WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JANUARY 2018

Options

Replies

• ryenday
    ryenday Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    ydailey wrote: »
    Today is Answer Your Cat's Questions Day!

"If you’re a cat person, you’ll no doubt wonder what your cat is thinking from time to time. What unsolved mysteries does your tabby ponder, hmm? Answers Your Cat’s Questions Day is a chance to find out, and to answer some of the big questions. Take some time and attempt to work out what questions your cat is asking, and make a concerted effort to fill in the blanks." Riiiight. I think the only question my cats ponder is when I'm going to feed them again.

Blessings and a happy new year to you all!

-Yvonne in TX

LOL! Too true!

You were missed, so sorry to hear about your father and glad to hear you are taking care of yourself!
  • lorig_2000
    lorig_2000 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Hi I’m back to MFP after 6 years away. How do I join this group?
  • spikeyhair
    spikeyhair Posts: 2,078 Member
    Options
    Kate UK <3
  • LisaInAR
    LisaInAR Posts: 2,020 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    lorig_2000 - you've joined just by posting. Not a group, but a thread, which will start clean once more at the beginning of February. They're a great group. Just tell us what name you'd like to be called by, and a general or specific location.

Vic in Missouri - welcome, as well!

I'm taking a brain-break from all the grants, and because my 3 p.m. meeting got postponed to 5 p.m., I've got time to breathe for a minute. The days do just fly by when I'm so busy, which makes me happy. Not so happy about a 5 p.m. meeting, but it could be worse.

Lisa in NC
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Options
    You are in just by posting!

Carol from GA
  • tigerblue
    tigerblue Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    I'm in.

January/February resolutions--
    No refined sugar (and as few as possible refined carbs) on weekdays. Maybe a glass of wine, but mostly save alcohol for weekend.
    And no going crazy on weekend, just allowing small treats.

The last 6 years of my weight management have been brutal. I've got to turn things around! But my body doesnt respond like it did at age 40!
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,329 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    This is the first three verses of The Address to a Haggis. It is an eight verse poem. We usually read these, in a Scottish accent, and then the last verse. At the appropriate moment in the third verse you plunge your large carving knife (dagger) into the haggis.

dlamux2dks1j.png

The translation is there.

Wendy - That is something I have considered from time to time, when my writing wasn't going so well. I am able to easily envisage sequences and detail. And pitfalls. However, I have a tendency towards perfectionism and can easily drive myself nuts. I also have a reputation for long, excellent meals etc and I am shying away from the expectation as it is too much of a burden, now my writing is serious again.The last twice we had guests we went to the local pub! I still provided cocktails and nibbles before and homemade truffles when we got back. :o
    My motto for years has been DON'T LET THE PERFECT BE THE ENEMY OF THE GOOD. I have to stick to that to avoid it driving me mad.

Yvonne - so sorry to hear about your dad. I suppose the only blessing was that it was quick. But such a shock! (((HUGS)))

Much love, Heather UK xxxxxxx
  • langman22
    langman22 Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    Hi ladies,

Lisa, that’s wonderful news about the warehouse paperwork. Good start to the week.

Heather, good news about the potential building. Congrats on the c25K!

Karen, glad to hear the new job went well.

Penny, cute pic!

Allie, I’m not surprised that you didn’t sleep. I’m sure your dad dying was quite a shock. Hope your brother behaves himself. If not, just walk away.

Tere, sorry to hear your college classmate passed on Saturday. So sad that she lost hope. Yeah on the 10 lbs! That’s wonderful. Enjoy your company.

Rye, sorry you still aren’t feeling wall. This has been a bad year for colds and flu.

Yvonne, I’m sorry to hear about your dad. I’m sure you took good care of him at the end and make his transition peaceful. (((Hugs)))

Vic, welcome!

Lorig_2000, you joined the group when you posted. Just tell us a little about yourself and what name you would like to use.

Got up this morning and did my 1- min kettlebell exercises. But found out doing it isn’t he a.m. isn’t going to work as I got so sweaty that I didn’t have time to cool down before I had to shower and get ready for work. Looks like I’ll have to do it after work instead.

Eating going well so far today which feels good. I do feel like I want to eat, like I did when I first started with MFP but I know that will be away over time. Going to have to just push through. I’d like to get below 200 again before my birthday in February. I only must lose 3 lbs so I should be able to do that.

?Well, got to get back to work.

Terry in VT
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    Options
    Heather wrote "Good news on the Burns Night front. I texted my brother and his wife and they said they are arriving at 6 pm Thursday. Plus they are back on the booze! So they will be able to toast the haggis when I stab it! Marvellous. I've got to go out tomorrow to get "neeps and tatties", and cream and chives to make the whisky sauce. Dessert is homemade raspberry sorbet/ice cream with superthin biscuits and starter will be nibbles in the living room of homemade yogurt cheese and smoked salmon on my Volkornbrot that I got from Lidl. I bought some beautiful cocktail napkins for that in a silver and blue "mermaid scales" pattern. <3 For the table I have a red tartan runner and red napkins. And two "wee Jimmy" hats for the men to wear. I have my bagpipe music downloaded.
    Friday I will do my exercises and my day 3 week 4 run before setting off to London for the SingalongaSoundofMusic.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxx "

My dear Heather, if I did not have to drive to Denver on Thursday for my sis's service on Friday, I believe I would be headed to your house. That sounds like a magnificent celebration!!! You are definitely in your element as a hostess. <3<3

Janetr OKC
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Lisa: We will leave home on the 25th, spend the night in a hotel near the airport and fly to Illinois the next morning. We have a lovely woman coming to stay in our house and take care of our dog. :bigsmile:

Yvonne in TX: Welcome back! I'm sorry for the loss of your dad. :broken_heart::heart:

Meg: Nice to have you check in. Stay warm! :star:

Heather: Enjoy Burns Night and your guests. :bigsmile:

I made it to yoga and feel better because of it, but I wore regular jeans and they are not up to the job of allowing flexibility. I don't recommend them for yoga wear. :noway: :ohwell:

Katla in beautiful NW Oregon

"Normally I'm quite normal . . ." The Gods Must be Crazy

• okiewoman510
    okiewoman510 Posts: 1,294 Member
    Options
    Yvonne - I'm so sorry to hear about your father. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

Meg - The way I see it, each meal is a chance to start over. Don't let one bad meal derail your day.

lorig_2000 - Welcome

Vic in Missouri - Welcome

tigerblue - Welcome

Lisa - Glad the warehouse appears to be on track! Great news and a great relief to not stress about money.

Tere - Condoleances on the the loss of your friend.

Terry - Yeah for being so close to onederland again! You can do it. I have 3 lbs to hit my mini goal by Feb 2. We can do it!

Heather - Glad your Burns Night celebration is coming together!

Rye - Feel better soon!

Okie in the TX Hill Country
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Options
    (((Allie, Terry, Yvonne, Janet, Becca))) :'(
  • langman22
    langman22 Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    megblair1 wrote: »
    Hi ladies. Well 60+ pages ago everyone was wishing me success with starting over, and here I go again. Last week I was just overwhelmed and ate way too much,, but as they say each day is another chance to start over, so that's what I'm doing today. I don't know why but I almost get paralyzed I guess with anxiety or maybe depression, I have no idea, but just can't accomplish anything when I feel that way.

Today is a snow day. The immediate area is getting all kinds of different amounts of snow, from almost nothing to I just heard 9". Depends on what side of a line you are on. DD#2 is in Sioux City and they are having a blizzard there. Everything here is shut down. The snow is beautiful, but wet and heavy, so I will be wrestling with the snow blower later on.

DH is doing well. He started violin lessons (I think I may have told you that). He used to play with the Phoenix symphonette (youth symphony), but hasn't played in about 20 years. He's been wanting to pick it back up and there is a guy there who owns music studios and teaches, so they got together. He also found a trainer, so he is getting some help with physical fitness. We are both glad the shut down appears to be over; when the corrections officers get furloughed, the inmates are locked down, so no mail, no phone, no email. He does have email now and that's really nice. He's going to a 12 step group now too. He's also in toastmasters and is taking a math class (not sure why he picked that one...it's called Joy of Math...bleh).

Well I best get up and accomplish something with my free day. I took a long nap this morning after reading the paper, so now it's time to be productive! Always lots to do, so there is no shortage of things to occupy me.

Take care and stay warm if you are in the snow's path! Meg from snowy Omaha

Meg I'm like you in that I get paralyzed and feel some anxiety sometimes to the point where I feel like crying. Food has such a pull. I sometimes feel panicky and have to do some deep breathing. My food is very much linked to my emotions and sometimes I get overwhelmed. When this happens, I try to go do something that will shift my mind to something else. I just keep telling myself that this will pass and it does.
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,673 Member
    Options
  • lorig_2000
    Options
    langman22 wrote: »
    Hi ladies,

Lisa, that’s wonderful news about the warehouse paperwork. Good start to the week.

Heather, good news about the potential building. Congrats on the c25K!

Karen, glad to hear the new job went well.

Penny, cute pic!

Allie, I’m not surprised that you didn’t sleep. I’m sure your dad dying was quite a shock. Hope your brother behaves himself. If not, just walk away.

Tere, sorry to hear your college classmate passed on Saturday. So sad that she lost hope. Yeah on the 10 lbs! That’s wonderful. Enjoy your company.

Rye, sorry you still aren’t feeling wall. This has been a bad year for colds and flu.

Yvonne, I’m sorry to hear about your dad. I’m sure you took good care of him at the end and make his transition peaceful. (((Hugs)))

Vic, welcome!

Lorig_2000, you joined the group when you posted. Just tell us a little about yourself and what name you would like to use.

Got up this morning and did my 1- min kettlebell exercises. But found out doing it isn’t he a.m. isn’t going to work as I got so sweaty that I didn’t have time to cool down before I had to shower and get ready for work. Looks like I’ll have to do it after work instead.

Eating going well so far today which feels good. I do feel like I want to eat, like I did when I first started with MFP but I know that will be away over time. Going to have to just push through. I’d like to get below 200 again before my birthday in February. I only must lose 3 lbs so I should be able to do that.

?Well, got to get back to work.

Terry in VT

• lorig_2000
    Options
    Thanks for the reply. You can use Lori. I’m 58, live in Calgary AB. I work as an Admin assistant so I’m in front of a computer for 9 hours a day. I just gave up on WW so came back to MFP after 6 years away from it. How do you start a post using an IPad that stays in the group?
  • wildhorsewendy
    wildhorsewendy Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    Terry, congrats on getting your kettlebell workout in first thing in the morning making it a priority and starting the day with a WIN. Studies have shown over and over that people who exercise first thing in the morning are much more successful at sticking to it, rather than those who try to fit it in later in the day, when things crop up and they have used up all their energy. So, my humble suggestion to you, is to set your clock a little earlier, every day try to get up ten minutes earlier, until you have enough time to squeeze your workout in and cool down and shower before your angelic presence is due at work. It may mean going to bed a little earlier each night as well. To achieve your health goals, it is worth it. <3 Wendy
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: