WOMEN AGES 50 + FOR NOVEMBER 2017

Replies

• GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    Yvonne - Over 2000 pages in a bill that affected so many people's lives, and still does and then have Nancy Pelosi or any government official who has lived their lives with 'politics' being a 'career'. Saying they needed to 'pass it to find out what was in it'. Sorry, that was an idiotic comment at its best. Once something become 'law' it is a helluva lot harder to change. There are a whole lot of people who cannot afford the premiums, then have to come up with a $5,000 deductible ... that makes it more like catastrophic coverage. Might work for some people who have 6 months of income put back to pay their bills. Up until this year (but, DDnL#1 now has a job that has health insurance benefits), it was easier for them to pay the fine. But, since she had insurance at the time they filed their taxes they did not have to pay what would have been a $1,900, a piece, fine for not having insurance or purchasing it from an exchange. There are so few 'exchanges' that they can charge what they want to. I've been without insurance for several years, even with the kids. We made it somehow. When I was pregnant the first time and Louis was covered by CIGNA, they did NOT want to pay for the extensive treatment I got for a complication of a pregnancy that was so rare, they probably had never come up against it - except to pay death benefits. IF I had not have a young, eager, wanting to show he could bounce with the best of the OB/GYNs in town - he could have easily said, "We'll just jerk your works' and go on about his busy day. But, he stayed at the office and research my symptoms and came up with the diagnosis and the prognosis was excellent. I now have 2 sons and 4 granddaughters because of his dedication. My hospital bill was well over $100,000 and that was 43 years ago. We could never have paid for it.

What is so bad about The Affordable Care Act, is the younger, middle-income families are stuck between a rock and a hard spot - they get 'taxed' if they don't have it, they make too much money to qualify for Medicaid. In Georgia, we have a healthcare system for children in this position called PeachCare - funded by the lottery. Even though my granddaughters have healthcare through their Mama's job - it is like a 2nd-dary insurance for them. It's crazy ... I don't understand all the ins and outs but my DDnL#1 certainly does and she uses it to their advantage.

I'm just glad that I have the COBRA-ed insurance from my job and that I can now save $200 just changing to a PPO instead of them paying whether or not they (MDs) are on their list. All mine are. I just wish I had known this 20 years ago. Oh well ... now - after Monday it will be changed and I will see more of my Retirement check.

Lenora

PS - I don't mean for this to sound or be a 'political' subject ... just an observation
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,811 Member
    fanncy0626 wrote: »
    Min Oz- i'm glad that you're feeling better and have food that you can eat that would not bother your extraction site. I have to tell you that your experience has frightened me from going to the dentist with a similar issue. Instead of going to my regular dentist I will probably go to an oral surgeon now!

My dentist said she'd never experienced anything like it ... it was a combination of extra-long teeth, a partial but solid root canal, and a bad infection that had gotten into the bone and surrounding area.

I've had other extractions, when I was younger, that were a piece of cake compared with this one!

So ... you might get a couple opinions and see what they say.

Machka in Oz
  • skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,811 Member
    Bought groceries today and went to YM for water exercise. I am doing well on eating.

Janetr - Those ornaments are amazing. I especially love the blue and purple one. Those are my colors.

Joyce - At our old church in Sioux Falls we did shoebox Christmas for kids on the reservations. Clothing and food were provided by other charities so they did not want them in the shoeboxes. We always did one for a girl and one for a boy. I would see and buy things all year to put in them.

Pat - Glad your DH's recovery is going well. I like the picture with the goats. They look quite a bit like our little Kinder goats and they are very smart and lovable.

Pip - Those curls are beautiful and very becoming.

Everyone take care, Sue in WA
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,319 Member
    pipcd34 wrote: »
    Thx :0)

Pip - I want your hair. I've never been brunette before but why not give it a whirl, I say B)

Maybe Kirby will want to go show you off!

Lanette
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,041 Member
    :heart:
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,903 Member
    <3
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,331 Member
    Went to the deep water class today. The plan for tomorrow is to do an Upper Body Bikini Burn DVD.

Pat - your husband is so lucky to have you "pushing" him. Glad to hear he's feeling better

Pat - what is a plumbed fridge? Probably something that I just know by a different name

Dana - we had to put the cover on our med the other night. Boo!!!!

Meg - (((HUG)))

Allie - what side dishes are you making for Thanksgiving? We're having it at Jess' and I'm thinking that I should bring some sides. Thinking of making a macaroni & cheese casserole, a sweet potato casserole, and some biscuits. Give me more ideas.

Michele in NC
  • DamitJanit
    DamitJanit Posts: 1,329 Member
    Call me crazy but I love to see other people happy and succeeding .

Good Evening Friends,

Rye, thanks for the crock pot stuffing recipe. I think I’ll try it because as I said, mine never turns out in the oven.

Janetr, if possible I think your ornaments get more beautiful with each picture. Good luck on the sales.

Joyce, the shoe boxes sound great as well as spending the time with your sister.

Pat, so glad the patient is doing well and can get back to life. Sounds like you took good care of him. I am sending prayers and good thoughts for your SIL. That has to be so hard for the whole family.

M, I hope you heal faster than expected and the pain is gone. That was a terrible experience.

Katla, I hope your travel plans work out the way you would like. Sometimes the simplest things can get so complicated.

Heather, the princesses are so cute. Edie looks so grown up in that picture.

Pip, beautiful hair. I’m surprised you didn’t take Kirby out on a date?

MicheleNC, if you could take something you prepare in a crock pot it wouldn't require any oven space, which is always at a premium on Thanksgiving. Just an idea.

pretty-pink-welcome-smiley-emoticon.gifto all the Newbies. Come often and join in the chat. This thing works!! Please sign your post with what you want to be called. It makes it easier for us to respond to you. Also a location is great, be it specific or general. We are happy to have you join us.

I had a board meeting at the Moose this afternoon and it was a long one. Our year ends the end of April and many of the committees are squeezing their fundraisers into that last three months so it will really be busy after the first of the year. I stopped by Dollar Tree on the way home and got gift bags and tissue paper for the party favors for the Christmas Party. Now I can slowly start getting them all put together. I still get so ready for bed by 9:00 with it getting dark so early.

Sending love, good thoughts and cool sunshine to all of you.

I Love youwriting-a-love-letter-smiley-emoticon.gif
    DJ
    Myrtle Beach, SC
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,504 Member
    stats for the day:

rowing machine- 20min, 57aw, 114mhr, 3282meters = 114c
    apple watch- 142c
    jog- 29.27min, 6-8sp, 142ahr, 9.28min mi, 160mhr, 5k = 317c
    apple watch- 314c

total cal 432
  • langman22
    langman22 Posts: 786 Member
    <3:)
  • Artemis2121
    Artemis2121 Posts: 42 Member
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    Sue in WA Thank you so much. The purple and teal is definitely one of my favorites also. I ordered these beads from Amazon to have just the right colors for this decoration. I'm going to try selling them on line as soon as I have the web site and PayPal, etc. all set up. My main problem is, I have no idea what kind of $$ to price them at. Not sure anyone would want to buy them at all lol

Janetr OKC
  • janetr7476
    Kim thanks for the laugh, I needed that tonight. You go girl with your bad self. I would have been stammering and stuttering and probably have done it!! That was worth a door smacking on the rear HA!!

Janetr OKC
  • janetr7476
    Today we received some very heart rending news. My oldest sister was taken to the emergency room and admitted earlier in the week. They send her home today and said her COPD has progressed to the point she is not able to get enough oxygen and her heart is too weak to try any viable therapy. Tomorrow hospice will come and they will bring a hospital bed, etc. The doctor told my nieces that it could be as little as 6 weeks and much longer, no way to know, of course. I pretty much have been crying off and on all evening. I wish I were close enough to go visit with her. It all makes me very sad.

Janetr OKC
  • drkatiebug
    drkatiebug Posts: 1,939 Member
    Janet, I am so sorry about the news from your sister.

• Marcelynh
    Marcelynh Posts: 974 Member
    GodMomKim wrote: »
    Hi Gals,

Marcelynh – I copied it from Pinterest…. Is it spelled wrong? OH Darn! I can’t spell, there are 6 dictionaries in my house and I live and breathe spell check!
    Ok looked it up with both spellings and I think it is ok….

If it's what you want it's just dandy. It actually is a cute and quirky way of saying gobble (as in a turkey gobble) until you wobble (as in a weebles wobble but they don't fall down.... - *sung in the old commercial tune if anyone remembers that jingle). I would use gobble till you wobble but I've seen several spelled like you did it and wondered if it was just a regional thing. Now I know, it's Pinterest!

Spent the day sewing doll clothes for my granddaughter's Christmas Present. Gosh I hate tiny pieces. I did a tank top, a nightgown, slippers and made a robe that has a hood with bunny ears on it to start. I'll make her doll (an American Girl doll) about six outfits and a tent for her gift. Simplicity had their patterns at our fabric store on sale for $1 and I snapped up several doll patterns as well as a few dress patterns for myself. The limit was 10 so I had to control myself.... The good thing is all the doll clothes are being made out of fabric in my scrap pile so I've only had to buy bias tape and velcro.

Tomorrow I'm throwing pottery. All day if I need to. Have to get 20 mugs and 5 bowls done. I need to fire them by next Friday for their first firing so I can get them glazed and fired and distributed before Dec. 15th. Every year I say I'm going to start early. Every year I fail miserably at it.

Hiring my oldest grandson to come and move wood for me tomorrow. I have moved about 1/2 a cord that we split but still have a 1/2 cord left to be stacked. He needs money for some campouts so I'm happy to have him do it for me. Plus he's been driving his mother crazy. Just at that tough transition age for boys. Not little and not big, just stuck in the middle.

Dressing dolls in Houston
    Marcelyn
  • janetr7476
    drkatiebug wrote: »
    Janet, I am so sorry about the news from your sister.

Thank you. She's always been like my second Mom. Lots of people thot she and her husband were my parents. She always told me she would be okay with being my kids' grandma but NOT my mother. :)

Janetr OKC