Of refeeds and diet breaks

Options

Replies

• laurenebargar
    laurenebargar Posts: 3,081 Member
    Options
    Nony_Mouse wrote: »
    Did anyone stay off the scale for a bit when starting their diet break? Ive been eating at maintenance after the Holiday, and also started strength training about three days ago. I want to make sure im doing the diet break correctly however im not sure Ill stick to it knowing the scale is going up, if so how long did you stay off the scale? A week? Two weeks? more?

I still weighed every day, but then I wanted the data. Really, you should only be seeing an increase on the scale the first few days, if it continues to go up that's possibly a sign you've overshot maintenance cals. It would be a pretty slow increase though, unless you'd miscalculated considerably. If you're more comfortable not weighing, I think that's fine. It should only take a few days to a week to settle back once you're at a deficit again, but then everybody is different I guess.

I was thinking that, but with adding in a new exercise im not sure. When I started playing tennis every day my weight shot up for about ten days. Maybe ill give it a week and check again then.

I don't know how much you still have to lose and at what rate you are set to lose it

But if it's a pound a week or something, you'll need a few weeks in deficit to really notice a loss anyway

so what point does frequent weighing serve? unless you find it motivational you are only confirming the process is working

I'm planning on dropping 2.5lbs per week and not going to weigh for 3 weeks & then only to log it in here to keep the progress chart going

I have about 20 pounds to be to a normal BMI and I'd like to lose a total of another 46, I've lost 50 so far. Probably a pound a week is going to be as fast as I can go unfortunately

right so if it's more like 0.5 to 1 lb per week, you'll need 3 or 4 weeks AT LEAST to see a difference

even then fluctuations for all the known reasons could mask that loss.

I find having a planned weigh in date, 3 or 4 weeks ahead, really motivates me because I want to see 6 to 8lbs off in a single chunk. A pound here or there is not really motivational at this point. No doubt as goal weight approaches a pound will feel great.

But starting out with 140 to go I needed to see decent sized drops

Suggest you set a date and aim for that weigh in. Focus on accurate logging until then. The rewards are great then.

It remains to be seen of course whether your diet break actually helps when back in deficit, as predicted, by upregulating your metabolism. This may mean you drop quicker.

Good luck, look forward to hearing news of your post-diet break success

Great advice, thanks so much, I will definitely set a date and weigh in then!
  • tar2323
    tar2323 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    tar2323 wrote: »
    Talking of allergies, I've just had to cancel friends coming for New Year as the top half of my face is twice the size it was. A Christmas gift of individual eyelashes (salon applied) has turned into a supersize nightmare. My eyes and tops of my cheeks are so swollen and bruised they look like they are about to split (in fact, my eyelids are bleeding already). Off to the doc in a minute for the third time in three days. I'm on 6 Piriton a day and antihistamine eyedrops with the promise of a hospital visit if the swelling doesn't start to abate soon.

As a salve, I have put not one but two pairs of glittery boots through the checkout basket, inspired by VintageFeline's post a few days ago. :)

Oh that sounds like a nightmare. I hope you have some relief soon. I'm happy for your consolation boots, though.

"Consolation boots" - I read that wrong and my mind went off in a whole different direction, haha. It may be imagination, but I'm feeling a little relief from the first dose of Prenisolone already. Fingers crossed.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    anubis609 wrote: »
    Sorry about the hay fever, Nony. Have you tried different variations of allergy meds? I don't know how many are available on the market over there. I know that certain ones do nothing for mine, but one particular type works wonders.

Anubis, so sorry! Food poisoning is just the worst. Had it twice in my life and honestly, I'd rather give birth than have food poisoning again. I hope you're on the mend.

Thanks! I'm gradually getting better. I haven't reverse digested food since Monday, so that's good. I'm sure it's a combination of the cold weather, slight dehydration, and actual gastric infection, but my skin is itchy and dry. A minor inconvenience that's preferable to the worse alternative of food poisoning lol.

On the bright side, I guess, is that I'm now 1 lb lighter (2 lb net gain) from the xmas excursion. I haven't worked out yet and this is actually the longest stretch of rest/recovery I've had this entire year. All muh gainz are gone! is what's rattling around in my brain but I know better, logically.. I just need to concede to going back in at a less stressful load and being happy with doing the "minimal effective work"

It was my experience that the dehydration lingered, so as soon as you can stomach, hit things like broth HARD to replenish.

Sorry for the itch.

I'm itchy now too, but that's just being old and post menopausal and having dry skin and it being cold AF right now. I have a heavy hitter emollient cream that helps quite a bit. How cold is it? Currently, it's a balmy 17F outside. I don't want to know what the wind chill is. The cold is seeping in the house and my joints are acting up from it.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    edited December 2017
    Options
    Did anyone stay off the scale for a bit when starting their diet break? Ive been eating at maintenance after the Holiday, and also started strength training about three days ago. I want to make sure im doing the diet break correctly however im not sure Ill stick to it knowing the scale is going up, if so how long did you stay off the scale? A week? Two weeks? more?

Well, my diet break consisted of a week of disinhibited eating, so I'm off the scale until I'm back into good habits for a while so I'm not triggered to over restrict.

Some day, I will get my head screwed on straight to do all of this properly!

I will say this much: I still look okay in the mirror. So no matter how much I might have put on in scale weight, I know I didn't put a lot back on in fat.
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Options
    Talking of allergies, I've just had to cancel friends coming for New Year as the top half of my face is twice the size it was. A Christmas gift of individual eyelashes (salon applied) has turned into a supersize nightmare. My eyes and tops of my cheeks are so swollen and bruised they look like they are about to split (in fact, my eyelids are bleeding already). Off to the doc in a minute for the third time in three days. I'm on 6 Piriton a day and antihistamine eyedrops with the promise of a hospital visit if the swelling doesn't start to abate soon.

As a salve, I have put not one but two pairs of glittery boots through the checkout basket, inspired by VintageFeline's post a few days ago. :)

My ability to enable knows no bounds! I am literally "that" friend. In the last month I have had one friend buy boots, bag and jacket. Another two friends buy the same dress and a different friend again buy a jumpsuit. I shop vicariously through other people and their cash that I don't have, heh. I am excited for my boots though, I don't actually have any low/flat boots so they'll genuinely fill a gap in my overstuffed shoe arsenal.

Sparkly boots 4lyf.

Edit because brain is hopeless: Bloody awful on the eyelash reaction, are they not obliged to do a skin test like hairdressers are for dye?

Well, I thank you (as I'm sure your friends do to) for being my glittery boot purchase enabler, although my bank manager may not feel the same way. Glittery kitten heels for life, haha.

Unfortunately, my eyes are so swollen I can barely see them. Back from docs with Prednisolone now, so the heavy hitters are in force.

The salon did a patch test for both eyebrow wax and eyelash glue. I suspect the allergy is to the glue remover. Once all this has abated, I'll have some more tests of various substances done, though I think my days of fluttery eyelashes are now in the past :(

I was on prednisone recently, expect impressive water gain (jacked cortisol), but also much relief of reaction, and fairly swiftly. I was like the energiser bunny the first five days on the twice a day dose, and actually didn't have any appetite increase, so that was fun, because I was burning a billion calories a day. Oh and sleep is not a thing, sorry.

If you need enabling in lingerie purchasing, lemme know, that's my thing ;). Oh and also jeans and shorts it seems. I have never owned so many pairs in my life I don't think.

Thanks for the heads up re water gain - it's good to be forewarned. Doc did mention increased energy and to take the full dose in the morning (although had to take today's dose later afternoon). I think the drowsy effect of the Piriton might be damping that down a bit - I hope so for the sake of my beauty sleep tonight.

My face is much redder but already feels a bit less pressured. Fingers crossed the Pred is beginning to do its thing.

Luckily, I don't think I'm yet ready for jeans/shorts and my lingerie itch is well and truly scratched (for now - I'll be in touch for advice, haha).

Yes, take it in the morning. I had a split dose to start with, then once a day once the dose was halved. I took a benzo several nights and still didn't sleep particularly well.

My full length jeans were bought earlier in the year when I got back to what was old goal weight. I have no idea if they even fit now. The black skinny jeans should be fine, not so sure about the Levi's. Then I needed shorts. Then I kept going in to see if the black crop jeans I wanted had come down in price and ended up with a pair of blue 3/4s b/c they were only $20 (and are slightly too big now that the denim has relaxed). And then the black ones were finally cheaper in the Boxing Day sale.
  • Nony_Mouse
    Options
    anubis609 wrote: »
    Sorry about the hay fever, Nony. Have you tried different variations of allergy meds? I don't know how many are available on the market over there. I know that certain ones do nothing for mine, but one particular type works wonders.

Anubis, so sorry! Food poisoning is just the worst. Had it twice in my life and honestly, I'd rather give birth than have food poisoning again. I hope you're on the mend.

Thanks! I'm gradually getting better. I haven't reverse digested food since Monday, so that's good. I'm sure it's a combination of the cold weather, slight dehydration, and actual gastric infection, but my skin is itchy and dry. A minor inconvenience that's preferable to the worse alternative of food poisoning lol.

On the bright side, I guess, is that I'm now 1 lb lighter (2 lb net gain) from the xmas excursion. I haven't worked out yet and this is actually the longest stretch of rest/recovery I've had this entire year. All muh gainz are gone! is what's rattling around in my brain but I know better, logically.. I just need to concede to going back in at a less stressful load and being happy with doing the "minimal effective work"

It was my experience that the dehydration lingered, so as soon as you can stomach, hit things like broth HARD to replenish.

Sorry for the itch.

I'm itchy now too, but that's just being old and post menopausal and having dry skin and it being cold AF right now. I have a heavy hitter emollient cream that helps quite a bit. How cold is it? Currently, it's a balmy 17F outside. I don't want to know what the wind chill is. The cold is seeping in the house and my joints are acting up from it.

Heavy hitter emollient FTW!! My neck was so dry this morning when I woke up I couldn't tilt my head back fully. I plastered that stuff on thick on my neck and face and it just slurped it up.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    I continue daily weighing but then I can largely be dispassionate about a known scale spike. I've had a huge one after 4 days of freely eating and drinking but there's no biological way anything more than about 1lb is fat gain. So it's more amusing and interesting to see it going up and now coming back down again (2lb whoosh already overnight).

I am a dirty hypocrite though and don't log those weights in Happyscale but then I justify that by knowing it will throw the numbers out of whack for longer than necessary and it actually becomes not useful with it messing the numbers up once I'm back in a deficit on January 1st. Maybe 2nd........
  • Rickster1967
    Rickster1967 Posts: 485 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options

I still weighed every day, but then I wanted the data. Really, you should only be seeing an increase on the scale the first few days, if it continues to go up that's possibly a sign you've overshot maintenance cals. It would be a pretty slow increase though, unless you'd miscalculated considerably. If you're more comfortable not weighing, I think that's fine. It should only take a few days to a week to settle back once you're at a deficit again, but then everybody is different I guess.

I was thinking that, but with adding in a new exercise im not sure. When I started playing tennis every day my weight shot up for about ten days. Maybe ill give it a week and check again then.

I don't know how much you still have to lose and at what rate you are set to lose it

But if it's a pound a week or something, you'll need a few weeks in deficit to really notice a loss anyway

so what point does frequent weighing serve? unless you find it motivational you are only confirming the process is working

I'm planning on dropping 2.5lbs per week and not going to weigh for 3 weeks & then only to log it in here to keep the progress chart going

I have about 20 pounds to be to a normal BMI and I'd like to lose a total of another 46, I've lost 50 so far. Probably a pound a week is going to be as fast as I can go unfortunately

right so if it's more like 0.5 to 1 lb per week, you'll need 3 or 4 weeks AT LEAST to see a difference

This is why trending apps are recommended.

yes

but the lady has already lost 50lbs, she has learnt the process, knows what to do to lose weight, it's merely a case of sticking with the accurate logging now to achieve goal weight - learning what the trend is at her stage doesn't really add much information

the discussion is about when is it worth stepping back on the scale after the diet break for me I'll be waiting 3 weeks at least after getting back to deficit and for Lauren it may not even be worth it then. Her rate of loss is lower than mine. If she weighs in 3 weeks time it may well not show any loss.

In fact, waiting 3 weeks then weighing every day for a week might be useful information now I think about it.

Anyhoo, with 50lbs and more to go we know we are going to be in deficit for a long time yet. Collecting data along the way is definitely very useful though
  • laurenebargar
    Options

I do use libra, I just have been avoiding the scale since the day before christmas, I know ill regret not having the data but also thought it might be a mental break, I can always start inputting data again into Libra.

Im going to have to take this into consideration and make a decision either way, it shouldnt be a difficult one but for some reason it is!
  • Nony_Mouse
    Options

yes

but the lady has already lost 50lbs, she has learnt the process, knows what to do to lose weight, it's merely a case of sticking with the accurate logging now to achieve goal weight - learning what the trend is at her stage doesn't really add much information

the discussion is about when is it worth stepping back on the scale after the diet break for me I'll be waiting 3 weeks at least after getting back to deficit and for Lauren it may not even be worth it then. Her rate of loss is lower than mine. If she weighs in 3 weeks time it may well not show any loss.

In fact, waiting 3 weeks then weighing every day for a week might be useful information now I think about it.

Anyhoo, with 50lbs and more to go we know we are going to be in deficit for a long time yet. Collecting data along the way is definitely very useful though

Her rate of fat loss is lower. Any spike during diet break is water weight and more food in the system, unless she's overshot maintenance cals. For every single other person in this discussion who has done a diet break, that has been gone within a week if I recall correctly, often with a bit extra.
  • Nony_Mouse
    Options

I do use libra, I just have been avoiding the scale since the day before christmas, I know ill regret not having the data but also thought it might be a mental break, I can always start inputting data again into Libra.

Im going to have to take this into consideration and make a decision either way, it shouldnt be a difficult one but for some reason it is!

Don't worry, I know all too well how the scale can mess with your head. Do what feels best and easiest to deal with psychologically for you :)

FWIW, my trend line just flatlined on my first diet break, even though the scale went up, with a small blip up at the end coinciding with ovulation. For me, that was actually comforting that I was indeed maintaining for that 10 days.
  • Nony_Mouse
    edited December 2017
    Options

Don't worry, I know all too well how the scale can mess with your head. Do what feels best and easiest to deal with psychologically for you :)

FWIW, my trend line just flatlined on my first diet break, even though the scale went up, with a small blip up at the end coinciding with ovulation. For me, that was actually comforting that I was indeed maintaining for that 10 days.

I think maybe I will get back on the scale, the data has helped me so far in losing the 50 lbs and even if I did put on a pound or two by over shooting my calories I know how to get the weight off. I know it will be higher from the gym at the very least but I should see that go down in 7-10 days.

Ill keep everyone updated on the diet break, and then im transitioning back into losing Jan 8th!

Remember, to gain a pound of fat you'd have had to have overshot by 3500 cals. My bet is that it's pretty unlikely that you were that far out in your calculations. But, as I think I said somewhere along the line, another reason imho for continuing to weigh, because if you have over calculated, the scale will continue going up beyond that initial few days, and you know to pull back a little on the cals (not all the way!). New exercise muddies the waters a little for you, but if you started that a few days ago, starting weighing again now should stay fairly stable from here on in (assuming you don't increase resistance).
  • laurenebargar
    Options

I think maybe I will get back on the scale, the data has helped me so far in losing the 50 lbs and even if I did put on a pound or two by over shooting my calories I know how to get the weight off. I know it will be higher from the gym at the very least but I should see that go down in 7-10 days.

Ill keep everyone updated on the diet break, and then im transitioning back into losing Jan 8th!

Remember, to gain a pound of fat you'd have had to have overshot by 3500 cals. My bet is that it's pretty unlikely that you were that far out in your calculations. But, as I think I said somewhere along the line, another reason imho for continuing to weigh, because if you have over calculated, the scale will continue going up beyond that initial few days. New exercise muddies the waters a little for you, but if you started that a few days ago, starting weighing again now should stay fairly stable from here on in (assuming you don't increase resistance).

Yeah I really dont think I would have overshot by that much either. I plan on just keeping up with my new routine, which includes weights (I wasnt doing any strength training before) and ill track my weight and see what it does,
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options

Remember, to gain a pound of fat you'd have had to have overshot by 3500 cals. My bet is that it's pretty unlikely that you were that far out in your calculations. But, as I think I said somewhere along the line, another reason imho for continuing to weigh, because if you have over calculated, the scale will continue going up beyond that initial few days. New exercise muddies the waters a little for you, but if you started that a few days ago, starting weighing again now should stay fairly stable from here on in (assuming you don't increase resistance).

Yeah I really dont think I would have overshot by that much either. I plan on just keeping up with my new routine, which includes weights (I wasnt doing any strength training before) and ill track my weight and see what it does,

At my peak the last few days I hit 166lbs. That's 10lbs more than my lowest a few weeks ago. I'm one of those people who bounces up 2lbs-ish when I switch to maintenance but I then don't move much. I do the continuing to physically shrink thing instead.

This morning I was 4lbs under that peak and that should continue to drop. I didn't even eat enough for 5lbs gain never mind 10lbs!

So it helps to just think about the numbers to rationalise the irrational tendencies even the best of us have. I haven't maintained or continued to lose over the last 3 years without having a handle on how it all works and strategies to not make myself crazy.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    edited December 2017
    Options

You need to do what's best for you wrt the scale. Some people can handle it, and some people find it triggers bad behaviors in certain situations.

I know that for me it does that latter when I'm coming off a bad spell, so I stay away from it for a while. YMMV. You can only find this out for yourself from experience.

I found out for myself that trending apps did my head in in a very bad way and came to prefer tracking an overall downward trend in my lowest recorded weight instead. I'm pretty good about not fooling myself about a gaining pattern, so this works for me. Again, YMMV. Time and experience will show you what's best for you.

This may all change for me once I'm in maintenance, of course!
  • collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member
    Options
    I *swore* I was going to do maintenance while traveling. But apparently, when it's a combination of travel + no social cues that it's time to eat, I'm horrible at actually remembering to eat. Tomorrow, I'll try to build in some more cues -- and actually pay attention to my phone alerts.

First day was awesome. But oh, my poor ankles. They're not quite at grapefruit size, but they are definitely not their normal selves. Time to start pushing more fluids, and haul out the compression hose.