WOMEN AGES 50 + FOR NOVEMBER 2017

Options

Replies

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,927 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    And this is the main tempting food for me at this time of year. This is what they've got right up front in the grocery stores. You can't miss them. Stacks of them ... calling to me ... telling me how wonderful and sweet and juicy they are ... and that I should buy the whole lot!

It takes a great deal of restraint to limit myself to 1 or 2 a week from now and for the next couple months while they are in season. I love them ... when I eat them, I practically wallow in them they are so ripe and juicy. But they do tend to be a little bit higher in calories.

6915700919_872e77eea1_b.jpg

Machka in Oz
  • Lagopus
    Lagopus Posts: 1,016 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Machka - Mango is one of the few things I've ever had an allergic reaction to. My mother-in-law brought me one straight from India when I was expecting her first grandchild. I ate it, enjoyed it - and then broke out in a rash like nobody's business. I think the allergy was pregnancy-related, because that had never happened before even though I ate lots of mango in my teens when we lived in East Africa. But after that reaction it was years before I dared try again. Now I can eat them, but I refuse to eat the sorry excuses for mangos they sell at 78°N.
    /Penny, picky at thet07190.gif
  • Machka9
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Lagopus wrote: »
    Machka - Mango is one of the few things I've ever had an allergic reaction to. My mother-in-law brought me one straight from India when I was expecting her first grandchild. I ate it, enjoyed it - and then broke out in a rash like nobody's business. I think the allergy was pregnancy-related, because that had never happened before even though I ate lots of mango in my teens when we lived in East Africa. But after that reaction it was years before I dared try again. Now I can eat them, but I refuse to eat the sorry excuses for mangos they sell at 78°N.
    /Penny, picky at thet07190.gif

Fruit can be funny that way. There are a couple I have mild reactions to.

And yes, I did not like the Canadian mangoes. I tried them a couple times, and just found them so hard and sour. Did not like them at all. Then I came to Australia in 2004, and just before Christmas, my cycling partner and I were cycling in Queensland. There were trees lining the roads (not in fields or orchards) laden with mangoes ... so ripe they were dropping.

My cycling partner, a guy from the UK who had visited Australia before, started gathering them and offered me one. Oh. Um. A mango. But I was really hungry (we were on a pretty tight budget) so I decided I might as well give it a go. You could have put a straw in it and drank it ... and it was one of the most wonderful pieces of fruit I'd ever had. We almost lived on slightly overripe mangoes for a few days!

A month or so later, I returned to Canada, and tried one there .... nope. Still awful. So the mangoes here are one of the reasons I like living in Australia. :) And they are in season now! :)

Another one I want to find ... and they should be coming into season soon ... is lychee. But they do tend to be a bit expensive down here in Tasmania. In Queensland, we were able to get big bags of them for about $2. Several places had trees and it was like they were just trying to get rid of them they had so many.

M in Oz
  • Machka9
    Options
    barbiecat wrote: »
    :) When I was a child we had two mango trees in our yard in South Florida. My mother loved them. She said they were so juicy that she thought she should eat them in the bathtub.

That's about how I am when I eat them! :lol: My hands and arms and face are just covered in mango by the time I'm done!
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Machka ~Congrats on achieving your three goals.

Wendy ~ What a beautiful landscape.

Pip ~ What a nice memory.

Beth ~ I’ve not gotten on the scale in over a week. Afraid to see.

Chris ~ I hope your work conditions will improve under the new boss.

Felicia ~ Hugs for you and your family. We lost my mom the day before Christmas last year.

Joyce ~ Be careful lady!

Sharon ~ I’m glad your daughter and her partner were able to help the overdose victim. Sorry about your DH’s accident.

Kelly ~ Healing thoughts for your knee. Doing strengthening exercises for quads and hamstrings have helped mine a lot.

We are waiting for the water company folks to come fix the leak. Impatient! :s

Carol in GA
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,575 Member
    Options
    KJLaMore wrote: »
    Happy Wednesday all! First off I want to say to Felicia- So sorry to hear of your sister's passing :( but so happy you were able to get home and see her before she passed. Just lost my younger sister this past January. Sending big, BIG hugs to you and your/her family. <3

Myra- Welcome! Nice to read that you are on the road to recovery. I think adding to your walking regime is a great way to boost your exercise. Almost a no brainer if you are a regular walker already.
    Machka- The pudding sounds yummy! I wouldn't worry about that 2kg weight gain. I am sure you will have it off in no time!
    Joyce- Healing thoughts!
    Wendy- That photo is fantastic! Have you been there?
    Pip- Love all of your ornaments! Sending special hugs to you as you remember your late husband (Lenny, was it?) <3
    Becca- You are a goofy girl! I bet you keep your hubby laughing as you sing your way through life.
    Carol-Ugh! A water line break! What next?! Hope the water dept gets out there and gets it taken care of! That happened to our neighbors earlier this year, unfortunately, they had not moved in yet, so it had been leaking for a while.
    The water leak was in their yard, but wasn't noticed until it pooled on the sidewalk. Their yard was "spongy", but nothing seeped into their basement. Fingers crossed for you!

Well, I am calling my PC physician today to set up an appointment to have my left knee checked out. I was having trouble a couple of weeks back. A little pain in the front and back of the knee, but it felt wobbly, like it wouldn't hold my weight. So...I stopped walking with the kiddos for a couple weeks. Well, after four days of walking over the Thanksgiving holiday, I think I may have re injured it? Or over taxed it? Pain is now on the side of the knee and it is a little swollen. I can still walk on it. Feels stiff, but pain only if I turn/twist wrong. DH is worried it is my meniscus. In the meantime, I am not walking or swimming until I see the doc. I am wearing a knee brace and will try to keep the kids off my legs. Grrr...I don't think I will need any surgery. Doesn't feel that painful and I have never had an issue with my bones, joints, muscles, etc. Pretty sure it will just be a couple weeks of less activity, RICE in the evenings (a challenge for me), etc. This means...I HAVE to get back on my high protein meal plan and stick to it, so that the weight doesn't add up as holiday food leaps into my mouth.

On the upside, DH who has been fighting a nasty cold (we all know how men are when they are like this) and the constant battle with his RA; he has been amazing! More active than I have ever seen him as he tries to take care of me. He has become my fetch and carry guy without me even asking. Up and down stairs. Bringing me laundry or folding it himself, he made me sit on the couch last night and brought me dinner. Granted I made dinner, but he made me sit, set me up with my phone, remote controls, beverages, plate, ice pack on my knee. Maybe the best medicine for him is to have a reason to get busy, or some one other than himself to think about...hmmmm....I will keep this in mind, even when I have healed!

Hope you all have a wonderful day! It has been balmy 50's here in West Michigan. We are getting a nice warmish breeze off the lake that is keeping the cold at bay. They are forecasting snow for mid and northern Michigan later this week, but we probably won't see any (that sticks) for a while. Now I am of two minds about the snow. I LOVE snow and I LOVE shoveling. As the primary shoveler, getting snow now, while I am injured, would be a problem. BUT...I SO want a white Christmas...

Well, going to fly and get some pancakes on the griddle for the kiddos. Then brownies into the oven for we have a birthday girl, today! She is two, and sassy. But today she will be two, sassy and happy for birthday brownies. ttfn xoxoxo KJ (Kelly)

you're right, it was lenny
  • pipcd34
    Options
    :0)
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    mmartin & other Newbies: Welcome to a great group! Stop by often to give and get support. :smiley:

Peach: If necessary, nag AT&T until they fix the damage they've caused. Take photos and do every thing necessary to make a claim stick. :griumble:

Heather: I know it must be emotionally difficult to see your friend suffering, and I respect your commitment to her. You are a true friend. :star: My guess is that your stepdaughter won't be hungry enough for a full meal when she arrives, but bread and cheese or soup might be welcome. :flowerforyou:

Becca: I like your power phrase idea. A person needs to encourage herself with strong, positive thoughts. :star:

Barbie & Machka: I also plan for regular exercise although I'm a piker compared to both of you. I take yoga classes at least three mornings a week, and ride an exercise bike while at the gym to burn at least 100 additional calories. I ride Arrow a couple of times a week and this includes grooming before and after the ride, & saddling. I also walk the dog regularly. The gym and stable are weather proof, but walking isn't and I tend to be a fair weather walker. :embarassed:

Joyce: I am so sorry that you fell. The railing is a grand idea. We ordered metal railings for our deck steps from a company in the mid-west. They look like wrought iron, but they're actually made of steel. You can order them painted or not. DH found them through Etsy. We chose to have them powdered coated white by a local company to match the deck railings. They weren't cheap, but they're great. I'm sure you can find something that suits your home. :heart:

Our house cleaner is supposed to come today, and at the moment she is late. I wonder whether the distance to our place is becoming too great a challenge for her. We really like having the help so I hope I'm worried about nothing.

Katla in beautiful NW Oregon

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison
  • pipcd34
    Options
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,253 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Wendy - Love the photos of you running. Really great to see you so healthy and dedicated. :drinker: You truly are reaping what you sow.

KJ - Sorry about the knee. As a fellow knee sufferer I know how frustrating it can be. Grrrrrrrrrr!

I'm back from London. Lunch with my cancer friend was lovely and we had a very good chat. She had made me an origami bird mobile for Christmas and was thrilled with her bracelet. For her dessert treat I got her chocolate cheesecake and some dulche de leche truffles. :D I had stinky cheese instead. :o>:)
    The journey home was horrendous. My train was cancelled because of signal problems. I got on the first train which went anywhere near home (the airport) and even that was delayed and stopped at unscheduled stations. I was lucky enough to bag the very last seat and many people had to stand. I was just grateful to have a seat! DH was kind enough to drive over to pick me up, though he was slightly grumpy in the freezing cold weather and the huge queue for the car park. But he did it. <3
    I was very glad to get home. Phew!

Feeling very appreciative of all I have, Heather UK xxxxxxx
  • OregonMother
    OregonMother Posts: 1,569 Member
    Options
    Hi, everyone.

Wendy -- I love your running pics. You look amazing. And the scenery you ran through is beautiful. Congrats on doing such a good job.

I'm just not feeling it . . . anything. I'm feeling bad that I'm not with my mom. :cry: I mean, when someone dies, everyone's supposed to rally, right? And we just all went on with our lives. So I'm not getting much work done today, and I've been overly emotional about everything. I suppose it's all amplified by the jet lag/sleep deprivation. At any point in the day, I'm not sure what time it is!

Anyway, I am taking tomorrow afternoon off to drive down to Eugene to meet with the pastor who is going to do the memorial service. Fortunately, one of my oldest friends works in the same building, so I've already arranged to meet with her after the pastor meeting. I really just want this part to be over.

Sorry for being a downer.

Felicia
    Willamette Valley, Oregon
  • ryenday
    ryenday Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    Felicia, I would send you a package of strength and serenity if I could. You are describing grief, I think. A healthy but painful process.

I have no wisdom, and my words are not likely to offer much comfort. But my thoughts are with you.
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    You had me drooling with that meringue desert. When k eat a meringue pie, I carefully eat all the filling and crust and then have just that beautiful meringue left t savor!

The calls I put out for someone to come me do a railing have not called back. So nothing done yet.

Becca, you just need to start a blog on line that people subscribe to. That way you could just ramble on and on about whatever you want to say and sing when you feel like it. We would get the best of you.

Joyce, Indiana
  • skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    Hello all: Took my dog to the vet today because she has been limping and sitting funny. Turns out she has a torn ACL. They want $2000-$6000 to do surgery and then more money to do rehab. She is 11 years old and has mammary chain tumors, probably breast cancer. I have chosen at this point to provide pain relief and light exercise rather than surgery.

Machka - We had meringues in England when we were there. They were really delicious. I tried making one at home but it did not come out the same. Not sure what I goofed up.

Joyce - You sound like you are on self-destruct. Please, please take care of yourself.

KJ - Hope the knee is feeling better soon.

Everyone take care, Sue in WA