Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Why do people deny CICO ?

Options

Replies

• singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    nutmegoreo wrote: »
    sardelsa wrote: »
    I'm going to turn things around and ask for those who aren't fans of CICO .. in particular @PaulChasinDreams who linked all those articles there.
    Instead of weight loss... how about weight gain? How do I do that without increasing calories? Can I just eat 3 protein shakes per day and gain 15 lbs over time? Or just some carbs/sugar/junk and gain? Will that lead to actual gain without being in a surplus? So all those bodybuilders that have to make gainer shakes to reach 6K cals per day, we could spare them by just giving them some carbs? So it only works in one direction then? I am curious if anyone has an answer for me.

I've had versions of this conversation with vegans who claim it is impossible to gain weight while being vegan.

Me: "So what you're saying is that it's not suitable for children or anybody who wants to gain muscle weight?"

Them: "What?"

Me: "Well, if it's impossible to gain weight on a vegan diet, then it would be deadly for children. Children need to gain weight. And bodybuilders and others looking to gain muscle need to gain weight to meet their goals. So you're arguing that eating animal products is mandatory for children and required to meet certain fitness goals?"

Them: " ..."

You are one of my favorite people here :heart:

Aw, thanks!

And you have the best first name (if it is the one in your user name) though you do spell it wrong ;)

It's a whole different name, but my parents picked an unusual spelling . . . so I am spelling it wrong (at least according to popular opinion). I picked "Jane" because I actually love it. It is what I'd name myself if I had the chance.

Well you have the best user name ;)
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »
    I'm going to turn things around and ask for those who aren't fans of CICO .. in particular @PaulChasinDreams who linked all those articles there.
    Instead of weight loss... how about weight gain? How do I do that without increasing calories? Can I just eat 3 protein shakes per day and gain 15 lbs over time? Or just some carbs/sugar/junk and gain? Will that lead to actual gain without being in a surplus? So all those bodybuilders that have to make gainer shakes to reach 6K cals per day, we could spare them by just giving them some carbs? So it only works in one direction then? I am curious if anyone has an answer for me.

I've had versions of this conversation with vegans who claim it is impossible to gain weight while being vegan.

Me: "So what you're saying is that it's not suitable for children or anybody who wants to gain muscle weight?"

Them: "What?"

Me: "Well, if it's impossible to gain weight on a vegan diet, then it would be deadly for children. Children need to gain weight. And bodybuilders and others looking to gain muscle need to gain weight to meet their goals. So you're arguing that eating animal products is mandatory for children and required to meet certain fitness goals?"

Them: " ..."

You are one of my favorite people here :heart:

Aw, thanks!

And you have the best first name (if it is the one in your user name) though you do spell it wrong ;)

It's a whole different name, but my parents picked an unusual spelling . . . so I am spelling it wrong (at least according to popular opinion). I picked "Jane" because I actually love it. It is what I'd name myself if I had the chance.

Really?

I'd name myself Brilliantsexgod if I had the choice.....

Modest and witty. :D
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    @nutmegoreo

You just have to watch your macros closely. Think of gasoline as more analogous to carbs and diesel being more like fat. If you're looking for something meatier, use straight unrefined crude. Yeah, dead batteries are a bit like that cheese that stayed in the drawer too long...
    As far as the Uranium - it tastes a little sweeter than Plutonium, with a hint of mercury.

:laugh: I hadn't considered the macros on it. Great point. Nutrition is important (for health purposes and satiety, not weight loss), just to tie it all back into the theme of the thread.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    @nutmegoreo

You just have to watch your macros closely. Think of gasoline as more analogous to carbs and diesel being more like fat. If you're looking for something meatier, use straight unrefined crude. Yeah, dead batteries are a bit like that cheese that stayed in the drawer too long...
    As far as the Uranium - it tastes a little sweeter than Plutonium, with a hint of mercury.

:laugh: I hadn't considered the macros on it. Great point. Nutrition is important (for health purposes and satiety, not weight loss), just to tie it all back into the theme of the thread.

See, you're confusing the two topics. From a CICO perspective, it's irrelevant if you drink diesel/gasonline/unrefined crude. CICO <> BTU counting.
  • garystrickland357
    garystrickland357 Posts: 598 Member
    Options
    @nutmegoreo

See, you're confusing the two topics. From a CICO perspective, it's irrelevant if you drink diesel/gasonline/unrefined crude. CICO <> BTU counting.

Yep, you got me. Sorry I crossed the line :)