Less Alcohol- July 2018- One Day at a Time

Replies

• donimfp
    donimfp Posts: 795 Member
    @ErikNJ, oh yeaahhhhh. I forgot about those disgusting shows. I'm a Food Network and Cooking Channel watcher, mainly while I'm cooking just for fun and companionship (love Ina). But then occasionally I'll see a promo for one of those shows--never watched one--and I get completely disgusted. Not only are they gross; they are immoral, in my opinion, when there is food scarcity in so many places, including our own backyards. I am embarrassed for our country when I see overfed people stuffing as much food in their faces as they can for so-called "entertainment." I have often wondered who on earth watches these shows??? I can't even take the promos.

@WinoGelato, wow! Cheetos cocktail hour. Awesome.

I guess my faith in humankind is now blown. This discussion has made me want to have kale and water for dinner.
  • SunnyDays930
    SunnyDays930 Posts: 1,486 Member
    Welcome @melliness. You will find lots of support here.
  • snoo61
    snoo61 Posts: 549 Member
    melliness wrote: »
    I am taking this very literally (one day without drinking) and I am going to not drink tonight. I suffer from sudden panic attacks and a glass of wine definitely helps but I am going to try to breathe and wait it out. The feeling is awful but it doesn't always last that long. We'll see if I can do it. I am weightlifting, doing qi gong daily (a moving meditation), walking, eating well. I feel like I should be able to not drink alcohol. Here goes.

Glad you joined us. I hope you make it through tonight! Let us know how it goes. There's a lot of support here. My SIL had panic attacks, they can be debilitating.

• NormInv
    NormInv Posts: 3,285 Member
    salleewins wrote: »
    6 months yesterday!!!!! Woo hoo!!!!!

that is AMAZING!!!
  • donimfp
    @lorrainequiche59, my BFF goes
  • donimfp
    Oops. Hit post. She goes to an all-women’s AA and loves it. There is also an all-men’s group in my town. So they do exist. If I ever decide to check out a meeting I will definitely choose the all female group. There are mixed groups too of course.
  • salleewins
    salleewins Posts: 2,308 Member
    edited July 2018
    There are women's only AA groups around here.
  • andysport1
    andysport1 Posts: 592 Member
    Ke22yB wrote: »
    @erikNJ I understand the literal meanings and I support anyone who is making an effort no matter the level of success I just wanted to point out somewhat that possibly drinking less and moderation may not be the same thing.
    There were times I drank less but alcohol still had an unshakeable hold on my life. I knew at all times how much alcohol I had in my house and I made sure that if I was away on vacation or for a weekend I didn't come home empty handed if I wasn't sure there was enough to drink at home. I could get by with less but tried to make sure I didn't have to.
    Sometimes we might hide behind moderation to our detriment

I can relate to this, acknowledgment is halfway there.
  • andysport1
    andysport1 Posts: 592 Member
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    I’m pretty proud of myself - we had a school committee meeting at a brewery and I drank water! Partly because it wasn’t on my plan to drink tonight and partly because I have a late night work call with Asia, but it was my first time going to a bar and just ordering water since starting in this group. Probably my only time other than being pregnant, to be honest!

Wowser well done you