November 2019 Monthly Running Challenge

Replies

• Teresa502
    Teresa502 Posts: 1,704 Member
    JMNagain wrote: »

@Teresa502 what is the hug a runner challenge? Never heard of it!

It's a challenge sponsored by Run the Edge. You pledge to run a 5K (or longer) each day for 10 days. Each day you do you are entered into a drawing for $500. This is the same group who sponsors the Run the Year challenge where you pledge to run the same number of miles as in the year (for 2019 you would run 2,019 miles). You can do it solo or form a team. Many runners in this forum set up groups this year and participated in the Run the Year. They have options for each challenge where you can purchase a medal, shirt, etc. I'm cheap so I just sign up for the basics!

• PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Teresa502 wrote: »
    Teresa502 wrote: »
    November Goal – 100 miles

Nov 2 – 5 miles
    Nov 3 – 10 miles for @MobyCarp
    Nov 4 – 5 miles
    Nov 6 – 5.16 miles
    Nov 7 – 5.18 miles
    Nov 8 – 3.30 miles
    Nov 9 – 10.42 miles
    Nov 11 – 5.26 miles – Hug a Runner 5K challenge – Day 1
    Nov 12 – 3.30 miles – Hug a Runner 5K challenge – Day 2
    Nov 13 – 3.20 miles – Hug a Runner 5K challenge – Day 3
    Nov 14 – 3.21 miles – Hug a Runner 5K challenge – Day 4
    Nov 15 – 6.50 miles – Hug a Runner 5K challenge – Day 5
    Nov 16 – 3.22 miles – Hug a Runner 5K challenge – Day 6
    Nov 17 – 3.20 miles – Hug a Runner 5K challenge – Day 7
    Nov 18 – 5.14 miles – Hug a Runner 5K challenge – Day 8
    Nov 19 – 5.06 miles – Hug a Runner 5k challenge – Day 9

It was a nice 38F this morning. Yesterday, when I agreed to meet my friend who is also doing the 5K challenge we both agreed that we only wanted 3.1 miles. But old habits die hard so we set out on our usual 5 mile route only difference was we ran it in reverse today.

Monthly Total – 82.15 miles
    YTD – 1,038.85 miles

Sooooo how many hugs so far?

Way too many to count!!!

BETTER YOU THAN ME!
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    mbaker566 wrote: »
    ok plan made.
    extended an ultra plan with a slower ramp up. a few people have been pm'd. everyone else, feel free to continue to nag. i give permission.
    tbf, my husband nagged but not with permission :wink:

plan as of now
    do6z710wccv6.png

That 50 at the end is a big mileage increase over the prior week... it generally is high risk to make such a sharp increase so quickly.
  • Tramboman
    Tramboman Posts: 2,482 Member
    ok plan made.
    extended an ultra plan with a slower ramp up. a few people have been pm'd. everyone else, feel free to continue to nag. i give permission.

plan as of now
    do6z710wccv6.png

Nagging bears fruit - whether it be authorized or unauthorized.🤗
  • eleanorhawkins
    eleanorhawkins Posts: 1,654 Member
    Tramboman wrote: »
    ok plan made.

plan as of now
    do6z710wccv6.png

@Tramboman not in my house it doesn't! It just gets me called a nagger and they STILL don't do what I nagged them to do **sigh**
    If @mbaker566 actually does what she's nagged to do I might want to adopt her :-p
  • polskagirl01
    polskagirl01 Posts: 2,010 Member
    @mbaker566 This is exactly why I need a GF or wife... to "nag" me to be a better person.

But, but... I thought nagging made us into horrible witches!

It does! Not caring about being horrible witches makes us even horribler witches **grin**

Haha, I really do try... but sometimes I almost think they kinda do want it, but don't admit it (except for @T1DCarnivoreRunner )
  • polskagirl01
    polskagirl01 Posts: 2,010 Member
    edited November 2019
    ok plan made.

plan as of now
    do6z710wccv6.png

That 50 at the end is a big mileage increase over the prior week... it generally is high risk to make such a sharp increase so quickly.

I thought the same thing. What would you recommend? A longer run May 3? I was also thinking I'd probably need a cut-back option somewhere around weeks 20 or 21 if I was doing this, but that's a ways away and probably too nitpicky of me and I should stick to nagging. SO... great plan and now you have to do it!
  • Tramboman
    Tramboman Posts: 2,482 Member
    Tramboman wrote: »
    ok plan made.

plan as of now
    do6z710wccv6.png

@Tramboman not in my house it doesn't! It just gets me called a nagger and they STILL don't do what I nagged them to do **sigh**
    If @mbaker566 actually does what she's nagged to do I might want to adopt her :-p

Did not specify if the fruit borne is sweet or bitter.😏
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    ok plan made.

plan as of now
    do6z710wccv6.png

interesting because i didn't touch that part of the plan. hmm
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    ok plan made.

plan as of now
    do6z710wccv6.png

Am I reading this right... you never run more than 10 miles, then jump to a 50 mile run?
  • mbaker566
    ok plan made.

plan as of now
    do6z710wccv6.png

I thought the same thing. What would you recommend? A longer run May 3? I was also thinking I'd probably need a cut-back option somewhere around weeks 20 or 21 if I was doing this, but that's a ways away and probably too nitpicky of me and I should stick to nagging. SO... great plan and now you have to do it!

that first weekend of may i have my annual half marathon in door county. i usually then sleep all afternoon because the hills knock me out
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    edited November 2019
    ok plan made.

plan as of now
    do6z710wccv6.png

Am I reading this right... you never run more than 10 miles, then jump to a 50 mile run?

No, that last column is labeled "Saturday" - I think y'all are reading it as the weekly total line. There's a bunch of 20+ runs in the first column, "Sunday". It looks like the plan maxes out week 24 with a 31 mile run/65 mile week followed by a week with what I'd guess is a half marathon race, then a couple weeks of taper until race week with the 50 mile run in a 69 mile week.
  • mbaker566
    edited November 2019
    ok plan made.

plan as of now
    do6z710wccv6.png

No, that last column is labeled "Saturday" - I think y'all are reading it as the weekly total line. There's a bunch of 20+ runs in the first column, "Sunday". It looks like the plan maxes out week 24 with a 31 mile run/65 mile week, then gradually tapers until race week with the 50 mile run in a 69 mile week.

i think you might be right
    ok plan made.

plan as of now
    do6z710wccv6.png

i would say no you are not reading it right
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    ok plan made.

plan as of now
    do6z710wccv6.png

No, that last column is labeled "Saturday" - I think y'all are reading it as the weekly total line. There's a bunch of 20+ runs in the first column, "Sunday". It looks like the plan maxes out week 24 with a 31 mile run/65 mile week, then gradually tapers until race week with the 50 mile run in a 69 mile week.

ok plan made.

plan as of now
    do6z710wccv6.png

I see where there are some 20-something milers on Sundays, but still not quite getting close to 50.
    And then a really long taper before the race. Are you sure that is reasonable?
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    edited November 2019
    ok plan made.

plan as of now
    do6z710wccv6.png

ok plan made.

plan as of now
    do6z710wccv6.png

I see where there are some 20-something milers on Sundays, but still not quite getting close to 50.

I've never run an ultra so I really probably keep my mouth shut, but from poking around the internet a bit it looks like it's pretty normal for a 50 mile plan to include 2-3 weeks of taper (and the first of those weeks includes a race, so that's its own thing) and max out the long run around 30 miles. It looks like 31 is the exact number that Runner's World uses.
  • mbaker566
    ok plan made.

plan as of now
    do6z710wccv6.png

ok plan made.

plan as of now
    do6z710wccv6.png

I've never run an ultra so I really probably keep my mouth shut, but from poking around the internet a bit it looks like it's pretty normal for a 50 mile plan to include 2-3 weeks of taper (and the first of those weeks includes a race, so that's its own thing) and max out the long run around 30 miles. It looks like 31 is the exact number that Runner's World uses.

i did the same but also have never run an ultra