Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Do diets work?

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member

that's the point - you don't need 5 servings to get the same nutrition - people will throw burgers into their DIET and then trying to understand why they are not making the same losses or gains as the person eating more nutrient dense food - Chicken - Fish - lean cuts of beef - less sugar more vegetables
    like I said I will crash and burn once in a while and indulge but its NOT part of my plan for fitness - its a deviation - and outlier

The losses and gains are created by the amount of calories that one consumes relative to how much energy one is using. Yeah, some calorie-dense foods like burgers can make it more difficult to meet a specific calorie goal (assuming one is trying to reduce calories), but this can be adjusted for by planning other meals around the higher calorie meal or choosing a lower calorie option (not every burger has to have 1,000+ calories). There are lots of successful people here who are meeting their health, weight, and fitness goals and still having foods like burgers (or pizza or pasta or whatever food you want to believe is so inherently harmful).

Choosing to have a burger (or a cookie or a slice of pizza or a glass of wine) isn't "crashing and burning," it's just life. And in the context of a diet that is meeting your nutritional needs (which is what everyone here is recommending), there's nothing harmful about it.

If someone is a volume eater and wants to have larger servings of lower calorie food, that's perfectly understandable. But not everyone is like that. Some people like smaller servings of more calorie-dense food (or, like many, they mix different types of food).

I legitimately don't understand why someone would care about the strategies that people use to meet the goals of meeting nutritional needs/calorie goals, having satiating meals, and enjoying their lives.

Your strategy may not be my strategy. Why is that a problem?

Its not a problem - the OP asked about diet I told her better to be fit ---- a diet(in the context she was using it) is something you eventually go off of and untimely most like fail - fitness is a lifestyle a diet in her context is not a lifestyle its temporary fix to get her to a short term unsustainable goal without lifestyle changes

So what's wrong with a lifestyle where people are meeting their nutritional needs while eating a variety of foods?

I don't think anyone here is advocating for a temporary "diet" or "fix."

One thing that many people have found to be a sustainable way to live their lives, meet their weight goals, and improve their fitness is to continue eating the foods they enjoy, just in portions that meet their calorie goals. Not everyone wants to eliminate calorie-dense foods or center their meal planning on chicken and bell peppers (no problem for those who enjoy it, but this is a smaller portion of the population, I think).

"So what's wrong with a lifestyle where people are meeting their nutritional needs while eating a variety of foods?"

just because I car goes forward doesn't mean its performing the best it could - to each his/her own - i just figure if i am going to put the time and effort in - I might as well get the most out of it

What is your basis for determining that someone who is sometimes having a burger isn't performing as well as they could?
  • DJ_Skywalker
    DJ_Skywalker Posts: 420 Member
    Gimme that Bacon Cheeseburger!!!
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member

that's the point - you don't need 5 servings to get the same nutrition - people will throw burgers into their DIET and then trying to understand why they are not making the same losses or gains as the person eating more nutrient dense food - Chicken - Fish - lean cuts of beef - less sugar more vegetables
    like I said I will crash and burn once in a while and indulge but its NOT part of my plan for fitness - its a deviation - and outlier

The losses and gains are created by the amount of calories that one consumes relative to how much energy one is using. Yeah, some calorie-dense foods like burgers can make it more difficult to meet a specific calorie goal (assuming one is trying to reduce calories), but this can be adjusted for by planning other meals around the higher calorie meal or choosing a lower calorie option (not every burger has to have 1,000+ calories). There are lots of successful people here who are meeting their health, weight, and fitness goals and still having foods like burgers (or pizza or pasta or whatever food you want to believe is so inherently harmful).

Choosing to have a burger (or a cookie or a slice of pizza or a glass of wine) isn't "crashing and burning," it's just life. And in the context of a diet that is meeting your nutritional needs (which is what everyone here is recommending), there's nothing harmful about it.

If someone is a volume eater and wants to have larger servings of lower calorie food, that's perfectly understandable. But not everyone is like that. Some people like smaller servings of more calorie-dense food (or, like many, they mix different types of food).

I legitimately don't understand why someone would care about the strategies that people use to meet the goals of meeting nutritional needs/calorie goals, having satiating meals, and enjoying their lives.

Your strategy may not be my strategy. Why is that a problem?

Its not a problem - the OP asked about diet I told her better to be fit ---- a diet(in the context she was using it) is something you eventually go off of and untimely most like fail - fitness is a lifestyle a diet in her context is not a lifestyle its temporary fix to get her to a short term unsustainable goal without lifestyle changes

So what's wrong with a lifestyle where people are meeting their nutritional needs while eating a variety of foods?

I don't think anyone here is advocating for a temporary "diet" or "fix."

One thing that many people have found to be a sustainable way to live their lives, meet their weight goals, and improve their fitness is to continue eating the foods they enjoy, just in portions that meet their calorie goals. Not everyone wants to eliminate calorie-dense foods or center their meal planning on chicken and bell peppers (no problem for those who enjoy it, but this is a smaller portion of the population, I think).

"So what's wrong with a lifestyle where people are meeting their nutritional needs while eating a variety of foods?"

just because I car goes forward doesn't mean its performing the best it could - to each his/her own - i just figure if i am going to put the time and effort in - I might as well get the most out of it

What is your basis for determining that someone who is sometimes having a burger isn't performing as well as they could?

truth is you body is nothing more than a machine a series of exothermic reactions and enzymatic processes - the better the fuel and the better the performance

Why is a diet that meets your nutritional needs while including foods like bread and cheese and ground beef (the ingredients in a burger) better fuel than a diet that meets your nutritional needs while excluding these foods?

Your "fuel" and "machine" analogies only make sense if you explain how your proposed plan is better fuel. Right now it's a circular argument.

Your body will run better on this fuel because it is better fuel.

Do you have anything to support your assertion that the diet you're proposing is actually "better fuel"?

Quoted for emphasis. This is the still unanswered question we've all been asking.