WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR OCTOBER 2019

Options

Replies

• margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,046 Member
    Options
    Ginny I got PT for knee issues related to tight leg muscles. It helped me. It also helped to be careful with the shoes I wear and that they have arch support. When my knee was at it's worst I did the exercises in a pool and that helped too.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,840 Member
    Options
    Regarding dementia (including Alzheimer’s disease), I just recently came across the information that there is a link between high homocysteine levels and dementia. You can read more about it in this article:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5836397/

This is particularly interesting (and worrying) to me because in conjunction with my genetic disorder MTHFR, I have a naturally high homocysteine level. Since that was discovered (during 2 weeks in hospital with DVT in 2009), I have been on the Vit Bs and Folic Acid and my homocysteine level has come down a bit.

I knew that MTHFR + a high homocysteine level put me at risk for cardiovascular issues, but didn't know it also put me at risk for dementia!

But the reason I came across that information is because I was looking up information on the relationship between brain injury and dementia. The jury is out on that and I image that is because it is very hard to tell.

Is the reason why my husband has shown me around the garden 3 days in a row, each time as though it was my first time seeing it, because of his brain injury ... or is he starting to develop dementia? I'm not even sure the neurologists could tell.

But meanwhile we do what we can ...
    https://www.dementia.org.au/about-dementia/dementia-research/reduction-and-prevention
    https://www.dementia.org.au/information/risk-factors
    https://yourbrainmatters.org.au/5-simple-steps

And the WHO's (World Health Organisation) guidelines on preventing dementia ...
    https://www1.racgp.org.au/newsgp/clinical/who-releases-new-guidelines-on-preventing-dementia

These include:
    • Physical activity
    • Stop smoking
    • Eat a health diet (they suggest a Mediterranean-type diet)
    • Stop drinking alcohol

They also suggest that keeping the brain active, maintaining a "normal" weight, and managing cholesterol and blood pressure, but these seem to be slightly less important than those first four things.

Machka in Oz
  • Machka9
    Options
    ginnytez wrote: »
    Question about taxes --I've read several of you are working on taxes at different times (and I think none of the ones doing that are in the US). I guess I am just so used to us doing ours January - April 15 I never thought about different ways of doing them. Do the other countries just have a different time frame? Does everyone in a given place have the same deadline or does it vary? Just got me curious.

Take care all,

Ginny in Ohio

In Canada the deadline is April 30.

In Australia the deadline is October 31, but they seem to be pretty relaxed about that here. That seems to be a preferred guideline.

So ... I've had my past 6 years taxes done in time for this October 31. :) I'm all caught up for now. :)

M in Oz
  • dandl1986
    dandl1986 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Tuesdays are my weekly check in days. I lost only 1 pound this week, but that was enough to push my over all total to 25.4 lbs lost all together for my 18 weeks. I can definitely see some changes in how my clothes are fitting for sure. And wouldn't you know that just before my daughter's wedding back in April when we needed extra space, I got rid of all my old skinnier clothes. Probably not my best decision. I walked my six miles today, kind of a struggle motivation wise, but got it done. So, for the day today, I had over 300 calories left thanks to a lighter than usual lunch and lots of good walking calories. I need to be doing that more often. Overall, pretty happy with my day. Only two weeks until the new horse, Nemo, arrives. I really want to reach my goal and use riding him as a reward and a new exercise for phase two, but still have 9 pounds to go and I don't know if I can wait that long. Daughter coming home the next two weekends in a row, so that is always good. Doing some tutoring for a second and a third grade which was fun, but I really need to find an official job. That is my biggest stress right now, but gotta admit, I don't think I would be doing as well on my lifestyle changes if I were working. So, always a bright side I guess.
  • cmsavells
    cmsavells Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    kevrit wrote: »
    Matchka thanks for combining all our answers to the hobbies challenge! Interesting variety but a lot of commonality too!

RV Rita enjoying the morning 60’s then afternoon 90’s here at Bottomless Lakes!

It is an interesting variety but with commonality ... and a lot of creativity out there. :)

Future Hobbies: At some point, when I've got some time, I'd like to continue learning languages and piano.

I've got some French and a tiny bit of a few other languages but would really like to become as close to fluent in French as I can ... and I'd like to learn the basics in Mandarin.

Way, way back when I got to Grade 3 piano (Royal Conservatory of Music), but stopped there. I keep thinking I'd like to get a piano and continue.

Machka in Oz

I love languages too. There’s a part of me that wants to learn Russian. Mandarin is fun if you can hear the tones. I think being musical helped...maybe!!

Connie in KY
  • LuciBThinner
    LuciBThinner Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Aggh!!! I was typing away and all of a sudden the page was gone. :s Frustrating! Laptops can be so annoying - lol! (Certainly had nothing to do with how I was holding it when it slipped!)

Thanks for the support on my pain...just got a bit out of hand. Back to my "sane" way of coping. My glasses arrived in the mail today (which I had hoped would solve my vision crisis...no such luck, so back to square one)

Michele Hope all goes well with the bridge...seems like a long time to wait for the appointment! I imagine most of it will be taking impressions. Don't know if you have to have new crown work done depending on how it broke.

Rachel Welcome! and best of luck on the new eating system. Hope it works well for you. Be sure to pay attention to portion size and types of food so you are able to maintain when you stop the program. I've known others who have done really well with that kind of program to get the initial weight off, then they just have to learn to eat the same way when they finish losing.

Alzheimer's Scary how many things can result in the disease, not to mention no particular reason as mentioned earlier. I was diagnosed early onset, which was changed to head injury because it improved (and of course Alzheimer's doesn't improve). It has been a big fear since the injury because my grandmother and Daddy both died from it and there is definitely a genetic link. DH and I have discussed since I am concerned he could end up having to make decisions for me later. Of course, you never know. I could end up caring for him...we will see what God has planned...

Hoping to get some rest tonight! Love the pictures, Lisa!

<3 Luci in WNC
  • Machka9
    Options
    The possibility of one of us having to care for the other is precisely why I'm actively getting our affairs in order.

And for us it's not just a possibility any more.
  • kimfisher62
    kimfisher62 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Interesting reading about the dosctors and mis diagnosis. I was taking medication for migraine but it was getting worse. I also ended up very depressed and struggled to function. A second Dr recognised the peri menopause symptons (i dont have periods due to having womb lining removed) and put me on tibolone. I am back to normal except im left with all the gained weight from the depression.

This leads to my question, is it harder in the 50s to loose weight or is it a myth? I am doing everything i did on WW but the weight loss is so slow or non existent and i give up. I went 30 cal over yesterday so I got my exercise bike out and peddled like mad while watching tele :D

Love autumn (fall) and the colours on the trees and hedgerows. Makes driving to work more enjoyable.

KimUK
  • LisaInAR
    LisaInAR Posts: 2,020 Member
    Options
    VTRebeccaNJ - Welcome to a great group of ladies! We're glad you're here, come back often and share how you're doing at your own comfort level.

I'm not sure who seemed a little shaken to know that Alzheimer's may just be a flip of the coin, but it does seem that way for both Alzheimer's and dementia. None of the experts seem to genuinely know if any of the things that are being touted as "preventing" either one of them are actually working or not.

But for me, that's kind of a motivator. To me, life in general is a throw of the dice, with Machka's husband's traumatic brain injury being a prime example. His life and hers changed in moments, without warning. But... on both sides of that flip of the coin, I'd rather if my husband has to deal with my cheese slipping off my cracker, he won't also be dealing with physical, preventable health issues as well. And if I have to deal with his cheese similarly departing his cracker, I'll need to be healthy, as well.

Part of what I'm fighting is that, by the time my mother was my current age, she'd had two heart attacks and an angioplasty to open up a vein to her heart. She was only 51 when she had her first heart attack. Quite a bit of hers was stress, but part was genetic (her father had a quadruple bypass at 60 years old), and part was probably her diet. She died of a stroke at 72. I hope to avoid all of that, if humanly possible.

Down off my soapbox. Time to get it together and go to the gym...

Love y'all,
    Lisa in AR
  • klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Options
    Sending strength and love Allie

NYKAREN
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,197 Member
    Options
    KimUK - Yes it is harder to lose weight as we age because our muscles deteriorate. Muscles are big calorie burners, so it is important to keep strengthening your muscles. Weight training is a very important part of weight loss. This can be actual weights, or body weight exercises. Core muscles also need to be strengthened as in Pilates, or Yoga. Mary on this thread does kettlebell swings which pretty much cover everything! Cardio is important, but our bones and muscles need constant attention.

I feel like NYKAREN, that the feeling of being fit is worth all the effort and time.

I agree with Lisa, that the roll of the dice is out of our control, but every day fitness and good habits make a huge difference to our quality of life. Apart from that you can only hope ....... plus live life to the full while you can. :D

(((HUGS))) for Allie during this testing time. <3

A new lightweight anorak should be arriving today. My old one let the rain in on Sunday. I calculated it was 18 years old and the waterproofing had perished. :o

Going to walk over to the fish market at some point. Need various bits for DH's birthday tomorrow. But we can't both go out at the same time because of the delivery.

I had a long period of wakefulness last night because I was so excited about the next cruise. :sad: Lost about 3 hours sleep, but I am enjoying my biography of Susan Sontag.
    My stupid little brain is still on the cruise. I'm always like this. :-(

Much love, Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • LisaInAR
    LisaInAR Posts: 2,020 Member
    Options
    Allie... my heart goes out to you. Military funerals are particularly heart-wrenching, and for someone you loved and cared for every day, it's even harder. Keep us in your pocket, dear heart.

Love,
    Lisa in AR
  • suebdew
    suebdew Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    Thinking of you today, Allie.
    SueBDew in TX
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,691 Member
    Options
    Love you ladies xoxox
  • Machka9
    Options
    Review ... (Distances include cycling + walking + a bit of rowing)
    Mar-15 … 489.8 km (304.3 miles) = 38 hours 4 min
    Apr-15 … 491.94 km (305.6 miles) = 43 hours 6 min
    May-15 … 361.81 km (224.8 miles) = 35 hours 50 min
    Jun-15 … 569.53 km (353.9 miles) = 41 hours 53 min
    Jul-15 … 230.7 km (143.35 miles) = 32 hours 45 min
    Aug-15 … 211.3 km (131.3 miles) = 28 hours 8 min
    Sep-15 … 306.7 km (190.6 miles) = 35 hour 2 min
    Oct-15 … 441.82 km (274.5 miles) = 47 hours 43 min
    Nov-15 … 660.21 km (410.23 miles) = 60 hours 41 min
    Dec-15 … 499.91 km (282.8 miles) = 54 hours 56 min
    Jan-16 … 864.79 km (537.35 miles) = 65 hours 36 min
    Feb-16 … 470.53 km (292.4 miles) = 40 hours 39 min
    Mar-16 … 917.73 km (570.2 miles) = 66 hours 13 min
    Apr-16 … 417.83 km (259.6 miles) = 40 hours 23 min
    May-16 … 267.09 km (165.9 miles) = 36 hours 10 min
    Jun-16 … 552.1 km (343 miles) = 54 hours 48 min
    Jul-16 … 709 km (440.5 miles) = 60 hours 41 minutes
    Aug-16 … 775.9 km (482.1 miles) = 54 hours 52 minutes
    Sep-16 … 371.3 km (230.7 miles) = 32 hours 20 min
    Oct-16 … 649 km (403.3 miles) = 49 hours 46 min
    Nov-16 … 403 km (250.4 miles) = 52 hours 16 min
    Dec-16 … 511.05 km (317.55 miles) = 52 hours 2 min
    Jan-17 … 741.9 km (461.0 miles) = 70 hours 3 min
    Feb-17 … 600.5 km (373.1 miles) = 57 hours 30 min
    Mar-17 … 1113.2 km (691.7 miles) = 78 hours 25 min
    Apr-17 … 1181.9 km (734.4 miles) = 76 hours 45 min
    May-17 … 426.6 km (265.1 miles) = 39 hours 21 min
    Jun-17 … 575.7 km (357.7 miles) = 41 hours 53 min
    Jul-17 … 714 km (443.7 miles) = 52 hours 23 min
    Aug-17 … 475.8 km (295.6 miles) = 38 hours 41 min
    Sep-17 … 455.5 km (283 miles) = 41 hours 25 min
    Oct-17 … 647.1 km (402.1 miles) = 57 hours 19 min
    Nov-17 … 427.0 km (265.3 miles) = 50 hours 4 min
    Dec-17 … 553.5 km (343.9 miles) = 52 hours 12 min
    Jan-18 … 590.2 km (366.7 miles) = 57 hours 49 min
    Feb-18 … 826.9 km (513.8 miles) = 57 hours 35 min
    Mar-18 … 582.01 km (361.6 miles) = 50 hours 11 min
    Apr-18 … 176.23 km (109.5 miles) = 29 hours 47 min
    May -18 … 167.6 km (104.1 miles) = 29 hours 08 min
    June-18 … 349.9 km (217.4 miles) = 36 hours 58 minutes
    July-18 ... 324.2 km (201.5 miles) = 24 hours 26 minutes
    Aug-18 ... 210.1 km (130.6 miles) = 25 hours 59 minutes
    Sep-18 ... 261.7 km (162.6 miles) = 25 hours 11 minutes
    Oct-18 ... 230.8 km (143.4 miles) = 30 hours 15 minutes
    Nov-18 ... 216.8 km (134.7 miles) = 30 hours 3 minutes
    Dec-18 ... 285.2 km (177.2 miles) = 37 hours 49 minutes
    Jan-19 ... 241.6 km (150.1 miles) = 27 hours 2 minutes
    Feb-19 ... 175.5 km (109 miles) = 19 hours 8 minutes
    Mar-19 ... 170.3 km (105.8 miles) = 28 hours 21 minutes
    Apr-19 ... 160.3 km (99.6 miles) = 25 hours 4 minutes
    May-19 ... 164.0 km (101.9 miles) = 29 hours 10 minutes
    Jun-19 ... 246.2 km (153 miles) = 25 hours 40 minutes
    Jul-19 ... 217.3 km (135.0 miles) = 33 hours 45 minutes
    Aug-19 ... 162.5 km (100.9 miles) = 28 hours 4 minutes
    Sep-19 ... 136.0 km (84.5 miles) = 23 hours 10 minutes :open_mouth:

Goal: More than September!!

Tuesday, 1 October 2019 … 6.4 km walking + 0.0 km cycling + 0.0 km rowing + 2 flights of stairs
    Wednesday, 2 October 2019 … 5.4 km walking + 0.0 km cycling + 0.0 km rowing + 3 flights of stairs
    Thursday, 3 October 2019 … 8.8 km walking + 0.0 km cycling + 0.0 km rowing + 15 flights of stairs
    Friday, 4 October 2019 … 1.4 km walking + 0.0 km cycling + 0.0 km rowing + 16 flights of stairs
    Saturday, 5 October 2019 … 0.0 km walking + 20.0 km cycling + 0.0 km rowing + 0 flights of stairs
    Sunday, 6 October 2019 … 3.7 km walking + 0.0 km cycling + 2.6 km rowing + 0 flights of stairs

Monday, 7 October 2019 … 2.8 km walking + 0.0 km cycling + 0.0 km rowing + 14 flights of stairs + pilates!
    Tuesday, 8 October 2019 … 1.8 km walking + 0.0 km cycling + 0.0 km rowing + 4 flights of stairs
    Wednesday, 9 October 2019 … 6.4 km walking + 0.0 km cycling + 0.0 km rowing + 3 flights of stairs
    Thursday, 10 October 2019 … 3.2 km walking + 0.0 km cycling + 0.0 km rowing + 0 flights of stairs
    Friday, 11 October 2019 … 1.2 km walking + 0.0 km cycling + 0.0 km rowing + 0 flights of stairs
    Saturday, 12 October 2019 … 6.5 km walking + 20.5 km cycling + 0.0 km rowing + 0 flights of stairs
    Sunday, 13 October 2019 … 0.0 km walking + 15.5 km cycling + 0.0 km rowing + 0 flights of stairs

Monday, 14 October 2019 … 3.4 km walking + 0.0 km cycling + 0.0 km rowing + 4 flights of stairs + pilates!
    Tuesday, 15 October 2019 … 5.4 km walking + 0.0 km cycling + 0.0 km rowing + 4 flights of stairs
    Wednesday, 16 October 2019 … 7.6 km walking + 0.0 km cycling + 0.0 km rowing + 6 flights of stairs

2019 Monthly October
    Walking Distance (km): 63.9
    Walking Time (min): 798.3
    Cycling Distance (km): 56.0
    Cycling Time (min): 232.0
    Flights Stairs Climbed Number: 71.0
    Flights Stairs Climbed Time (min): 56.8
    Rowing Distance (km): 2.6
    Rowing Time (min): 17.0
    Other Distance: 0.0
    Other Time: 60.0

Totals
    Total Distance (km): 122.4
    Total Distance (miles): 76.1
    Total Time (min): 1164.1
    Total Time (hr): 19:24:03
  • Machka9
    Options
    LisaInAR wrote: »
    VTRebeccaNJ - Welcome to a great group of ladies! We're glad you're here, come back often and share how you're doing at your own comfort level.

I'm not sure who seemed a little shaken to know that Alzheimer's may just be a flip of the coin, but it does seem that way for both Alzheimer's and dementia. None of the experts seem to genuinely know if any of the things that are being touted as "preventing" either one of them are actually working or not.

But for me, that's kind of a motivator. To me, life in general is a throw of the dice, with Machka's husband's traumatic brain injury being a prime example. His life and hers changed in moments, without warning. But... on both sides of that flip of the coin, I'd rather if my husband has to deal with my cheese slipping off my cracker, he won't also be dealing with physical, preventable health issues as well. And if I have to deal with his cheese similarly departing his cracker, I'll need to be healthy, as well.

Part of what I'm fighting is that, by the time my mother was my current age, she'd had two heart attacks and an angioplasty to open up a vein to her heart. She was only 51 when she had her first heart attack. Quite a bit of hers was stress, but part was genetic (her father had a quadruple bypass at 60 years old), and part was probably her diet. She died of a stroke at 72. I hope to avoid all of that, if humanly possible.

Down off my soapbox. Time to get it together and go to the gym...

Love y'all,
    Lisa in AR

Absolutely!!

The fitter you are, the better your chances ... or at least, things can be easier.

The fact that my husband was so fit when he had his accident is one of the things Drs say contributed to the amount of recovery he has had.

When he had his big seizure a few months ago, I caught him and lowered him to the ground. I'm glad I had the strength to do that! I'm also glad he's only just over the border into "overweight" and not any heavier!

But even things like being able to stand up off the toilet. We thought we might have to figure something out in the way of handles (and since we rent, that's not a simple idea), but even though he lost a lot of leg and core strength lying in bed for 3 months, he started with a lot of leg and core strength, and he regained quite a bit relatively quickly after.

And happily, his Drs are pleased with his health in general which takes a certain amount of pressure off.

With me, I fear the thought that something might happen to me ... what would he do? So I'll be going for a complete physical soon. I've started making a list of things I want to ask about. And I keep trying to increase my fitness level.

It just makes sense to be fit.

Machka in Oz
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,336 Member
    Options
    Did Bob Harper’s Body Rev DVD. The plan for tomorrow is to do a Lower Body and Total Body DVD

Couldn’t sleep last night – hot flash time. So I tried using MFP on my new tablet. I couldn’t figure out how to add a food. I think I figured it out. Has anyone else had a problem? What did you do?

Does anyone know of a website where they give you the calorie count. Skinnytaste does but they no longer have where you can search for low cal recipes, it looks like they took that search out in favor of a search for keto recipes

Luci – they took the impression when I went there to do the “band aid” fix until I decided to have the bridge put in. The reason it is so long out is because (fortunately) I’m not in any pain and the MD is booked. I think he had an opening one day this week but it was at a time when I had a previous commitment. They said that a bit of the tooth came off. Not sure if I’ll need another crown. What they did was they took the impression then cut off the crown from the bridge so that they could put it over where the tooth had been ground down for the crown (did that make sense?)

Allie – you are strong, you’ll get thru this. I know how hard it was for me when my father had the military funeral. Thinking good thoughts for you.

Will probably go to the Green Room (tomorrow is my day to volunteer). This one lady will be there…she’s a super nice person but she hasn’t been there in over a year. I know she feels a bit apprehensive about the changes and I know she would feel more comfortable with me there.

Michele in NC
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,530 Member
    Options
    p1ezx568yxlj.jpeg
    aq98qb6sqki1.jpeg