WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR SEPTEMBER 2019

Replies

• KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Lanette Yes, Josie has a brother Max. Both kids are just great.
  • LisaInAR
    LisaInAR Posts: 2,020 Member
    Allie, no, I withdrew my application. Made my decision to stay and succeed where I am, rather than jump ship, and glad of it.

Rho, thank you. :)

Re: the husbands... Just an idle social observation, worth what what you paid for it... I think most of our husbands develop their social networks largely through us, or not at all. We are their social network, often enough, particularly in our age groups. I truly admire Heather's husband with his cricket pals. My husband simply is not interested in doing more than working, coming home, and then working on our home during the weekends. Once he is retired, then what? I have a feeling I'll be dealing with similar issues...

Later, y'all,
    Lisa in AR
  • lyttlefish
    lyttlefish Posts: 557 Member
    My prayers are with Josephine the Ballerina and family. . What devastating news, hope you have great care and support. Blessings <:)))><
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,126 Member
    Rho - It's called SHE HAS HER MOTHER'S LAUGH by Carl Zimmer. I'm enjoying it immensely. I've read a heap of genetics books, but I've learnt a lot I didn't know before! It's also an easy read.

Bea has just arrived. We stopped exercises early so that we would be ready for 8.45 when they said she would be dropped off, but she didn't get here until 9.30, so we could have finished them. Grrrrrrr!
    Looking forward to a fun day with her. <3

Lisa - My husband is much the same as most men, but he is lucky to have this one good friend at the cricket. I do encourage it as it is so unusual for him. It is mainly due to the friend who reaches out regularly. His other old friends from work days, who live elsewhere, are sorely neglected. I do remind him from time to time. ;) Luckily we have family to broaden his social life, but he is not proactive.
    My grandchildren have been a source of much happiness to him. <3

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx who is about to join in the fun and dance with Bea and DH.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,707 Member
    edited September 2019
    Josephine the Ballerina got her diagnosis - neuroblastoma of the spine (malignant). Her prognosis will depend on the grade of the tumor, which they don't know yet. As of now, they are planning to stay here for treatment rather than go someplace like St Jude, Hopkins, or Boston. :'(

So sorry to hear this and I hope that there's good news regarding the grade of her tumor. Praying.

:(

Machka in Oz
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,707 Member
    edited September 2019
    I think someone asked about low cal snacks ...

I eat things like:

-- single serve crackers & cheese (100 cal)
    -- single serve low cal yogurt (no sugar, no or low fat) (70 cal)
    -- some fruit ... some are high calorie but some are lower, you've got to check.
    -- raw veggies
    -- cottage cheese ... I salt it and eat it with pickles or salted cucumbers. This solved my potato chip cravings.
    -- single serve ice creams. Some are very high calorie, but you might be surprised. Some aren't!

It's really worth it to go to your local grocery store and just browse. Read packages, look at the calorie count. Be sure you're looking at the right calorie count - there's usually one for serving and one for 100 grams.

When I first started with MFP, I walked to a few of my local grocery stores at lunch (local to where I work), and I spent some time just looking at what my options are. I go back now and then to see what's new and what I might have missed before. Because I'm doing it at lunch and don't want to carry a week's worth of groceries on the bus home after work, it is mainly just an investigation trip. But I might pick up one or two small things to try them. :)

I went to work again today and was planning to come home early ... but that didn't happen. It was so busy from the minute I walked in. I've got a massive submission to the fed gov't due at the end of this month so I'm working flat out to get it ready. Fortunately, by the end of the day today, I had several significant portions of it ready to roll. If all goes well, next week, I'll get the rest done.

I did get out for a 2.76 km walk. I had to get out. The temp today hit 27C!!! That's 80F. Absolutely wonderful!! If only it were like that for the next 8 months. It was bliss being able to walk without a jacket.

And now ... the weekend.

M in Oz
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,435 Member
    \\\\
  • KJLaMore
    KJLaMore Posts: 2,820 Member
    <3
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,285 Member
    TGIF ladies! <3

Lisa - all in all, I think it's a good decision to stay where you are. Local museums, if like the one in our town, can be unreliable employers. In the past 5 years ours has gone through divisive board changes, embezzlement by the Executive Director which cleaned out their reserves of $$ thousands, and additional revenue stream cuts. Of course, having a terrific grant writer is exactly what they need.

Machka - loved seeing that Canadian flag photo! Tasmania is the perfect place for you to accomplish all of the outdoor activities you love. I'm curious about your DH's computer use. How involved is he with it - is he able to research topics, be involved in groups which spark his interest (chat) and such? Email friends and relatives?
    As my mom was showing signs of dementia, I often wondered if having access to a computer and doing more interacting and learning might have helped her.

Sinuses cranky this morning. Hoping its allergies and not something contagious.

Lanette
    SW WA State