Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou:
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,544 Member
    Options
    Katla49 wrote: »
    Wendy: Thanks for the nutrition link. :flowerforyou:

Heather: You seem to have a wonderful relationship with your DDIL. That is so positive for everyone in the family. WTG! :star: The Bee cake is adorable! :heart:

Lanette & Barbie: I rode my teacher's horse for quite a long while before I started riding Arrow. She prefers that I stick with Arrow. This is a private boarding stable and they do not have spare horses or rental horses. I don't want to own a horse because of DH's health issues. Sometimes he has to be the priority and when that is the case a horse would be neglected. :ohwell: I consider myself very lucky and Arrow is teaching me skills a more cooperative horse never would. In the big picture, that a very nice advantage. From a financial perspective this is amazing. I pay only for lessons. I don't have feed bills, vet bills or farrier bills. :noway:

Lisa: Happy Birthday to the youngest grandchild. What a pretty picture! :flowerforyou:

Kim: I am always pleased when you check in. Levi's photo is charming. What a good dog! I am sorry about your abusive brother's cancer diagnosis, but more sorry for the grieving your mom and nephew will endure. (((HUGS)))

Sharon: I love it when you post. I hope the trip to Vancouver turns out to be fun for all of you. :star:

Pip: How long before you retire? Are you and Kirby on similar count down retirement calendars? :flowerforyou:

Several of our group members are getting ready for retirement, or have been retired for a while. DH & I have really enjoyed our retirement although his health issues can restrict some of the things we used to enjoy. The loss of sailing has been tough for me. :cry: DH can no longer go on the boat without getting seasick & it is too much for me to handle on my own. I ride horses now, but would trade that away if DH could still enjoy the boat. The boat was our couple fun. Riding is my individual fun.

Katla in beautiful NW Oregon

"The greatest weapon against stress is our ability to choose one thought over another." - William James

He wants to retire in 3 years I think and wants me to retire when he does. He’s 4tears older. Born in 1955
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    Options
    <3<3<3
  • coastalgosgal
    coastalgosgal Posts: 2,900 Member
    Options
    ⚓⚓⚓⚓⚓
  • langman22
    langman22 Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    ⛄️⛄️
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Lagopus wrote: »
    Quick note again while I relax a bit between grading finals. :/

My problem accessing the thread has disappeared now. Turns out it was caused by (=was thanks to!) my virus protection software. Apparently one of the posts on this thread had some malware in it somewhere, probably either a link or a picture. Now that my #latest link goes straight to another page it's no longer a problem.

We've got a marvelous winter storm here today. Gale force winds and dry snow blowing around everywhere. It's been great for those of us who could stay indoors; not equally great for others. The flight scheduled to leave at 7:50 this morning finally managed to take off at 1:50. I feel sorry for those poor people who had to sit at the airport for six hours. Once they've passed security there's no going back unless the flight is cancelled, which it wasn't. There's only one gate and only one little shop with an extremely limited supply of edibles - hot dogs and a couple kinds of sandwiches. Plus candy of course. :D

Last night, when the weather was still clear, we had spectacular northern lights. Bright green shimmering curtains flapping across the sky. Probably the best I've seen up here, though I've seen considerably better 1000 km south, in northern Norway.

Remember back in September or so, when I was at our island paradise, harvesting potatos and black currants? I'd made so much strawberry and black currant jam that I'd run out of jars and still had a couple kilos of overripe black currants I didn't know what to do with. Somebody (Katla? One of the Karens?) suggested that I make them into crème de cassis. We happened to have a bottle of vodka (a gift from a Polish friend) which we'd never opened because, heck! We don't drink vodka! So I put the berries in a 5-liter flask, poured the vodka over it, then left it and went home to Svalbard.

A couple months later, the next time I was there, I strained off the liquid. But I didn't have anything to put it in, so it went back into the 5-liter flask. (I couldn't bring myself to discard the berries, so I mashed them through a sieve and turned them into a highly alcoholic mush to put on ice cream. Yummo!) Sometime in January, we were going out to the island again for a couple days and I remembered to take along an empty bottle. After checking some recipes online, I boiled up a strong sugar solution to adjust the sweetness of the tincture. But when I tasted it, it was sweet enough already! Fresh, fruity deliciousness with no added sugar. Now I'll know what to do next time I have more black currants than I can handle.

So thanks, whoever you were!
    /Penny at the t07190.gif

Awwwww, you're welcome! Glad it turned out! t0363.gif

Karen in Virginia
  • knjiuv
    knjiuv Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Love spring breaks neither the grands. Have done it many times, our favorite was when we went to Diwneyworld and took them. The kids had never been. It os wonderful to experience Disney through the eyes of a young child. Only thing was that the Tiki House was closed. That was one of my favorite places at Disney. We have gone to Gatlinburgh on Fall break and Myrtle Beach on Sleinf break. This Spring Break we are going to the Ark Encounter. My brother works there and we will get our tickets half price. It will be stressful as my DH has a big problem with taking the Bible as a factual book so recreating the Ark and believing it to be real is a bit of a problem. He has no problem in voicing his opinion as loudly as he feels needed for as many people to hear it. I was really wanting to go see it without him but he wants to go. He may want to go for different reasons than I do but we will go. Anytime he can be within his grands he is happy. We enjoy seeing the young woman Trinity is growing into and Ellienis just a bundle of excuberance and love. I don't know how many people on the Ark she will tell she lov s them.

Well we went to our chees tasting at the Cat Cafe. It was also a meat tasting. One of the meats was salmon that was fresh, not cooked. I just don't like stuff like that, I don't care that it was smked and had a special taste. I want my meat cooked. There as some kid of Italian meat and some salami. I usually love the salami rolls but this had a lot of spice in it. There was a lot of kick. But oh, the cheeses. There was a piec of paper that they were giving out. When I got home, I couldn't find mine. It described where each cheese was from and what the predominant taste was. There was one cheese that had fresh blueberries in it. That one was very good. Most of the cheeses were ok but I would not spen money on them. The piece of paper told where it could be purchased. All of them was local. Then they brought out the desert cheeses. One was a chocolate cheese. I don't know how they made it but I could have just put all of it in my large purse so no one else knew it was there. They also had a lemon bar that had raspberry in the middle and a graham cracker type crust on the bottom but the top was the lemon bar. I couldn't tell it was raspberry at all somi just told myself it was cranberry which I like. I hate raspberry. It was also scrumptious. The regular charge to go in he cat room is $4 per hour but it was free for us. This was at 5 PM and the cats were sluggish since there were several groups through today including a group of boys. So the cats were charged. But if their intention is to have people visit to adopt the cats, they failed. But the cats were nice although none of them would let me pick them up. You could sit and pet them and it was fine. It was interesting that they had a large traveling chest that had a hole in it. It led to a stair case that the cats went downstairs to use the litter box. So the cat room was odor free and cats weren't pooping in front of you if you we're sitting in the cafe eating chicken salads sandwiches. That pretty much is their menu during their regular business hours. Michelle bought me a nice cat bed that hopefully we can get Mozart to use. I know how to use it if he were a new kitten coming to our home. But S an adult, I am clueless. I just know that Melody had long before established her bed on my bed. Mozart hangs out there until I am ready to turn out the light and then he leaves. I don't want him to do that. I want him to feel welcome to stay, just not on the bed.

Love the pet pictures,

Kim, I sure feel for you in the coming months, you have your ouwn feelings yet your Mother will be grieving. It's OK for you to grieve the brother you didn't get to have.

Joyce, Indiana
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    :heart:
  • ryenday
    ryenday Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,865 Member
    Options
    KJLaMore wrote: »
    Machka- I love music of all kinds. About 20 years ago, by oldest brother bought me my first symphonic cd and it was music by Grieg. ABsolutely love it. Listening to the whole thing, I was just stunned in regards to how much of his music was familiar to me through movies, commercials, cartoons, etc. Grieg started a habit of listening to symphonic music through out the day (even during daycare hours) and even my daycare kids will recognize classical pieces used in commercials and movies, etc. They don't always know the composer; but they will always pipe up with a "Hey, I know this song! It's from Miss Kel's house!"

Yes me too ... I have quite eclectic taste in music. :)

Much of that is thanks to my parents who also have a somewhat eclectic taste in music, although I will say that mine is broader than theirs ... and as an amusing aside ... their main musical preferences fall into Classical (in the wider sense of the word) or just about anything from about 1950 to 1970, although they will venture out of that from time to time. Meanwhile I find myself enjoying Classical music, like they do, but I also really like music from about 1920 to 1950. I like the music my grandmother enjoys ... the stuff my parents considered "uncool". :lol: My parents give me really odd looks when I've played something in that date range!! :lol: I also like a lot of the music from the 1950s to now, although not everything, and they expected that, but they didn't expect me to revert back to my grandmother's music.

My parents always have music on, mostly Classical but also other things. I grew up with that. So when I worked in childcare for 2 years, I starting bringing in a bit of a variety of music. When I started they had about 3 cassettes (it was all cassettes back then) of distinctly kids music, and after about 3 weeks of that, I had enough! So I started hunting around for other stuff, and developed a small collection of light hearted, relaxing music ... instrumental, classical, and anything that just sounded nice with good themes. I had no idea what some of them were being exposed to at home, but I figured that when they were with me, they'd get a good variety.

Machka in Oz