10 Mar – 5 km parkrun 27:10
    11 Mar – 10.3 km + 7 cartwheels
    12 Mar – 20 km
    15 Mar – 4 km + 7 km intervals
    16 Mar – 21.6 km
    20 Mar – 8 km
    21 Mar – 10.8 km

Total: 130.5 km

Did 9.1 km this morning, then today my Nike Vomeros arrived, so I ran 1.7 km to test them.

People kept saying they're great for long runs, so they went to the top of my list. After my first try, I love them! So comfy.

31p4lcu7dikf.jpeg
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    kevaasen wrote: »
    Has anyone done the Marine Corps Marathon? I'm still debating a first marathon (and likely only marathon) for this fall. I just realized rush registration and the lottery start tomorrow. Hmm. Should I try?

I hear that is a great marathon. I tried the lottery for Chicago and did not get in and was debating if I did - would I make it my first or second depending on winter training. My vote is - Yes. If you get in it is destiny. If no, then determine if there is an alternative race that might work. For me I wanted a well attended event with lots of support and runners. My first is in May - The Flying Pig Matathon!! I am open for what race I will run in the fall - top current contenders are Milwaukee Lakefront or the Monumental Mile in Indy

I have been told it often sells out in MINUTES. So if you want it, you will need to jump fast.
  • ddmom0811
    ddmom0811 Posts: 1,878 Member
    Options
    @cburke8908 - That's terrible! We used to have teachers doing traffic duty and a teacher was hit by a parent -- this was about 20 years ago. So they stopped having teachers do that! Now we have security guards do it, but they don't start until around 7 and this was a little earlier.

@juliet3455 - I wish they would issue tickets here for that! Because of all the school shootings, and especially the one in Florida, where I am, we now have a policeman on campus. But he's not here for traffic... sadly.

I should be starting week 9 of my strength training but decided to repeat week 8 because I have a 62 mile ride on Sunday and it's not exactly a leisurely thing. It's for Tour De Cure - fundraiser for Diabetes. I thought it would be best to just repeat that week instead of pushing my legs harder. Hoping to get two more runs in before Friday but will have to see.

3/1 - rest day
    3/2 - 5 miles + Strength training - W6-C
    3/3 - 26 miles cycling
    3/4 - 3 miles + strength training -w6-D
    3/5 - 3.5 miles + strength training W7-A
    3/6 - 4.5 miles
    3/7 - strength training W7-B
    3/8 - 4.5 miles + strength training W7-C
    3/9 - REST DAY!
    3/10 - 3.2 miles + strength training W7-D
    3/11 - 51 miles cycling
    3/12 - rest day
    3/13 -10K for the Run for the Deep + Strength training W8-C
    3/14 - Strength training W8-D
    3/15 - 4.5 miles w/tabatas
    3/16 - Strength training W8-A
    3/17 - 34 miles cycling
    3/18 - 47 miles cycling
    3/19 - 4 miles on treadmill + W8-B
    3/20 - 3.5 with tabatas
    3/21 - Strength training W8-D repeating week 8

exercise.png
  • cburke8909
    cburke8909 Posts: 990 Member
    Options
    7 miles at a tempo pace this am. Wanted 7 so I didn't have time to run easier.
    @katharmonic Marine Corp is considered one of the best marathons to run but because of that it's as hard to get in as Boston, New York or Chicago. If you can do. The support during the race is awesome.

exercise.png
  • katharmonic
    katharmonic Posts: 5,720 Member
    Options
    kevaasen wrote: »
    Has anyone done the Marine Corps Marathon? I'm still debating a first marathon (and likely only marathon) for this fall. I just realized rush registration and the lottery start tomorrow. Hmm. Should I try?

I hear that is a great marathon. I tried the lottery for Chicago and did not get in and was debating if I did - would I make it my first or second depending on winter training. My vote is - Yes. If you get in it is destiny. If no, then determine if there is an alternative race that might work. For me I wanted a well attended event with lots of support and runners. My first is in May - The Flying Pig Matathon!! I am open for what race I will run in the fall - top current contenders are Milwaukee Lakefront or the Monumental Mile in Indy

@kevaasen I tried NYC lottery and didn't get in. Wish I had tried Chicago too, but oh well. I will give it a shot with MCM this morning (opens in 23 minutes). I know it's a long shot but why not go for a big exciting marathon if it might be my only one ever.

If not, Indy is probably my next choice. I might look into the Milwaukee Lakefront though, as I have friends there and it would be fun.

Thanks for the feedback also @cburke8909
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    JessicaMcB wrote: »
    zdyb23456 wrote: »
    I ran 13.1 miles running around people the whole race. It was a big race and I lined up in the corral correct for my finish time (9min miles), but not even a mile in I had to dodge around someone walking. Even heading into the finish stretch I was running around people.

On another note I saw a short video of myself running and I look weird running. My upper body doesn’t move much and my stride looks short... which I guess makes sense since my cadence is close to 200. I attribute it to having short legs. My husband thinks it might not be very efficient. Now I’m wondering if I should look into coaching or just be ok with looking weird - haha.

Can you post the video or stills from it? Re: cadence mine is always 190-210 so I can't say I agree with your husband ;) . @MNLittleFinn is it Jurek that keeps his minimum cadence at 200 in race?

Jurek goes for 180 consistently. He switches stride length to keep it the same almost no matter what.
  • kevaasen
    kevaasen Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    OMG I got in right away! I'm registered for the Marine Corps Marathon! OMG OMG OMG.

AWESOME!!
  • katharmonic
    katharmonic Posts: 5,720 Member
    Options
    Regarding running cadence, this was on my facebook feed this morning
    http://www.run4speed.com/running-cadence/
  • Azercord
    Azercord Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    @JessicaMcB I'm eyeballing the T3s as out here we have rocks and sand so the tread looks like it would handle well. When it is raining I stick to the streets (cause flash floods aren't fun) so grip isn't a problem in the wet. The only thing I'm waiting on is to see what I'll be running on in Africa as I have no idea what the terrain around the mine will be like/what I'll be allowed to run on. If all I can do is the treadmill/runway then I just snag something like the enroutes. Thank you for the feedback and promo code.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    @Katharmonic- That's an interesting article. Thanks for sharing. I have been thinking a good bit about this subject lately because of my aforementioned proneness to injury when running at faster speeds. I have a naturally high cadence even at slower speeds, so when I run faster, I think most of my gains in speed come more from an increase in stride length rather than cadence. Although I am not really sure what the typical increase would look like, I feel like there is not a significant increase in my cadence vs. pace compared with what I would expect. For example, my last three runs were:

Easy 6 miles- 8:57 avg.pace, 197 spm avg. cadence
    15K race-7:39 avg. pace, 201 spm avg. cadence
    5K race-7:04 avg pace, 205 spm avg. cadence

To me, that does not seem like a lot of difference in cadence, which might explain why I am more prone to injury from running faster (over-striding). If anyone doesn't mind sharing their data, I would be curious to see how others' changes in cadence vary with speed. At any rate, I am not sure that there is much that I can do at this point to change that. Given most of what I read, I don't think there is a whole lot of room for improving my cadence and I am somewhat limited in stride length by virtue of being a shortie. Maybe I just need to keep working on stretching my legs to keep my muscles more pliable and capable of adsorbing the impact of a longer stride? IDK, any thoughts?