Serial Starters

Options

Replies

• Ammey68
    Ammey68 Posts: 65 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Tess - thanks for the welcome! Yes, life is busy. On top of it all, we just got engaged at the end of last month and we're planning a March 2018 wedding. It'll be quite a busy few months with prep for that, too. Sometimes I get tired :) how is MPF going for you, outside of the community aspect? Do you use the tracking features?

Tess/Kristina - I don't drink NEARLY enough water either. It seems to be a common factor in the swelling department! New goal = more water.

Now, off to do a reading lesson with my 5 year old...
  • Tilliesmommy1
    Tilliesmommy1 Posts: 5,350 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Good evening,

Was about even on the calories until that cookie......

Tomorrow is toenails and hair apt, so I will have time to crochet more trees.

Eye routine with a hot compress after dinner blurs my vision and I can type, but I cannot sew small items on small crocheted trees, so maybe tomorrow.

Ammey = water is one thing I just dont do well enough with, so I am with you.

Wishing all a good night.
  • Tilliesmommy1
    Options
    WEDNESDAY

Good morning,

Dog has been wanting breakfast for awhile but the paper arriving clinched it. She is now fed and I will find more sleep.

Hair and nails today and day off. Taking a day off a month was a smart move.

Wishing all a great day . BBL
  • Kristina79Marie
    Kristina79Marie Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    Yes! Water is definitely an issue for me! I am going to try the gallon jug thing I saw on Pinterest. You mark each hour of how much you should drink and you make it happen.

I did a 10k and a 5k on the same day earlier this year and my fingers looked like Jimmy Dean sausages!

Just curious, where is everyone from? I love reading the posts and I now prefer this over Facebook. Yay, my habit is forming!! I am from northern Kentucky
  • Ammey68
    Options
    Good morning! Boy I don't want to get up today. My fiance has had a cough for a week and a half and I've been having trouble sleeping due to his constant coughing. Nothing seems to help. *yawn*

Sara - have a great, relaxing day off!

Kristina - I just recently got not one but THREE water bottles gifted to me for my birthday, all from different people. Clearly I need to take the hint. Try the jug idea and let me know if it works for you! Also, I'm from Minnesota. I spend most of my time in downtown Minneapolis, where I work.
  • tlsb2016
    tlsb2016 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Good morning from chilly but sunny Washington, DC! There is construction going on outside my office window so am helping myself concentrate with headphones and Xmas tunes. :smile:

Sara, SO smart to take off a day per month. Enjoy the “me” time.

Annmarie, yes - I definitely use the MFP tracking. I’m convinced that’s what has made a difference for me this time. I’ve been tracking everything i eat and drink since Dec. 31 - good days and bad. It has helped with portion control and making better food choices. I focus on calories rather than the macros, which I realize is not ideal but has worked for me so far. I also track water intake which helps me get 80-90 ounces a day. It sounds like a lot but it’s not for me - plus I get steps in from walking to the bathroom! Watching water also made me realize that I did fine during the work week (I’m a nonprofit fundraiser so am sitting down a lot) but was really low on water during the weekends.

Re exercise, I focused initially on walking - getting 10k steps in (I synced my iPhone step counter with MFP). In July, I realized that wasn’t enough so I started back to the gym regularly. I log those exercises into MFP as well.

I started with a reasonable weight loss goal - 1 pound/week and 40 lbs. I hit that initial goal in late September but haven’t reset the goal yet - am waiting until I hit the 1 year anniversary on Dec. 31, then will figure out what to do then for 2018. For now, am hoping to get through the holidays relatively unscathed with reasonable expectations!

And that’s my MFP story! I suspect I’ll always need to log so I don’t go off the rails yet again. I’m definitely a serial starter, but right now I’m at the lowest I’ve been in decades and I don’t want to go back up (I’m in my early 50s). Plus, I now have clothes I like and given what they cost me, I don’t want to have to get larger sizes again.

Waves to all. Have a good Wednesday.

Tess
  • Tilliesmommy1
    Options
    My dvd was making strange noises this morning so unplugged and ordered a replacement - I dont buy the expensive ones as I dont need all the bells/whistles and things are not built to last anymore anyway. So one week without dvd - reading and knitting and Acorn TV on the computer.

Kristina, Annmarie and Tess, good morning!! If I walked a 10k and 5k there would be an ambulance to scrape me off the asphalt! Water water water - more water less tea.

Oatmeal on, will stop by later.
  • rsamuelsgold
    rsamuelsgold Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    Building healthy habits is hard. Decided to go back to my no added sugar habit and just the thought of it actually scared me.

I had a lot more energy than and made wiser choices still feels like I'm losing something precious. That makes no sense it's just sugar in coffee and tea which taste better without sugar anyway. So why does it feel like I'm cutting off a limb?
  • hickchic67
    hickchic67 Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    Tess - ditto on the water situation. i do great during week then never seems like i drink enough on weekends. (wow, that sounds so weird if you didnt know it was water i was talking about! LOL)

Annmarie - to get me into the water drinking routine, i set a reminder on my work computer and on my phone that goes off each hour. i drink at least an 8 oz glass of water each time. i got more than my 8 glasses just at work, anything at home was "icing on the cake" so to speak. i am in such a habit of it now that i dont even drink much else. maybe a warm tea on cold nights, but rest of time just water. i get about 100+ oz a day average now. if i drink less, i can definitely feel it. of course, i joke that my running to bathroom is my new PT program! LOL

Kristina - i do swell a little when walking. mostly my feet but my hands do and all my "surface" veins swell up and puff out. more to do with my circulation and CVI than anything.

rsamuels - building healthy habits is super hard! just remember how you did no added sugar habit before. good luck!!

Am doing better tracking. however, just because i am tracking doesn't mean i am keeping low calorie count. in red a lot. just so tired that i grab whatever is quick and easy to eat.

Doctor set me on really high dose of antidepressant. he said 90 days then re-evaluate. may be able to drop dosage later as neither of us actually know if current issues are more situational or chronic depression.

Still trying to get in "walk breaks" when others take smoke breaks. Was doing quite well then got a bunch of work to do that prevented me from doing last couple of days. Am trying to spread tasks out so that I can start doing it every day again. a co-worker brought in Leslie Sansone WalkFit dvds and a small group of us are trying to do those every afternoons.

*snapping fingers for Cboys to bring me cold water and a foot massage!*
  • Tilliesmommy1
    Options
    Good evening,

Topsy turvy day - line from sink to main water line for building had to be replaced so they had to shut down the water for the building and give people warning, so it happened while I was at my appointments. Hair dresser was running late - so I missed the coffee and cake I had planned for myself.

Came home, was making dinner and my drinking glass fell into the scrambled eggs I was making - nothing broke but it is just one more thing today and I just cracked my elbow on the corner of a cabiniet -

Would be glad when I can just crawl under the covers and call today done.

Better healthier habits, start small and slowly if possible.

*running under rock to hide for evening - cboys foot massage here too...
  • Ammey68
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Wow! I LOVED reading everyone's MFP stories/water intake tricks/etc etc today. I don't have time to respond individually but I'm so inspired! Thank you! I have so much to learn from all of you.

Sara - what is Acorn TV? Sorry to hear about your coffee/cake/egg/glass/elbow fiascos today! Too bad your day off didn't go better. At least you weren't at work?!

My win for today - several co-workers asked me to go out for work sponsored doughnuts and coffee. I declined, and then had to eat a whole bunch of baby carrots at 9am to stop me from changing my mind. Weird to eat veggies in the morning, but I'm proud that I didn't go for the doughnut! Baby steps.

I'm not sure if anyone is still doing this anymore, but I'm going to share my stats as a starting point to keep me accountable :)

Monday's starting weight: 180.8 (close to highest ever - eek!)
    Today's weight: 178.8
    Goal weight: 135

I've got a ways to go...
  • Tilliesmommy1
    Options
    THURSDAY

Good morning,

Annmarie - ACORN TV is like NETFLIX in that you can stream TV shows and movies online for a monthly fee ($4.95) and shows produced by that company are shown - British Comedies/Drama/Documentaries etc.

Good job on declining doughnuts! We still sometimes post stats I was thinking I might more in New Year...... we shall see.

Dog is up and fed, lunch is packed (salad from Cafe) and oatmeal is almost ready.

Leak near dishwasher has slowed and should be stopping which is a nice change.

Hoping for some zzz before work. Wave to all who follow.
  • LanaCabana537
    LanaCabana537 Posts: 3,890 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Good morning all~~

One eye open - not enough sleep, but the sun is out, and I want my coffee.

*tossing hat and beach bag onto favorite lounge chair*

BBL

Lana

244.4 - today (two weeks without a scale, and NO tracking, and I am roughly the same. Whew.)
    250.0 - highest
    185.0 - goal
  • lilithsrose
    lilithsrose Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    I haven't been mentally capable of doing what I need to do lately to lose weight. I'm ready to start again though. I'm going to the gym today and I'll be officially tracking calories again tomorrow.

I just moved into my own house, so its a lot easier to control what food is available and my gym is on my route home. I'm currently 218 pounds. My goal is to reach 160 pounds and to get stronger.
  • hickchic67
    hickchic67 Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    rhaiin - am right there with ya about not being mentally capable of doing what needs to be done. i am really hoping to change that before the new year.

sara - sorry you had such a crazy day. i have had several of those so I can feel your pain!

Lana - hope you keep those Cboys on their toes bringing you fresh coffee!

annmarie - great job on avoiding the donuts! cake donuts are my kryptonite. i know if i even take one bite, i am gonna eat the whole bag/box/whatever container. i keep Detour & Quest protein bars at work so if someone brings in sweets, i can have one of those protein bars and have sweet tooth satisfied. (the bars taste more like candy bars) they are also great when running/working late for lasting energy.

i have some co-workers on-board with doing the "walk breaks" and we have been able to do them so far.
    also, cleaned out the fridge & pantry. i gave away or threw away nearly all the "junk" (unfortunately, i do have to keep some so DH doesnt feel like he is deprived and starving)

trying to get all Christmas presents wrapped and get tree put up. am doing a "wall tree" this year. our cat is just too much of a cat to get an actual tree up. we tried it last year and that made us decide to go with wall tree this year.

my former boss's mother passed away over the weekend. DH and I are going to the funeral home for visitation tonight. am keeping fingers crossed i can keep my whits about me while there.

oh - and there has been an arrest made in DD's storage unit being robbed. they have at least one person in custody. know she has to have accomplices but at least this is a start. DD says they are waiting on warrant to go search that person's storage unit to see how much stolen stuff they can recover.
  • LanaCabana537
    LanaCabana537 Posts: 3,890 Member
    Options

Kathryn - interesting about the business with that storage unit robbery. I hope your daughter can get more of her stuff back. She did get some at a flea market recently, right? Wishing her good luck!

It seems odd to me that your doctor started you on a high dose of anti-depressant and then may pull back. Maybe that's typical of that specific drug, but I thought they start low and then increase. I hear you on the situational vs. chronic. My psychiatrist always asks me questions to determine whether to increase mine, but so far I've held to my original dose of generic Effexor because I know most of my problems are indeed situational not just brain chemicals. Hugs.

Some sort of teardrop-shaped little black seeds have fallen from some tree in the back yard, and the birds are having a field day! Yay~

Lana
  • tlsb2016
    tlsb2016 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Annmarie- congrats on overcoming temptation! This is a tough time of year - everyone is bringing treats into work so they don’t have them at home.

Kathryn - deep breathing and good luck with the funeral home. Given the year you’ve had, there is bound to be some anxiety kicking up. Self-preservation is key here - if you need to leave, do it.

Hi rhaiin - I totally understand. I had been starting/stopping trying to lose weight for awhile. Then something clicked at the same time I learned about MFP. So far, the constant tracking has worked for me.

Lana, the birds in the backyard bring up such a lovely image. Make sure the C-boys thoroughly clean off the chaise lounge before you settled in.

Waves to Sara and all who are wandering about.

Tess
  • Tilliesmommy1
    Options
    Good evening,

Did well with calories until I added the doughnut...... luckily I dont eat them in the quantity I did. Just is.

Breakfast burrito in freezer to the rescue!! Had no idea what to have for dinner.

Raking leaves brought in some calories.

Got an A on my dental cleaning from the hygienist, so I will take that.

Hope you found strong and good coffee Lana. Hope your DD gets some of her stuff back Kathryn. Funerals are never easy, do your best and give yourself credit.

Almost Friday. Breathe deeply and enjoy the rest of your evening.
  • ASalner
    ASalner Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    Thursday

Long day - on the road and back again with a long meeting in between. Lots of homework with DD tonight.

And tears! Our vet sent us a card and included some paw prints they took from our cat, Tiki, who we put down last week. I have had moments of sadness and tears on and off - but that card and the paw prints kicked off some sobbing for me. For some reason still questioning myself if we did the right thing even though I know we did. I think part of it is the holidays. I wish she could have stayed a little longer. It's been a week. I feel like I should be getting over it better than I am. But I miss her. I miss her "talking" to me and her company. Her quirks and seeing her in her favorite spots around the house. I miss her laying next to me at night. :( Our other cats are doing their best to "take over" and are establishing some new routines. I know it will get better. We have had to put down two other cats before this. So, I know this too shall pass. This one has just been extra tough, I guess.

And all this emotion is not helping me with trying to eat well. I haven't gotten any exercise this week but hope to change that this weekend. We simply will set aside time to go to the gym. I haven't faced the scale in several weeks due to fear and embarrassment. But trying to cut myself a little slack with the cat, the house stuff, etc.

We did get good news today. Our seller had the fireplace repaired (it is a gas fireplace and wouldn't turn on during the inspection) and had an exterminator come in to check for mice and bats. (There was evidence of some droppings in the garage attic and apparently the main attic, too.) They sealed off multiple entry points for mice and also put out baits for mice. There was no evidence of bats. So, we'll have to keep checking for mice but I'm glad we had them hire the exterminator to do a thorough inspection. They still need to have the furnace inspected/repaired and have the carpets professionally cleaned prior to closing.

I'm off to a hot bath. Fighting a cold on top of everything else.

Friday tomorrow!

Annie

• Tilliesmommy1
    Options
    FRIDAY

TGIF- good morning.

Found boot socks at one point and will look for more for Secret Santa gift and myself. So warm.

Annie - I am thrilled to learn the seller is willing to pay for the fireplace/furnace and exterminator - those are things that are $$$ and a real pain to have to deal with when you are new to a house - so great news!

Who got 3 water bottles as gifts? Fill with water and send good thoughts to each person as you drink the water - just a thought.

Tick tock - time to scoot. Lurking from work. Wave to all who follow.