April 2018 Monthly Running Challenge

Replies

• cburke8909
    cburke8909 Posts: 990 Member
    @skippygirlsmom Congratulations to you and Skip.
    10 miles with 6 min intervals at 10k pace.

exercise.png

• fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    @skippygirlsmom That is FANTASTIC!
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    @skippygirlsmom that's AWESOME congrats to you and Skip.
  • katharmonic
    katharmonic Posts: 5,720 Member
    Congratulations to @MobyCarp ! Tremendous job.

Great news @Elise4270 in being cleared to start gradually adding in running minutes! It's been such a long haul and you are handling it well. Stay patient and enjoy your run!

Also great news about Skip's scholarship @skippygirlsmom - congratulations to her and to you.

My legs are sore from yesterday's circuit training. This morning's dog walk was a bit stiff (not as stiff as @garygse wooden legs - hope that's improving!). Going to have to work that out over the next few days. Planning an easy run tonight if all works out.

Stupid flurries in the air again this morning. I thought I thoroughly pouted and stamped my feet and said no more winter?!? What else is required?
  • sarahthes
    sarahthes Posts: 3,252 Member
    There is so much muck outside. White muck.

ttpuse9nzg6j.jpg
    (insert obligatory office window shot)

Decided to wait until after work before running, plus I donated blood last night and would like to wait 24 hours. I was pretty wobbly afterwards for a solid 2 hours, which also happened the last time I donated (18 months ago?) but had never happened previously. I had chalked it up to low carb but I eat carbs now so maybe it's just the way my body works now.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    edited April 2018
    Yeah @Elise4270 great news.

So this happened at our house last night. Skip signed her National Letter of Intent to run XC and T&F at Shorter University. We are so excited and better yet the scholarship was quite a bit more than expected. Proud momma right here.

mqwc246a2gvp.jpg

So happy for you both! Maybe I am just a little over emotional today, but this made me cry! I am so proud of Skip because, you know, I feel like she is all of our little girl here!

Congrats @Elise4270! So happy to hear you are officially "allowed" to lace up those running shoes. Take it slow and easy and enjoy!
  • sarahthes
    @skippygirlsmom Congrats to you and your daughter!
  • AmyOutOfControl
    AmyOutOfControl Posts: 1,425 Member
    edited April 2018
    4/1 = rest day...sort of (moving day)
    4/2 = 9.5 miles
    4/3 = Vinyasa yoga class and 3.5 miles
    4/4 = 3 dreadmill Miles and 20 minutes strength training
    4/5 = travel for work
    4/6 = travel for work
    4/7 = 13 miles (Outlaw 1/2 Race)
    4/8 = rest day
    4/9 = 7 miles and strength training
    4/10 = yoga class
    4/11 = 10 miles
    4/12 = 3.5 miles
    4/13 = 14 miles
    4/14 = running rest day - walked the pups instead
    4/15 = 10 miles Run/Walk intervals with the running group
    4/16 = 3 miles and 30 minutes strength training
    4/17 = 6 miles

@Elise4270 Hooray on getting to run again!
    @skippygirlsmom What wonderful news for you and your daughter. :)

6 miles in my terrible new (non refundable) running shoes. :( I can’t wait to hit up the running store this weekend.

April mileage goal = 125 miles / April miles complete = 82.5 miles
  • fitoverfortymom
    I can't find my mileage log, but I got 3 mi recovery run in this morning. Kind of half on trail and half not. The bike path has an adjacent equestrian path, so I used that where I could. I took the dog for a 2 mile hike last night. Still feeling some IT band tightness and pain, but going to foam roll between meetings today. Tomorrow I'll attempt an easy 4 on trail and try and figure out what the rest of April and May look like for training. We have a vacation in May and I start a new position as soon as I get back, so it's probably a good as time as any to really get a solid cross training/strength training plan in place to accompany the running. The way my leg feels, I definitely need to take that (and recovery) more seriously.
  • fitoverfortymom
    @Elise4270 Congrats on the minute! Let us know how that goes.
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    sarahthes wrote: »
    Decided to wait until after work before running, plus I donated blood last night and would like to wait 24 hours. I was pretty wobbly afterwards for a solid 2 hours, which also happened the last time I donated (18 months ago?) but had never happened previously. I had chalked it up to low carb but I eat carbs now so maybe it's just the way my body works now.

Maybe your iron is a bit low? High enough to donate, but on the low side?
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Congrats to Skip @skippygirlsmom - you must be the proudest parent ever!!!

Am off to Lithuania today for a dance festival so will be missing my runs. I reckon six hours of workshops plus evening parties until 4am will make up for the lack of running.

Fitted in some intervals this morning before heading to the airport.
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Orphia wrote: »
    Orphia wrote: »
    The sisu in this group is just incredible.

I had to Google, and "sisu" is now my word of the year. Thanks.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sisu

"Sisu is a Finnish concept and cultural construct that is described through a combination of various English terms including stoic determination, tenacity of purpose, grit, bravery, resilience,[1][2] and hardiness[3][4] and is held by Finns themselves to express their national character. It is generally considered not to have a literal equivalent in English. Sisu is a grim, gritty, white-knuckle form of courage that is typically presented in situations where success is against the odds. It expresses itself in taking action against the odds and displaying courage and resoluteness in the face of adversity".

I had never heard the word either until I heard a runner say it a year or two ago. It’s just perfect for so much.

How is it pronounced?

Siihhhsooo or Seeesooo? Or something else?

It's a great word.

"Seesoo".

Here's the Finnish, two-time Formula 1 racing champion Mika Häkkinen pronouncing it, and explaining how it relates to his sport:

https://youtu.be/2bmqdnx5R1U?t=4m22s

I like the air vents in my car all facing the same way. is that Finnish?

uhhhhh.... ....NO! :lol:
  • Stoshew71
    Yeah @Elise4270 great news.

So this happened at our house last night. Skip signed her National Letter of Intent to run XC and T&F at Shorter University. We are so excited and better yet the scholarship was quite a bit more than expected. Proud momma right here.

mqwc246a2gvp.jpg

Yaaaaay! Skip!!!!
  • Stoshew71
    Date Miles today - Miles for April

4/1 10 miles - 10
    4/2 REST DAY
    4/3 6.2 miles - 16.2
    4/4 REST DAY
    4/5 4.5 miles - 20.7
    4/6 REST DAY
    4/7 13.1 miles - 33.8
    4/8 REST DAY
    4/9 REST DAY
    4/10 7 miles - 40.8
    4/11 REST DAY
    4/12 7 miles - 47.8
    4/13 REST DAY
    4/14 REST DAY/BAD WEATHER
    4/15 10 miles - 57.8
    4/16 REST DAY
    4/17 8 miles - 65.8

Races this year
    Oak Barrel Half Marathon - 4/7/18 -- 1:47:24

Upcoming races:
    None at the moment

• sarahthes
    sarahthes wrote: »

Maybe your iron is a bit low? High enough to donate, but on the low side?

Could be. My ferritin levels were a bit low last year so I was supplementing iron at my doctor's suggestion most of last year, but my most recent test was better so I'd stopped. Maybe I'll go back on the iron pills. I likely won't donate again until after my last October race anyway so I have time to decide.