WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR AUGUST 2019

Replies

• klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Machka & Rori. Love the de-stress list. Really comprehensive!

I might add:

—Prayer
    —measured breathing exercises
    —do something habitual in a different way, brush your hair with your less dominant hair, drive a different way to work and notice things that are different
    —Surprise someone with a kind word or gesture

NYKAREN
  • Workoutahloic50
    Workoutahloic50 Posts: 384 Member
    Karen-Thank you so much.Im glad your colonoscopy is over and hope the polyps are benign.Your coleus is beautiful.I have several planted as well.Snapdragons,dusty miller,zinnias and annual dahlia.
    Debby In Va
  • Workoutahloic50
    Workoutahloic50 Posts: 384 Member
    Amber-you Do have your hands Full and I truly feel for you.I almost imagine jr is almost like my having Aj with me,at home and work.
    Debby In Ba
  • JRsLateInLifeMom
    JRsLateInLifeMom Posts: 2,275 Member
    Debby- It sure is! I’m not as fast as I once was but at least I have wisdom. Of course wisdom doesn’t help one to sprint fast enough lol 😂

Amber Tx
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,492 Member
    fbxr2u0vxfxs.jpeg
  • trucker743
    trucker743 Posts: 393 Member
    “Debby- It sure is! I’m not as fast as I once was but at least I have wisdom. Of course wisdom doesn’t help one to sprint fast enough lol 😂

Amber Tx

Doesn’t help one to fly, either!

Sharon in Seattle
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,492 Member
    stats for the day:

day 18 (mon-fri)
    no gym workout

bike ride hm 2 gym- 6.40min, 14amph, 139mhr, 1.55mi= 77c
    apple watch- 67c
    bike ride gym 2 sumn station- 49.05min, 14.5amph, 148mhr, 11.83mi= 507c
    apple watch- 449c
    jog station 2 wrk- 4.48min, 145mhr, 9.36min mi, .50mi= 65c
    apple watch- 58c
    jog wrk 2 sta- 4.27min, 9.48min mi, 148mhr, .45mi= 63c
    apple watch- 69c
    bike ride dome 2 hm- 17.15min, 8.7amph, 151mhr, 2.50mi= 191c
    apple watch- 139c

total cal 903
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Debby in VA Pretty. I love snapdragons. I used to play with them as a kid. :)
  • drkatiebug
    drkatiebug Posts: 1,938 Member
    Sharon, I have a green smoothie every single day. I usually have mine for lunch, but sometimes I have it for breakfast or dinner if I have lunch plans.

I start with a cup of almond or coconut milk. I measure that so pour it in first. Then I add:
    1/2 frozen banana for creaminess and sweetness
    A huge handful of greens - I usually use organic power greens
    A serving of vegetable based protein flavor. I like Tone it Up or Orgain. Mine is flavored.
    1 cup of fruit - any kind, fresh or frozen
    1 tbsp chia seeds for fiber

That’s my basic, but sometimes I mix it up. For example, I might double the banana, use chocolate protein powder and add pb2. If I’m totally in a green mood, I might add avocado, cucumber, and use an apple. I have coconut flavored protein powder to use with frozen pineapple for pina colada. You are absolutely right in that a recipe per se is not necessary.

It is amazing, but a smoothie a day will conquer your craving for sugary junk.
  • JRsLateInLifeMom
    JRsLateInLifeMom Posts: 2,275 Member
    https://youtu.be/Q8c0yFBfqoE
    The sweet kid with Autism has made it to the finals! Woohoo 🎉

Amber Tx
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,326 Member
    Did Amy Dixon’s Give me 10 DVD. The plan for tomorrow is to do Gilad’s Quick Fix Body Sculpting DVD.

Yesterday Jess said to me “you should do some squats, get more of a butt”. I am not 30 or 40 any more. To me, a lot of her problem is the food she eats. We went out to dinner last night, I had the grilled chicken, broccolini, and a baked potato. Only water to drink. She had wings in barbecue sauce and a beer. Well, I’m not going to say anything. When she’s ready, she’ll be ready. Actually, I wasn’t crazy at all about the service we received there and it showed in my tip. Normally, I’m a big tipper. But we were seated at a table that wasn’t clean, the seats weren’t cleaned (I thought to myself “even at the soup kitchen we clean the tables and chairs before someone else sits down”), the waitress never once came back to ask if everything was OK or if we needed something more. I was VERY VERY surprised how long it took for them to clean off the table next to us. But they were quite fast to pick up the signed receipt to pay for the meal.

Luci – where in NC are you? We are at the foothills of the mountains. Congrats on the December event (and I’m not talking about Christmas, either)

Karen in VA – glad the colonoscopy is over. So now you’re on the 5 year plan, huh?

Katla – I, too, hope your husband gets relief

Vicki – how right you are that not a lot of places give customer service. But sometimes you do find some.

Went to the Newcomer general meeting, I thought it was interesting but since I’m second generation Polish I really couldn’t relate too much. It was about the Orphan Train. Afterwards, went to Sears, my vacuum cleaner bags FINALLY came in. One was cut so I got credit for it. Then bought an outfit for PJ. Not that he needs any more clothes, but I got $10 off. Need to call Sears tomorrow because every time I go to use these rewards, I always have a problem. Went to ceramics tonight. My Sleepy should be fired and ready for me to pick up Monday, Bashful is almost done and will probably start working on Happy. Not sure what I’ll do next – Pookey Snail or the turtle. I am getting a bit tired of seeing that turtle in the house.

Colby went back today. Wish he’d had some pizza before he left. Maybe he didn’t want any.

Meg – hope you get hot water real soon

Michele in NC
  • coastalgosgal
    coastalgosgal Posts: 2,900 Member
    edited August 2019
    Katla49 wrote: »
    Rori: It is wonderful that you were able to connect with Meg. You both look fabulous and happy. :bigsmile:

Rebecca: Your son’s “scooter” looks like a real motorcycle to my untrained eyes. Beautiful work! :flowerforyou:

Machka: Guessing last names, Smith and Jones. :wink:

Allie: Sorry that your plant fell and the pot broke. Let us know what you decide to do. :star:

KJ: Thanks for your good wishes for DH. He’s scheduled to have a consultation with the surgeon and then they’ll set a date. I am hopeful that he will be feeling better before too long. :flowerforyou:

Beth: Your story about your DH’s back problem gives me hope. I am glad he’s doing so much better. I hope my DH will do as well as yours has done. :star:

I had trouble sleeping last night so I sat down at my computer and cleared out my gmail messages. I am somewhat embarrassed at the number of messages I had missed. Now I have a relatively blank slate. Yay!!! Yoga this morning at 8 am, an hour from now. I am dressed and ready to go. I have time for breakfast with DH.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

Katla, It is a real scooter. He puts on his helmet and zooms away!
    💖Rebecca
  • suebdew
    suebdew Posts: 1,330 Member
    Teri- love your poem, you are very talented.
    Debby- sending prayers for your daughter and grandchild. Glad she is safe and getting some rest tonight.
    Too hot to do anything. I couldn’t sleep last night either. We should have face timed. Lol.
    Getting late.
    SueBDew in TX.
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    :)
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,799 Member
    edited August 2019
    Updated with suggestions. :)

1. Go outside. Fresh air and nature have been shown to reduce stress and anxiety. Get some sun. Vitamin D is a powerful mood booster. Stop and smell the roses or admire the camellias.

2. Exercise.
    • If you sit a lot, stand up once an hour.
    • Keep exercise bands next to your favourite chair and use when you watch television.
    • Stretch to relax your body and mind.
    • Try progressive muscle relaxation to feel relaxed from head to toe.
    • Take a walk during your lunch break.
    • Walk as part of your commute.
    • Set up exercise equipment at home to be able to get a bit of exercise.

3. Get more sleep.
    • Dim the lights about an hour before bed
    • Sleep mask
    • Headband
    • Earplugs
    • Separated beds
    • Hot water bottle
    • Nice new pjs
    • Lavender

4. Read, Write, Talk, Listen.
    • Read a book. Even just a little bit on weekends before bed. Books can be a good escape. Short stories are great if you’re especially busy.
    • Talk it out. Sharing your stress with a therapist or loved one can be very therapeutic.
    • Pray.
    • Try guided meditations.
    • Write it down! Some people like to keep a journal in general and/or a gratitude journal. List 5 things you are grateful for each day.
    • Listen to music while commuting or working. The right playlist can boost mood and increase energy.
    • Look at pictures such as cats and other cute animals or great scenery. Set up the wallpaper on your computer to scroll through inspiring photos. Put up some pictures at home or in your office.
    • Do a Crossword Puzzle or Sudoku. Brain games that require lots of concentration can help take our mind off whatever’s worrying us and give us a sense of accomplishment.

5. Prepare.
    • One thing at a time.
    • Write it down so you don’t forget. Use calendars.
    • List of to do and list of done. List of things done shows how much you have accomplished.
    • Stop procrastinating. It’ll just make you more stressed later.
    • Simplify and declutter - a little bit at a time.
    • Get someone else to do it if you can. Order groceries online and have them delivered. Hire someone to mow the lawn, clean the house, do the windows, etc.
    • Prepare for morning the night before.
    • Avoid tight fitting and scratchy clothes.

6. Relax.
    • Rub your feet over a golf ball or other textured ball. You can get an impromptu relaxing foot massage by rubbing your feet back and forth over a golf ball.
    • Drip cold water on your wrists. When stress hits, head for the bathroom and drop some cold water on your wrists and behind your earlobes. There are major arteries right underneath the skin, so cooling these areas can help calm the whole body. Good for calming hot flashes too.
    • Do a few stretching exercises.
    • Take a break from computers and social media for a day or two. Give your eyes a rest.
    • Try some deep-breathing and progressive relaxation exercises throughout your day. Even just for 30 seconds.
    • Be Alone. Not everyone can get to a cabin the woods or empty beach (as nice as that would be!), but five minutes of quiet alone time can help you collect your thoughts and clear your head.
    • Try a diffuser and different scents/oils. Aromatherapy can be an effective stress-reliever.

7. Food & drink.
    • Drink green tea. It contains an amino acid that can reduce stress.
    • Drink your favourite teas, but don’t drink caffeine after 5 pm. A flavoured chamomile is relaxing.
    • Eat some antioxidant-rich dark chocolate to lower stress hormones in your body. Honey and mangoes are also supposed to be stress-relieving foods.
    • Get more omega-3’s from sources like salmon and avocado. They can reduce stress and anxiety for people who like them.
    • Prior to going to bed, sip 4 oz of tart cherry juice to enhance sleep. It is naturally rich in melatonin.
    • Bake something nice … like lava cake which takes about 30 min to make in total.

8. Pamper yourself: get a haircut, dye your hair, do your nails, try a new makeup.

9. Do something habitual in a different way, brush your hair with your less dominant hair, drive a different way to work and notice things that are different.

10. Pet or play with an animal.

11. Surprise someone with a kind word or gesture.

12. Hug someone. Studies show physical intimacy is a great coping mechanism.

13. Laugh. Read cartoons or a funny story. Put on a funny movie or sitcom.

14. Change the channel. Look at things from a different perspective.

15. Stand up for yourself. Sometimes we need to put our foot down and say, “I’m doing this for me.”

Machka in Oz
  • cmsavells
    cmsavells Posts: 257 Member
    Machka-I love the list, especially the deep breathing and music. My friend, a pianist, made a playlist for me. It just always puts me in the right place.

It’s too hot. I think I’m done with summer!!

Connie in KY