WOMEN AGES 50 + FOR NOVEMBER 2017

Options

Replies

• exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,368 Member
    Options
    Did Denise Austin's Quick Burn Cardio DVD. The plan for tomorrow is to do Prevention's 400 Calorie Fix DVD.

myraknits - personally, I exercise almost every day. But that's just me, sometimes I think I'm addicted to exercise....lol I think most people here exercise fairly consistently. Life does get in the way and sometimes exercise has to take a back seat. But we get back on. People do different exercises, Mary does kettlebells, I like DVD's, barbie walks and uses the exercise bike and does line dancing, Katla does a lot of yoga and riding Arrow (the horse), some people run just to name a few, we all do something different. It wouldn't be a bad idea for you to up your exercise. Start small and before you know it, you'll be doing more than you thought possible. Do something you enjoy.

KJ - on my, a headache with little ones....hope it goes away real fast. Could it be sinuses? Whenever I get a headache like that, I need to take a decongestant.

I keep checking in to see if there is something from Lenora. Wish I knew what was going on. I do have her address. Wonder if I should try to call her? What do you all think?

Had another dance lesson. Personally, I would rather use the money towards landscaping, but it seems that Vince is really interested, he signed us up for 4 more classes. He likes the fact that it's challenging. Why he doesn't want to play mahjongg is beyond me. Talk about challenging the mind! But that's life.....

Rummikub tonight. Made these sausage, cheese and egg appetizers.

mmartin - welcome! Logging is one of the best things you can do. The other is exercise and I see you're doing both

Terry - a closed hand in mahjongg is when you can't call for a tile. In regular hands, if someone puts down a tile that you need, you can "call" for it and it's yours. However, in closed hands you can't "call". That's the main difference. As you can guess, they are harder to do. Last year Jess gave us all the "gift" cards that you described. Denise never turned hers in and neither did Vince. But Jess did take me to the spa. Unfortunately, I made reservations for fewer amenities hoping to save her $$$, but she was expecting the extra amenities. Oh well....

Carol - how horrible that they hit the water line! I sure hope it doesn't affect your foundation.

Becca - I find your stories about the nudist camp to be so interesting! Keep them coming!

Joyce - dear, oh no, another fall. Better take care of yourself, we need you and so does Charlie. So glad the styrofoam was there

M - yea for losing!!! Great report from the doc. Congrats on passing your course

Michele in NC
  • evie1958
    evie1958 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Peach, sure hope you can get the water back where it belongs!
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,071 Member
    Options
    0c29tusqgkjl.jpeg

Machka, you and your hubby should come do the Tongariro Crossing with me, if you come to NZ. I have started doing some research and here are some things I've read:

Lava flows, an active crater, steam vents, emerald-coloured lakes and magnificent views combine to make this an unforgettable walking journey.
    Often described as New Zealand's greatest day walk, the Tongariro Alpine Crossing is a challenging journey across a remarkable volcanic landscape.
    Mangatepopo Valley
    Beginning at Mangatepopo Valley near Whakapapa, the track follows a stream and the edges of old lava flows towards the valley head. Look out for varying patches of vegetation that reveal the age of the surrounding lava rock.
    South Crater
    At the head of the valley the trail becomes steeper, climbing from the valley to Mangatepopo Saddle between the mountains of Ngauruhoe and Tongariro. Stunning panoramic views look out over the volcanic terrain. On a clear day you can see as far as Mount Taranaki.
    Red Crater
    The trail leads from South Crater upwards towards Red Crater, the highest point of the Tongariro Alpine Crossing. The smell of sulphur is a reminder that this crater is still active.
    Emerald Lakes
    From here you begin the descent, past the stunning Emerald Lakes. The brilliant colour that gives them their name is caused by minerals leeching from the surrounding thermal environment.
    Ketetahi Shelter
    The trail continues over Central Crater to the old volcanic vent of Blue Lake, before it rounds the flanks of North Crater and descends to Ketetahi shelter. The final section is a long descent through tussock slopes to cool green forest, a refreshing change to the volcanic landscape.
    d6t8tqb1tg34.jpg

amazing
  • evie1958
    evie1958 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Rye, pot of gold is a brand of chocolates here in canada. Mince tarts are tarts made with mincemeat which is a combo of fruit and nuts, also flavoured with beef suet. I dislike all things mincemeat related. I believe pavlova is a baked meringue topped with fruit and served as a lighter dessert, again not a fan and lastly, a fruit pudding is similar to a christmas fruit cake and is steamed to cook it. I like those, but they are a lot of work. Usually served with a rum or caramel sauce, or at least that's how it was in my family.
  • ryenday
    ryenday Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    evie1958 wrote: »
    Rye, pot of gold is a brand of chocolates here in canada. Mince tarts are tarts made with mincemeat which is a combo of fruit and nuts, also flavoured with beef suet. I dislike all things mincemeat related. I believe pavlova is a baked meringue topped with fruit and served as a lighter dessert, again not a fan and lastly, a fruit pudding is similar to a christmas fruit cake and is steamed to cook it. I like those, but they are a lot of work. Usually served with a rum or caramel sauce, or at least that's how it was in my family.

Thanks, it is so fun to learn of others traditions and foods. For me Christmas tastes are homemade cookies and fudge - oh and also peppermint candy canes. Any and all cookies but especially an anise/Chinese five spice flavored shortbread type of Cookie. I’ve been trying to replicate that cookie for years now - as it was the only store bought cookie we would have and I have no recipe for it.
  • wildhorsewendy
    wildhorsewendy Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    Pavlova is divine.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,024 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    ryenday wrote: »
    Machka9 wrote: »

there are no 13 flavours of Pot of Gold or anything here),

We actually went looking for mince tarts during our grocery shop on Sunday,

of course there will be a pavlova on Christmas Day. Plus my husband will likely boil a Christmas pudding

Machka in Oz

Lots of stuff I don’t know!

Pot of gold?
    Mince tarts?
    Pavlova?

BOIL a pudding? I thought pudding was a desert?

Is Pot of Gold a Canadian thing? Look up Pot of Gold Chocolates in Google and check out the Images ... you'll see what I mean. In Canada, you can pick up a box of fairly ordinary Pot of Gold chocolates for about $5, so they're a common office exchange. A fancy box might be $10.

This is one of the more ordinary ones ...

PotofGold2.jpg

Mince tarts are ... mince tarts. Again, I'm guessing now that maybe this is a British (Canadian/Australian) thing. I thought everyone ate mince tarts for Christmas!

Back in the old days they were made with mince (meat ... like the meat pies here), but then they started mixing the mince with fruit, and eventually it became more and more fruit, and eventually the only nod to "meat" was a dot of suet. But now they don't even do that.

They call these ones "traditional" even though they don't have any meat or suet in them:
    http://www.taste.com.au/recipes/traditional-fruit-mince-pies/1fb44cb1-8172-4b0a-a450-01c977f9bfad

This is what I buy (I don't bother making mince tarts because it would probably cost me more than what I'd spend in a store).
    https://www.woolworths.com.au/shop/productdetails/720770/woolworths-fruit-mince-pies

720770_1.jpg

Pavlova ... there's a debate whether this is an Australian thing or a New Zealand thing. It's basically a huge meringue topped with fruit and whipped cream.
    http://www.taste.com.au/recipes/pavlova-3/e62d3cc8-a69d-4ae3-8a6d-5226751a274d

This evening, I'll post a photo of one of mine. :) This has to be one of my favourite Christmas treats ... SO good. I could eat a pav a day throughout December. But I'd be as big as a house if I did. So I make one ... or maybe 2 ... right around Christmas.

I usually do my pavs with a magic mix egg
    https://www.woolworths.com.au/shop/productdetails/38986/pavlova-magic-mix-egg

038986.jpg

And a pudding is essentially a Christmas cake (fruit cake) ... more or less, perhaps slightly different) which you mix up (mix the ingredients) and instead of baking in an oven, you put it all into cloth, then boil.

You can make it yourself from scratch or buy one ready to boil.

It comes out sort of cake-like, and you top it with cream, or since I don't eat cream, whipped cream and sometimes a syrup of some sort. It's moister than a Christmas cake, almost melt in the mouth.

My husband has done the "ready to boil" ones, but last year he made his own and was it ever good!! :) I actually got him a pudding steamer/boiler last year ... I'll have to find it and set it out for him. :) Hint. Hint. ;)

Machka in Oz

(Sorry about the huge images)
  • coastalgosgal
    coastalgosgal Posts: 2,900 Member
    Options
    Ooooooh Pavlooooova! Love that!!!
    Becca drooling in
    Oregon
  • coastalgosgal
    coastalgosgal Posts: 2,900 Member
    Options
    I think the Aussies will state Pavlova is theirs and New Zealand will state its theirs, but really as long as there are chickens, there is enough Pavlova to be shared by all. Amen.
    Becca
  • dreamwriter
    dreamwriter Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    I have made it to page 64. You know me, keep falling behind.

Joyce- So sorry to hear about your stumble. I hope you are not in too much pain.

Carol - thanks for finding Lenora. She is on my prayer list.

Frankiesgirl21 - Sending prayers for you and your family.

I am having a hard time concentrating these days. My sleep pattern is so disturbed. This being at work at 6 a.m. does not seem to be working for me. Work is stressful even more so now.

Larry got hit in the head by a piece of plywood. It knocked him right over on to his knees which are in rough shape. The wind was blowing like crazy in StandOff. He went out there to paint some doors. The plywood should have been secured. He's gone to bed exceptionally early yesterday and today.

Jheri and her painting partner had a scary situation today. Someone overdosed across the street from them. Chris did CPR while Jheri called 911 and tried to find a kit from one of the businesses. The opiate use here is so bad for such a small city.

- Sharon in Lethbridge.
  • spikeyhair
    spikeyhair Posts: 2,078 Member
    Options
    Kate UK <3
  • Machka9
    Options
    A couple of my pavlovas ... :)

I bought the pavlova base (the meringue) for this one:
    15429491043_c9e41fd1dc_c.jpg

And this was made with one of the magic mix eggs:
    15931744788_1e60124cd5_c.jpg

• Machka9
    Options
    KJLaMore wrote: »
    Machka- The pudding sounds yummy! I wouldn't worry about that 2kg weight gain. I am sure you will have it off in no time!

As of this morning (16 hours ago), the 2 kg was gone. After about 10 days of eating ice cream and mashed potatoes, I tightened up my logging, stuck to a net of 1300 calories per day, and started exercising more.

My plan is to keep it up till just before Christmas and hope to lose another 2 or 3 kg. :)

• Machka9
    Options
    0c29tusqgkjl.jpeg

Machka, you and your hubby should come do the Tongariro Crossing with me, if you come to NZ. I have started doing some research and here are some things I've read:

Lava flows, an active crater, steam vents, emerald-coloured lakes and magnificent views combine to make this an unforgettable walking journey.
    Often described as New Zealand's greatest day walk, the Tongariro Alpine Crossing is a challenging journey across a remarkable volcanic landscape.
    Mangatepopo Valley
    Beginning at Mangatepopo Valley near Whakapapa, the track follows a stream and the edges of old lava flows towards the valley head. Look out for varying patches of vegetation that reveal the age of the surrounding lava rock.
    South Crater
    At the head of the valley the trail becomes steeper, climbing from the valley to Mangatepopo Saddle between the mountains of Ngauruhoe and Tongariro. Stunning panoramic views look out over the volcanic terrain. On a clear day you can see as far as Mount Taranaki.
    Red Crater
    The trail leads from South Crater upwards towards Red Crater, the highest point of the Tongariro Alpine Crossing. The smell of sulphur is a reminder that this crater is still active.
    Emerald Lakes
    From here you begin the descent, past the stunning Emerald Lakes. The brilliant colour that gives them their name is caused by minerals leeching from the surrounding thermal environment.
    Ketetahi Shelter
    The trail continues over Central Crater to the old volcanic vent of Blue Lake, before it rounds the flanks of North Crater and descends to Ketetahi shelter. The final section is a long descent through tussock slopes to cool green forest, a refreshing change to the volcanic landscape.
    d6t8tqb1tg34.jpg

That looks wonderful!! You do have some stunning scenery over there!

M in Oz