October 2019 Monthly Running Challenge

Replies

• 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Oh yeah, I forgot this challenge thread has a group already. Well the Garmin one is specifically to geek out on the functionality of the watch and using it to train for running.

That's a good reminder to remind folks here that we also have a group:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/21182-monthly-running-challenges

This may be in the initial post of the month...I don't know, I never read that and if it is in there, it's probably hidden by the other good info.
  • polskagirl01
    polskagirl01 Posts: 2,022 Member
    edited October 2019
    7lenny7 wrote: »
    We recently discussed running form, cadence and foot strike. Here's a thread with a lot of links to great info and videos on building good form.

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10228828/good-running-form-overstriding

Thanks for posting this. I'm gonna go through the videos and drills bit by bit and try to digest it all.

@Elise4270 Congratulations!!!!
  • Avidkeo
    Avidkeo Posts: 3,190 Member
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    You silly runners. Running to and fro... 😄 (Just wanted to say "hi"). I'm still waiting to heal and "move forward".

Not running related (obviously); I got into nursing school (BSN). I'm stoked- sort of. Not sure how I'm going to manage my life for the next 2.5 years and if my hips are going to be ongoing issues. I'm gonna be like @workaholic_nurse someday. Haha!

Any other medical professionals/nurses? I know @HonuNui ... any words of wisdom?

Persevere. The middle year sux but its a blast at the end! Well that was radiography anyway lol.

Oh and study buddies are a must. Having others going through the same thing who can help makes it so much easier. I'm still friends with some of my study mates 7 years later.

Enjoy it! And congratulations!!
  • Scott6255
    Scott6255 Posts: 2,526 Member
    That gal I paced last Saturday...it turns out she dropped out about 4 miles after we split up. So sad, but she was tough in doing what she had done. No shame there at all.

And from the "WTF!?!?" department, one of the runners who did complete the 100 mile race in our humble woods, is on a quest to run a 100 miler every week. EVERY WEEK. He completed his race last Saturday which marked his FORTY SEVENTH week in a row completing a 100 miler. WTF?!?!

You can follow his exploits here
    https://www.instagram.com/michael.henry.ortiz/

Is he related to @AlphaHowls ?

HA, I was just typing that same exact question!!!!!

@elise4270 Congratulations on getting into nursing school!!!!! :)
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    That gal I paced last Saturday...it turns out she dropped out about 4 miles after we split up. So sad, but she was tough in doing what she had done. No shame there at all.

And from the "WTF!?!?" department, one of the runners who did complete the 100 mile race in our humble woods, is on a quest to run a 100 miler every week. EVERY WEEK. He completed his race last Saturday which marked his FORTY SEVENTH week in a row completing a 100 miler. WTF?!?!

Also, Billy Richards is doing a lot of hundred milers these days as he is trying to break a world record too.
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    edited October 2019
    Ummmm... how do you dress to run 2.3 miles in overcast, drizzly, 45F but feels like 7F because of a wind advisory? I can't remember the last time I saw a gap that big! I really want to run, but I also have the car (so I could drive to the gym instead of running) and maybe I should take a pass since the weather's going to be nicer pretty much every day this week...
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Ummmm... how do you dress to run 2.3 miles in overcast, drizzly, 45F but feels like 7F because of a wind advisory? I can't remember the last time I saw a gap that big! I really want to run, but I also have the car (so I could drive to the gym instead of running) and maybe I should take a pass since the weather's going to be nicer pretty much every day this week...

A good wind breaker is a must. With good wind blockage, you will think you are running in something much closer to air temp.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member

Is he related to @AlphaHowls ?

hahha
  • TheMrWobbly
    TheMrWobbly Posts: 2,541 Member
    7 miles *tick*

Just wish I wasn't so sweaty at the end!
  • Lazy_Bones_85
    Lazy_Bones_85 Posts: 132 Member
    @Elise4270 Congratulations!!! 🍾🎈
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    edited October 2019
    5 miles today - my FIL is still not in, he apparently got lost in Birmingham and delayed by several hours. My husband wants to know how this is possible in the age of GPS. All I know is Memphis shuts down at 9 pm so if they aren’t here soon they aren’t going out to dinner as they planned.

Beautiful running weather as expected, although with a very high wind. We kept thinking we were running faster than we were, because the wind in our faces made us feel like we were going 25 mph!

I sort of got lost a couple of weeks ago even using GPS while trying to get out of the cornfields of south-central Minnesota and back to the Twin Cities - I was going in the right direction, but got sent down some random unpaved roads that ended up adding 20-25 minutes to our trip. And all that because I turned the wrong way out of the only gas station in the wee tiny town we'd been visiting. Whoops.