January 2019 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    @7lenny7 Dang man. That is a bit chilly. You reckon you will need a hat? :smiley:
  • ContraryMaryMary
    ContraryMaryMary Posts: 1,649 Member
    Options
    Avidkeo wrote: »
    My mini-me illustrating pretty much what I’ve been doing all week (my waistline is starting to resemble hers too as a consequence!).
    ne2hc6yy8kzm.jpeg

Last night I attempted some running - I’m here alone with the children so, once they were asleep, I did some speed repeats - 12x250 then a 900m cool down. Pushed it a bit hard and my calf is telling me about it today. Longer and slower would have been better but I couldn’t leave the kids by themselves.

Beautiful! Where abouts are you holidaying?

On Waiheke. My sister has a bach at Onetangi. Home today ☹️
  • almostsuperpowered
    almostsuperpowered Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    sarahthes wrote: »

I have some yaktracks at home. I will wear them next time! In the interim I am icing with some $4 McCain hashbrowns
  • Avidkeo
    Avidkeo Posts: 3,190 Member
    Options
    Avidkeo wrote: »
    My mini-me illustrating pretty much what I’ve been doing all week (my waistline is starting to resemble hers too as a consequence!).
    ne2hc6yy8kzm.jpeg

Last night I attempted some running - I’m here alone with the children so, once they were asleep, I did some speed repeats - 12x250 then a 900m cool down. Pushed it a bit hard and my calf is telling me about it today. Longer and slower would have been better but I couldn’t leave the kids by themselves.

Beautiful! Where abouts are you holidaying?

On Waiheke. My sister has a bach at Onetangi. Home today ☹️

Nice! never actutally been to Waiheke, but then living where we are, our holidays are to the city lol
  • Azercord
    Azercord Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    @MegaMooseEsq @7lenny7 I was dong about the same volume when I broke my foot and I had long runs that passed the 20 mile mark every other week. While my volume was a bit more then if you break it down for the most part it was just more condensed (I ran at max 4 days a week).

While I don't have a race in mind at the moment I was eyeballing a 50k race out this direction before the break and now my brain is wondering if it can be done off this pattern.

I will also be working on extending out my Saturday run as I get used to this load but I doubt it will go much past the 10 mile mark.
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,489 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    Azercord wrote: »
    @MegaMooseEsq @7lenny7 I was dong about the same volume when I broke my foot and I had long runs that passed the 20 mile mark every other week. While my volume was a bit more then if you break it down for the most part it was just more condensed (I ran at max 4 days a week).

While I don't have a race in mind at the moment I was eyeballing a 50k race out this direction before the break and now my brain is wondering if it can be done off this pattern.

I will also be working on extending out my Saturday run as I get used to this load but I doubt it will go much past the 10 mile mark.

@Azercord There's going to be tissue breakdown on a 50K and going from a long run of 6 miles to a race of 31 miles, it's going to be a greater amount than if you were going from 20m to 32m.

I'm clearly no expert, but my understanding is that you can run a 50K on low volume training, but you need to do three things. Get in your long runs, have one quality workout every week, such as hill repeats, and spend some time with strength training. After that, just get in as many miles as you can.

Of course, you can always just go for it if you trust yourself to pull out if you reach the point of impending injury.
  • 7lenny7
    Options
    @Azercord this was the article I was reading yesterday. There's some great advice here and I think it might be of use to you.
    https://trailrunnermag.com/training/trail-tips/4-tips-for-busy-runners-training-for-an-ultramarathon.html
  • Azercord
    Azercord Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    @7lenny7 Thanks for the article. From the sounds of things I will just need to extend out my long run and hit the trails for hills. Beyond that I'm pretty covered (I'm a lifter with a running problem so I strength train heavy 3 times a week) although the 50k in February is probably out.
  • 7lenny7
    Options
    @Azercord I agree, I think you should be fine with that approach. Training heavy 3x per week will be a huge help. Last training cycle I added more focused hill training. This training cycle I want to incorporate more speed work to increase my running economy. Next training cycle I want to incorporate strong lifts or something like that. The gym I'd go to is just a mile and half away so running there and back would make for good bookends for lifting.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    Kimtrooper wrote: »
    Think I’m 39/50. Missed the park run so added that onto this weeks mileage. It’s still a heatwave so some runs turned into walks but meh it’s still mileage.

Last night it was 31C/87.8F overnight and set a new record today in Adelaide of 46.6C/115.8F
    Hottest city in Australia today 👍🥵

Not ideal running temperature for this little turtle 🐢🏃🏼‍♀️

Rather looking forward to heading to Finland in 2.5 weeks for a cool change 😎

:smiley:@Kimtrooper Finland, brilliant!!! It was 42C here and I was consoling myself that at least we didn't have it as bad as Adelaide. Such a hot night! The coolest it got here was 25C this morning when I went for a gentle run to attempt to acclimatise before heading to Queensland soon.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    7lenny7 wrote: »
    Orphia wrote: »
    7lenny7 wrote: »
    Orphia wrote: »
    @7lenny7 How's the repaired toe tendon while running and the next day?

@Orphia thanks for asking!

My tendon is doing pretty good, I think. During my first couple of runs there was enough pain that I thought about scheduling a visit with the surgeon, just to make sure it wasn't unusual. The pain seem to be in the spot of the initial rupture, not at the repair, which is about 2 cm further down the foot. The amount of pain, and the frequency with which I feel it, has been decreasing, however, so I'm not as concerned. Last night I went for a 7 mile run and felt it a few times in the first mile or two, then maybe a couple of times during the rest of my run. My theory is that it's random adhesions which are coming loose as I run. I may try doing some targeted massage of that area.

The bigger issue has been a tightness of the tendon on the inside of my foot, going from the lower leg to the inside of my heel bone. A longer warm up seems to help, and foam rolling my hamstring and calf seem to help, I just need to remember to actually do it.

Call me a worrier (I am) but I'm concerned you can't feel it because you're running a lot and the happy hormones are masking the pain. #beentheredonethat

That's why I was also wondering how it is on your rest days, and how many of those you have.

@Orphia , I waited to respond to see how I felt today. I didn't remember any more pains or aches on previous rest days, but wanted to mindfully take stock today. Today there's no more pain or tightness than I had yesterday while running. I'd say the heel tightness is minimal when I'm not running, but I can feel it here and there. The tendon repair area...about the same level and frequency as when running. Comes and goes and it's only a momentary discomfort. In the moment it's there, I'd rate it a 2 or 3 on a 10 point scale.

That's not bad as far as pain goes, and considering the Training Age of your new tendon is back to 0.

What's your plan? To keep running the same volume and see if it goes away?