October 2019 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• Avidkeo
    Avidkeo Posts: 3,190 Member
    Options
    7lenny7 wrote: »
    I have a bigger issue with being used as a pacer/windbreak. I don't mind it for a few kilometres, or even for the whole race as long as you don't do what a 'friend' of my used to do - sit on my shoulder for the entire 10k race and then kick off and pass me with less than 100m to go. She could sprint, I can't. She'd beat me by 2-3 seconds every single time. Used to piss me off no end. She would laugh. Didn't get that it bothered me. Would joke about drafting and sprinting and the fact she beat me.

I got tired of it after the third or fourth time. By the 10th race I was livid. I tried all sorts of tricks to get her to stop it - starting at the back of the pack, at the front of the pack, starting fast, telling her it's not the done thing. Nothing worked, she'd find me and run half a pace behind me. I didn't mind being beaten by her, but it felt like she ran my race, not hers. She is younger and a naturally better runner than me. If she'd run her own race she probably would have beaten me by 2-3 minutes and I would have been perfectly happy with that.

Fortunately for me, and unfortunately for her, she is injured and doesn't run anymore.

*rant over*

Did you ever try a well-placed snot rocket?

My husband did suggest I try and trip her.

Funny I had the exact same thought.
  • Lazy_Bones_85
    Lazy_Bones_85 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    10.01: 5.5M Easy Run (5.5)
    10.02: Scheduled Rest Day
    10:03: 6.0M Easy Run (11.5)
    10.04: 10.0M Long Run (21.5)
    10.05: Scheduled Rest Day

10.06: 4.5M Easy Run (26)
    10.07: 4.5M Easy Run (30.5)
    10.08: 4.5M Easy Run (35)
    10.09: Scheduled Rest Day
    10.10: 5.0M Easy Run (40)
    10.11: 6.5M Long Run (46.5)
    10.12: Scheduled Rest Day

10.13: 5.0M Medium Run (51.5)
    10:14: Skipped- Traveled all Day
    10.15: 5.0M Easy Run (56.5)
    10.16: Scheduled Rest Day
    10.17: Extra Rest Day
    10.18: 3.0M Taper (58.5)
    10.19: 15K Race (67.8)

10.20: After Race Rest Day
    10.21: 5.0M Easy (73.8)

My legs were very sore today so I spend some time foam rolling after I finished. Took the pace super slow since I was hurting a bit. Will cut my run short tomorrow from 5M to 3M if I'm still feeling tender.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    I was trying to figure out how to add some states to my itinerary, including VA, and found this: https://www.itsyourrace.com/event.aspx?id=6635

Thoughts? It seems like 211 laps around a gym would be super boring. On the other hand, it should be extremely well supported and would not even require carrying water.

The other logistics challenge is that I plan to run in Allen, TX 2 days later. I would drive between the 2, though I know it would take longer than flying... but anyway, that means run this in the afternoon on 12/29 and then drive evening / all day on 12/30 to get to TX and run on 12/31. This is possible, but tiring...
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,489 Member
    Options
    I was trying to figure out how to add some states to my itinerary, including VA, and found this: https://www.itsyourrace.com/event.aspx?id=6635

Thoughts? It seems like 211 laps around a gym would be super boring. On the other hand, it should be extremely well supported and would not even require carrying water.

The other logistics challenge is that I plan to run in Allen, TX 2 days later. I would drive between the 2, though I know it would take longer than flying... but anyway, that means run this in the afternoon on 12/29 and then drive evening / all day on 12/30 to get to TX and run on 12/31. This is possible, but tiring...

I didn't find anything about changing directions every so often. I'd be concerned about my ankles and hips if you only go in one direction, particularly with a race two days later.

No rain, no wind, no hills, bathroom and aid always within easy reach, and it's not on a treadmill, so this has some things going for it.

• T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options

I didn't find anything about changing directions every so often. I'd be concerned about my ankles and hips if you only go in one direction, particularly with a race two days later.

No rain, no wind, no hills, bathroom and aid always within easy reach, and it's not on a treadmill, so this has some things going for it.

What direction would you want to go? Backwards? :p But yes, that is a good point regarding turning the same way 844-ish times (211 X 4).
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options

That hard floor I think would also be unforgiving just 2 days before a race.
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options
    As to the discussion about running past then cutting off to walk, I've had that happen to me many times. A few of them are still vivid in my mind because it was so bad. It was like those moments when you go to pass a car and they realize it and start to speed up. It's almost as if they can't stand someone running past them. I don't think these are people following a run/walk plan. I can usually pick those out. They usually will look, move over and slow down, making sure they aren't in front of someone. When I've gotten into these passing matches with the rude people I just pick up my pace for a while to get myself far enough ahead of them.

Kids doing it don't bother me. They haven't learned pacing yet. I'm pretty sure 90% of kids run races this way.

At my trail race last weekend, I was probably a bit too close to one lady at the start. I didn't want to go out to fast and she had a good pace. I did eventually pass her but not until a point I was ready. Then later I had someone hang behind me. It didn't bother me because it seems to happen more on trails. People use others to pace plus sometimes it's a single track and even though you try to stay to right there isn't always room to pass.

I've not had too much bother with run-walkers, the only time it's an obvious problem is at drinks stops where people run in, grab a drink, then stop dead. Just move out of the way people. Literally three more steps back out from the table.

I have a bigger issue with being used as a pacer/windbreak. I don't mind it for a few kilometres, or even for the whole race as long as you don't do what a 'friend' of my used to do - sit on my shoulder for the entire 10k race and then kick off and pass me with less than 100m to go. She could sprint, I can't. She'd beat me by 2-3 seconds every single time. Used to piss me off no end. She would laugh. Didn't get that it bothered me. Would joke about drafting and sprinting and the fact she beat me.

I got tired of it after the third or fourth time. By the 10th race I was livid. I tried all sorts of tricks to get her to stop it - starting at the back of the pack, at the front of the pack, trying to lose her in the pack, starting fast, starting slow, telling her it's not the done thing. Nothing worked, she'd find me and run half a pace behind me. I didn't mind being beaten by her, but it felt like she ran my race, not hers. She is younger and a naturally better runner than me. If she'd run her own race she probably would have beaten me by 2-3 minutes and I would have been perfectly happy with that.

Fortunately for me, and unfortunately for her, she is injured and doesn't run anymore.

*rant over*

That is definitely not what I was doing. She just happened to be running the pace I wanted to. I try not to get to close but obviously, when she slowed down I kinda caught up to her. I passed her maybe at mile 1, if not before. And I never saw her again.
  • chris_in_cal
    chris_in_cal Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    Hello,

Once again I am optimistically hoping MFP groups can work. Us MFP daily loggers, who run and use a Garmin, this is for us:
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/115856-garmin-connect-runners
  • TheMrWobbly
    TheMrWobbly Posts: 2,523 Member
    Options
    I should confess @ContraryMaryMary that I do use people as windbreaks. At my weight you need all the help you can get though it also means I don't sprint.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    edited October 2019
    Options
    As to the discussion about running past then cutting off to walk, I've had that happen to me many times. A few of them are still vivid in my mind because it was so bad. It was like those moments when you go to pass a car and they realize it and start to speed up. It's almost as if they can't stand someone running past them. I don't think these are people following a run/walk plan. I can usually pick those out. They usually will look, move over and slow down, making sure they aren't in front of someone. When I've gotten into these passing matches with the rude people I just pick up my pace for a while to get myself far enough ahead of them.

Kids doing it don't bother me. They haven't learned pacing yet. I'm pretty sure 90% of kids run races this way.

At my trail race last weekend, I was probably a bit too close to one lady at the start. I didn't want to go out to fast and she had a good pace. I did eventually pass her but not until a point I was ready. Then later I had someone hang behind me. It didn't bother me because it seems to happen more on trails. People use others to pace plus sometimes it's a single track and even though you try to stay to right there isn't always room to pass.

I've not had too much bother with run-walkers, the only time it's an obvious problem is at drinks stops where people run in, grab a drink, then stop dead. Just move out of the way people. Literally three more steps back out from the table.

I got tired of it after the third or fourth time. By the 10th race I was livid. I tried all sorts of tricks to get her to stop it - starting at the back of the pack, at the front of the pack, trying to lose her in the pack, starting fast, starting slow, telling her it's not the done thing. Nothing worked, she'd find me and run half a pace behind me. I didn't mind being beaten by her, but it felt like she ran my race, not hers. She is younger and a naturally better runner than me. If she'd run her own race she probably would have beaten me by 2-3 minutes and I would have been perfectly happy with that.

*rant over*

That is definitely not what I was doing. She just happened to be running the pace I wanted to. I try not to get to close but obviously, when she slowed down I kinda caught up to her. I passed her maybe at mile 1, if not before. And I never saw her again.

What you were doing is perfectly ok. I often ‘chase a person’, especially if it’s near the end of the race and I feel I’m flagging. And I will pass them if I can at the end, absolutely. But I wouldn’t draft off someone for an entire race then sprint past them at the end and then expect them to give me a ride home.

i do too for a good part of races. no drafting or shadowing but i do pick a person i think i can catch. then i pick a new person. sometimes i do have strangers pace me but i try not to be too close. i like my personal space and assume others do too
    i do think @MobyCarp was the one who suggested it.

@shanaber the canicross season is starting. we have another one in dec
  • chris_in_cal
    chris_in_cal Posts: 2,169 Member
    edited October 2019
    Options
    For MFP daily loggers, who run and use a Garmin, this is for us:
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/115856-garmin-connect-runners

Oh yeah, I forgot this challenge thread has a group already. Well the Garmin one is specifically to geek out on the functionality of the watch and using it to train for running.