For the love of Produce...

Replies

• purplefizzy
    purplefizzy Posts: 594 Member
    PAPYRUS3 wrote: »
    List of Crop Plants Pollinated by Bees
    Huge list of awesome here
    Almost half of bee colonies in the US have collapsed! Pesticides seem to be the main reason...organic produce is the way to go I'm thinking.

Critical little buzzers.
    Haven’t planted for them yet but did plant milkweek for the monarchs!

If I had a garden, I'd be planting for them too:))
    and instigating that bee hive like @psychod787 proposed....

Can you all imagine a life without veggies? :o

Nooooooo.....
    Shudder @ the thought.

FM today, giant heads of cauliflower, 2/$5.

Splurged on a fun new thing- basil seeds, from a local company, two super darling young brothers. Nice guys, so excited for them - and on amazon! Zen Basil - Edible Basil Seeds, Raw Premium USDA Organic, 14 oz bag (390 grams) (1) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07C7PVBL1/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_7NNoDbVC31VYE

I’m planning on making a ‘pudding’ with them (ala chia seeds). Almond milk, I’ll likely use a tiny bit of raw date sugar, bourbon vanilla.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    I tried a formed type of TVP for dinner tonight and I liked it a lot, ended up accidentally vegan. I'd roasted the acorn squash earlier in the week, so threw it in a pan with the kale and a little oil and salt and pepper and let that do its thing. I did some sliced leeks with garlic and then threw in the "chicken" pieces, salt and pepper, and then a last minute sauce made of a spoon of cashew cream (soaked cashews liquidized with water), a spot of almond milk and a couple spoons of nutritional yeast.

1cdtpp8p2lc7.jpeg

• Evamutt
    Evamutt Posts: 2,312 Member
    All your posts look/sound so yummy & give me ideas to make so thank you, It's too hot to take much time cooking here in the summer so I make me & husband green juice from all kinds of veggies (has a little fruit in it too) & we drink that to get all our veggies but I love to cook in cooler weather. I do have 4 fresh cucumber waiting for past 4 days for me to make cucumber salad, will try in the morning. @purplefizzy I saw in another post that you live in Bay Area, I grew up there & moved to central valley, last weekend it was 108!
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    edited August 2019
    This was shared with me today and I am totally going to try it! Might sub out the rice.

https://www.ilovevegan.com/korean-potato-bowl-al-gamja-jorim/
  • purplefizzy
    Evamutt wrote: »
    All your posts look/sound so yummy & give me ideas to make so thank you, It's too hot to take much time cooking here in the summer so I make me & husband green juice from all kinds of veggies (has a little fruit in it too) & we drink that to get all our veggies but I love to cook in cooler weather. I do have 4 fresh cucumber waiting for past 4 days for me to make cucumber salad, will try in the morning. @purplefizzy I saw in another post that you live in Bay Area, I grew up there & moved to central valley, last weekend it was 108!

I’m melting just thinking about it!
    I actually appreciate the heat, it’s good for training In because it creates a stressor that helps prep for altitude... but there is a limit and I feel very strange running in 100* weather when everyone sane seems to be locked inside... it’s eerily quiet out on those days.

• purplefizzy
    just_Tomek wrote: »
    Some crazy guy placed a Lebanese spiced pulled chicken wrapped in a pita bread in the middle of my fattoush salad hehe. Ohhh and the wrap was grilled I noticed.

ymb0jxf95x9w.jpg

Soo PBnjealous over that.
    I’m eating a hacked meal of half micro-half roasted cauliflower and squash, smothered in cottage cheese, with avocado and my green crack sauce (a hybrid herby vinegar shallot blend.)
    Completely inelegant, and because I’m a straight heathen I’ll be eating it out of a trough, likely drop some on myself, and then the dog will hunt for the fallen bits.

Gawd I’m straight glam, but waaaay to tired to care.
  • Evamutt
    Evamutt Posts: 2,312 Member
    ikl8q4kv2qji.jpg
    I finally made the cucumber salad , my mom used to make it. I use non fat greek yogurt instead of sour cream. It has that & white vinegar, water & lots of garlic
  • purplefizzy
    Made counter pickles!
    Not sure how will turn out, but dead easy.
    Inspired by the raw Sonoma Brinery Manhattan Style pickles from Trader Joe’s.
  • purplefizzy
    acpgee wrote: »
    The harvested fava shoots for tonight's stir fry.
    ofoumcglxnn0.jpeg

Look amazing.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,602 Member
    Summer treats.
    gldumdqk3izk.jpeg
    rz9q8xih7kao.jpg

• acpgee
    Apologies for messy looking asparagus. We used the leftover lemon butter from the dip for steamed artichoke to toss the asparagus in, prior to roasting. Didn't bother to clean the dishes we tossed the raw asparagus in which were re-used to serve.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Yum.

(I never do photos since I'm sure they'd all look messy or otherwise not properly styled or photo worthy!)
  • PAPYRUS3
    PAPYRUS3 Posts: 13,259 Member
    m0bs0tkcngjg.jpg
    ....a little carried away today shopping...it's all for me too lol!
    (I have no idea why the broccoli looks like it has white 'powder' on top?)
  • purplefizzy
    m0bs0tkcngjg.jpg

So relate. I binge/buy produce then race the clock in a fun game called ‘eat att of the things or preserve all of the things before they spoil!’

Keeps me on my toes.

• PAPYRUS3
    PAPYRUS3 Posts: 13,259 Member
    just_Tomek wrote: »
    m0bs0tkcngjg.jpg

You are safe here. Everything I see here with exception of mushrooms will keep in the fridge for couple weeks. Many meals can be had here. I would have a load of fun with this basket haha. Good call on buying proper garlic and not the *kitten* Chinese stuff that tastes vile. Next time buy couple more heads and roast them as you roast your veggies and make into dressing.
    Tip..... take the mushrooms out of those plastic tubs and place into a paper bag. They will keep much longer.

Thanks for the 'support'...lol!

I plan on using the mushrooms in many dishes in the very near future...starting with a mushroom/egg omelette for breakfast...paper bag already instigated too:)

Oh, and I actually did purchase more than the one head of garlic (4 actually...just can't see them) with that idea of roasting in mind...along with a few more of the onions(that you can't see either). Nothing beats roasting...noms
  • acpgee
    lg013 wrote: »

Too much butter in it has always made me feel sick. You just have to whisk it constantly when heating up to avoid a scrambled egg effect. It will thicken up a bit more, but if it’s too think simply add a tiny (less than teaspoon) of water in and mix...keep adding water to get it to the consistency you want.

I used the technique of @Ig013 to made hollandaise in a ceramic bowl over a saucepan of simmering water on the stove and it was pretty easy. Less cleanup than the the blender method. I melted the butter in the microwave and used 45 g butter with the juice from three quarters of a lemon (that's what I had lying around), a splash of white wine and a shot of green tabasco and whisked in one egg yolk. It was a little bit too acidic for my taste so next time will use less lemon. Will also make it in a bigger bowl next time because manipulting a hot bowl to distribute sauce between little individual serving dishes was fiddly.

Hooray for artichoke season. I also discovered there is no point in cutting off the top third of the artichoke (as most recipes specify) if your steaming vessel is big enough to fit the whole artichokes.

lal9gf3i7zhq.jpeg

• Wow your produce game is strong💪🏻🌱 I definitely need to try new produce. I just love my favorites that I don’t venture much lol