Serial Starters

Options

Replies

• Ashrenalls
    Ashrenalls Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your kind words!

I teach middle school, 6/7/8. This is for 6/7 life skills. It was a fun unit. One of the girls was astonished. “Can I keep this?! This is so helpful!” I broke the steps down to 5 year, 3 year, 18 month, 9 month, and 4.5 month goals. That way they could see how their choices now can affect their life 10 years from now. The we made the posters for them to take home and hang up as a reminder of where they are going.

The ones who are taking in seriously are loving it.

I didn’t do one for myself, but I think I will.

Sara, I don’t have BP issues yet, but it runs in my family. I’m on 3 other medications though. Side effects are no joke. I’m on a mild antidepressant (call me crazy pants) and a testosterone blocker (PCOS) and if I forget or take those late, I am in world of blah. I also get dizzy spells. Haven’t figured out if they’re really related, but when I mess with my schedule, it always flairs up. Another genetic gift. I’m also on thyroid meds, which also runs in the family. I’d rather have these issues though, than many others! My family is amazing, medical issues and all. Hah.
  • LanaCabana537
    LanaCabana537 Posts: 3,855 Member
    Options

There are all sorts of blood pressure meds. Some work on water retention, some work on heart rate, some work in other ways. Quite a world of possibilities. Some have side effects that patients adjust to after a few days or weeks, and some side effects are always there I would guess. Sara, if your father tells his doctor about side effects, he may be able to switch to a different sort of med.

I walked a mile this morning, but I've been home since then. I need to eat dinner, so I think I will not be going out again. Even on a Saturday, midtown Manhattan can be ugly: so many people rushing around to their dinners and shows and SO many people smoking cigarettes out on the sidewalks!!! Gah.

Ash - hang in there with the health issues.....you are on your way to a healthier you! Hugs~~

Ladies - I may not be around on Sunday: schlepping out by train to Long Island to visit the gal with the brain cancer. So what's my friend James bringing along? New York Bagels-- So many calories for not a lot of nutrition. I'm planning on making myself eggs and a big glass of milk before we head out. Granola bars, apple, banana, and cheese sticks in bag with me.

Lana
  • Tilliesmommy1
    Tilliesmommy1 Posts: 5,336 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Lana - you are awesome for going to see your friend with brain cancer - and extra points for taking healthy stuff for yourself.

Granola on my shopping list to eat as desert with frozen blueberries/ frozen applesauce and cranberry sauce I made a while back.

Pizza is in toaster oven.

Walking is our best exercise because it can be done anywhere.

Ash 6/7/8 grades are full of enough changes for children. Glad some of them took your assignment seriously.

Dinner is waiting. bbl? we shall see.
  • arniedog74
    arniedog74 Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    Ash- I try to keep a party open all the time... Kathy (hickchic) is actually having a party to earn free/ half off items... it's been open since Jan, but I am waiting for it to qualify... I'm not huge into pushing and selling...I am just trying to earn a little extra money... and, it can all be done online, so I don't have to stress over talking in front of a bunch of people... any support helps, thanks
  • Ashrenalls
    edited March 2018
    Options
    This. Day. Y’all.

I had such a hard time staying on task. I ended up staying at the school until 10PM!
  • arniedog74
    Options
    Ash - long day! Wow! Hope you are able to have a relaxing rest of your weekend
  • Tilliesmommy1
    Options
    SUNDAY

Good morning,

Dog up and fed, grocery list done. Groceries,dish washing, cooking, and dish washing again (fry pans). Chicken/ asparagus teriyaki with brown rice and broccoli quiche on tap for today.

Thank you for the feedback on drug side effects. I was on them for years, I am allergic to so many that fear of trying new meds for blood pressure. Just have to get on the Merry Go Round instead of whining on the sidelines.

Back for more zzz with any luck. BBL.
  • LanaCabana537
    Options

Hey Girls~~

Quick check in......
    I'm a daily weigher, but Sundays are the official day. I'm down to 243.8 today, but I did see 243.0 yesterday, so yay. I felt so hungry last night that I got into the hummus and crackers and some milk, so I was that much over calories into the red....Grrrr.

I am so dreading visiting my friend (living with her sister's family now), mostly because I know that she and her family just have not prepared things for the inevitable (MOLST form, banking, looking into hospice in advance, home care attendants, visiting nurses, etc.) I am not close enough to the family to do more than gently make suggestions. So that's why I'm stressed. Close enough to care a lot, but distant way down on the totem pole to actually take any action.
    Their dear mother passed away years ago, but boy was she a whirlwind "commander in chief". There is no one stepping in to fill that role, that I know of. Thankfully, there is a lawyer or two close to the family, so I think the will is taken care of.
    Thanks for reading.

See you all this evening.

Lana
  • Ashrenalls
    Options
    Oh, Lana! I am praying for you today. That idea hard spot to be in.
  • tlsb2016
    tlsb2016 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    A bright beautiful day here in the DMV (DC/Maryland/Virginia). Chilly but a fabulous day for the Sunday morning walk.

Ash, what a long day at school! I am in awe of teachers - a hard job with little recognition. I often thought teachers should be one of the highest paid professions instead of one of the lowest, given the tremendous impact they have on kids - and therefore, on our country’s future. (And I say this as a taxpayer who doesn’t have kids!).

Lana, good luck today - will be thinking of you. Such a sad and challenging situation, especially when you know so much could be done to help your friend. Death is a hard thing for families to face.

Sara, I can relate to your aversion to medicine. I hate taking pills of any kind (and am highly sensitive to pain meds, so can’t take most of them). Good luck. Today, I am determined to follow your lead and make some meals for the week and freezer. Hopefully my action will match my intention!

I only weigh in once a week, on Sunday mornings. Was thrilled that the scale hadn’t really moved despite a horrific amount of red in this week’s diary. Lana, congrats on the great WI!

Waves to Dawn, Kathryn, Saltine and all who wander by or are lurking.

BBL

Tess
  • Tilliesmommy1
    Options
    Lana - one of the reasons I quit doing social work was the inability to help patient's /families with valuable resources because of 'in-family' fighting. I just looked up MOLST - I had to ask people about DOR ( do not resuscitate) form where I worked and when one woman signed it, she had the staff all flustered..... You can be there for her and please know that is a lot.

Bought readypack fruit/ veg snack packs - on sale please note - too expensive otherwise. I could make them cheaper but also stand to waste food. So one snack a day is fruit/veg snack pack.

Pita bread pizza in oven for lunch - will wash dishes afterwards. Nap and knitting on tap - always knit dont always nap.

Tess- think fried rice for frozen meals - you can always add a meat/egg later. One pot of rice makes 4 1.5 cup meals.....

Citrus Scentsy on today.
  • arniedog74
    Options
    SUNDAY

Good morning,

Dog up and fed, grocery list done. Groceries,dish washing, cooking, and dish washing again (fry pans). Chicken/ asparagus teriyaki with brown rice and broccoli quiche on tap for today.

Thank you for the feedback on drug side effects. I was on them for years, I am allergic to so many that fear of trying new meds for blood pressure. Just have to get on the Merry Go Round instead of whining on the sidelines.

Back for more zzz with any luck. BBL.

That quiche sounds delicious... do you have recipe?
  • arniedog74
    Options
    Lana - I can understand yer stress... some people, you just can't help to get them to do the proper arrangements... so sad, when you know how difficult it will be in the long run... just be there for your friend, that's a huge thing..

Great WI
  • xxghost
    xxghost Posts: 4,697 Member
    Options
    Hi guys!

Hope you don’t mind my stopping in. I’ve been on Weight Watchers for a little over three months, and it’s been really great! But I had my first gain last week. I’m finding it harder to stay motivated between meetings. All of my friends and family who started Weight Watchers with me have since quit, and I have few people to talk to and celebrate with. Connect is amazing for inspiration, but it moves a bit too fast for me to form long-lasting relationships. It would be really cool to camp out here and get to know other WW members. :)

Shelby
    HW: 285.3
    SW: 283
    CW: 262
    GW: 199
  • Ashrenalls
    Options
    Welcome Shelby! I just started hanging out here. It’s a pretty fun place to share. Congrats on your loss! That’s amazing. What does your life look like? I’m a middle school teacher who wants to be around to see my students’ students have students.

Short term, I’m training my cardio system to be ready to hike with my brothers at Zion National Park.

-Ash
  • LanaCabana537
    Options

Hey there Ash - thank you for the prayers. As it turned out, my friend Miss Robin was doing better and feeling a bit stronger. She and James and I had a really good visit with her. James got some bagels and cream cheese from Zabar's, and Robin ate 1 1/2 of them!

As Tess said, the weather today is quite beautiful, so the train ride out and back to see her was cheerful.

Sara - I did not know that you were allergic to some of the meds that you could be on for the BP. There's a lot I just don't know even though I've been around for a few years. ;)
    I surely do understand your trepidation about being on them. I hope that in your case, you can get off of the BP meds eventually, if you have to go on them. So much BP is related to weight, so maybe you can fend them off.

I am not in that position even if I were to become Miss Skinny and have my BP down to or below normal because I have heart arrhythmias, and as it happens, the metoprolol I am on for BP also helps the heart rhythms, if I understood my cardiologist correctly. So oddly, now, that BP med is my friend! I sort of look at it as I do my multivitamin.

Tess-- I am glad for you that the scale was kind even though there was more red than green for you this week. Over all, you are doing gangbusters, so congratulations on all you have accomplished so far!

Oh and Ash - I second everything that Tess has said about all of our nation's teachers--and this is from another person who doesn't have children! So keep up that great work you do! Kids do remember their great teachers all of their life!

Well ladies, although it is Sunday evening, I do believe that I am going to flag down the nearest Cabana Boy and order up a massage and a zero-calorie cocktail and kick back.

Waves to Dawn and Kathryn and Saltine and Missy and big welcomes to anyone who wanders onto our beach......stop by and say hello~~

Lana

243.8 today
    250.0 highest
    185.0 goal
  • LanaCabana537
    edited March 2018
    Options
    xxghost wrote: »
    Hi guys!

Hope you don’t mind my stopping in. I’ve been on Weight Watchers for a little over three months, and it’s been really great! But I had my first gain last week. I’m finding it harder to stay motivated between meetings. All of my friends and family who started Weight Watchers with me have since quit, and I have few people to talk to and celebrate with. Connect is amazing for inspiration, but it moves a bit too fast for me to form long-lasting relationships. It would be really cool to camp out here and get to know other WW members. :)

Shelby
    HW: 285.3
    SW: 283
    CW: 262
    GW: 199

Welcome Shelby!
    I was posting my tome while you were posting your post.....
    Some of us migrated here once Weight Watchers stopped their open message boards.....this thread/Cabana Club is for anyone on any plan at all.

I like Weight Watchers overall, but at this point cannot easily afford it and can't easily get to a meeting, so I am working the MFP plan of counting calories and paying attention to nutrition.

Sorry to hear that all your friends that you joined WW with have quit (the bums!). Harrumph. Unless things have changed, Weight Watchers always welcomed members to attend more than one meeting per week, and there was a time in the past where I found that to be very useful. Attending a second meeting per week was my battery re-charge.

As I was saying to Ash the other day, I personally am a location- and weather-focused nosy person. :o I would love it if you would share what state you live in and tell us a tad more about yourself - and I have pet-envy....
    Do you have any fur babies?

Lana
  • Ashrenalls
    Options
    Lana, I’m so glad to hear you friend was feeling well today. I thought about/prayed for you 2 or 3 times this morning.

Church was great this morning. Sister and I went to Aldi to pick up food for the pigs. I also picked up some veggies for me. I got Brie and crescent rolls and plums. I have 8th grade girls over Tuesday nights, so we’ll have a nice little bougey treat.

I went on a walk and too the dreaded Back Hill up to the school. The weather was overcast and probably 50 ish degrees. I was pretty cool in my long sleeve t-shirt, but once my heart rate was up I felt good.

I could have walked home once I came around down Gym Hill, but I decided to keep going. (I’m listening to a book about various women of faith through history. It’s so good!) So, I turned left at the bottom of Gym Hill and went over to the other side of campus up the 920 Hill. We have lots of hills!! Overall I walked 2.3 miles and MapMyHike says I burned 1000 calories!

Now I’ve got to clean my kitchen and bake cookies for visitors to our school that are here.

Can someone sent over a Cboy with a skinny, no sugar, full flavor, caramel hot chocolate? Thanks. ;)

-Ash
  • Tilliesmommy1
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Good evening,

3 asparagus/chicken teriyaki meals cooling on the stove. Dawn - 4 eggs/ 2 cups of filling and start with almost a cup of milk. Milk/egg mixture varies based on how much "stuff" I put in.

Lana - I as of yet have no BP allergies - but I have 6 medical allergies, so new meds make me cautious. I have too many hereditary potentials so weight loss will help, but I may have to be on them anyway. We shall see.

Shelby- welcome - this board was chosen on this website when WW changed their message board concept. We had a long chat about how we wanted the next board - open board was wanted so anyone down the road could join. If I could afford WW and find a meeting near me, the plan is fabulous - so do it for yourself. So glad this has an edit option - what is the "SW" you posted next to your ##?

I have been playing with the same 5 pounds this past year so my goal is to get my "kitten" off the sofa and walk more. When we type a naughty word the board replaces it with "kitten". You will see that word used from a couple of us.

Forgot to eat my banana today - have thawed applesauce and will eat that with 1/4 granola. So will end the day in fruit. WI tomorrow. :s

Wishing all a good night- oops ash you just posted.
  • Ashrenalls
    Options
    Here’s a visual of my walk today!

ecx2qrj281rx.jpeg

I didn’t know that “kitten” means a bad word. Ha! I love it. Asparagus chicken teriyaki sounds great. Although, I think I like the idea of asparagus more than I actually like it. :-/

I’m having pork chops for dinner. I have an egg plant that needs cooked. I’ll probably do something with it too.

Have a great night. Y’all!

-Ash