Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Why do people deny CICO ?

Options

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,127 Member
    Options
    Aaron_K123 wrote: »
    Whatever it is I assume height is being used with some sort of population average to make assumptions about muscle content. Sort of like Height to weight gives you BMI which makes assumptions about your percent bodyfat based on population averages. I think people understand that, the question for me is more esoteric...does height itself matter at all for CO or is it just a corollary for something else like muscle content?

(P.S. Following is not debate/criticism of your comment - intended as casual follow-on conversation.)

I'd been wondering if this sub-conversation was taking into account the statistical nature of the standard CO estimates. I see that you, at least, were.

I haven't dug into the statistical underpinnings of the calorie estimation formulas at any level of detail (soooo boring! ;) ) but have idly wondered to what extent "average" but suboptimal behavior skews the outcomes for people who are not as average.

That improbable 5'3" jacked 200-pound guy would get poor estimates from calculators, of course, and the reason would involve somehow the undeniable fact that most 5'3" 200-pound men are seriously fat so they drive the stats behind the formula.

So: Assumptions about % bodyfat are an example of this effect, commonness of unnecessary inactivity and muscle loss in older age groups are another. High incidence of repeated extreme but fairly brief yo-yo dieting in some subpopulations . . . I wonder? Etc.

I don't know - maybe someone does - whether the underlying sampling that results in the formulas starts with population-wide basic data then applies adjustments for subpopulations, or what. (I'm not wondering about the nature of the estimation formulas themselves - I'm wondering about logistics of the research underpinnings, how the formula is built up, where factors like this might be an influence. But I don't care enough to do the research. ;) ).
  • AnnPT77
    Options
    cqbkaju wrote: »
    Per Steve Reeves
    Presumes a male somewhere around 8% - 10% body fat

"Ideal muscular body weight for male by height"
    5'5" 160lbs
    5'6" 165lbs
    5'7" 170lbs
    5'8" 175lbs
    5'9" 180lbs
    5'10" 185lbs
    5'11" 190lbs
    6'0" 200lbs
    6'1" 210lbs
    6'2" 220lbs
    6'3" 230lbs
    6'4" 240lbs
    6'5" 250lbs

Measurements:
    Arm size = 252% of Wrist size
    Calf size = 192% of Ankle size
    Neck Size = 79% of Head size
    Chest Size = 148% of Pelvis size
    Waist size = 86% of Pelvis size
    Thigh size = 175% of Knee size

The numbers for the "Grecian Ideal" (based on the Golden Ratio), as well as John McCallum's numbers are all close / similar.

Being too far from these numbers is considered to be not symmetrical and out of proportion.
    But in my experience, the Resting Heart Rate has a greater impact on TDEE than 5 or 10 pounds of extra body fat.
    I haven't seen any calculators that take RHR into account.

Of course there is a big difference between 5 pounds of extra fat vs 50 pounds of extra fat, so YMMV.

https://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/drobson207.htm

That thought (the bolded) is a new idea to me. Can you comment further on why you believe that to be true?

(I'm not arguing or setting you up in any way by asking - I'm truly curious. My TDEE is higher than it "should" be (per most formulas); while I'm not obsessed to know why, it would be interesting to know more. My RHR is lower than typical for my demographic: Fitness-related, not genetic, AFAIK.)
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Whatever it is I assume height is being used with some sort of population average to make assumptions about muscle content. Sort of like Height to weight gives you BMI which makes assumptions about your percent bodyfat based on population averages. I think people understand that, the question for me is more esoteric...does height itself matter at all for CO or is it just a corollary for something else like muscle content?

(P.S. Following is not debate/criticism of your comment - intended as casual follow-on conversation.)

I'd been wondering if this sub-conversation was taking into account the statistical nature of the standard CO estimates. I see that you, at least, were.

I haven't dug into the statistical underpinnings of the calorie estimation formulas at any level of detail (soooo boring! ;) ) but have idly wondered to what extent "average" but suboptimal behavior skews the outcomes for people who are not as average.

That improbable 5'3" jacked 200-pound guy would get poor estimates from calculators, of course, and the reason would involve somehow the undeniable fact that most 5'3" 200-pound men are seriously fat so they drive the stats behind the formula.

So: Assumptions about % bodyfat are an example of this effect, commonness of unnecessary inactivity and muscle loss in older age groups are another. High incidence of repeated extreme but fairly brief yo-yo dieting in some subpopulations . . . I wonder? Etc.

I don't know - maybe someone does - whether the underlying sampling that results in the formulas starts with population-wide basic data then applies adjustments for subpopulations, or what. (I'm not wondering about the nature of the estimation formulas themselves - I'm wondering about logistics of the research underpinnings, how the formula is built up, where factors like this might be an influence. But I don't care enough to do the research. ;) ).

Yeah well to be honest science itself tends to be inferences drawn from statistical analysis of repeated measurements of a population.
  • abbynormal52
    abbynormal52 Posts: 151 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    I like the commercial they have on cable now where a gal says "if you see immediate results, you know you are on the right track". My thought was "for sure, if you've just had liposuction, you'd see immediate" results. People are still buying that stuff or they wouldn't be able to afford the commercials to sell more of their lies.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

My understanding is that the formula is skewed toward people with healthy body fat percentages, so it likely tends to overestimate calorie burn for people with obese levels of body fat. This is why when I started I estimated my body fat and then took a big range on either side and looked at the likely BMR/TDEE under the BF% model (Katch-McArdle) and compared it to MFP's numbers. It's also why I don't get too hung up on the fact that someone obese gets a TDEE of, say, 2200 on a calculator when only 5'3, chances are that person's real TDEE is lower.

Obviously, some people have higher than predicted TDEEs too, even taking body fat into account. This (again! and I know you agree) is why calculators are only a starting point, adjusting is needed, however you cut calories, if results aren't as planned, and having a lower or higher TDEE than a calculator says you should has zero to do with the merits of CICO.
  • mk2fit
    mk2fit Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    So, CICO works, whether short or tall. As I said earlier, height does not matter, CICO does. Sheesh, peeps.
  • abbynormal52
    abbynormal52 Posts: 151 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    Caralarma wrote: »
    So many people just don't grasp the concept of calories in calories out. They tell me that not all calories are equal and that you have to eat healthy to lose weight. I used to argue with these people but lately I just smile and nod. It's worked for me.. I eat basically anything I want and have lost 5 kg. I feel so many more people would be successful at weight loss if they just grasped this simple scientific concept. I'm hoping to reach my ultimate weight and then write a blog list about how I did it and prove all the CICO deniers wrong

I agree it has to do with CICO, but for me, it's also about which nutrients my bod needs, so I work my macros in. You like the way you eat, it works for you. I totally "grasp" what you do, it's just not for me.

Why do you presume these things (CICO and achieving adequate nutrition) are mutually exclusive?

And what specifically is “not for you”? CICO?

Because simply CICO is not enough for me. I need to know what those calories are, what types of calories I need to achieve my goals. I don't deny it is about CICO, never have. I just take it a lot further.

Almost everyone does something other than just count calories, if that's what you mean by CICO. (Obviously, however, CICO does not mean "counting calories.")

This discussion is not actually about whether it's useful to do something other than just counting calories, as I really can't imagine someone not doing ANYTHING else, not caring about how they feel or hunger or whatever. I'm not even sure how JUST doing calorie counting would work in practice? You get up, start eating based on whim, log while doing it, and then stop eating when you hit goal? I can't imagine someone approaching it that way for more than a couple of days, and I wouldn't have tried that for even one, not how my mind works. That's why I find this assumption that if you think about something other than merely # of calories that CICO is not enough for you to be kind of puzzling.

Calories in Calories Out, do I have that right? I hadn't even heard of it as CICO until today. But I think that is what it means. I'd like to see where anyone ever "denied" that it is about calories in calories out first of all. And then, I would just add, if whoever posted "why do people deny" CICO would have had a pretty boring thread if everyone just said "I don't deny it", "I don't deny it".

Oh, and I never mentioned "counting" calories I don't think?? I mentioned nutrition, and types of calories and macros.

What is the OP about? Go ahead and explain it to me?

• AnnPT77
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

My understanding is that the formula is skewed toward people with healthy body fat percentages, so it likely tends to overestimate calorie burn for people with obese levels of body fat. This is why when I started I estimated my body fat and then took a big range on either side and looked at the likely BMR/TDEE under the BF% model (Katch-McArdle) and compared it to MFP's numbers. It's also why I don't get too hung up on the fact that someone obese gets a TDEE of, say, 2200 on a calculator when only 5'3, chances are that person's real TDEE is lower.

Obviously, some people have higher than predicted TDEEs too, even taking body fat into account. This (again! and I know you agree) is why calculators are only a starting point, adjusting is needed, however you cut calories, if results aren't as planned, and having a lower or higher TDEE than a calculator says you should has zero to do with the merits of CICO.

Of course.

What I'm saying, I think, is that it would be interesting to have a better understanding of other things that skew the formula with respect to other differences in the underlying population, the limitations of the model - what the likely sources of variation are, where they enter the model (partly a function of the structure of the model), etc.

Just, y'know, not quite interesting enough to actually invest the effort in figuring it out. ;)

I took my Nth college statistics class during summer semester. It was about something that amounted to estimating the error in the estimated error of the estimates of the characteristics of the population based on the data from the sample - statistics about statistics about statistics about samples of populations. It was summer. The sun was shining. It was lovely outside, as I could see through the big windows in my statistics class. I was maybe 20 years old. I dropped the class. ;)

Apologies for the digression.