Myth or not a myth?

Replies

• DmaMfz
    DmaMfz Posts: 125 Member
    edited May 2018
    kimny72 wrote: »
    catzzm9768 wrote: »
    Hello!:), im starting my weight loss journey, just need help and guidance really, soo ive been googling soo much lately on what i can eat, and i came across you can eat whatever you like but dont go over your daily calorie, my calorie daily to loose weight is 1,200 so can i still eat fries, chocolate , pizza as long as i dont go over 1,200? Will i still loose weight? im not very active i will walk sometimes, plus i dont like healthy foods such as salads i hate them so id find it very hard.
    I will track my food on here before eating them.

Thank you!

Yes, OP you can eat whatever you want, as long as the portion you need to stick to in order to fit your calorie goal satisfies you. As others have said, you may have to make some hard choices if some of those foods don't work in appropriate portions. If you run into problems and need help figuring out how to make those decisions, please feel free to come back and ask more questions!

I would also suggest you give a little thought to your weekly weight loss goal. 1.5 or 2 lbs per week is only appropriate to obese people with a lot to lose. It's possible you got such a low goal because you are looking for an aggressive rate of loss.

As for the derail this thread has started down, I see no reason to assume someone who has found MFP and made a wise decision to play with the numbers and log food and exercise can't figure out through trial and error which foods/portion sizes will work for them and which won't. Suggesting telling someone they can eat whatever they want means they will assume they can eat unlimited amounts is really insulting to people. Once you start accurately logging, it's kind of impossible to miss if your preferred size of your favorite food takes up all your calories :neutral:

You always say what I think.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited May 2018
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    nooshi713 wrote: »
    If someone has some magic way of fitting 600 CALORIES OF Haagen Daaz into a1400 calorie budget where I can still be full let me know. It is not possible. :)

1. Halo top or the whole slew of competitors that use various combinations of fiber and polyalcohols and higher protein content to create a pint-ish of ice cream-like in the 320 to 400 Cal range.

2. Frozen banana + frozen lower calorie fruits such as blueberries, strawberries, or peaches and blended with various combinations of 0% or 2% yogurt/greek yogurt, milk, milk substitutes, with or without protein powder, with or without ice.

You're welcome.

Another option would be: save 85 calories a day (or create it with more activity, which is surprisingly easy if you introduce small NEAT stuff) and have 600 calories of Haagen Daaz once a week.
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Even though I stayed under my calorie goal my weight would barely budge or go down. Once I started counting my carbs and ignoring calories, i was eating more than I was before and higher calories, but my weight finally started to drop.

If you weren't counting calories how do you know you were eating more calories than before?

I would suggest that you may have felt you were eating more, because you were hungry less; but in reality you were creating a calorie deficit.

CICO.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    amyepdx wrote: »
    NovusDies wrote: »
    I am not doing any worst case scenario. I have said many things that are true. Many people struggle with hunger, with portion control, and fitting foods they like in their calorie budget. All truths.

Those things are true but they have nothing to do with making a statement misleading or not.

I was accused of being unrealistic. Many people can't make their favorite foods a frequent part of their calorie budget in a portion that is satisfying. That is reality for some people. I'm just being scapegoated here and attacked for no reason. I see now why some people join MFP but never post. Adios.

My last word I promise. If you want to lose weight AND maintain a certain lower weight, you will have to change your idea of satisfying. It’s not tragic - just a simple fact. As they say, choose your hard.

And the amazing thing is that over a year or two of discipline, it will change.

I'm 2 years in, and down from 265. Currently around 235. I've been as low as 227. I've been chipping away at getting into maintenance in the 220 range for about the last year. I'm not in a huge hurry to get there, 3 years ago, I could have polished off a large double cheese extra meat feast pizza with no problem, and still wanted more--not hungry, just wanting more. This spring, On a change of pace day(not cheating) I had 3 slices of pep and was way past satisfied. Not only that, but the 3 slices was actually FEWER calories than my normal dinner. So I hit my calories. It blew me away.
  • nbctech
    nbctech Posts: 1 Member
    Nice to see a community here with so much good advice. I'm no expert or role model, but my understanding is that as you begin your process, you should focus more on calorie density in foods. That is, foods that are high in calorie density will generally satiate you less than foods that are low in calorie density. Calorie density means literally how many calories a food has per gram. The theory is that with a low calorie density food like say, an apple, you should be able to feel more "full" than with a high calorie density food, like a steak. So 100grams of apple will carry fewer calories than 100 grams of steak, but should make you feel just as "full."
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    It’s true! But it’s hard to maintain 1200 calories when your diet is all pizza and chocolate and fries lol
  • DmaMfz
    DmaMfz Posts: 125 Member
    nbctech wrote: »
    Nice to see a community here with so much good advice. I'm no expert or role model, but my understanding is that as you begin your process, you should focus more on calorie density in foods. That is, foods that are high in calorie density will generally satiate you less than foods that are low in calorie density. Calorie density means literally how many calories a food has per gram. The theory is that with a low calorie density food like say, an apple, you should be able to feel more "full" than with a high calorie density food, like a steak. So 100grams of apple will carry fewer calories than 100 grams of steak, but should make you feel just as "full."

You should find food that fits your lifestyle and that satiates you personally. It’s an individual thing. Giving advice like, you should eat this not that, is what makes people inconsistent. It takes a lifestyle change for results that last. Not swapping steak for apples, not even a little bit.
  • HeyJudii
    HeyJudii Posts: 264 Member
    As others have posted, you are going to have to experiment, to find what works for you.

For me, starchy carbs just leave me wanting more, more, more. (I was tested and found out I have some food allergies and sensitivities, so there is the way my body is processing or attempting to process certain foods to consider.)

Lean proteins and vegetables (I like and can tolerate) can leave me feeling satiated for hours. Combinations of whole grains and lean proteins can do the same "magic". But, I have had years to figure all of this out. Learning to limit my intake of high calorie(s), but tiny portions of certain foods I love is something I have learned to do and accept.

Mostly I don't eat them, even though I love them, because I am not getting "the bang for my buck" so to speak. I do occasionally though. I just have to cut back on other things and, "Now I can't have fresh mozz, tomatoes, basil and olive oil drizzle because I already ate cheesecake! Better luck next time!" (Inner monologue.)

Eat what you like.
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    jjpptt2 wrote: »
    As long as 1200 cals puts you in a calorie deficit, then yes you'll lose weight.

However, it can be hard to sustain the type of diet you mentioned (fries, chocolate, pizza) because the quantity of food will end up being pretty small/low. Also, consider overall health/nutrition...

This. A single slice of large deluxe pizza can be as high as 480 calories. Imagine eating nothing but two slices of pizza all day and maybe a small salad. However, switching to more lean meats, lower calorie prepared versions of vegetables, and another side, and you can make a couple decent meals, and even add in some breakfast for 1200 calories. It's not that you can't eat specific foods, it's that you have to balance the calories of the food you're eating with your need for food.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    edited May 2018
    kimny72 wrote: »
    amyepdx wrote: »
    cqbkaju wrote: »
    NovusDies wrote: »
    I can't speak for the others but I assume there is quite a bit more to the OP's normal diet than fries, chocolate, pizza, or even "junk" food when I said she could eat whatever she wants.

I think I understand your point of view, but from my perspective fries, chocolate, pizza = junk food

Encouraging the behavior of "eat whatever she wants" may just reinforce making bad food choices.

Learning to eat junk in moderation, say once a week, is a key to success.
    Learning to appreciate more healthy choices that you are not accustomed to -like salads- is also key.

Just my thoughts.

Assuming one is meeting one's nutritional needs, why does the frequency of pizza eating matter?

Assuming one is not meeting one's nutritional needs, eating salad daily isn't going to be a magic cure.

I think the overall context of the OP's diet is what is key here, not specific foods she may or may not be eating.

She will lose weight eating anything she likes as long as she is in a calorie deficit. Whether she is in a deficit or not, it's wise to eat in a way that leads to nutritional needs being met. But if she wasn't choosing to do that before, I'm not sure what the benefit is of a hyperfocus on it now.

Will OP be better off if she decides not to lose weight and continues eating as she is now? If OP is overweight, losing weight is still likely to be a net benefit to her health.

(This is assuming she has excess weight and isn't just losing vanity pounds).

Foods like pizza dont fit into MY calorie budget every day. They just don't. In order for me to eat pizza I have to sacrifice an entire meal and only eat 2 meals in a day. I can only eat foods like pizza, ice cream, and other calorie dense foods on days when I have woken up late and gone to bed early, and can be satisfied with only 2 meals. Many people on a calorie budget cant eat whatever they want every day. I have managed to budget small amounts of my favorite foods into my budget twice a week or so by exercising a lot on those particular days. Even then, I am limiting myself a lot. I'm definitely not eating whatever I want because my calorie budget doesnt allow it.

One slice of Papa John's pepperoni pizza on thin crust is 255 calories. That would fit into lunch or dinner for just about any calorie goal. Now that may not be the pizza you prefer and it may not be the quantity that you want, but I guarantee you that if OP wanted it, eating pizza daily would be something she could do and still have three meals a day. Would she possibly need to experiment to ensure she felt full and satisfied? Yes -- but then most of us have had to do that, it's part of being successful and counting calories. Would she eventually decide to have pizza less often because it required compromises she didn't feel like making all the time? Possibly. Again, that's something that has happened to some of us.

I think the disconnect is between people saying "Yes, you can have foods like pizza regularly and still lose weight" and others hearing "Yes, you can eat as much pizza as you want and still lose weight." Nobody is saying that you can eat as much of any food you want and still lose weight.

the phrase " whatever you want" suggests no limits. I asked several different people what they thought of that term since I have seen it thrown around a lot and that seems to be what people think. Most people won't be satisfied with one piece of pizza. I know I'm not. One piece of thin crust pizza is not " whatever I want". For me it is 2 or 3 slices of regular crust. I'm trying to be realistic here. For the average person eating "whatever" is why they are overweight in the first place and those types of comments are not helpful. As a relatively new person to these forums I'm saying that and I'm sure others may agree. Why do you think many people express surprise? Eating whatever they want doesnt work..

Since you said you’re new at this - let me throw out this perspective. Choosing thick crust pizza is what I did when I weighed 267 lbs. now I weigh 170 on the way to 150. My pizza of choice is either a slice of thick crust, 1/2 a thin crust pie or a lean cuisine 410 cal pizza. Since that is what I will continue to need to choose to maintain my weight, that falls into “what I want”. It’s not a sacrifice or a punishment, it’s my new normal. Not going all or nothing with food choices is the key to loss and maintence.

Let me clarify, I'm NOT new to calorie counting. I have been keeping food journals since I was 18 years old. I'm 35 now. I am pretty knowlegable when it comes to food and nutrition. I am new to these message boards. I'm not suggesting that people go all or nothing. I'm saying that the phrase " whatever you want" is misleading, especially to people who dont have knowledge about food and calories. I have had to accept the reality that I can't eat whatever I want. That is a reality for me. It may not be your reality but it is for some people.

To the bolded, they will learn just like you did no doubt, by logging food and learning from their mistakes.

OP asked if she can eat whatever she wants as long as she sticks to her calories. She has literally told us she understands there is a limit.

You can repeat it as much as you want, but "You can eat whatever you want as long as you hit your calorie goal" does NOT in any way equal "You can eat whatever you want in whatever quantity you want". If someone decides to hear something we aren't actually saying, then they will no doubt figure it out the first time they log a whole thick crust pizza or multiple chocolate bars.

To be clear. "Whatever" does not suggest quantity. It suggests choice in type. If someone attaches quantity to a choice that is not implied that is on them, not the statement.

Words are important.

And this is why generally like to read threads the whole way through before replying. Of course, I'm breaking that "rule" now.

But yeah: whatever != however much

• solieco1
    solieco1 Posts: 1,559 Member
    Eat what you want as long as you stay within your calories; ignore the hyperbole; measure and weigh to make sure you're really in a deficit. Done.