WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR MAY 2018

Options

Replies

• klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Options
    penny mmmmm, that bread looks delicious :):)

NYKAREN
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,342 Member
    Options
    Happy Mother's Day to all of you who mother kids, grandkids, furkids, spousekids, etc. <3

Barbara AHMOD - Joe's thoughts on fire prevention had me thinking a lot yesterday. I think you handled it well - having your place "Fire-Wise" sounds like work but what are the alternatives? My DH has had similar stubborn reactions on things and I dig out the virtual iron skillet, lol. Seriously, anymore I just side with him and say OK, then what's Plan B if such and such happens? He'll often mull that over and come to his own conclusion that my Plan A (now HIS Plan A) is the best solution. Hope you've been able to have some meaningful conversations about it. B)

Barbie - have you ever added up how many steps you take in an entire year? How many trips to the moon and back or around the world? I think you are a record setter!

Rebecca - I can definitely see your mom in your boys. You have great photos of her. I would love to have my mom back for a day.... do we ever get over the urge to "call mom" and let her know about this or that?

Penny - that bread looks delicious!!! Do you always have sourdough starter bubbling along at your house? The permafrost lump sounds yummy.

Dana - hope your sweet Dolly is on the mend.

We got a notice from our vet's office that "canine influenza" is going around here on the west coast. Geeze!! Now yet another vaccination for our pups? Other than the groomer's and the vet's ours don't really come into contact with other dogs very much. I'm going to hold off on panicking and running our 2 over for shots until I find out more about it.

Have a wonderful day!!

Lanette
    Sunny and warm SW WA State
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,212 Member
    Options
    Penny - Loving the permafrost lump. Sounds a bit like sous vide. When I cook steak I always give it a while in a very low oven before I flash fry it. It has transformed our steaks! :D

I couldn't finish the elliptical this morning, but made up the calories on the recumbent bike. I will try for a short brisk walk this pm. I feel much perked in myself, but my legs don't know that yet. ;)

Just done a big supermarket order for Tuesday. I kept forgetting stuff, so I've been back in three times! There are things I love that you can't get elsewhere. They do a local buffalo mozzarella that is heavenly. Amazing grilled artichokes and the best sun dried tomatoes. Plus dark chocolate with whole hazelnuts.
    Tonight is roast chicken with roasted parsnips, fennel, carrots, onions and potatoes for DH. With broccoli.
    Having it with my AF white wine. :D

Going out for my walk now.

Heather UK xxxxxxx

• 1948Peachy
    1948Peachy Posts: 1,511 Member
    Options
    yh6fl7z04f1k.jpg
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,880 Member
    Options
    Lagopus wrote: »
    Hubby arrives home from Nepal in a couple hours and we have invited his traveling companions over for dinner tonight. (This would be our friends the pastor and the editor of the local paper.) I'm serving a modern Swedish classic with an unappetizing name: permafrost lump.

Every self-respecting Swedish family that lives in a rural area north of Stockholm lays up a store of moose meat in the fall. This recipe uses a cut everyone saves for a special occasion, the same one you would use for roast beef. (I'm using moose, but it works equally well on beef and venison.)
    • To make a permafrost lump, you take the meat straight from the freezer and put it in the oven at 165°F (75°C), sticking in a meat thermometer as soon as the roast has thawed enough. Once that's done you can forget about it.

So ... what you're saying is that the meat is raw?

First time I was in France, I went to a celebration dinner where they served roast beef or salmon. I'm not fond of fish, so my first instinct was to go with the roast beef ... and then I remembered where I was and quickly ordered the salmon. The salmon was lovely ... the beef was still moo-ing when they served it up on the plate.

I need my meat cooked entirely all the way through without even the faintest hint of pink anywhere. Probably why I tend to go vegetarian when I eat out. :)

Machka in Oz

• csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    Options
    1060742v3twkyerbg.gif
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,880 Member
    Options
    The past couple weeks. Mostly walking back and forth and back and forth to the hospital. Every day. And 2 flights of stairs up to his ward. Sometimes I go twice a day and then up to work as well. Those are the 6 flight days.

Tuesday, 1 May 2018 ... 3 km walking + 6 flights of stairs
    Wednesday, 2 May 2018 ... 5 km walking + 6 flights of stairs
    Thursday, 3 May 2018 ... 1.8 km walking + 6 flights of stairs
    Friday, 4 May 2018 ... 1.8 km walking + 12 flights of stairs
    Saturday, 5 May 2018 .. 5.92 walking and running
    Sunday, 6 May 2018 ... 3.26 walking and running
    Monday, 7 May 2018 ... 6.6 walking + 6 flights of stairs

Tuesday, 8 May 2018 ... 1.80 km walking + 6 flights of stairs
    Wednesday, 9 May 2018 ... 5 km walking + 6 flights of stairs
    Thursday, 10 May 2018 ... 1.80 km walking + 6 flights of stairs
    Friday, 11 May 2018 ... 1.20 km walking + 2 flights of stairs
    Saturday, 12 May 2018 ... 1.80 km walking + 2 flights of stairs
    Sunday, 13 May 2018 ... 4.38 km walking and running + 2 flights of stairs

2017 Monthly May
    Walking Distance (km): 43.4
    Walking Time (min): 542.0
    Cycling Distance (km): 0.0
    Cycling Time (min): 0.0
    Stairs Climbed Number: 60.0
    Stairs Climbed Time (min): 48.0

Totals
    Total Distance (km): 43.4
    Total Distance (miles): 26.9
    Total Time (min): 590.0
    Total Time (hr): 9:50:00

But despite the fact that I've got 0 km of cycling so far this month, I have purchased the stuff I need to set up Zwift. I'll do that as soon as I get a chance.

I don't know when that will be. I've got more things to do than I know how to handle.

M in Oz
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,212 Member
    Options
    Did my walk. 46 mins. My legs ached and I was a tiny bit breathless, but I felt better as I went on. :D

I just love rare beef. One of my favourite starters is Carpaccio, which is thinly sliced raw fillet, and I often have Steak Tartare (raw finely chopped fillet) if I'm in a good restaurant. I like my steak really rare, but warm and tender. I do it beautifully, but in England it's generally not wise to order steak in a restaurant, unless it's a very good one. Either it's overdone and tough, or it's cold in the middle and bleeding because it's not been hung long enough nor warmed through first. (Sorry to offend any vegetarians)
    I usually eat fish or seafood in a British restaurant, occasionally game birds. They usually overcook those though.

DH watching the last day of the football season upstairs.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxx
  • 1948Peachy
    1948Peachy Posts: 1,511 Member
    Options
    Penny ~ Happy Birthday!
  • ryenday
    ryenday Posts: 1,540 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    Heather wrote:
    Tonight is roast chicken with roasted parsnips, fennel, carrots, onions and potatoes for DH. With broccoli. :D

That sounds scrumptious! Everything listed there (including both the potatoes and broccoli) are on my favourite things list!
  • kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,848 Member
    Options
    B)
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,550 Member
    Options
    au3qhz8iquc3.jpg

happy moms day to all u muthas out there from the kids and us
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,053 Member
    Options
    Penny Happy Birthday! :flowerforyou:
  • bwcetc
    bwcetc Posts: 2,752 Member
    Options
    Happy Birthday Penny!

Happy Mother's Day!
  • DebCountsAll
    DebCountsAll Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    Lagopus wrote: »
    Hubby arrives home from Nepal in a couple hours and we have invited his traveling companions over for dinner tonight. (This would be our friends the pastor and the editor of the local paper.) I'm serving a modern Swedish classic with an unappetizing name: permafrost lump.

Every self-respecting Swedish family that lives in a rural area north of Stockholm lays up a store of moose meat in the fall. This recipe uses a cut everyone saves for a special occasion, the same one you would use for roast beef. (I'm using moose, but it works equally well on beef and venison.)
    • To make a permafrost lump, you take the meat straight from the freezer and put it in the oven at 165°F (75°C), sticking in a meat thermometer as soon as the roast has thawed enough. Once that's done you can forget about it.

So ... what you're saying is that the meat is raw?

No, it is low and slow, like BBQ. The internal temperature she gave is for medium (pink center) and if you want well done, you'd go to 170 F/77 C. This will take about eight hours or so.

• DebCountsAll
    DebCountsAll Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    langman22 wrote: »
    Happy Mother’s Day!

DD and I did a craft together today and I think it turned out pretty good for my first one. I’m going to make another one for my cousin’s wife. She has cancer and just finished her last class for her Masters.

I love this! Where did you get the door and window?