WOMEN AGES 50 + FOR NOVEMBER 2018

Options

Replies

• SarahKratos
    SarahKratos Posts: 58 Member
    edited November 2018
    Options
    Lucy - I bought protein powder at Cosco. A cup of that will fill you up and hold you over till supper and very good for you.
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Took the water class today. The plan for tomorrow is to do Gin Miller’s Simply Endurance DVD

Rori – have fun at your lunch. You remind me that I need to dig out our Christmas cards. I usually get them written out right after Thanksgiving.

Supposed to volunteer at the Green Room today. Told them that I might get there late. My exercise is quite important to me and I usually don’t leave the water class until about 10. I’m thinking that I may leave a bit early so I can get to the Green Room closer to the time. Then tonight we’re supposed to go to the Hickory Community Theater to see “Finnegan’s Wake”. I understand that it’s really funny.

Margaret – IF the radon was unacceptable, I seem to remember that when we bought this house the people were required to make the necessary repairs and they had to call in an outside company to do it. The company guaranteed their work, and they wouldn’t guarantee it if they did sub-par work. Well, at least you don’t have to worry about that. We rented the house to the owner for a month but that was mainly because the house sold so fast that they weren’t expecting it to sell so fast. But he was a nice guy. You seem to have a lot thought out – good for you! Too bad for the sellers that they’re losing so much. What a shame <snicker> Update: Maybe the radon was mitigated before we bought the house, I really don't remember

Willow – welcome! What a lovely name. I’m so sorry you have those health issues. We’re here for you. Honestly, I don’t know anyone who can completely keep up with this board – we are such a chatty bunch. Don’t feel bad if you can’t. Just respond to those you feel you can, no one will judge you.

KJ – what a wonderful thing you are doing for your inlaws

Volunteered at the Green Room today then made some oatmeal raisin cookies for us for Christmas. Still want to make snickerdoodles and Pete asked for Lemon ricotta cookies last year so I’ll make some for him for this year

Jo – happy birthday to your husband

KATHY – WELCOME!

Cari – My grandmother was a fantastic crocheter. Do you remember when the crochet vests were in style? Anyway, she went to a store, saw one she liked but she didn’t want to pay for it, so she came home and made it from memory. How I regret not learning crochet when she wanted to teach me! I was a know-it-all teenager who “didn’t want anything to do with that old lady stuff”. Now I’m teaching myself. I seem to have so many problems with doing something in the round. You did well at your bbq lunch. Good job!

Went to see the play “Finnegan’s Wake”. It’s funny, when we first got this theater’s schedule, I told Vince that I wanted to see it and he really wasn’t interested. But he enjoyed himself!

Found out today that they aren’t having my water class next Wed. due to the holiday. Really, I think it’s more because the lady who teaches it is taking the week off to go somewhere and they really don’t have any sub ever since the one gal broke her hip. Well…I’ll just do something at home

Vince wants to work on the outside decorations tomorrow since it’s supposed to be in the 60’s.

Michele in NC
  • PressingPatience
    PressingPatience Posts: 49 Member
    edited November 2018
    Options
    Huh, I just ordered Sweating to the Oldies from Amazon. I actually used to like them. We'll see how that goes.

Willow from WA USA
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,894 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    My sister-in-law posted this and I thought it was good ...

lkzkyg4kxd5w.png

Nov 1 - smell. My roses. :)
    Nov 2 - technology. Social media and staying connected with family and friends.
    Nov 3 - colour. Blue. The blue of the mouth of the river/bay/start of the ocean out my window. The blue of the sky. My new blue sleeping top that was nice and comfy last night.
    Nov 4 - food ... cheese. I ate a lot of grilled cheese sandwiches when my husband was in hospital. They were my comfort food. Also cheese has calcium which I think I need. Unfortunately, cheese does tend to be a bit high in calories so I shouldn't eat too much of it. But anything cheese-y is comforting. :)
    Nov 5 - sound. I like listening to the waves and the birds, but I think the sound I'm most grateful for today is my husband's voice. Just the fact that we can talk to each other again. :)
    Nov 6 - "What in nature are you grateful for?" ... That's hard to narrow down to one thing. Oxford dictionary describes nature as "the phenomena of the physical world collectively, including plants, animals, the landscape, and other features and products of the earth". I am grateful for all of it. I find that getting out into any sort of nature helps to relieve stress.
    Nov 7 - "What memory are you grateful for?" ... Another one with so many choices!!! Recently, I've been grateful for two memories. 1) June 2017 ... my husband and I had a wonderful visit to Canada and did several things to make great memories ... hiking, cycling, visiting my family. I clung onto those memories during the months he was in hospital. 2) When I was 9 years old, my family moved away from where my grandmother lived. One of of the last days there, my grandmother took me to her window and showed me a full moon outside. She told me that on every full moon, we could both look at it and know that even though we were far apart, we were both looking at the same moon. That's a memory which has stuck with me all these years, and every time I see a full moon, I think of my grandmother. She's 97 years old ... but not doing so well ... so I've been thinking of her a lot. And I've also been very glad that my husband and I were able to see her when we visited Canada in June 2017.
    Nov 8 - "What book are you most grateful for?" That's easy ... The Bible. :)

I've enjoyed reading all your memories. :)
    Love the discussion about books! :)

Nov 9 - "What place are you most grateful for?" This is not an easy one for me because I don't have the sense of "home" that many people have. I've moved too much for that.
    So ... I've had to give this one some thought. What place?
    Well ...
    I'm grateful for our current house. It's comfortable enough. It's not very big so it's fairly easy to manage. And it has a great garden which my husband has been able to work in since returning home from his accident. It is also close to a couple beaches, which is nice. :)
    Nov 10 - Taste! Hmmm ... salt. In the "Do you crave sweet or salty" discussion, I fall on the "salty" side.
    As it happens, I have a diminished sense of taste and smell for whatever reason, so I divide foods into the basic tastes: sweet, salty, sour or bitter, and from there it's harder to distinguish precise flavours. Although, I do seem to have some odd tastes like, for example, meat and tomato taste metallic to me, and I don't like that. If I salt them well, the metallic taste goes away and they taste salty, which is OK.
    Then, one of the side effects of my husband's accident is that he has lost most of his sense of taste and smell. He has regained a little bit, and they say it should return very gradually. But he'll comment that dinner has no flavour, and I'll think, "It just tastes salty to me. Is there supposed to be more flavour than that?"
    Nov 11 - What holiday are you grateful for? Christmas!!! :)
    I've always loved Christmas. I even picked up 3 Christmas CDs yesterday. I like having a decent amount of time off ... not just one day ... so I can get things done. I like all the decorations. I like the music. I like the services and celebrations.
    Nov 12 - Texture. Smooth. Very, very smooth. Clothing with no texture. Textured clothing is unwearable. Smooth clothing is good.
    Nov 13 - Abilities. Right now, it would have to be organisation. While I feel like I'm in the midst of a chaotic whirlwind (and have been for the past 8 months) and I don't feel very organised, surprisingly enough, stuff is getting done.
    Maybe I should include things like endurance and tenacity ... "skills" I've honed from my long distance cycling carrying over to "real life".
    Nov 14 - Sight. What sight am I grateful for? The ever-changing view out the window of our house looking over the bay and the surrounding hills. Right now it's all grey and misty but it still looks good.
    Nov 15 - Season. The season I am most grateful for is summer. I love summer. I'd love it if the year were divided so that there was 1 month of winter, 1 month of spring, 2 months of autumn, and 8 months of real summer weather. We're coming into summer here and I appreciate each and every summer-like day.
    Nov 16 - What about your body are you grateful for?
    Sometimes I think ... "less and less" these days because I'm literally falling apart.
    But ... I'm grateful for my legs which are one of my main methods of transportation.

Nov 17 - What knowledge are you grateful for? -- The tacit knowledge of cycling. Being able to ride a bicycle. It has taken me all over the world. It's how my husband and I met. It is stress relief. And it is part of my husband's healing process.
    https://www.brainline.org/blog/getting-back-bike/what-brain-derived-neurotrophic-factor-and-why-you-should-care

Machka in Oz

• auntiebk
    auntiebk Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options
    Only through pg 41, too sleepy to forge on.

Lanette thanks for mentioning CEMPs, will try to see if our county has one.
    Rori "Life is a banquet..." Amen Auntie Mame!
    Barbie 5 burners? Whoo HOO! Dancing in dog walking shoes, LOL!
    KJ "snowman soup"? Joaquin can call you at will? BIG Smile!
    Pat in OH (((hugs)))
    Michele "... bathroom at bowling, not at home?" :noway:
    Viv "exercise first" and splitting the video into manageable times. Maybe that will get me back on track. Thanks!

Welcome Elke, lucyogrady, Willow. welcome back Lin from NW Ont

#13 Ability to drive, to go into town whenever I want for activities, groceries or just 'cuz.
    #14 sight of Tumble, tongue lolling out side of her mouth while wriggling on her back in something stinky. Pure joy!
    #15 blue sky days, regardless of season. We need the rain, but I love the sunlight, all the more as the days get so very doggoned short.

Lighter, lovelies!
    f8qt1s098sxm.gifBarbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie AHMOD.
    walk one more step 14/16, 60 g protein 13/16, rx/vits 15/16, meditate 15/16, knee exercises 16/16, SWSY UP 3/8, SWSY LOW 2/8, core 3/8, play with Tumble 7/16, hang up or purge art 0/4 AF 12/16.

• barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,927 Member
    Options
    Huh, I just ordered Sweating to the Oldies from Amazon. I actually used to like them. We'll see how that goes.

Willow from WA USA

:) I bought them awhile back and I love them. I especially love that the people in the videos are all ages and sizes and shapes.
  • LisaInAR
    LisaInAR Posts: 2,020 Member
    Options
    Lagopus wrote: »
    Machka9 wrote: »
    Saturday -- My husband and I cycled up the Pipeline Track. It's a trail partway up Mt Wellington. At first there are a few houses around, and then the trail continues into the bush up the mountain. It was lovely!

Now ... his Strava says about 25 km. I don't know why there's such a difference give that we did the same ride. But anyway ...
    Machka - I'm SO glad to read this! You've both come a long way. :heart:

Lisa - Speaking of well deserved, it's good to hear that you're getting some props for your grant-writing skills. I wasn't posting at the time, but I saw how poorly you were treated by that interim director. It made my blood boil!

/Penny at the t07190.gif

Ditto, big time on the congrats to Machka for such amazing progress for both you and your husband. Every time you get him on the bike, you're bringing the man you love back to life.

And thank you, Penny... I've gone through the stages and out the other side to "don't burn bridges," and it's corollary from Frank Sinatra, that the best revenge (not my favorite word) is massive success. That's MY story, and I'm sticking to it. :smiley:

Trying not to write my letter of resignation until I have another job in hand is taxing my willpower... :blush:

Love y'all!
    Lisa in AR
  • 1948Peachy
    1948Peachy Posts: 1,511 Member
    Options
    Barbie ~ Check your messages. I sent you a PM from Lenora.

#17 Knowledge I am thankful for....understanding a lot about what makes me ME! Knowing that I have weaknesses and strengths and am aware of these things!

Carol in GA
  • 1948Peachy
    1948Peachy Posts: 1,511 Member
    Options
    Paige ~ What cute pets. The kitten is adorable.

Off to Walmart to pick up meds.

Carol in GA