November 2017 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• WandaVaughn
    WandaVaughn Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    My motivation is falling along with the temperatures. Sigh. My body thermostat seems to be broken. I'm cold all the time until I have a hot flash. The thought of getting out and running amongst the frost is not appealing at all. I take a daily vitamin, so I should be getting enough iron. Is this part of menopause? Is it because I've lost a lot of "insulation" this year? Would it have anything to do with my thyroid meds? I'm confused and disappointed in myself. If I don't figure it out, this will be a loooooong winter.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    My motivation is falling along with the temperatures. Sigh. My body thermostat seems to be broken. I'm cold all the time until I have a hot flash. The thought of getting out and running amongst the frost is not appealing at all. I take a daily vitamin, so I should be getting enough iron. Is this part of menopause? Is it because I've lost a lot of "insulation" this year? Would it have anything to do with my thyroid meds? I'm confused and disappointed in myself. If I don't figure it out, this will be a loooooong winter.

It does sound like what happens to me when my thyroid is low. If my morning pill doesn't absorb quite as much, I shiver all day and want to hide in bed.

I don't like cold at the best of times - today it's in the 40s - I've been spoiled so far, the weather has been nearly perfect since I started running. I own cold weather gear and a rain jacket and haven't needed to use either yet.
  • WandaVaughn
    Options
    @skippygirlsmom - I hope your job issue sorts itself out and you find yourself in a better position.

Sending out positive vibes to those that are hurting/injured. Take care of yourselves! And the moose pictures are wild!!!
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options

Idk if being cold is a part of menopause. I get cold the days before a period. Although it seems I've missed my first one this month, hopefully just due to age. I'm starting to get hot flashes. Not horrible so far unless I'm trying to sleep.

Might follow up with your PCP and have your thyroid rechecked?

ETA Google says cold flashes are also a thing. This just keeps getting better and better :flushed:

And
    https://www.runnersworld.com/run-matters/menopause-and-running-what-you-need-to-know
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    seanevan10 wrote: »
    @seanevan10 Ohhhh! Congratulations on the first tri registration!! Is it local? When is it? Is it a sprint? I wanna do it! Haha!

@Elise4270 Thanks! It is local. Keller. It is in March. Probably should have thought about that one a little harder as it will probably be wicked cold. (Well cold in us southern's perspective @MNLittleFinn @JessicaMcB @sarahthes ) LOL. Come down and do it with me!!!! We could pick a few days to train together between now and then! Registration is $51 until the end of the month.

You'll hafta get a tri suite for that cold water swim. If you wanna practice in cold water there's a spring up here that's 55f year round. Check out Sulphur, Oklahoma.

55f is cold? :D:D:D you're having a laugh aren't you? That's NORMAL for here. Everyone is still swimming in the pools and lidos reporting temperatures of 8 degrees and falling.... (46F). You need to toughen up a bit!!!
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    girlinahat wrote: »
    @seanevan10 Ohhhh! Congratulations on the first tri registration!! Is it local? When is it? Is it a sprint? I wanna do it! Haha!

@Elise4270 Thanks! It is local. Keller. It is in March. Probably should have thought about that one a little harder as it will probably be wicked cold. (Well cold in us southern's perspective @MNLittleFinn @JessicaMcB @sarahthes ) LOL. Come down and do it with me!!!! We could pick a few days to train together between now and then! Registration is $51 until the end of the month.

You'll hafta get a tri suite for that cold water swim. If you wanna practice in cold water there's a spring up here that's 55f year round. Check out Sulphur, Oklahoma.

55f is cold? :D:D:D you're having a laugh aren't you? That's NORMAL for here. Everyone is still swimming in the pools and lidos reporting temperatures of 8 degrees and falling.... (46F). You need to toughen up a bit!!!

Haha! The indoor pools are 82-86f!!! I turn blue in 55 degree water if I'm in it for very long! I definitely need to toughen up!
  • greenolivetree
    greenolivetree Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    Short of breath today but I'm sure I'll get my run done at some point.

@WandaVaughn Have you checked your blood pressure lately? Running really lowered mine and I was freezing until I adjusted. My husband's high bp also dropped recently and he was freezing constantly until he lowered his meds.
  • bjderhak
    bjderhak Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    @JessicaMcB My morning was def not as eventful as yours
  • WandaVaughn
    Options
    Short of breath today but I'm sure I'll get my run done at some point.

@WandaVaughn Have you checked your blood pressure lately? Running really lowered mine and I was freezing until I adjusted. My husband's high bp also dropped recently and he was freezing constantly until he lowered his meds.

I am on bp meds, too. I had to half the dosage a couple of months ago (with doc's approval) because of the weight loss and running. Haven't bothered to check the numbers, thinking half a pill would be fine. I'll look at that, too, now.
  • greenolivetree
    greenolivetree Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    @ceciliaslater It's so good to "see" you! Your 5k streak sounds awesome and that's nothing to sneeze at! I'm just hoping to hit 50 miles this month :p Good luck keeping up with this fast moving thread!
  • Teresa502
    Teresa502 Posts: 1,733 Member
    Options
    JessicaMcB wrote: »

And that's when I see the calf hiding in the Bush, realize that I've given Mama Moose two opportunities to *kitten* kill me because she is hanging with her baby, and bolt out of there. My last mile time was fire lol. And all this before 6AM!

So how has your morning been :D ?
    Yikes!!!! (But thanks for the pictures!)
  • seanevan10
    seanevan10 Posts: 385 Member
    Options

Yike. I am glad that it is an indoor swim...just getting from the indoor pool to the outdoor bike will be fun. LOL!
  • BruinsGal_91
    BruinsGal_91 Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options

Yike. I am glad that it is an indoor swim...just getting from the indoor pool to the outdoor bike will be fun. LOL!

The YMCA who organized the half I did at the weekend, do an indoor tri using the Y pool and gym. They were showing a video of it in the room where I was collecting my race bib. It might have been indoors, but the competitors were giving it their absolute all.
  • bjderhak
    bjderhak Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    @Azercord Isnt that desert home to a pretty awesome observatory?
  • cburke8909
    cburke8909 Posts: 990 Member
    Options
    3.3 elliptical miles. I'm going for a short 3 miler tomorrow. Going to keep the pace slow and hope my calf agrees.

exercise.png