Over 60 still trying

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,721 Member
    @AnnPT77 It was the first! But both are great to bookmark for later!

Thank you!

For the record, they're both in the "Most Helpful Posts" sections, one in the "Getting Started" forum topic, and the other in the "General Health, Fitness and Diet" forum topic . . . along with a bunch of other excellent posts that are very much more worth reading!
  • ourvibrantlife
    ourvibrantlife Posts: 413 Member
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    @AnnPT77 It was the first! But both are great to bookmark for later!

Thank you!

For the record, they're both in the "Most Helpful Posts" sections, one in the "Getting Started" forum topic, and the other in the "General Health, Fitness and Diet" forum topic . . . along with a bunch of other excellent posts that are very much more worth reading!

Thank you.. I am looking forward to reading them!!
  • alteredsteve175
    alteredsteve175 Posts: 2,716 Member
    Good morning! Hope y'all are having a good day. Fall is in the air in Idaho. YAY! My favorite season! 🍁
  • annliz23
    annliz23 Posts: 3,193 Member
    Happy Friday everyone!
  • annliz23
    Lost 2lbs this week my knees and hip are feeling a bit better so hoping to exercise a bit more this week!
  • alteredsteve175
    Been getting a walk with the pup every day. That was the plan. Sore hips yesterday, but they feel great today!
  • annliz23
    Been getting a walk with the pup every day. That was the plan. Sore hips yesterday, but they feel great today!

Keep going it gets better!
  • pattyann1750
    pattyann1750 Posts: 5 Member
    Hi everyone.I just started MFP sept 1.My step daughter and son in law have been doing it since july and have lost 20/30#,They are quite the inspiration and have been good mentors.I am 65 and really enjoy this age group thread.So encouraging.I have yoyo'd all my life.Now I just want to loose for health and wellness.I am diabetic on insulin,cirrhosis of the liver (non alcoholic )from fatty liver disease and know my body is not as forgiving as yrs ago.I have lost 8# in first 2 weeks and already decreasing my insulin and feel so much better.I want to loose 20/30 total.I look forward to your post and will contribute as it is such a motivator to have support.I walk 2-3 miles and will increase it as I enjoy it.Thanks for your support and look forward to this journey together.
  • annliz23
    Have a good weekend
  • alteredsteve175
    Have an awesome weekend, y'all! Off to the woods for a little therapy today. 🥾⛰️🌞

• alteredsteve175
    Well done, @pattyann1750. Keep it going! 👍
  • annliz23
    Fantastic @pattyann1750 you can do it!
  • annliz23
    Lost another lb finally after two weeks, I was beginning to think I was stuck!
  • ThisMagicMoment
    ThisMagicMoment Posts: 39 Member
    Thank you for the kind words, Gerald and Ann. I've taken off about 35 pounds since my husband has been gone, and I know he'd be happy for me. I have a long way to go, and find it helpful having a group of people around my age to talk with.
  • Gamliela
    Gamliela Posts: 2,469 Member
    jan110144 wrote: »
    Pamela_Sue wrote: »
    I am curious about something. I am now 60, and asking myself what changes in my mobility, strength, etc. have I noticed since I was ages 40 or 50? I carry good muscle but am not very fit, and need to lose another 50 pounds or so. While I do have more backaches, arthritis in my hands, and some difficulty squatting down (I hyperextended both knees 5 years ago), I just don't see a lot of other physical changes except less flexibility due to my lack of activity.
    Is this typical of aging? What should we expect as we age? I feel fortunate that I have had few injuries in my life, and believe that my body still seems capable of doing more and becoming more fit as I age. I have been doing cardio and stretching, and plan to add some moderate weight training in the coming months (one thing at a time).
    What is your experience with aging and physical changes?

74 and counting. The last year and a half I have really focused on getting back into shape (waited too long to get a knee replacement and really backed off a lot of things for awhile.) With 60 pounds down and consistent exercise I feel better and stronger than I have in years. I try to do a variety of different activities (pool exercise, weights, rowing, walking and daily horseback riding) to achieve and maintain all around fitness. I really think mental attitude more than just years has a LOT to do with how one ages.

In a month and a half I will be out of the 60's. Good to see you here and doing so well.
  • alteredsteve175
    annliz23 wrote: »

Great news, Ann. I know that "stuck" feeling. I've been busy with the pup and not working out as much. Priorities. Need some longer days with more energy. HAHA! :D
  • annliz23
    annliz23 wrote: »

Great news, Ann. I know that "stuck" feeling. I've been busy with the pup and not working out as much. Priorities. Need some longer days with more energy. HAHA! :D

True I am so tired at the moment but never mind I will push on through it.
  • megamom
    megamom Posts: 920 Member
    DickAich wrote: »
    I have been wrestling with some approaches to maintenance and would be interested if anyone is running into the same. Having reached my weight, I would like to maintain while cutting into the body fat %. My gym has an InBody 570 which I have been using for weight and other readings. Trainers tell you to lift more weight to gain more muscle. I want to lose fat weight and that does require that I add muscle. The problem is I have been injuring myself (elbow and knee) by lifting heavy. The worst part is that I don't recover from injury as quickly.

I am thinking about lifting lighter but more reps. It seems it would save the joints but still work the muscles, it just wouldn't stimulate big muscle growth. Any thoughts?

I returned to the gym about 11 months ago and do cardio and a hour and a half of strength training. I am 65 so do lower weights and more reps. I know a lot of older folks who lift to much too fast and end up with injuries that put them of commission for months which I do not want. I am lifting more then when I started but find doing slow and low is better for me at this age. I have muscles, under my sagging skin from losing almost 100 but most important my balance and endurance has really increased. I do the gym 3 to 4 times a week and on the off days walk 3 or 5 miles or ride my bike. I am doing this to get fit and not get shoulder or knee surgery in the future. Good luck.