Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Do diets work?

Replies

• KeithWhiteJr
    KeithWhiteJr Posts: 233 Member
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    RGv2 wrote: »

well according to you I can eat Oreos and Big macs all day and be just fine so why monitor the macros?
    Alright people - you fill yourselves with Cheeseburgers and i will fill my self with chicken breast and salad and we will see which one makes it to the top of the mountain first - my god its not rocket science

You honestly think that this is what posters are saying....honestly?

I would really like an answer to this question, because quite obviously that is not what people have said.
    Oh...I don't know if I'd advocate chicken breast and salad pre-endurance event.....where's the carbs? I usually go for some pasta of some sort before endurance events.

I'd also agree that this is NOT what I'd consider a great pre endurance meal. Add some potatoes or sweet potatoes or pasta, sure!

Also curious what's in this 100 g of sugar burger. Never seen such a thing. Seems inconsistent with the normal ingredients in a burger, but I guess Irishman1970 may have some interesting tastes, dunno.

I stand corrected 50 carbs (most from bun and sauces(sugar) )

Calories (%DV based on daily intake of 2,000 kcal) 1,060 kcal 53%
    Calories from Fat 660 kcal 366.7%
    Kilojoules 4,435 kj
    Pts (by CL, not official Weight Watchers POINTS©; italics if no fiber) 27
    Total Fat (DRI 65 g) 73 g 112.3%
    Saturated Fat (DRI 20 g) 29 g 145%

Protein (DRI 50 g) 46 g 92%

now compare those numbers a healthier alternative - such as chicken breast with lemon and bell peppers

Same amount of protein 200 Calories
    Zero Saturated Fat
    Peppers - 70 calories
    No simple sugars

I can eat FIVE of these servings for 1 burgers and have much better nutrition

Okay, but welcome to the real world where people are eating burgers along with other foods. Nobody is arguing for an all-burger diet.

Why would I *want* five servings of chicken, lemon, and bell pepper? One serving would be fine, but five is ridiculous. If I tried to live on that I'd be bored and probably craving some fat and additional fiber (the bell pepper has some, but I'm assuming not as much as I'd want to get). Or are you arguing for a diet where chicken, lemon, and bell peppers is just one of the many things one eats?

Well, welcome to the type of diet that everyone else is talking about.

that's the point - you don't need 5 servings to get the same nutrition - people will throw burgers into their DIET and then trying to understand why they are not making the same losses or gains as the person eating more nutrient dense food - Chicken - Fish - lean cuts of beef - less sugar more vegetables
    like I said I will crash and burn once in a while and indulge but its NOT part of my plan for fitness - its a deviation - and outlier

Except that many (including myself) ARE getting the losses they want while still eating the burger!

I prefer not to talk about fitness in term of weight loss - 2 woman ----

#1 5'5" 115 pounds
    #2 5'5" 135 pounds

which one is more fit?

What does that have to do with anything?? You said "people will throw burgers into their DIET and then trying to understand why they are not making the same losses or gains as the person eating more nutrient dense food - Chicken - Fish - lean cuts of beef - less sugar more vegetables"

I responded that many are eating the cheeseburgers and seeing losses. I can assure you that at 135 lbs down, I am way more "fit" that i was at almost 300 lbs.

question - would you call yourself fit or fitter than you were?

I would call myself fitter than I was, yet still a work in progress.