WOMEN AGES 50 + FOR JANUARY 2019

Replies

• janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    pipcd34 wrote: »
    Katla49 wrote: »
    Penny & Pip: What are the chances that the two of you are actually sisters? Seems plausible. :wink: :devil: At the very least, you seem to be sisters of the heart. :heart:

Carol in GA: It sounds as though you have a serious worry regarding your DBIL. Good luck to you & your DH. Is he close enough to drop in on him a couple of times a week? Do you think he needs to be in an assisted living facility? :cry:

Clowe1028: Thanks for posting the link to the real skinny on fat. I watched this series before and would love to see it again. :smiley:

Cathy in Arlington: We’re waiting for delivery of a new Whirlpool dishwasher. The first one arrived with a sharp crease in the door and was sent back without ever coming into our house. Hopefully the replacement will be here in the very near future. Our old dishwasher is barely limping along. :ohwell:

Are any of you watching the Outlander Series on Starz? I bought the books as they came out and have read them all, some of them more than once. I am so impressed with the TV production. They’ve done a stellar job so far.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

I’ll take it, I hope she younger. I am the youngest in our family of 7, being the baby sucks!

Pip

I'm the youngest of 6 girls, I feel your pain lol

Janetr OKC
  • kymarai
    kymarai Posts: 3,603 Member
    Kylia GLAD - Grateful Learned Achieved Delighted - I like that. I've not done a gratitude journal, but that mnemonic would make it simple to get started. Changing it up a bit for this morning, I am Grateful that I Learned about little Aubrey, and Delight in her Achievement of making it through the first few days of life after a precarious start. <3

Karen-I love what you did with GLAD!!!!! No more news tonight, but Paige(my niece) did post on FB, so things are still progressing the right way!

I am on page 9, finally! I am excited for the weekend since my husband will be hunting again. Last weekend of the season. Reason one for my love of his hunting is he gets out of my hair for short periods of time. Second, I spend less at grocery as I don't have to buy any red meat. Third, I get ME time with no interruptions! Fourth, I get more done in the early morning (like 4 am) than I do after work and dinner at 8 pm. I love the running and biking. Maybe in my future. For now I just need to move again. Steps have only averaged about 6000/day. It will happen. I will make it happen.

Felicia- I understand the tiny and extra weight. At my highest non-pregnant I was 155 and it hurt. I
    finally got down to the 130’s and have struggled to get out of the 120s all of 2018. I had a few glimpses but need to get serious again. I was 95 lbs. when I met my husband 25 years ago, I have NO desire to be that small again, but 115 is my happy spot. We CAN do this together with all these ladies

Lisa- I love the drafting table. I too think it will work great!

Carol- I have my Grandmother’s old cookbook. It is an old date book with cutouts and handwritten recipes. I use her pecan pie recipe and cranberry salad recipe every Thanksgiving. One of my friends has a severely fatty liver. She is now pure vegan. It has helped tremendously. Luckily, she is also a fabulous cook!

Bonnie- My husband is the cookie monster in our home. He loves thin mints and Oreos. I am figuring I am going to have to start baking chocolate chip cookies for him. At least then they wont have artificial things in them! When his AFIB first started he was dropping weight so fast it made me want to throw things at him. Now that he is on meds to control the fast rhythm, he hasn’t changed his eating style and has put back on the 20 he lost and added another 15. I told him we needed to work on that for his health. I then reassured him that I love him at any size but want to keep him around for a while. His father died at 52. My husband is now 55, so planning on doing what I can to encourage a little loss and a long life.

Cari- 69 lbs. in 5 months is AMAZING! WOW! Just WOW! I love sweet potatoes and try to bake them about once a week. I understand about the sweet potato casserole though! Yummy dessert goodness! But not every week item. I also had a chow. She had been abused as a puppy and never was sociable. She was okay with women but hated little boys. The boys were the only ones she ever snapped at. Most people she would inspect, but if reached for would run away.

Time to head to bed. Will read more in the morning!

Welcome to the new ladies!
    Keep the stories flowing!
    Hugs to all!
    <3
    Kylia in the sun shone for 2 hours today!
  • OregonMother
    OregonMother Posts: 1,558 Member
    Thank you to the runners and cyclists giving me tips. I still haven't been out to enjoy my new bicycle, since it was raining again today. Going slow for the running sounds like great advice. I read about a marathoner who, in spite of being much older than his competition, still beat them in a days long marathon. He wasn't faster; he went along at a slow shuffle, and they laughed at him. But like the tortoise to the hare, he had the last laugh. He didn't sleep, so when they were taking their rest, he shuffled past their distances. He sort of zoned out and kept on going. My faulty memory keeps me from remembering the specifics. Ah, found it! https://elitefeet.com/the-legend-of-cliff-young

I get leg cramps too, and have for most of my life. When I get them, I immediately get my foot flat on the floor as soon as I can move without screaming. My toes are always pointed when these cramps hit, and snapping my foot to a 45 degree angle stops it. If I can't do it quickly, the cramp lingers, and I do some hamstring stretches. I had a friend who insisted putting a bar of regular soap in your bed will stop the cramps--no idea why.

That is what I do too. Immediately stand up, and place my foot flat on the ground. Hurts like the devil, but it is the only thing that gets it over quickly for me. To be fair, I have never tried quinine.

Felicia
    Currently in Cancun
  • OregonMother
    OregonMother Posts: 1,558 Member
    From the air. Will try to post better pics tomorrow. It was nearly dark when we got here. And cloudy. On my phone, so I will be terse this week. I hope not rude.

Felicia
    Cancun
  • bwcetc
    bwcetc Posts: 2,748 Member
    edited January 2019
    Bonnie you said ....I always have diet tonic water with quinine around the house. I had one really bad about a month ago and could not even move with crying, it hurt so bad. Usually, with the tonic water, it is gone in just a few seconds.

I’ve never heard of using tonic water for muscle cramps ... how do you use this ..

A stupid question ... but are you drinking it fast ? How does it help in seconds?

• TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,054 Member
    edited January 2019
    Machka: Your grandmother sounds like quite a woman. So sorry for your loss. She has sown lots of her love of life in your heart. You look a lot like her. No recent photos of grandpa. Am I right in thinking he has gone before her?
  • Lagopus
    Lagopus Posts: 1,016 Member
    Sorry for your loss, Machka. Wonderful that your grandmother lived a full, healthy, generous life.

:heart:

/Penny
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,683 Member
    morning ladies~
    have a 3.2 lb loss since I started this now that I am plugging everything into MFP ,its hard to keep it under 20 g of carbs.. but im kickin it :)
    Machka~ your grandmother sounds wonderful and led a full and adventurous life, as does her granddaughter... my maternal grandma lived to be 93 and she was a force to be reckoned with a little sprite of a thing but had the irish temper.. didn't mess with her...
    well off to the showers and to walk the dogs and feed DFIL and then to work..