WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR MAY 2019

Options

Replies

• pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,533 Member
    Options
    auntiebk wrote: »
    Yesterday soft Spring day but windy. Called Ray's caregiver instead of widowed friend. Now I must decide if, and if so, how best, to help him. Did rest except the last half hour of dog group. Knee tired and the wind was exhausting.
    Today I will prep for the final roofer visit and pick 2: make brown rice, play "foot with Tumble", get trip info to Denise, work on minutes, continue weeding around the raised bed, walk Tumble to cistern or call recently widowed friend.

pip hooray for vacation. So glad you're getting a little break from work. What was the story behind the Amazon Customer Service plank?

Finally updated the daily stats, time for a stronger finish. ;}

Lighter, lovelies!
    f8qt1s098sxm.gifBarbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie AHMOD
    walk one more step 12/31, 60 g protein 19/31, rx/vits 18/31, meditate 1/31, knee exercises 5/31, SWSY 0/9, play with Tumble 10/31, hang up or purge art 0/4 AF 15/31.
    Word for 2019: "GOOD" good attitude, good food, good times, good choices, good enough, feel good, GOOD! Word for May "pause" Thank you Barbie!

I used to work at amazon as a cs rep in their call center when the company was around 5 yrs old. I was there for 6years. I thought that was cool, it has the old amazon logo, before it was a smiley face. those were business cards that they gave us. I still have it
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,198 Member
    edited May 2019
    Options
    The friend who has been doing most of the organising obtained permission to post Ros's two boys' addresses. Ros has a young grandson by one of them. I went out and bought two cards with her initials woven into roses and wrote in them and got them posted. She was a 'tiger mother' with her boys. They are both really handsome and have shaken down into lovely men. I well remember the number of times she was up to their school fighting their corner. Hard being the single mother, in London, of two black boys and keeping them out of gangs and trouble. Often it exhausted her, but she did a great job and she was proud of them.

Earlier I went out to vote with DH in the European elections. They may not even get to sit. Don’t ask! We live in a crazy country at the moment. Most people will be registering a protest vote whichever side they are on.
    Then we shopped for general groceries and then set out for the fish market shop. Bought fish soup, blinis and faux caviar, wild boar chorizo and a big wild sea bass. We will have the sea bass on Monday, a Bank Holiday. Fish soup tomorrow. I do eat a lot of fish, don't I !. :o:o Today was smoked salmon pasta. :D

I do feel glad to be alive. Very conscious of that.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxx
  • Vickil57
    Vickil57 Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    Machka--Do they not realize a brian injury is not like a broke leg or arm? I would of lost it along time ago with these people.

Heather--Hugs and prayers for you and dear friend. No matter how much we think we are ready, we never are ready to say goodbye. I agree the Red dress is a good choice for today.

Another rainy day. Blessings, Vicki GI NE <3
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,047 Member
    Options
    Connie so sorry about your uncle. :heart:
  • Snowflake1968
    Snowflake1968 Posts: 6,732 Member
    Options
    Machka - If anyone needs to shut off and not depended on for a while I think it's you. I hope you get a few days in June to shut off.

Barbara - I am so blessed to have the MIL I have, she and I have always gotten along, only ever had one set to and it really was both of us wanting what we thought best for my sick daughter. We used to have a long running joke in the family that if Rodger and I ever divorced I would get his parents in the settlement. She is going to come before the wedding so that she can be here for some of the festivities. She is also being put to work and helping make some cookies for the cookie bar. She will be leaving a couple of days before my best friend though so that my friend and I get some quality alone time after the wedding.
    My Mom came once for a month, it was a long month because she was homesick for my nephew and her everyday routine. I never felt like I could do enough to keep her happy and content, she enjoyed her visit, but was happy to get home I think.
    My Granddaughter is sitting on my lap while I'm typing, she thinks your little dog is a Lego dog.

We kept Michaela last night so that it made it an easier morning for her Mother to get Jonah to school and work. I wanted to make it special for her since we don't have a day alone very often so we went out for a McDonald's breakfast and then bought some flowers to plant. We cleaned up the flower bed and planted our new plants and then put some in pots. Hopefully they all survive the summer. I have a plant in the house that I want to get planted outside, I just need to figure out when is the best time to do it. I am not a gardener and don't even know what kind of plant it is. It is a green leaf with pink spots on it. It has bloomed a couple of times.

We are making a pizza now for lunch and when we are done with that we will have to go pick Jonah up from school.

Tracey in Edmonton
  • 1948Peachy
    1948Peachy Posts: 1,511 Member
    Options
    B)
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,198 Member
    Options
    Tracey - We are having Bea tomorrow morning so DDIL can get packing for their holiday in Majorca. They have to leave early on Saturday. I offered. We will get up extra early to get some exercising done before she arrives. I really love having one grandchild at a time and I know they love it too. :D<3

Heather UK xxxxxxx
  • pipcd34
    Options
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    edited May 2019
    Options
    Pip Scary, so glad you are OK! :#

________

Today is #WorldTurtleDay! It was started in 2000 by American Tortoise Rescue. It is to encourage humans to help all kinds of turtles survive and thrive. My mother, son, and I were fortunate to see (up close!) the giant tortoises on the Galapagos Islands in 1990. They are magnificent.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zagS4txsLDc
  • coastalgosgal
    coastalgosgal Posts: 2,900 Member
    Options
    Oh wow PIP!!! Thank God for strangers!! So sorry that happened!
    💖Rebecca
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,843 Member
    edited May 2019
    Options
    Vickil57 wrote: »
    Machka--Do they not realize a brian injury is not like a broke leg or arm? I would of lost it along time ago with these people.

No, they really don't.

More info about RTW people and brain injury ...

The RTW people are a private organisation whose job it is to help people return to work. They've been hired by the insurance company. Part of the problem is that just about everyone in this private organisation looks to be under 30. It looks to be the first place newly graduated Occupational Therapists etc. go to get a few years of work experience before getting into a hospital or something. In itself, that's not a problem ... young people are fine, places that hire new graduates are fine, and in most cases they can probably do the job.

If someone breaks an arm, they can line up some physiotherapy and liaise with the person's employer to obtain "suitable duties" that a person could do with one arm. 8 weeks later, the cast comes off and the person is back to whatever they used to do. There might also be an element of work safety or ergonomics to ensure the situation doesn't happen again.

My husband's RTW girl has experience working with sheep shearers who have back issues and who need to get into jobs where they can sit or stand upright. Again, it's a matter of lining up some physiotherapy, maybe a little retraining, and putting them in touch with possible employers ... and off they go.

But it would appear that brain injury is a completely new area for all these people ... and that's a problem.

One of the "features" of brain injury is debilitating fatigue. It frustrates my husband terribly because he wants to be able to do more and not get fatigued. He starts doing something in the morning, after about 9 hours of sleep, and it's going well but then he's knackered for the afternoon and has to sleep for 1-3 hours. We have to schedule in rest times and I've become pretty good at organising things so that he had a rest day after a busy day or a rest afternoon after a busy morning. If I don't do that ... if I push him a bit too far ... there's a massive meltdown because his brain just can't handle it. He may gradually improve so that he is less affected by the fatigue ... or he may not. His brain injury is permanent. His fatigue could be too. I hope his energy does increase but we just don't know.

But the RTW people don't get that. I've heard, "everyone gets tired sometimes". "once he gets back to work fulltime he won't feel tired anymore". "he'll just have to get over it". "I'll have a talk with him and he'll get over it".

We are talking to various people who have a lot more experience and authority who may be able to help. I've got a 'team' waiting in the wings. :)

M in Oz

• pipcd34
    Options
    Ooo
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,337 Member
    Options
    Did Kathy Smith Ultimate Sculpt DVD. The plan for tomorrow is to do a Reebok Cardio Tone DVD

Mary – tell me how hard maintenance is. I wish I had some pearls of wisdom for you but, alas, I don’t. I usually watch what I eat.

M – Michele LeGrand is a famous pianist. I’m not sure if he has an “e” at the end of his name, tho

Pip – any special plans for your vacation? Have a great time. I don’t like potato salad. Sure was great that stranger was there for you

KJ – love the book

Connie in KY – so sorry for your loss

Linda – always so great to see you. Come by more often

Drkatie – great news on those tests. Regardless of what the doc says, you are doing great

Went in the pool, now working on Denise’s Diamond Dotz. It’s going pretty quick. Went in the spa a bit. Need to take a shower.

Michele in NC where it’s expected to get in the 90’s
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,907 Member
    Options
    :) I just started reading "Atomic Habits--An Easy & Proven Way to Build Good Habits & Break Bad Ones" by James Clear. So far he is making the case that making small changes over time can yield great results. That's something that most of us have learned from each other on this thread. When I started on MFP, someone told me to "take baby steps". That advice has served me well.

:) Life here has been going well especially since I started spreading fine bark in my yard.

<3 Barbie in NW WA
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,843 Member
    edited May 2019
    Options
    LisaInAR wrote: »
    exermom wrote: »
    Julie – wouldn’t it be great if you could search for posts from a certain person? So many times I’ve wanted to do that, it IS daunting to search all the posts just to find the one you are looking for especially if you know who made the post
    Michele in NC

Michele in NC - There is a way to search if you're on your computer. At the top and at the bottom of every page of posts, there is a little magnifying glass, off to the right-hand side of the numbered page links. Select it, and put in a name, or a specific word from the post (if it's a fairly unique word or phrase, even better), and it will pop up selections of posts with the dates, and hopefully one will have what you're looking for. You can use the person's signature or username if you remember it to pinpoint a specific person's posts.

Love y'all,
    Lisa in AR

You can also use the main search feature and search by a person's name. If I do this, I open a second instance of MFP so that I've got this thread, or whatever other thread, open in one instance ... and my search open in the second instance.

:smile: If you're looking for something in this thread, you'd want to choose Motivation and Support as the category to narrow the search.

5n2wacx60bnk.png

:smile: You could also add something in the Title or Search fields.

igofg45huui1.png

:smile: If you have an idea of when it might have been posted, you can use Date Within to narrow things as well.

u6ydx0yzgii7.png

Machka in Oz