WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JANUARY 2018

Options

Replies

• dreamwriter
    dreamwriter Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    More tired than I thought I would be. Christmas party was a resounding success. I am so tired though and it isn't that late. Can't keep up with the kids. Lol. Tomorrow Larry's brother is coming to pick up the table that we paid for him. I'm not sure what we are having for supper or how many people yet?

-Sharon in Lethbridge where it is still snowing.
  • wizzywig
    wizzywig Posts: 1,246 Member
    Options
    Sharon I have just seen the birthday cake for Harmony - Wow! amazing cake and what a pretty little girl. (I can understand why you had to have a piece of cake)

Viv <3
  • spikeyhair
    spikeyhair Posts: 2,078 Member
    Options
    LANETTE thanks so much for the link to Broken Brain just watched Episode 3 which was only one I missed

Will now catch up and post later

Kate UK
  • spikeyhair
    spikeyhair Posts: 2,078 Member
    Options
    Enjoyed the Birthday party last night, wasn't particularly good but not too bad. Nice thing was our niece paid for it all (nice surprise which we didn't expect) Out today on our date Sunday so back on track tomorrow.

After watching Broken Brain i am going to look again at Keto not sure if I can do it but will have a look. I am also going to try turning off ipad tv etc for a while before bed and will get a good vitamin and mineral supplement.

VIV I was lucky enough to be born in 1945 so got my State pension at 60 and then retired at 65 from my job. It is absolutely outrageous the way the Government moved the goalposts. Anyway enough of that as we tend not to get too much into politics. Good luck if you do retire, finest thing I did, really enjoy my life, but realise that you need a decent enough income to live comfortably.

Off to exercise now, all have a great Sunday

Kate UK <3
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    <3
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,344 Member
    Options
    Heather - It is so great you and your DH are on the health journey together. I don't know what I'd do if my DH ate the way I did, lol. Wish he would, and he's getting better at it but I think all the meds he's been taking for his arthritis have compromised his stomach, plus he had colon surgery so sometimes his digestion is iffy.

I've designed my own eating plan - cutting back a bit on dairy to see if I can stop the sinus headaches and it seems to be working. Still eating yogurt and cheese - milk in coffee now and then. I have a slice of wonderful sprouted wheat & grain toast for breakfast each morning and a couple servings of fresh fruit each day, plus lots of beans, nuts, winter squash, etc. My complex carb intake is off the charts, lol. I crave crunchy salads. I'll admit I ate a whole avocado last night - it was getting on the soft side and I knew a half wouldn't keep another day. I did NOT wake up hungry this morning, lol.

Margaret's ideas about improving sleep came at the right time. If I don't sleep well, and especially if I wake up in the middle of the night with a sinus headache, I am almost guaranteed to have brain fog. Coffee can take the headache away but the fog is still there, lol.

And turning my little tablet to "blue screen" in the evening really does make me sleepy!

Speaking of beetroot - I found a good recipe for spiralized carrot and beet salad so will make that today.

Viv
    - so interesting about them moving up the retirement age. Here in the US, they moved it higher for younger folks many years ago, but they are given years to prepare for it. Having a work pension sure helps. You'll enjoy your retirement and having time for YOU B)

Becca - sounds like the nurses will take good care of you both.

Joyce - what does your doc want your ideal blood pressure to be? I think it's true the older we get, the higher pressure we need so we don't get dizzy (up to a point of course).

Kate - glad you were able to watch Broken Brain episode 3. I think that was my favorite one.

Michele
    - I think it would be neat if they had a Stair descender next to the Stair climber at the gym, lol. According to some, descending stairs puts more stress on bones than climbing them, hence helps to build up bone in our hips.

KarenNY - Enjoy that trip to Rome :) That's a super anniversary present <3<3 Congrats! Sounds wonderful!! Have you been there before?

Tere
    - good luck on the job! Staying with your mom sounds like the perfect solution!

Where's Rori? I hope Katla's visit to see the kids and grandkids is going well. B)

Lanette
    SW WA State
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,923 Member
    Options
    :)Viv, I retired at age 58 and Jake a year later. My decision to retire was based on many aspects of quality of life. My retirement income would be higher if I had worked longer, but the joy of spending time with my husband and doing things I love has been more important. We moved to a less expensive home, cleared out the things in our house that weren't adding value, and make well planned thoughtful decisions about how to spend out time and our money.

:)NY Karen, my husband just had to return two pairs of jeans that he ordered because they were too small. When he called customer service he had a hilarious conversation with the rep when he told her that he finally had to acknowledge that he wasn't 30 years old anymore. He ordered the next size up and I know that after he puts them on, he'll forget what the tag says and just enjoy the comfort.

:)Tere, I'm thinking good thoughts for you on the job interview.

:)Heather, I think about you often as I read "Thinner This Year". You and I have both taken the information to heart without going overboard on a lot of the exercise suggestions. The book has given me encouragement to add a bit to my exercise and to make a few changes in what I eat.

:* The power was off for about two hours last night and came back on just a few minutes before I had to take the dogs out for their middle of the night walk.

<3 Barbie
  • langman22
    langman22 Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    <3<3<3
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Options
    Howdy! :)

Becca: Glad you had a good cry and that your DH was so kind and understanding.

M: Loved the beach photo.

Kay: Love your shower curtain. Also, love your bathroom. It already looks great to me! A darker floor tile will look good. Our house is over 30 yrs old and has had nothing done to the bathrooms. Someday, I would love to update but (like you) would not know where to start.

Lannette: I admire you and others who are so diligently looking after your health.

Quiet day here!

Carol in GA
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Options
    Katla: Enjoy your visits with your son and daughter.

Allie: Good decision taking your son to the hospital. Yes, depression does run in family. I wish my parents had had to depression medications that are available now when I was growing up. I am sure life would have been happier.

Rita: Sorry your DH is worried and grumpy.

NY Karen: A trip to Rome. How fantastic. Great gift from DH.

• pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,552 Member
    Options
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,215 Member
    Options
    Rita - my DH had the hernia surgery and was out the same day. A few days recovery. Then just being careful for a while.

Lanette - DH eats healthily for the most part and LOVES his veg, thank goodness, but he is not so keen on all the lovely grains and beans. He thinks beetroot is the spawn of the devil. :#:p For my p m snack today I had quinoa and beetroot salad. He had Christmas cake.

Did my day 3 week 4 of c25k. All good. Loving it.

Love Heather UK XXXXXX