WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR MAY 2018

Options

Replies

• Poerava14
    Poerava14 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    Meg: Happy Birthday. <3<3<3<3

Lisa: Proud of you!!!

Lenora and Michele: The volcano in Hawaii is on the Big Island of Hawai'i. It is the largest and southernmost of the Hawaiian islands. Our former condo (sold last October) is on the island of O'ahu. The peril for all the islanders now is the toxic haze carried by the tradewinds which is referred to as VOG. I grew up in Los Angeles, so no stranger to bad air quality, but I would say the VOG in Hawaii burned my throat and eyes more than the SMOG in L.A.

My decluttering had been sputtering. But today it got a big boost by virtue of a chance meeting with my neighbor-the-handyman. I have been wanting to get bettering lighting and another outlet installed in our garage. He showed me what he has done inside his. His garage looks like the ones in the magazines. I was really impressed with the painted concrete floor. He explained its specially made for garages. So, we have him coming tomorrow to start the prep and get our painted in a different color. And that gives me the kick in the keester I need to purge a ton of old stuff we've been stashing in our little garage. Decluttering rocks.

I also got a second quote for a full paint job for our 1999 Subaru. Yikes! I love the car, and it's running great, BUT... not that much. I'll have to settle for just taking care of a rusty back panel. My car is one of the last years of the two toned Subies, and two color restorations are more labor inten$ive.

Stay well friends. We can do this.

Rori
    Colorado Foothills
  • evie1958
    evie1958 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    Barbara AHMOD, a sling truck is a large truck that will hold the gravel but then has a treadmill like contraption that will move the gravel from the truck to the yard. It can be used for anything that the truck will hold.
    Evelyn, Vancouver Island
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,367 Member
    Options
    Allison – LOL the mushrooms I’m going to put in the mulch are some of my ceramic “creations”. But I do love mushrooms, too. Congrats on your run.

Vince went shooting with the Newcomers. As leader of the shooting, he felt badly not going because he didn’t go last time since we were helping Jess. So Steve and I went out to Cracker Barrel. I tried some of their biscuit. That was pretty good. But then I tried some of the cornbread. It tasted funky, couldn’t eat it. I didn’t have all of the biscuit but I logged it as a full biscuit since I had about 2 mouthfuls of the cornbread and a mouthful of Steve’s dessert of some sort of apple dumpling. Just tea for me for dessert and only water to drink.

We had our local elections today. I met this gal who remembers me from the Green Room only I don’t remember her (I told you I was bad with names). At the polling place the gal who checked me in was my neighbor. At first I didn’t recognize her since I don’t see a lot of her. I really need to go walking around the neighborhood some.

Meg – happy birthday! What a great birthday present you got – a call from dd#1

Lenora – the Green Room is the local community theater. I volunteer in the box office and also usher sometimes. I think the hula hoop that I have is a leftover from when the kids were little….lol

Mary – have fun in San Diego

Rye – not a gardener? That’s me. I AM quite religious about my plants, tho. “God will take care of it”

Lisa – wow girl! Rori – you did a wonderful job pickingl Lisa

Michele in NC
  • auntiebk
    auntiebk Posts: 2,509 Member
    Options
    only to pg 24, getting sleepy but couldn't not wish you a VERY HAPPY BIRTHDAY, Meg! May this next year be so much better than the last. :heart:

Good night, sleep sweet lovelies!
    something's wrong with my signature, too sleepy to figure it out.
    Barbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie AHMOD.

Tuesday
    Daily: steps+130. meditate, protein, rx, supplements,log/100%
    Weekly: (new week starts Tues)
    Tumble walk 4 times: 0
    AF days 0
    SWSY 2 times: 0
    T'ai Chi 2 times: 0
    line dance 2 times: 1
    Monthly: Hang up or purge the art 0
  • bwcetc
    bwcetc Posts: 2,764 Member
    Options
    Kelly ...Mary typed a post for Terry and I ... I'm reposting. Sorry ladies it's long. Mary ... would you make corrections please if I've done this wrong.

1. Get Swing Timer app on phone or time 1 minute intervals.
    2. Do this routine the first week-

Week 1.

Day 1 & 2- Goblet Squats 3 sets (1 each minute) of 5 squats at whatever weight you want to start with I started with 10 pounds. (This takes 3 minutes)
    Russian Kettlebell Swing 10 sets (1 each minute) of 7 swings at X pounds (This takes 10 minutes)
    Your routine took only 13 minutes and you probably feel like you didn't even workout.

Day 3 & 4- Goblet Squats 3 sets (1 each minute) of 5 squats at X pounds. (This takes 3 minutes)
    Russian Kettlebell Swing 12 sets (1 each minute) of 7 swings at X pounds (This takes 12 minutes)
    Your routine took only 15 minutes.
    Notice you increased only the number of Russian Kettlebell Swings by two sets! If this is too much you decide how many sets you want to add.

Day 5 & 6- Goblet Squats 3 sets (1 each minute) of 5 squats at X pounds. (This takes 3 minutes)
    Russian Kettlebell Swing 14 sets (1 each minute) of 7 swings at X pounds (This takes 12 minutes)
    Your routine took only 17 minutes
    Notice you increased only the number of Russian Kettlebell Swings by two sets! If this is too much you decide how many sets you want to add

Day 7 rest if you want or repeat previous day.
    Keep the weight the same for 4 weeks unless you feel it is way too easy.

Week 2

Day 1 & 2- Goblet Squats 3 sets (1 each minute) of 5 squats at X pounds. (This takes 3 minutes)
    Russian Kettlebell Swing 12 sets (1 each minute) of 7 swings at X pounds (This takes 12 minutes)
    Your routine took only 15 minutes. Notice you did what we call a deload and started the week doing 2 less sets then day 5 & 6. This is the pattern for the next 3 weeks. 4 total weeks.

Day 3 & 4- Goblet Squats 3 sets (1 each minute) of 5 squats at X pounds. (This takes 3 minutes)
    Russian Kettlebell Swing 14 sets (1 each minute) of 7 swings at X pounds (This takes 14 minutes)
    Your routine took only 17 minutes.

Day 5 & 6- Goblet Squats 3 sets (1 each minute) of 5 squats at X pounds. (This takes 3 minutes)
    Russian Kettlebell Swing 16 sets (1 each minute) of 7 swings at X pounds (This takes 16 minutes)
    Your routine took only 19 minutes.

Day 7 rest if you want or repeat previous day.

Beth- no, when I say repeat the pattern I mean repeat the weekly ordered for the other weeks… which is the very first swing on the first day is not what you did for days five and six but what you did for days three and four and then you add swings to that every two days. Do the first two weeks and if you get confused text me. Reread it and see if you can write out the next two weeks. You will eventually get up to The three sets of the goblet squats the amount of squats never changes and 22 sets of the Russian kettle bell swings.

Notice you did what we call a deload and started the week doing 2 less sets then day 5 & 6. This is the pattern for the next 3 weeks. 4 total weeks. 

Now see if you can repeat the pattern for the remainder of the Week program.

Beth near Buffalo

• csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    Options
    Good morning!
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,286 Member
    Options
    Hi Geri,
    I remember you. <3 So sorry you have had a bit of depression. And caring for your husband during convalescence must be wearisome. Once you start taking charge of your health the depression may lift.

Quiet day today. Bit frustrating because I am trying to organise visits to/with friends and nothing is working out. Busy time of year for everyone.
    Really I am trying to put off sorting out my writing papers. :embarassed: They are still clogging up my study bedroom. Boxes and boxes of them. :# Need to make a start. :|

Much love, Heather UK xxxxxxx
  • auntiebk
    auntiebk Posts: 2,509 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    Anyone have any experience with buying/installing game cameras?

Lenora thanks for the hula hoop HowTo!
    Katla too bad about the cutie tiller but hooray for the Kitchen Aid! It would be very hard for me to "love thy neighbor" ;)
    Felicia "its not just about the scale" so true in so many ways. Hope you feel better soon.
    Terry BRAVA for "day 2 of tracking and staying within" Bet that feels great!
    Beth con VERY gratulations on the fat loss and on YS joining your healthy eating and exercise plan.
    Wendy wish I could be one of your students!
    Rebecca Wowser on adding those beads! Your lunch is so attractive I could almost overlook that it contains fish :mrgreen: Love your communal path.
    Kay as a native Californian, I've always said "Or-uh-gun"... haven't changed now that I'm an Ore-uh-gohn-ee-yun. My Mama's family and I always said ahl-monds, but my papa's family in St. Louis say AH-munds (rhymes with Cat funds). 3 sets of 6 different upper body exercises? WoW!
    Barbie I smiled soon as I saw the pic of big brown mound. :)
    Rori, if you REALLY love your car, you might reconsider spending the $. I really loved my Freelander, but when the transmission went out and they wanted $4K for a re-manufactured one I said no and let it go to my BIL for $300. Bought a new Ford Escape because of the hands free hatchback opening thing. Not happy. I'm not quite 5' tall so loading/unloading groceries I had to get real close to the back and ended up triggering the auto close option so the $#@(*U thing kept bonking me on the head. Finally had the dealer disable it. So now I'm making payments on a car I do not love. I'd have been better off spending the $4 even if I had to do it 8 more times to have a car I loved.
    Thanks Evelyn, have never seen a sling truck but you explaned it quite clearly.
    Rye mosquito magnet :( amen sister. Flying demons. One species I'd wish extinction upon.
    Michele you're "God will take care of it" approach to plants made me choke on my tea!

Welcome back Geri! Good to hear from you again.

Time to shower, grab a protein bar and dash to T'ai Chi. Will have to meditate later ;}

Enjoy the day, lovelies!
    f8qt1s098sxm.gif
    Barbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie AHMOD.
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,143 Member
    Options
    Barbara - we had two game cameras set up in our woods. Unless you're talking video games? We place them in an area where we baited the deer with corn prior to deer season. It was very fun to watch the different animals that visited.

• cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,286 Member
    Options
    Over here standard pronunciation is aahmunds. No L. :D

Love Heather, feeling antsy in the UK xxxxxxx
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,614 Member
    Options
  • evie1958
    evie1958 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    Morning, afternoon, evening ladies. Weigh in day today, up .2 of a pound, which is kind of frustrating since when I stepped on the scale yesterday I was down .4, but...... Dinner was a bit salty last night, but I thought I drank enough water to overcome that. Certainly made enough trips to the bathroom...... Oh well. It is what it is and I shall carry on. Have been doing well the last few days with not grazing my way through the kitchen in the evenings. That really is my downfall. Going to skip the gym today, but will be cleaning the house from top to bottom, so that should burn a few calories, up and down the stairs and crawling around on my belly (like a reptile!) to make sure the beds are well vacuumed under etc. The wedding is in a few weeks (yikes!) and our younger son will definitely be here, so I need to find some flat surfaces in our spare room (the bed for instance!) to make it work for him. Will also give the bathroom down there a good clean. May even do some touch up on the paint. The bathroom was unfinished when we moved in (our choice, the builder wanted WAY too much money to do it, we did it for about 20% of what he wanted to charge us! and that includes what it cost us to fly our son, the apprentice plumber, out to do it!). Anyway, when hubby was putting in some finishing touches (baseboards etc), the paint got a little scuffed and I think the baseboards need painting too. I don't spend a lot of time down there, so not quite sure just what needs doing! lol But I will find out today!
    Meg, Happy Birthday! What a nice surprise from your family!
    Heather, so glad your boys are reacting in a positive way to your revelations. And major congrats to you and your son on the AF lifestyle. Alcohol really is a tough addiction to get a handle on, seems like its everywhere! Although, I don't know how it is for you folks "across the pond", but here in Canada the laws have changed and society also seems to be changing so that the four martini lunch isn't so socially acceptable. This is a good thing, but probably a lot more still needs to be done. I very rarely drink, don't want to waste calories on booze, would rather have a cookie or two! lol Hmmmm, I guess sugar and chocolate are my addictions.... sigh.
    Katla, thanks for explaining that your name is a combo of first and last, I did wonder if it was a "given" name as I had never heard it before. Not that that means it wouldn't be a perfectly good given name, just that it would be an unusual one. Older son went to school with a "Spring" and an "Emerald"....
    My fitbit: I try to make sure that I charge it overnight so that I don't "lose" any steps! lol
    Wendy, the look on your riding students face really does say it all!
    On houseplants: my mom always had trouble with African violets, mine seem to thrive on neglect. That is something any plant that comes into this house does seem to need to do, I don't always pay enough attention to them, but sometimes I think maybe mom gave hers too much attention, especially in the form of water and they may have been overwatered. Not an issue in this house anymore! I did kill a jade plant many years ago, I think I overwatered. I only had one child at the time and we lived in a small basement suite. It was big enough at the time, but it didn't take me as long to clean so the plants got more attention. I used to water once a week, whether they needed it or not, now I'm more like "Eeps! You're drooping! You need a drink!!" LOL
    Okay, enough of the novel! Welcome to the newbies, hugs to those who need them (special hugs for Machka and hubby!), and congrats to those celebrating!
    Evelyn, Vancouver Island who needs to get away from the computer and on with the day!
  • ryenday
    ryenday Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    KJ The only houseplant that ever tempted me to want is the poinsettia. But they are very poisonous to cats so that is a no no. I have thought of getting them in the holiday season for the front house entryway outside, but worry about the stray cats too! lol I Would like to be able to raise my own herbs, tho.

Mary Your photos do not indicate that you Need any recomp. You must be a perfectionist!

Katla I,also, dislike your neighbor. Lol, a whole bunch of women she doesn’t know exist dislike her. That can’t be good for her Karma.

Barbara I second your motion for mosquito extinction! I’m not sure what you mean by ‘game camera’ but now I’m curious!

Michelle Ceramic mushrooms are truly the only type I like! (I’m hoping we get to see some more of your ceramics - especially in situ- soon) I don’t exactly mind mushrooms but my rule for home cooking is to never use any ingredients I don’t like.

I only use calories on things I like, or necessary social eating.

The list of foods that I dislike is not small but is manageable (primarily fish, seafood and bitter vegetables). Oh, and I’m allergic to eggs. The list of foods, like mushrooms, that I don’t really like is very long and includes many peoples favorites like bread, donuts, deserts containing hot fruit, pasta, rice, creamy sauces or soups (Alfredo or cream of anything soup for instance) etc. if I NEVER ate off my don’t like much list it would be impossible to socialize if food were involved. Luckily as an introvert I don’t do much socializing anyway!

Rye