WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR NOVEMBER 2019

Options

Replies

• SuziQ113
    SuziQ113 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    Spring time veggies from our garden! My husband grew them, I picked them ... and we ate some of them for dinner tonight. :)

bnxdjnml55wl.png

I wish I could come to your house for dinner. What lovely vegetables!
  • okiewoman510
    okiewoman510 Posts: 1,288 Member
    Options
    Hugs Lisa

Okie
  • Fitdaily2021
    Fitdaily2021 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Yes, it is beautiful here in the cool months. Summers are brutal -
  • Fitdaily2021
    Fitdaily2021 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for your welcome note. Loved your thoughts, how very insightful they are! And very colorful! Are you a writer and blessed with that talent?
    Looking forward to more conversation and motivation-
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,347 Member
    Options
    Good morning ladies! Middle of the week here. B)

Machka - wow your veggies look great! I'm still cleaning up the garden but always making plans about what I'm going to plant next year. You are inspiring <3 Love your photo, and you are becoming an old hand at dealing with your DH's neurological issues. Applause! :D

SuziQ
    - you are listing many good strategies in dealing with holiday treats. Thank you for that, I need to hear them! That chart you posted regarding weight loss was so interesting. Reminded me of when I was on WW and charted my weight loss. At the start, I projected a 1.5# weight loss per week, and projected over 12 or 16 weeks. I logged my actual loss on the same graph andit was encouraging to see that most of the time I was ahead of the projection. Of course, I was in my 40's and 50's, pre-meno. Now that I'm in my later 60's I don't have a lot to lose, but thinking it might be wise to weigh once a week and chart it again.

Lisa
    - right before I read your post, I read an email from a friend whose 35 y/o son was in alcohol rehab, recovering from a DUI/accident. I thought about how he hopefully had learned his life was unmanageable, and going through the AA steps to hopefully conquer his addiction. Some thoughts about my food addiction - feel free to skip. I haven't found a good way to confront that monster lately:
    And I thought too about my own inability lately to leave food alone when I'm not hungry. Is it a food addiction? Sugar addiction? Eating addiction - needing the act of chewing and swallowing? I was never bulimic = resorting to vomiting, but anorexic in my 20's, yes.

I think about my siblings and my DH, whose appetites are perfectly normal. A package of cookies can go stale before being eaten. How can they eat one cookie then walk away? I know they don't have a conversation in their heads about it "maybe one more won't hurt. Maybe I should eat an apple instead. Since there are only 6 cookies left and DH won't eat them, I should eat them before they go stale." GACK!!!! How to shut up this sugar devil >:)

The only thing I know is that the devil changes shape. I can go weeks or months or years walking away from or completely avoiding the binges. Then something new triggers it. For me, it's been physical problems - foot, shoulder, hernia. I'm pretty much recovered or have found ways to accommodate and get back on track but the sugar monster has taken up residence in my brain. And when he kicks the door open, nothing is safe - cookies, nuts, chips.

OK ladies, enough on that. Working on the shopping list. Despite eating too much out of the snack cupboard after supper, I do pre-log or at least pre-plan and make sure I'm eating yummy, nutritious food most of the day.
    New topic - dog with scratching problem doesn't have fleas. Vet says it's most likely dry skin from hot dry air - she does like to lay in front of the wood stove and pant. :s And her biting in the tail area? Anal glands. Gonna have a talk with the groomer about doing THAT job and rinsing the shampoo off her completely. Pup is also going to be on Benadryl twice a day for a couple weeks to see if she calms down, and I'm making sure she gets her Omega 3 & 6 treat.

Make it a fabulous day! <3

Lanette
    Foggy SW WA State
  • LisaInAR
    LisaInAR Posts: 2,020 Member
    Options
    SCGirl - Yep, I'm a writer. Thanks for the compliment! Our Heather in the UK is, as well, we both have books on Amazon. I also write grants for a living. Others don't necessarily advertise on here that they're writers, but each of us has our own voice in this place.

Lanette
    - Thank you for that - funny how we all have our names for our demons... Sugar is also a frighteningly strong pull for me--and if I pick up one of my favorites, which is candy corn, it leaves me shaking, sweating, and feeling like I'm going to pass out, of which I was handily reminded during the runup to Halloween. Seems like I have to check each year, and yep, still makes me feel like crap on a cracker. Unfortunately, not all sugar makes me feel like that, or it might be easier to walk away.

Have cooled down, time to get in the shower and get on with my day.

Love y'all,
    Lisa in AR
  • Snowflake1968
    Snowflake1968 Posts: 6,745 Member
    Options
    Skimmed this morning as I was awake way too early!

Happy Birthday to Janet and Ginny.

Lisa - I am struggling right along with you and have been since the wedding and visitors in July. I have had a huge learning curve at work and found myself mentally exhausted most nights, I think I have it under control now but am struggling to stop myself from eating comfort food and too much of it and getting off the couch.

Well my alarm just went off so I should get ready to go to work.

Have a great day
    Tracey in cold, snowy Edmonton
  • knitski2002
    knitski2002 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Big victory yesterday. I made cookies without eating any of the dough. I'm currently stuck at four pounds over my goal. Maintenance is hard!
    Shirley
  • losepudge
    losepudge Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    has anyone in this group tried IIFYM? I did the blueprint and it said over 1800 calories... I am 62 years old and not a body builder for sure. I do a moderate level of exercise most days a week (30 minutes a day or more)
  • JRsLateInLifeMom
    JRsLateInLifeMom Posts: 2,275 Member
    Options
    Machka- Snowpeas look delicious I love them but too exspensive here So it’s a treat like Steak.

Videos from Daughter still haven’t watched yet so busy with JR when I tried JR heard music 🎶 danced landed on his butt thanks to winter socks 🧦. So hugging 🤗 to make the owiiee better. Daughter wasn’t but JR is a singer y dancer type. She was musical guitar 🎸 player with serious face lol no movement.

Today steaming a steak 🥩.Yesterday boiled 2eggs 1 for each meal. Making broccoli 🥦 steamed. Corn in skillet. So full meal to have with crystal light if still hungry more broccoli.

Later will see what calories are left y my mood. Out of regular eggs only egg whites left now.

Amber Tx
  • LisaInAR
    LisaInAR Posts: 2,020 Member
    Options
    Sue in WA - I just remembered you asked about how I liked the alligator lopper. Love it! It feels safe, as you must have both hands on the handles and far away from the blade in order to get the chain moving. The weight isn't so high that I can't continue to use it for the 45 minutes to an hour before the battery runs out (black & decker - ryobi might be better battery life). And it was simple to add the oil, near where the blades come together. It also extended my reach, so I could take out branches as much as two feet above my head height.

The only caveat I have, and it's intrinsic to chain saws of all kinds, is that for the very small, flexible branches, it's not useful, as they just bend around the chain, rather than being cut. You can cut them if they're close together and you can grab four or five of them in the jaws, but for me the easiest way to deal with that was to keep a pair of hand loppers in my back pocket to deal with the very small stuff, and use the alligator to clear the big stuff. I don't know if Ryobi has a battery version of it, but I'm pretty happy with the B&D.

Later, y'all,
    Lisa in AR