Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Should your S.O./Spouse have a say so if they feel you are too thin or too large?

Replies

• STLBADGIRL
    STLBADGIRL Posts: 1,693 Member
    STLBADGIRL wrote: »

Of course they are hard workers, just not in physically demanding jobs that are more likely to make you lose weight. A lot of the jobs you just mentioned can have very sedentary phases, which could lead to weight gain. I was just describing what I consider “hard work” physically. :)

Which may simply mean that some are just being mentally lazy, right?

After all, if we are arguing that more academic pursuits are simply different forms of hard work, not doing the necessary homework if you will, such as not paying attention to the best way to fuel your body could indeed mean someone is being lazy.

Just as work can encompass more than just physical labor, so can lazy. People can be physically, mentally and even emotionally lazy.

Why did I gain weight? Because I didn't do the work needed to make sure I was only eating what I needed to maintain a healthy body.

Sure, I was going to the gym and riding my bicycle 4-6 days a week. But I was lazy about paying attention to what I was putting on my plate and ultimately in my body.

Few have medical conditions that cause their body weight issues. Most exhibit some form of laziness. They either don't move enough, eat too much, not exercising the self control needed to watch what they are eating, or are not putting in the effort to educate themselves about how best to eat and fuel their bodies.

In other words, most who are overweight exhibit some form of ignorance, laziness or apathy.

You are correct. So in essence all people at varying fitness levels can be lazy in some form, whether that s physically, emotionally, or mentally.

The bottom line is excuses don't make results. Figure out your weak areas and work on them. Be they physical, emotional or mental.

Lazy doesn't win, no matter what form it takes.

If you don't know, do the work to learn.
    If you don't move, do the work to move.
    If you don't feel good, do the work it takes to feel good.

But sitting and making excuses and denying ones particular form of lazy will not produce results.

I own the fact that my form of lazy was apathy about what and how much I ate. The only thing I've changed in the past 90 days has been how I eat. I'm down 36 pounds. Still doing the same level of exercise as I did before.

It might be different for someone else. But it's some form of lazy. My lazy was lazy about what I'm eating.
    Of course that's the bottom line. We ALL know that. I don't think you are shedding light on anything new here. My point is - don't label one class of people (fat) as lazy, because as you noted above all people can be lazy or some form of lazy.

Now, what people normally do is see a fat person and judge them, by stating that they are lazy, and typically lazy is not the first thought that pop into their mind when they see an average or smaller build. That was my original point.

As for everything else you typed, I agree on - no argument there.
  • tbright1965
    tbright1965 Posts: 852 Member

You are correct. So in essence all people at varying fitness levels can be lazy in some form, whether that s physically, emotionally, or mentally.

The bottom line is excuses don't make results. Figure out your weak areas and work on them. Be they physical, emotional or mental.

But sitting and making excuses and denying ones particular form of lazy will not produce results.

I own the fact that my form of lazy was apathy about what and how much I ate. The only thing I've changed in the past 90 days has been how I eat. I'm down 36 pounds. Still doing the same level of exercise as I did before.

It might be different for someone else. But it's some form of lazy. My lazy was lazy about what I'm eating.
    Of course that's the bottom line. We ALL know that. I don't think you are shedding light on anything new here. My point is - don't label one class of people (fat) as lazy, because as you noted above all people can be lazy or some form of lazy.

Now, what people normally do is see a fat person and judge them, by stating that they are lazy, and typically lazy is not the first thought that pop into their mind when they see an average or smaller build. That was my original point.

My comment was more about the notion that people who are overweight are NOT lazy. They are, but not necessarily in the ways people think.

Now before people go GASP! He said what? It's already been established that people can be lazy even if they look perfectly healthy. So I'm not saying lazy as if I'm on some pedestal and if only "those people" would.... We all have the potential to be lazy. It may impact some more than others, or in different ways. Just because someone looks healthy doesn't mean they are. Heck, I was obese and people didn't even realize I was as heavy as I was. Even now, when I tell someone I weighed 229 this week, they looked at me and said really? Yet that is still OBESE according to the BMI calculations at 31.9. I have to get below 180 to get to a normal BMI.

And, there may be a very small number, on the order of 1 in 100 that has some real medical issue. But even with that, don't try selling us (or yourself) on it. Get yourself to the doctor and confirm your self-diagnosis. Do the work required to address your issue.

But for the other 99/100, the first step is to own that you've skipped some steps, taken some shortcuts or just haven't paid attention to what you are doing.

Again, I can hear the gasps.

No judgement, just own your actions and/or inaction and go from there. As I said before, you don't accomplish much of anything by making excuses. I would also add, you don't accomplish anything good by denying the reality. That's why I got up to 265. I was lying to myself and suggesting I was "in shape" and just a "big guy" because I could out work my 25 year old son at more than 2x his age.

Doesn't mean you have to keep being that person. I'm a firm believer in you don't have to be who you were yesterday. Anyone can be a better version of themselves tomorrow than they were yesterday. So if you've been lax in controlling what and how much you eat and what and how much you move, today and tomorrow can be different, and better.

But I think it all starts with being honest with oneself. Ultimately, the one you have to convince is yourself.
  • dra760
    dra760 Posts: 55 Member
    Can we have a candid and respectful conversation about this subject? I read on here frequently that a S.O/spouse should love your regardless of your weight....but isn't a part of love being open and honest with a person?

I want to be clear....I don't think anyone should demand a person to gain or lose weight.

i think if a person has serious health issues such as diabetes or is at risk of death, then yes. And it's all in the messaging. It shouldn't be coming from you need to lose weight but rather I'm concerned about your health how can we make changes together. But if the person is not open to change then the SO providing the support needs to respect that. If they are healthy but heavy no they shouldn't.
  • STLBADGIRL
    dra760 wrote: »
    Can we have a candid and respectful conversation about this subject? I read on here frequently that a S.O/spouse should love your regardless of your weight....but isn't a part of love being open and honest with a person?

I want to be clear....I don't think anyone should demand a person to gain or lose weight.

i think if a person has serious health issues such as diabetes or is at risk of death, then yes. And it's all in the messaging. It shouldn't be coming from you need to lose weight but rather I'm concerned about your health how can we make changes together. But if the person is not open to change then the SO providing the support needs to respect that. If they are healthy but heavy no they shouldn't.

@dra760 - Do you still provide support if your SO isn't open to change?
  • PAFC84
    PAFC84 Posts: 1,871 Member
    edited May 2018
    Rob_in_MI wrote: »
    MeganAM89 wrote: »
    captbklee wrote: »
    I think what they're saying is that, whether it's a choice or not, if there's no sex in the marriage because there's no attraction, it isn't going to last anyway. I'm sure there are more aspects to attraction than just physical appearance, though.

I agree with you.

I know that some people don't view sex as being as important in a relationship as I do, but for me, if we're not connecting in a sexual way anymore then that's a huge issue. I've found that when we're lacking on it, it bleeds into other parts of our relationship because we're both more irritable with one another due to the fact that we're sexually frustrated. When we have a good sex life together, everything is better.

Absolutely true. If you're not intimate, then you're roommates

Agreed, although I think emotional intimacy in long term relationships is usually what leads to a good sex life. Or to put it another way, physical intimacy is developed outside the bedroom.
  • PAFC84
    PAFC84 Posts: 1,871 Member
    As for should a SO have a say, it can be interpreted in two ways:

1. Can they express their opinion? I always think that a SO should be allowed to express their opinion. If you can't talk about things, what sort of relationship do you really have? If you bottle up your opinions and feelings that often leads to resentment.

2. Their say leads to action being taken. That's obviously dependant on the person on the receiving end of the opinion, the actual opinion, the overall situation, how much you agree with the opinion, is it an opinion or a fact etc

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Hubby saved me from going out the door in a blue bra under a pink tank top yesterday. He didn’t tell me what to do. He just asked if I was really planning on going out like that? A quick review in the mirror and I agreed with him.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member

Support for what, though? Killing themselves through unhealthy behaviors? That sounds less like support and more like enabling. :/
  • richardgavel
    richardgavel Posts: 1,001 Member

My comment was more about the notion that people who are overweight are NOT lazy. They are, but not necessarily in the ways people think.

Now before people go GASP! He said what? It's already been established that people can be lazy even if they look perfectly healthy. So I'm not saying lazy as if I'm on some pedestal and if only "those people" would.... We all have the potential to be lazy. It may impact some more than others, or in different ways. Just because someone looks healthy doesn't mean they are. Heck, I was obese and people didn't even realize I was as heavy as I was. Even now, when I tell someone I weighed 229 this week, they looked at me and said really? Yet that is still OBESE according to the BMI calculations at 31.9. I have to get below 180 to get to a normal BMI.

And, there may be a very small number, on the order of 1 in 100 that has some real medical issue. But even with that, don't try selling us (or yourself) on it. Get yourself to the doctor and confirm your self-diagnosis. Do the work required to address your issue.

But for the other 99/100, the first step is to own that you've skipped some steps, taken some shortcuts or just haven't paid attention to what you are doing.

No judgement, just own your actions and/or inaction and go from there. As I said before, you don't accomplish much of anything by making excuses. I would also add, you don't accomplish anything good by denying the reality. That's why I got up to 265. I was lying to myself and suggesting I was "in shape" and just a "big guy" because I could out work my 25 year old son at more than 2x his age.

Doesn't mean you have to keep being that person. I'm a firm believer in you don't have to be who you were yesterday. Anyone can be a better version of themselves tomorrow than they were yesterday. So if you've been lax in controlling what and how much you eat and what and how much you move, today and tomorrow can be different, and better.

But I think it all starts with being honest with oneself. Ultimately, the one you have to convince is yourself.

There are many reasons to be fat. One is simply having different priorities. I know many people who work constantly and are overweight because health is a low priority in their lives. Are they "lazy" because they choose saving lives in the ER, just to give one example, and grabbing fast food on the way home to collapse into bed, wake up after five hours sleep, and do it again, over planning meals and going to the gym? I suppose in your world they would find a way to do both?

You are in fact judging, whether you admit it or not, and it's very offputting and unkind.

Those same fast food places offer chicken sandwiches along with the Big Macs, small orders of fries over Xtra large ones.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member

There are many reasons to be fat. One is simply having different priorities. I know many people who work constantly and are overweight because health is a low priority in their lives. Are they "lazy" because they choose saving lives in the ER, just to give one example, and grabbing fast food on the way home to collapse into bed, wake up after five hours sleep, and do it again, over planning meals and going to the gym? I suppose in your world they would find a way to do both?

You are in fact judging, whether you admit it or not, and it's very offputting and unkind.

I know several people who work in these professions (ER nurses, trauma surgeons, first responders, etc.) who prioritize their health as well as their job. These people choose healthier options on the way home before they "collapse into bed." And in their down time, often use physical activity to help de-stress.

You are correct, though. It usually does come down to priorities. It's whatever is more important - your health and fitness or something else (comfort, convenience, some other goal, etc.) This post makes it sound like in order to take care of oneself you have to neglect others, and vice versa. It doesn't have to be an either/or, though. You CAN do both. It might be more challenging, that's true.

Of course, there will sometimes be other circumstances beyond our control that make it nearly impossible to maintain our health and fitness the way we'd like to. But most people can make at least some extra effort IF they want to. You don't have to be a fitness superstar, in perfect shape, while saving lives in the ER, either. You can make simple choices that lead to better health and don't require tons of time and effort. And when you feel better, you function better.

I'm not trying to be judgmental. I'm kind of neutral on it. Choosing not to focus on your own self care in order to do other things isn't necessarily bad. It's just a choice people make. Live and let live. I know people who don't prioritize their health because they choose to put themselves last and seem to take on more than they can handle in order to avoid focusing on themselves. That's just the way they roll and they seem to be fine, besides maybe getting a little run down and sick more often. I'm cool with that, too. They're happy. But don't try to make it sound heroic and selfless to not care for yourself. That sounds like an excuse.

IMO, you can often take better care of others when you take care of yourself, too. In "my world" people DO find a way to do both.
  • tbright1965
    tbright1965 Posts: 852 Member

You are right, I am judging.

The very same judgment I subjected myself to.

It is not mutually exclusive to care for oneself and to care for others.

In fact, the better I care for myself, the higher the probability is that I'll be around to care for my wife and kids.

I don't deny, nor am I ashamed of the judgment to which I subject myself.

Others are free to subject themselves to it, or ignore it. Makes no difference to me. Being judgment does not negate the truth presented in my statement.
  • STLBADGIRL
    jenilla1 wrote: »

Support for what, though? Killing themselves through unhealthy behaviors? That sounds less like support and more like enabling. :/

@dra760 I agree - but it is all about perspective. The other person could believe that she is supporting her SO by not pointing out the obvious if they are not ready to change.
  • STLBADGIRL
    edited May 2018

In fact, the better I care for myself, the higher the probability is that I'll be around to care for my wife and kids.

Others are free to subject themselves to it, or ignore it. Makes no difference to me. Being judgment does not negate the truth presented in my statement.

@tbright1965 This is great and all. But since you were judged you would think that your angle would be different. It comes across that you have gotten a handle on your health and now you are jumping on the bandwagon of all the judgmental people that used to talk about you and doing it to others! Not cool IMO! Almost the attitude of 'you deserved that treatment because you were fat and/or unhealthy'.
  • STLBADGIRL

@tbright1965 This is great and all. But since you were judged you would think that your angle would be different. It comes across that you have gotten a handle on your health and now you are jumping on the bandwagon of all the judgmental people that used to talk about you and doing it to others! Not cool IMO! Almost the attitude of 'you deserved that treatment because you were fat and/or unhealthy'.

People judge. To say that it's wrong is being judgmental yourself. I.E. you can't say it's wrong for someone to judge without you yourself making a judgment.

So to expect that people not make judgments is unrealistic. Just as I noted when I cited Dr Willard Harley's work earlier in the thread.

People are going to judge. Others are going to judge and say they shouldn't judge.

Since one cannot logically, and without contradiction make the statement that people shouldn't judge, then perhaps the most realistic course of action is to accept that people will judge, and not judge them as if your form of judgment is somehow superior to theirs, and get on with life.

Everyone's spouse or S.O. made some sort of judgment when they got into a relationship with you. You made a judgement when you entered the relationship with them.

I don't expect the world to be without judgment. Exactly the opposite, I expect it to pass many judgments on me, daily.

I wouldn't call it saying people deserve it. I'm simply saying it's a fact of life. People judge. To say they shouldn't is in fact a violation of the idea that people shouldn't judge.

Now we can talk about the best way to deliver those messages. But to expect a judgment free world is not a reasonable expectation.

Fine, I'm okay with making a judgment that I don't and can't know what someone else may be dealing with, so for MYSELF, I choose not to judge others who have made different choices than me.

I'm not perfect at it. I find many people's choices incomprehensible...and it can be things from why they smoke to who they voted for or where they live. But I don't know what has gone on in their lives. I don't know why the gentleman sleeping under the overpass is there. I don't know what the woman who hasn't worked for a year may be coping with. I don't know what struggle or perspective or mindset someone from a different political affiliation may be coming from. I don't know the inner workings of a marriage that may lead one party to cheat. And I don't know what the 400 lb individual may be dealing with that doesn't readily show on the outside.

I judge MYSELF as unequipped to judge others. I respect everyone who makes a sincere effort to understand instead of condemn, and I feel sorry for people who think they know everything, or prejudge others based on the fact that that person's struggle is different from their own. Because we ALL have things we struggle with. We ALL have our vices, weaknesses, and difficulties. Overweight people are unfortunate in some ways because our struggle shows on the outside. But I'd trade my weaknesses and problems for many others I could name.

Very well put!