17.7
    11/06/17 :::: 3.0 :::: 20.7
    11/07/17 :::: 3.5 :::: 24.3

Group HM/marathon workout tonight was a 50-minute tempo run. Yikes. But because I'm running a half this weekend coach suggested just doing 15 minutes tempo plus warmup and a long cooldown. So I was happy to do that. Not a big crowd showed for long tempo night, predictably. I got a few minutes of one-on-one time with the coach during my cool-down which was nice and he was giving me some encouragement for toughing it out through the winter (we had our first snow today, although it was brief and nothing stuck). Moral of that story is the old "just do it, and you'll be glad when you're done". Truth.

Love the t-shirt posted earlier - perfect!
  • HonuNui
    HonuNui Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options
    November goal 100miles, at least 1mpd

11/1 4.43
    11/2 2.25
    11/3 6.35
    11/4 2.25
    11/5 4.50
    11/6 2.22 + snorkel 3.5hours
    11/7 7.00

Total: 29.00

Ticker is my goal for 2017 and progress to date:

exercise.png

• eponine1984
    eponine1984 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    @RespectTheKitty I'm sorry to hear you're not doing well on your medication. I started lexapro about 5 weeks ago and it seems to be helping. My house is a disaster (burst pipe caused major damage that's yet to be repaired) and that's certainly not helping, but I know I would be worse off if it weren't for the medication. I know how awful it is when you're switching and trying to adjust and oh, just know my thoughts are with you.
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    garygse wrote: »
    Hey... if you do not yet have a Road ID, this is the time to get one. They just sent out a message saying they are offering 30% off every ID they sell

Details: https://www.roadid.com/pages/crazy-eddie-2017/

Awesome, they now have the id for the 935. Just ordered this one:

7t8s4wxtgkyn.png

HAH! Love it!

Mine shipped so I should have it soon.
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    Update:

I am not doing well. I am having a really difficult time with this new medication. My anxiety and depression are really bad, probably worse than they've been in a long time. The doctor says this will pass as I get used to the meds. I'm dubious. I do not like feeling like this. Not at all.

I haven't been able to run for a week because everything's been so debilitating. I don't even want to try. This really sucks.

So... there won't be much from me this month, I fear. Here's hoping I can at least half enjoy the holidays.

So sorry to hear this. :disappointed: It can take time for those kinds of meds to work, so maybe the doc is right. Really sorry you have to go through this. We are all cheering for you though!
  • JessicaMcB
    JessicaMcB Posts: 1,503 Member
    Options
    Sorry you are having a rough go @RespectTheKitty :( . Do you do find you have SAD features? My OCD always gets out of hand this time of year and my dose climbs to match basically. Just a thought <3

Shout out to my clingy, teething 2 year old for doing her best to help me get A1 sleep deprivation training in :# .

Got maybe an hour of sleep after finally settling her down before my alarm went off to lace up and I had a moment of, "Maybe I'll just sleep." before "There are people with more going on than you, that are naturally better runners and are already effing up. MOAR WORK!" seized the day once more :D

Here's to hoping Mia considers sleeping tonight though because I'm dead on my feet and I still have so much work to do before I can go to bed.

November 1- 18+8
    November 2- 22
    November 3- 20
    November 4- 42
    November 5- 20
    November 6- 18
    November 7- 18

166/500km

2018 Races
    *Gord's Frozen A** 50K, February 18
    *JAJA Trail Marathon, April 1
    *Red Deer Marathon, May 20
    *Cactus Coulee Crawl 30km, TBA June
    ??? Sinister 7 100 Mile, TBA July
    *Run in the Buff 120km TBA August
    *Lost Souls 100 Mile September 7
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    November Running Totals (miles)
    11/1 – 5.14 group run
    11/2 – 6.60 warm up, speed work, cool down
    11/3 – rest day
    11/4 – 7.24 aborted paced run
    11/5 – 11.15 easy
    11/6 – rest day
    11/7 – 6.41 warm up, speed work, cool down

November running total to date – 36.54

Nominal challenge goal: 200 miles

Real goals: Stay healthy. Build base. Prepare for Club Nationals in early December and the start of Boston training in late December.

Today's notes – Great running weather, wear tights and don't sweat up a puddle! Tonight's speed work assignment was challenging: 1 mile at T, 2 x 200 at R w/200 recovery, 3 miles at T, 4 x 200 at R w/200 recovery. Just what I need to develop my cardio conditioning; but my ankle hasn't been delighted with the beatings I've given it the past week. So I toned it down.

I ran 1 x 1600 at T (6:25 actual vs. 6:32 target) with 400 recovery, then 4 x 200 at R with 200 recovery (42.5, 42.0, 42.4, 41.1 vs. 42-43 second target). That, plus a 2 mile warmup and 2 mile cool down, was enough for today. The ankle noticed the beating, but seems to be okay after being iced down.

I'm into a mentally challenging phase of training. I can run fast, but it's a guessing game how much volume my ankle will tolerate. For now, I'm being cautious with the speed work and saving the ankle for race day. This may not produce the fastest race I can run; but it has a high probability of producing a race that I finish.

2017 races:
    January 1, 2017 Freezeroo #2 (Resolution Run 7.5 mile) (Mendon, NY) Finished in 50:45
    January 7, 2017 Winter Warrior Half Marathon (Gates, NY) Finished in 1:32:40
    January 14, 2017 Freezeroo #3 (Pineway Ponds Park 5 mile) (Spencerport, NY) Finished in 33:42
    January 28, 2017 Freezeroo #4 (Hearnish 5 mile) (Victor, NY) short course, finished 4.88 miles in 32:50
    February 4, 2017 USATF Cross Country National Championship Masters 8K (Bend, OR) Finished in 35:39, team won the 60+ Men's cross country championship
    February 11, 2017 Freezeroo #5 (Valentines Run "In Memory of Tom Brannon" 8 Mile) (Greece, NY) sat out due to training schedule
    February 25, 2017 Freezeroo #6 (White House Challenge 4.4 mile) (Webster, NY) short course, finished 4.34 miles in 27:51
    March 11, 2017 Johnny's Runnin' of the Green 5 mile (Rochester, NY) finished in 33:25
    March 18, 2017 USATF Masters 8K Championship (Shamrock 8K, Virginia Beach, VA) finished in 30:59, PR for 8K
    April 17, 2017 Boston Marathon (Hopkinton, MA) finished in 3:49:42
    April 30, 2017 USATF Masters 10K Championship (James Joyce Ramble, Dedham, MA) finished in 39:54, PR for 10K
    May 21, 2017 Lilac Run 10K (Rochester, NY) finished in 40:04
    May 27, 2017 Canandaigua Classic Half Marathon (Canandaigua, NY) finished in 1:33:06
    June 9, 2017 Charlie McMullen Mile (Fairport, NY) finished in 5:44.90, PR for mile
    June 18, 2017 Medved 5K to Cure ALS (Rochester, NY) finished in 19:32
    July 4, 2017 Firecracker Four Mile (Fairport, NY) finished in 25:42
    July 15, 2017 Shoreline Half Marathon [1:40 pacer] (Hamlin, NY) finished in 1:39:05
    July 28, 2017 Karknocker 5K (East Rochester, NY) finished in 19:28
    August 9, 2017 Pound the Ground 10K (Mendon, NY) finished in 41:26
    August 12, 2017 Bergen Road Race 5K (Bergen, NY) finished in 19:47
    August 25, 2017 USATF Masters Mile (Hap Crim Michigan Mile, Flint, MI) DNS - injury
    September 3, 2017 Oak Tree Half Marathon (Geneseo, NY) DNS - injury
    September 17, 2017 MVP Rochester Marathon (Rochester, NY) DNS - injury
    October 29, 2017 Pete Glavin XC Race #4 6K (Brighton, NY) finished in 25:32.8
    November 12, 2017 Pete Glavin XC Race #5 8K (Canandaigua, NY)
    November 23, 2017 Race with Grace 10K (Hilton, NY)
    December 9, 2017 USATF Club National XC Championship 8K (Lexington, KY)

2018 races:
    January 1, 2018 Freezeroo #2 (Resolution Run 7.5 mile) (Mendon, NY)
    January 6, 2018 Winter Warrior Half Marathon (Gates, NY)
    January 13, 2018 Freezeroo #3 (Pineway Ponds Park 5 mile) (Spencerport, NY)
    January 27, 2018 Freezeroo #4 (Hearnish 5 mile) (Victor, NY)
    February 17, 2018 Freezeroo #5 (Valentines Run "In Memory of Tom Brannon" 8 Mile) (Greece, NY)
    February 24, 2018 Freezeroo #6 (White House Challenge 4.4 mile) (Webster, NY)
    April 16, 2018 Boston Marathon (Hopkinton, MA)

• Ryokat
    Ryokat Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    @MobyCarp What exactly happened to your ankle anyway? I keep reading you mentioning it being injured, but obviously that happened before October when I started reading the monthly challenge threads.
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    Options
    Off on a road trip for 2 days and 151 posts behind.
    Never got back to the hotel until 8/9 each night and just mentally whipped plus wickedly dark so no running this week yet :'( . Will try to catch up on everyone's good adventures, hoping the bad ones involving cars and our favorite virtual Daughter/Niece/GodDaughter etc ( Skip of @skippygirlsmom ) goes away.

But a friend in our local running club dropped this little gem into our FB site. Especially for @JessicaMcB , @MNLittleFinn , @7lenny7 and anyone else who has done a Trail Event or just enjoys dragging a friend out for a "Short >:) Trail Run".

When I read it I thought of 4 people who came out for our Local 7 Peaks challenge ( 34-36 km & 7 Hill Climbs ).
    We declared them to be Event Champions, 2 ladies who had never done more than a HM, one lady who biggest hill would look like something from Florida, and one guy who didn't quite realize how big/steep some of the early hills were and only had one HM Distance.
  • Ryokat
    Ryokat Posts: 168 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    November 1 — 4.16 miles
    November 2 — off
    November 3 — 4.1 miles
    November 4 — off
    November 5 — 9.22 miles
    November 6 — off
    November 7 — 4.11 miles

November total — 21.59/75 miles

4 mile regular run. 34 degrees, first time since March I had to wear a jacket. Boo. It ended up being a bit too warm. Next time just long sleeves.

exercise.png
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    Ryokat wrote: »
    @MobyCarp What exactly happened to your ankle anyway? I keep reading you mentioning it being injured, but obviously that happened before October when I started reading the monthly challenge threads.

Seconded, though I can't remember what happened. While we're on the subject... every day I see @MobyCarp post about his workout, then inevitably he/you post about your ankle hurting and having to ice it.

I hope you don't think I'm being confrontational, but I really wonder if you need to rest a lot longer, and get more tests done.

Also, isn't icing just preventing the natural healing process from happening? Assuming it's even an inflammation-based injury?

Sorry, Moby. I'd just hate to lose one of my major running inspirations due to permanent damage.
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    @juliet3455 that trail run post is very very true.

I see invites from my club all the time which say things like - anyone fancy a run on Sunday, leaving at 7am?

What this ACTUALLY means is anything upwards of 20 miles, probably up a mountain, and will almost certainly involve getting wet, either rained on or due to the river crossing.

Most trail races I do are ‘ish’ distances. Such as Half-Marathon-‘ish’. This is mostly because it’s very difficult to design a trail route at a set distance, and also because most people who run on trails are generally masochists, interested in beasting another hill and leaping over unknown terrain. You only have to read of the exploits of such fell-running acolytes such as Josh Naylor and latterly Killian Jornet (who solo-ed Everest 48 hours after he first did it, because he’d had an upset stomach the first time and wanted to see if he could do it quicker).

And most trail routes are flat. Honestly. Totally and utterly flat. You will never ever find a hill on a trail route.
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    A short run this morning. It was very nearly a hide under the covers morning, but I made myself and my aching right hamstring get up and get out. Felt really good, but obviously feeling good and thinking you are going pretty fast doesn’t actually translate to numbers on the page….but I’m ignoring data and just getting out doing it for now.

It was about 3 degrees out there (which you weird people would call 37-38 degrees). I don’t think it’s yet time for a long-sleeved top, but gloves would’ve been a good thing as Raynauds stole two of my fingers for the whole time I was out. Generally I can only tolerate running in glove liners before my hands get all sweaty and goo-ey. The pair I bought from MEC in Canada about seven years ago are falling apart, is that a good enough excuse to travel back there?

Another 2 miles ticked off. It’s actually helping the muscle soreness by being active. Next CrossFit torture session is Friday, but I have a day out in London at meetings tomorrow so plenty of walking around planned.
  • ddmom0811
    ddmom0811 Posts: 1,878 Member
    Options
    Flight got in really late last night and then I was too hyper to sleep. So didn't even attempt to run with 3-4 hours sleep. But packed my gym bag and hope to hit the gym after work for strength training - or something or other.

11/1 - 4 miles
    11/2 - Strength training - tabatas - push ups/pull ups/sit ups and wall squats
    11/3 - rest day and fly to NY!
    11/4 - 4.5 (5K and then a run from daughter’s apt to my hotel)
    11/5 - 5.0 Astoria run
    11/6 - 5.0 Astoria run #2
    11/7 - rest day and fly back to Orlando
    11/8 - TBD

I/ITSEC 5K in Orlando - 11/29
    Daytona Beach HM - 2/4/19

exercise.png