July 2018 Running Challenge

Replies

• mltrainer1
    mltrainer1 Posts: 5 Member
    I'm confused: when you say post your goals and miles "here" do you mean in the replies?
  • LaDispute57
    LaDispute57 Posts: 371 Member
    Yes...
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    @PastorVincent great news! I know the feeling for a while there I felt like I moved every time I turned around.
  • polskagirl01
    polskagirl01 Posts: 2,010 Member
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    I'm trying to catch up, here! This is what happens when I take a "lake day"!
    bride001 wrote: »
    @katiebug3268 - Welcome. I have ran the half marathon for St Jude Memphis Marathon Weekend 4 times. This year I am running the 10K - mainly because there are some bucket list races I want to do in my home state that I can't do while training for a half marathon.

I am concerned that you are a new to running and are attempting a half six months out - but people have done it before. St Jude half course is a little hilly but very manageable. I also know plenty of people that walk the half.

I think @katiebug3268 can do it! I started running in 2011... on April 25 of that year I squeezed out my very first mile in a cotton t-shirt, gray Russell sweats and Reebok cross-trainers. I got educated in a hurry about running clothes and especially shoes. Chafed nipples and blistered feet are harsh teachers. I ran my first half five months later totally clueless and without a training program. @katiebug3268 appears to be on a quicker learning curve...lol

I agree that it is possible, as long as she sticks to a plan that will get her there gradually and doesn't have any hangups along the way (injury, etc). Something like C25k (8 weeks), then Hal Higdon's beginner HM plan (12 weeks) would technically get her there in time.
    Teresa502 wrote: »

I want compression bermudas, lol, with lots of pockets. Don't the running fashion gods know that there are chubby women in their 40s who *also* like to run in the summertime?

Skirt Sports makes a skirt with compression shorts built in that actually don't ride up. I've tried other brands but Skirt Sports are the only ones that stay down over my thighs.

Gypsy Runner makes great compression capris and longer shorts with deep pockets. She has all kinds of funky prints.

My cycling shorts have this rubbery-sticky strip along the bottom hem that keeps them in place REALLY well. I wonder if there are companies that make shorts for runners like that.

Tri shorts are also like this. You ever notice once you're hot and sweaty, if you adjust your bike/tri/ compression shorts at all (pit stop), they are never comfortable again?
    This i hate. And then the seams get to bothering me.

Good idea - but do tri shorts have the padding for cycling in them? As far as adjusting, yes, I have noticed that, but the annoyance only lasts a few minutes for me, then I forget it and they seem to "settle in" where I put them. Bonus: If I do the pit stop right, I don't move the sticky bottom hem anyway.

QUESTION: One of the races I'm considering is a half marathon on sand. Advice??? I have trails around me to train on, and some have sort-of sandy loose dirt, but that's not the same and I am not sure where I'd find sand to train on. Should I pick another race?
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,385 Member
    I didn't get out for my early morning run as planned because my daughter came into town last night and we stayed up way too late last night. I slept an hour over my alarm and still didn't get enough sleep. I am also still so sore from my Tuesday strength training (increased weights) workout. I am going to head to the gym and try to get in my short run (3mi pace on the plan) in on the treadmill. Have another training session tonight. Hope my body is feeling better by then!
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    kevaasen wrote: »

I just ordered the smaller Wunjo X2/Race vest as I wanted something light and economical and this fits the bill.

If anyone else is interested, WUNJOWOMAN18 is a working 18% discount code I found. Helps offsets the $10 in shipping cost since my order was less than $100 (free shipping if you hit that target).

received shipment yesterday, so one week shipping from Norway - not to bad. Looking forward to testing soon once my knee is recovered. Super light and based on quick fitting, like how it feels.

Cool. My X5 came last week and I ran in it twice. I am not ready to give a full review, but I can say it did not kill me and that is my very first line a product must cross. :lol:

Do not remember if I posted a picture, so here:

Thanks for the photo - I like how you swoop the water line over. Last night when trying it on, I noticed it was super long and was debating how to minimize length or minimize bounce - so this looks to be a good way to position it.

I got the idea from @JessicaMcB posts of her pictures wearing hers. I have seen others tuck it behind the straps heading straight down too. I am undecided which way is best yet.

@PastorVincent I'm not sure if this is an option or if you could rig this to your vest, but I have an Osprey cycling pack that I sometimes use for running. If I'm using a hydration bladder and if I need more space (i.e. longer trail runs), then I take that pack. Cyclists get all the cools stuff like packs that don't bounce. Anyway... this particular vest has a magnet on the buckle to the top (sternum) horizontal strap. The reservoir that came with the pack has a matching size/shape magnet on the end of the tubing near the bite valve. This setup allows me to put the bite valve on the middle of my chest secured by the magnet, but is very fast and easy to grab for a drink and then place back again quickly. The tubing doesn't bounce around at all, but is fast to access.

Interesting idea. Not sure if I could rig something like that up. Getting a magnet on the vest should be easy, but getting it on the round tube might be really tough. Esply since it gets wet. Think on this, I will.

They sell these specifically for hydration packs. Check REI. I think thats where i got mine.

Hmm there are several on Amazon (like this one for $12) - wonder if all the hoses are basically the same size? Probably. Probably all made in the same Chinese factory.

Yep. I dont remember what brand I bought. I have an orange mud pack and somewhere on their site it reference one, so i think that what i did..... But mine was like $6. I think.
  • Elise4270
    @katiebug3268 - Welcome. I have ran the half marathon for St Jude Memphis Marathon Weekend 4 times. This year I am running the 10K - mainly because there are some bucket list races I want to do in my home state that I can't do while training for a half marathon.

I am concerned that you are a new to running and are attempting a half six months out - but people have done it before. St Jude half course is a little hilly but very manageable. I also know plenty of people that walk the half.

I think @katiebug3268 can do it! I started running in 2011... on April 25 of that year I squeezed out my very first mile in a cotton t-shirt, gray Russell sweats and Reebok cross-trainers. I got educated in a hurry about running clothes and especially shoes. Chafed nipples and blistered feet are harsh teachers. I ran my first half five months later totally clueless and without a training program. @katiebug3268 appears to be on a quicker learning curve...lol

I agree that it is possible, as long as she sticks to a plan that will get her there gradually and doesn't have any hangups along the way (injury, etc). Something like C25k (8 weeks), then Hal Higdon's beginner HM plan (12 weeks) would technically get her there in time.

I want compression bermudas, lol, with lots of pockets. Don't the running fashion gods know that there are chubby women in their 40s who *also* like to run in the summertime?

Skirt Sports makes a skirt with compression shorts built in that actually don't ride up. I've tried other brands but Skirt Sports are the only ones that stay down over my thighs.

Gypsy Runner makes great compression capris and longer shorts with deep pockets. She has all kinds of funky prints.

My cycling shorts have this rubbery-sticky strip along the bottom hem that keeps them in place REALLY well. I wonder if there are companies that make shorts for runners like that.

Tri shorts are also like this. You ever notice once you're hot and sweaty, if you adjust your bike/tri/ compression shorts at all (pit stop), they are never comfortable again?
    This i hate. And then the seams get to bothering me.

Good idea - but do tri shorts have the padding for cycling in them? As far as adjusting, yes, I have noticed that, but the annoyance only lasts a few minutes for me, then I forget it and they seem to "settle in" where I put them. Bonus: If I do the pit stop right, I don't move the sticky bottom hem anyway.

QUESTION: One of the races I'm considering is a half marathon on sand. Advice??? I have trails around me to train on, and some have sort-of sandy loose dirt, but that's not the same and I am not sure where I'd find sand to train on. Should I pick another race?

Yes the shorts have cycling padding. But they are thin and go unnoticed during a run. They are made to swim, bike then run in.

Sand? The whole 13 miles? Is it packed? Can you visit the race route and check it out. I've done 3-4 miles on packed sand (Georgia beach) and it was fine. If its loose, i couldnt manage that. My calves would explode... or implode.
  • Teresa502
    Teresa502 Posts: 1,702 Member
    Sand? The whole 13 miles? Is it packed? Can you visit the race route and check it out. I've done 3-4 miles on packed sand (Georgia beach) and it was fine. If its loose, i couldnt manage that. My calves would explode... or implode.

Agree. I did a HM on Hilton Head beach but the sand was hard-packed and it wasn't a problem. I can't imagine running on loose sand like in the Miami area. Walking was hard enough!
  • Scott6255
    Scott6255 Posts: 2,429 Member
    Yeah, I would definitely find another race. A HM on sand would be a total beating!
    Gary_Z wrote: »
    I ran 2 miles today towards my goal. I configured the ticker, but when I paste it, it doesn't show my progress. Don't know why.

It is just the browser not updating. If you wait awhile it will show up correctly, or sometimes you can do a Refresh and it will update. But don't worry, we all see the latest progress.
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    zdyb23456 wrote: »
    I use Vaseline in the areas chafe for me and it works great. I don't notice any staining, but my running gear is all dark or black. I chafe on my sports bra line in the front and back (but only for certain sports bras) and sometimes the underside of my right upper arm where it rubs along the side of my chest... weird right? Not on the left, just the right. My right arm must fatter than my left.

I found a 2 pack of dri-fit shorts on Amazon, super cheap, short, and fitted.
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B072LV6BCQ/ref=twister_B07D7VMBK8?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

My upper thighs touch, but don't seem to rub or chafe when I run. I like the short length because of tan lines... I know, super vain.

Those are the same ones I use, but I like the 5” best - I won’t judge anyone who cares about tan lines, but since I don’t tan, I don’t worry about it! Of course, even with all of the sunscreen and running early in the day my arm freckles are looking a little more prominent than usual... It hadn’t occurred to me to put sunscreen on my legs while running, and I haven’t burned at all. Huh.

Re: chafing, I have only ever gotten it on my thighs so far, but I haven’t run longer than 6 miles at a time yet, so that might make a difference. I should be hitting 6 miles this weekend and 10k next weekend if all goes according to plan (glares at weather forecast predicting a week of thunderstorms).
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member

My skirt sport has that but none of the regular running shorts I have do. You'd think they would?
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Avidkeo wrote: »
    I'm back! Oh this is why we run, the endorphins lol. It's a beautiful, if cold, morning. The stars are out and no wind. I live rural so nooght pollution so the milky-way is full on. Wish I could take a pic for you guys!

And I tried the new shoes. Can't have bothered me because I got a PR for my 5k! Not sure if this is the fastest ever, I think I've done a sub 30 min one before, but I'll take it anyway lol. pokoblrkvixv.jpg

Lucky you! There's so much light pollution here we're lucky if we can see Venus and Jupiter, much less any stars. It used to be better out in the county where my mom lives but now it's almost as bad even in the rural areas of the county - major constellations, but nothing else.
  • Elise4270
    cburke8909 wrote: »
    6 miles this am and a 5k race tonight. Trying to keep up with all these post, is it me? or are there just many, many post this month?
    Yes! lots of participation this month. (One more post here for you to catch up on now). :tongue:

• JulieS3103
    JulieS3103 Posts: 86 Member
    I haven't had any luck with running shorts so far, I wear capris. I was really excited to try Oiselle long rogas and they still ride up too much so maybe I should have bought the pocket joggers instead.

July 1 - 7 mile run
    July 3 - 2.6 mile run
    July 4 - Antioch Run for Freedom 5k
    July 5 - 6 mile Treadmill run
    July 6 - Strength workout
    July 7 - 4.5 mile run
    July 8 - 9.5 mile run
    July 10 - 4 mile run
    July 11 - 3 mile Treadmill run

39.7 miles so far/Goal 100 miles

Upcoming Races:
    7/14/18 Bristol 5K