Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

"Natural foods" vs "others"

Options

Replies

• crabbybrianna
    crabbybrianna Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    nettiklive wrote: »
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    When my sister and I were staying in the PNW when my mother was sick I had a bunch of those Safeway soups. Thus, I wondered what these terrifying ingredients were that only people who are unenlightened would eat (we don't have Safeway where I live, but I never realized it was some chamber of horrors).

So here's the first one I found online, Tuscan Tomato and Basil Bisque:

Tomato Puree, Cream, Canola Oil, Sugar, Onions, Butternut Squash. Less than 2% of: Chicken Stock Concentrate, Butter, Salt, Garlic, Modified Cornstarch, Extra Virgin Olive Oil, Enriched Wheat Flour, Cultured Dextrose, Whey Protein Concentrate, Flavoring, Dehydrated Tomatoes, Red Pepper, Basil, Dehydrated Onions, Yeast Extract, Annatto Extract for Color, Spices, Hydrolyzed Soy Protein.

Doesn't actually seem that scary.

They may have changed it since, as others. I was.getting it probably eight or so years ago. I just distinctly remember getting their baked potato soup and the glancing at ingredients and seeing artificial flavor among a long ingredient list, and wondering why on Earth would you need to add artificial flavor to potato soup.

To make it taste better? Here’s a good explanation of the difference between natural and artificial flavours:
    https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/what-is-the-difference-be-2002-07-29/

I remember watching a science video many years ago explaining the difference, and they showed in a lab how they’re each made, and that article sums it up nicely. Just because something has the word “artificial” in front of it does not mean that it’s dangerous poison, or that it’s any different from a natural flavour.

A friend of mine used to date a food scientist who developed new sprinkles and fake blueberries and things. He used to bring home samples that we'd taste test for him. It was always fun.

That sounds amazing. The same video about artificial vs natural flavours also had a segment where they had lots of little vials with clear liquid in them. They were all different flavours, and people were tasting them and trying to guess what flavour it was. It looked like a lot of fun. The people doing the testing were pretty excited, lol!