Unwarranted Advice

Options

Replies

• jelly_potato
    jelly_potato Posts: 77 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Most of the woo I hear comes from my mother sadly. Her elderly doctor convinced her that I gained weight a few years ago because I started taking fish oil supplements. It definitely wasn't due to stress and overeating. I guess she confused it with the spoonfuls of fish oil that were given to weak children in the past. She said that I would lose weight instantly if I dropped the fish oil supplement.
  • Rickster1967
    Rickster1967 Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    pogiguy05 wrote: »
    That I should drink my water at room temperature to burn fat.
    ZoneFive wrote: »
    Conversely, that you should drink ice water so your body would use more energy warming it up.

Both of these from the same person a few weeks apart.

With that ice water response my first thought would be great then strip naked and go into a walk in freezer. that should burn alot of calories there. bwhahahahahahaha

shivering burns lots of calories because of fast muscle contractions

whether anyone would want to do it deliberately for weightloss is another thing altogether

Cryotherapy for recovery from injury & exercise is proven science
  • biscuitnow
    biscuitnow Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    "As long as you always fast for five hours between meals, you can eat as much as you like because it'll make you lose weight in your sleep."

I wish.
  • knhigham
    knhigham Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    My sister, telling me that I should have bariatric surgery, because she had it.

(Only had 55-60 lbs to lose, no discomfort in my body, and no health conditions. Hadn’t seriously tried losing weight for years, until nine weeks ago. Down 10 lbs so far.)
  • Evamutt
    Evamutt Posts: 2,318 Member
    Options
    I have a friend who is always giving me advise, mainly from ww but also Dr Oz & random tips. She used to be in ww years ago but gained it all back
  • xhunter561
    xhunter561 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Yaranak wrote: »
    What's the most annoying unwarranted advice that you've ever received about your diet?

Mine was today at the gym, when I mentioned that I would like to do a body analysis at the gym before my breakfast/workout. The owner said "oh no! you should always eat a snack before working out, and never eat carbohydrates after working out". :#

LOL love it, it's silly but i would not take it as offence because I don't think it was meant like that. For most people that is good advice but for people that do OMAD or IF for Whatever reason they are doing it is not that relevant. But it depends on the eating window and If you eat your meal or meals before your workout or at the end of the day. As far as annoy I really don't let people get under my skin about my diet or at lest i don't sense I pretty much look up the science behind what i am doing and test it myself. People are going to find something to complain about and a lot of it has been drilled into them from doctors to commercials to stars, ect. What used to bother me was the whole "your going to die and all if you don't eat carbs". (I am referring to the simple carbs not the fiber carbs, fiber carbs are important for your little gut buddies.) Just trust how you feel when it comes to your diet if nothing is wrong there isn't much to improve, if something is wrong you have something to improve.
  • Sp1tfire
    Sp1tfire Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    "You eat so healthy you don't need to watch calories" - Friend eating a whole avocado alongside a full lunch of probably 1000+ calories
  • EEAngelina
    EEAngelina Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    That I don’t need to lose weight and to eat more.... ok your not the one that cry’s cuz you can’t fit into your clothes sheesh keep your unwanted opinion to yourself!
  • azironasun
    azironasun Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    "You don't want to lose any more weight, you're face is starting to look gaunt"

Said by a very fat neighbor, even though I'm not even to the halfway point in my weight loss journey.
  • MissyCHF
    MissyCHF Posts: 337 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    "At my age I shouldn't be dieting, older people need some extra flesh to help fight any illness we/I may have." etc.
    This from friends or relatives who are themselves overweight.
  • ScarlettCheshire
    Options
    azironasun wrote: »
    "You don't want to lose any more weight, you're face is starting to look gaunt"

Said by a very fat neighbor, even though I'm not even to the halfway point in my weight loss journey.

Ugh! Thank you! I just had one of my regular clerks say the same thing! (Although in my case I think he said that so I’d buy junk treats..)
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,070 Member
    Options
    "At my age I shouldn't be dieting, older people need some extra flesh to help fight any illness we/I may have." etc.
    This from friends or relatives who are themselves overweight.

O. M. G. This, this this-itty this This THIS! ;)
  • lcoulter23
    lcoulter23 Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    "Just eat more salads, you'll lose weight"

Um... I'm allergic to lettuce...
  • iosephdion
    iosephdion Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    "don't worry about losing your boobs as you lose weight, men love them at any size"

seems like ok advice to me i worried about that alot when losing my first 50 pounds... luckily i didn't drop too much in that area