Options
    😔
    Debby In Va
  • JRsLateInLifeMom
    JRsLateInLifeMom Posts: 2,275 Member
    edited September 2019
    Options
    Debby VA & others needing it big hugs 🤗

Anyone having family troubles if it’s more you stop 🛑 -write what to say for next interaction to start to remold the relationship.If it’s the other person they have to make that decision.

Hard day for many of us. We spent 24hrs convincing a 2yr old that he can’t give up water because pedialyte was in 1 cup once! (To help the car sickness vomiting yesterday).He’s drinking again but were exhausted 😩.

Ate grapes 🍇,strawberries,steak steamed,peas steamed,spinach steamed, tiny potatoes air fryer 15min, cheese 3Tsp y 0cal chipotle Walden dressing served on the potatoes,crystal light peach tea ☕️ today. Not sure what I want later for a night snack got 200cal left. Tired 😴 hearing hubby argue with JR that he can’t fly again. 2 1/2 yrs old hurry up next Birthday 🎂!!!

Amber Tx

Just do your best guys keep trucking even when folks are tossing nails in our roads!
    Daughter moving to new base so got to pull myself together before her 3 or 4am texts y calls about it. She’s always wanted to travel boy does she now.
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,343 Member
    Options
    Rebecca - (((HUG)))

Michele in NC
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,051 Member
    Options
    (((Rebecca)))
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,632 Member
    Options
    Hi Gals,

Heather – I have not see a man called ove, but have read it, and enjoyed it – a bit slow and quirky, but I liked it.

Marianne – even with limited exercise, if I am honest and devoted to logging I find I can lose, I too often am a bit loosey goosey with my logging.

Katiebug – that is a great picture!

Rebecca – You know cause you just told us - you are doing it to have communication with her. My sister is like that too. I have decided for me the heart ache wasn’t worth it, so since I will no longer stir her up and she could not be bothered we don’t communicate. I do wish it was different, but I have learned to accept it, and to accept that it is not my fault, she has to want to be in relationship also.

It was a cool day here, and I delighted in it, I did about 4 hours of yard work in my OWN yard! There are sections that are so so out of control, so I tackled one of those and you really can’t tell – but I can see it. It was such a mess that a 4 foot x 5 foot area took most of the 4 hours… but it is the beginning of a much bigger area, so I do feel like I took the first step.

I am a couple of years from Medicare, I know I have to sign up in time or pay a penalty, does anyone know if that is true for a supplemental policy? I am afraid I will not be able to afford both Medicare and a supplemental. Actually I’m not even sure I can afford Medicare, but will have to do something. I plan on working full time until I am 70, and probably well beyond.

Kim from N. California
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,337 Member
    Options
    Rebecca - <3 HUGS <3

• TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,088 Member
    Options
    Up to date on reading.
    Too tired to make individual comments. I have a full day tomorrow.

Welcome to the new folk.
    (((Hugs) to those who need them.

To everyone else: hang in there!

Asta la vista!
  • drkatiebug
    drkatiebug Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    Thank y’all for the compliments on the picture of me and my granddaughter. I get discouraged when I realize how my progress has slowed down, but I am encouraged that I have come as far as I have.

Michele, My Medicare advantage card came in the mail yesterday. I have the same kind as Carol. Dave has had it for years and we’ve had no problem with doctors for him. I’m looking forward to having the same insurance as he does. Mine was more complicated before.

Amber, you asked me about my son’s measurements as a child. Other than being 25 lbs at 6 months, I don’t remember his measurements standing out in any way. He was pretty average on the height and weight charts until he hit tenth grade. Then he grew to need 30 -36 jeans which had to be special ordered from the mom and pop men’s clothing store (no online shopping back then). The basketball coach asked him why he wasn’t playing and he said because y’all didn’t want me before so I found another sport to play.

• ginnytez
    ginnytez Posts: 1,334 Member
    Options
    I'm within the six month window for Medicare and am still employed and will have a government pension. My understanding is that I can go on line and just sign up for Part A, but don't sign up for the other stuff. Our state pension plan provides money for the add-ons and we are supposed to sign up through them when we actually retire. I believe the Medicare will function like a secondary policy while I am still covered by employer insurance. I plan on working through next year when I hit 66 so I can get the full amount of Social Security. Of course, I won't receive the whole amount due to windfall provisions, but I have full quarters in Social Security so I will take whatever I can get.

Had nice day today. Wanted some new nail polish so instead of driving somewhere I walked to a Dollar Store not far from house. Picked up a couple of things and took a slightly longer walk back. Ended up with a 50 minute walk.

Rebecca-dealing with family members (or anyone) that has other issues going on is very exhausting. I have chosen with some to not let myself be beaten down by them. But we each have to make our decisions on this and it is not a one size fit all.

Time for bed. Hope everyone has a good rest and good start to the week.

Ginny in Ohio
  • suebdew
    suebdew Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    <3
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    Rebecca I've been in the habit of sending generous Amazon gift cards to my oldest brother, who lives on a shoestring. It's the only communication we have - in June for his birthday, and in December for Christmas. Last Christmas he gave me a huge load of crap for verifying his email & giving him a heads up like I usually do. He said I always do that, it's irritating & unecessary, & he has no plans to change his email & yada, yada, yada. So in June I just sent the birthday gift card without my usual heads up & he hasn't redeemed it. Probably in his junk mail & deleted by now. Like Lisa, I have decided it isn't worth it. I won't send anymore gift cards or try to communicate with him as he clearly doesn't welcome it. Sometimes you just have to believe what people are telling you, even if it isn't what you want to hear, or isn't what you want to believe about them.

(((Hugs)))

Kim Usually Medicare part A (Hospital Insurance) is free, and you should sign up for it a couple of months before you turn 65 no matter what. There are several options for adding Part B (Medical Insurance). If your employer provides medical insurance you will not be penalized for delaying applying for Part B until retirement. You have 8 months from the time your employer's insurance ends to sign up for Part B. The premiums are reasonable and there are lots of options that you can mull over when the time comes. It's really easy to sign up for Medicare part A. You can do it from the MySocialSecurity site. I have part A even though I am still employed & covered by my employer's insurance plan. I do not have part B yet.

Karen in Virginia
  • trucker743
    trucker743 Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    Rebecca, that baby is SO precious! And of course she’s a genius! That’s a true shirt!

Lisa, please DO take pride in your accomplishments. I’m delighted that she took the trouble to find your books!

Amber, thanks for the recipe! I love Clamato juice, and treat myself to it now and then. I think if I cut the catsup a bit and lower the amount of avocado a lot it’ll be fine. The ones I have gotten there only have two thin pieces (NOT slices!) on the top. The last time I got it I had half shrimp, half squid. I love the chewiness of the squid!

Vicki GI NE, i DO hope you get your motorcycle license ok! I miss it desperately. It would be the perfect mode of transport down here. All the best in your effort.

Karen in Virginia, im with you all the way in the hope for that child to go to the very best treatment available. Childhood cancers are terrifying and horrible and heartbreaking. I’ve been involved with two kids with it - not any of mine, but one is a close friend of my 3rd DGD. Prayers!

Dandi1986 - Congratulations! “Onederland” is an exciting place to be!

Falling seems to be a”thing” on here lately. Let’s not let this become our new trend, gals!

Bras - I usually wear those cheap kind of stretchy fabric ones that you see at Target or K-Mart. They don’t have aclosure, but they’re not as heavy as a sports bra. They keep me from jiggling, I don’t mind the nipple thing, and they give me just enough lift.

In the 60s I cursed my curly hair. Then the white gals’ versión came along and I wore that. Then I got my job as a Teamster, cut it short for wash and wear, and never looked back. I don’t use anything on it. I just towel dry it, scrunch the crown a bit with my hands and let it dry.

Picture of the beach in Zipolite where I’m staying now.
  • bwcetc
    bwcetc Posts: 2,750 Member
    Options
    Day 2 of no added/processed sugar. My apple never tasted so sweet ...
  • JRsLateInLifeMom
    JRsLateInLifeMom Posts: 2,275 Member
    edited September 2019
    Options
    p2qrif7ky8gg.jpeg
    1g1qnp2hxp9i.jpeg
    j4rthya0osva.jpeg
    Dr Katie bug- Yeah JR was premature birth but by 1 week he started passing up the older babies fast! Still is. At McDonald’s he tried to play with a 4yr old y her 2 1/2yr old brother he was bigger so they got scared ran away from him. He tries so hard too is gentle gets his feelings hurt easily. I just jump in start playing with him he forgets.Worried about Kindergarten they use such small chairs y desks he’s out grown those gets stuck in certain types. (Doctors office had a kids Area he got stuck in a Kindergarten play desk that was the older fashion kind or he sits with 1 butt check off). Hopefully we can find a school willing to a comidate even if it’s a bigger desk next to the others. If he’s sz 6 now by age 4-6who knows if he’ll stop awhile or shoot up. Just got done going through his clothes I kept any smaller ones he can still squeeze into for messy meals y play. They won’t fit in a few months.Passing on the outgrown clothes to my great nefew he’s younger than JR by 6months to a year is in 3-4Ts now. He can wear any 5’s later.

Amber Tx

Night snack sweet kale salad mixed with spinach y glazed pecans y cranberries. A 70cal dryers fudge bar.
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,337 Member
    Options
    Kim - I would highly recommend contacting an insurance agent or broker and ask them your questions about Medicare. I believe there are rules and regs on some of this stuff that might be dependent upon the state and even county you live in.

I started researching all of this several years before I was eligible and the insurance broker was quite helpful - as Barbie suggested.

Medicare.gov may also have some answers.

DH and I each pay $135 per month for Medicare Part A taken out of our monthly Social Security payments. DH was allowed to wait on signing up since he was on my health insurance. When I retired, we both went onto Medicare and I don't believe we paid a penalty for that reason.

For Part B, I recall that we decided against an Advantage plan because of potential problems switching to a Medigap plan - either higher rates or eligibility, I cannot remember which. That was per our insurance agent's information at the time.

We had a choice of several Medigap plans, the less expensive one had higher deductibles and co-pays. We chose a Medigap plan with Regence and have been very happy with it. No co-pays and no deductibles. No bills sent to the house.

Worth it to me to not have to deal with doc and hospital and lab billing dweebs.

Had my fill when I was on the county insurance, lol. Vowed never again. B)

We enrolled in the least expensive Part D Prescription plan to get into the "pool". We haven't used it yet since we get our meds from our medical clinic or GoodRX. But it's there if we need it. Luckily, we don't take costly meds at this time.

Again, this is Washington State. I did some snooping and was amazed at how plans varied within this state and how some weren't even offered to residents of the county I live in. Go figure.

Good luck to you! <3

Lanette
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,544 Member
    Options
    stats for the day:

treadmill jogging- 40min, 147ahr, 158mhr, 6.2-8.0ap, 9.30mmi, 4.21mi= 498c
    appke watch- 471c
    other, 30min, backing up manually airstream- 100c

total cal 598
  • Rho97070
    Rho97070 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Machka9 That site was very informative, thank you. I hadn't seen that one before.

I agree with what you wrote about all the multiple things that go into someone's positive recovery, i.e. fitness, natural desire to learn and do things, friends, etc. and love - lots of love. My son was fortunate to have the same things and lucky his dad was an acupuncturist (he sneaked preforming treatment while I watched at the door for coming health personnel). It would have been unlikely for the hospital to allow it (potential liability issue).

I loved the story about the cards, patting the one with the clock, and asking what time it was. Without the typical mental attention that's displayed by most people, when the lights begin going on TBI patients bystanders like us are exhilarated and amazed that they sometimes find a way to (maybe? IDK) show us that their humor is still intact?

It's bewildering to watch folks with such challenges as your hubby and my son move on with their lives.

After my son got out of the hospital, he went to a lot of therapy appointments - sometimes multiple appointments on the same day. Healing from trauma takes a long time and working hard at anything is apt exhaust. He was pretty much housebound for a long time. Although his closest friends would come by to say "hi" he hadn't been among his extended friend group. That Halloween he decided it was time to mingle. Finding an old wig in his then 7 year old sister's dress up closet, borrowing a dress and stockings from me, he went out eager to joke with everyone that his experience had made him into a "changed man" :blush:

Your husband is one strong, lucky man to be alive, and you're one heck of a strong woman. Your hubby is very lucky to have you by his side! <3<3<3
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,632 Member
    Options
    Hmmm I'll have to do more research, I did not even know there were insurance brokers.. more googling! and since I am self employed what I have is just the absolute cheapest Affordable Care insurance I could find. So far in 4 years I have only used it twice (bee sting and ear infection) except for the items that are free (pap/mammogram/colonoscopy/TB test). But I might need insurance as I get older, I hope not.

Kim in N. California