The middle agers group. (Upper 30s,40s & 50ish folks)

Replies

• drmwc
    drmwc Posts: 980 Member
    edited December 2019
    I tried to go diving on Sunday. I had new kit I wanted to test, so we decided to do a quarry dive.

I arrived at the quarry, and had forgotten my drysuit. It would have been a couple of hours to nip home and pick it up, so we abandoned the diving idea and I went climbing instead.

I would worry about this implying senility, although it's kind of typical for me so probably not a cause for alarm. (I turned up at an interview on the wrong day in my 20s, for example; and I left my work laptop at a caravan park about 5 years ago on a dive trip.)
  • mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,131 Member
    We were on a shake-out run before a Grand Canyon trip a few years ago. We got to the river and one of our oarsmen had left his wetsuit booties and his drysuit at home. It was perhaps an hour each way. He helped with shuttle and headed home.

I've seen spray skirts forgotten for kayaks when we rigged one up from a garbage bag! I've seen PFDs forgotten. I often carry a spare. Yeah. It happens.
  • carad2017
    carad2017 Posts: 1 Member
    Hi, Im new here. How do I join this group? I dont want to interupt the convo but also dont want to be a stalker! And happy birthday! (Oh, I'm 41 so I qualify.) I've had lots of success with weight loss clubs in the past but now I'm trying to learn how to do it on my own because the restriction makes me crazy, but calorie counting totally works for me. I do find it is harder at 41 but I dont know if that is because of health changes or lifestyle changes (beer for dinner was thing when i was in my 20s and svelte). Anyways, hi, this whole thing makes me feel old as I try to figure out the forums!
  • Iron_Muscle_
    Iron_Muscle_ Posts: 5,095 Member
    carad2017 wrote: »
    Hi, Im new here. How do I join this group? I dont want to interupt the convo but also dont want to be a stalker! And happy birthday! (Oh, I'm 41 so I qualify.) I've had lots of success with weight loss clubs in the past but now I'm trying to learn how to do it on my own because the restriction makes me crazy, but calorie counting totally works for me. I do find it is harder at 41 but I dont know if that is because of health changes or lifestyle changes (beer for dinner was thing when i was in my 20s and svelte). Anyways, hi, this whole thing makes me feel old as I try to figure out the forums!

Happy birthday and welcome to the best time of your life
  • 4newrunner
    4newrunner Posts: 85 Member
    Good Morning everyone! HHD! Have a great day!
  • avalon7772
    avalon7772 Posts: 3 Member
    I’m not the oldest, but certainly in the top cohort.

Turned 57 last week and just 18lb into a target to lose 70lb. So 52lb to go.

Using a combination of early-morning mile swimming five-days-a-week and calorie-counting. This Friday I’m going for a 3,000 metre swim (aiming to complete in just under an hour). If I’ve any energy left I’ll do the same Christmas Eve so I can pig-out the next day without guilt!
  • kimber0607
    kimber0607 Posts: 994 Member
    avalon7772 wrote: »
    I’m not the oldest, but certainly in the top cohort.

Turned 57 last week and just 18lb into a target to lose 70lb. So 52lb to go.

Using a combination of early-morning mile swimming five-days-a-week and calorie-counting. This Friday I’m going for a 3,000 metre swim (aiming to complete in just under an hour). If I’ve any energy left I’ll do the same Christmas Eve so I can pig-out the next day without guilt!

AWESOME!
    I swear it took me 5 months shed 13 pounds and 2 to gain it back...Grrrrrr

• bmeadows380
    bmeadows380 Posts: 2,981 Member
    The office Christmas luncheon is today, and I know I'm going to be overindulging, so I'm not counting calories today and changing my focus. A break now and then is probably good for me, anyway!

So goals today are:
    1) stay out of the break room until lunch so I don't go mindlessly picking at the cookies and candies back there
    2) be mindful of my portion sizes when dinner rolls around; enjoy what I want, but keep the amount small!
  • sameoldbrandnewme
    sameoldbrandnewme Posts: 15 Member
    Hey guys I'm 37 and feeling like I'm passed my prime, I'm loving the positivity about turning 40 and being in the "best shape of my life" please add me. God's knows I could really feed of that motivation!
  • jenferbar
    jenferbar Posts: 57 Member
    Have been logging on most days (Went off for a few days when I was feeling ill...though I've had bronchitis for the last 7-8 weeks). Pretty easy to measure and log food, trying to find the energy to exercise despite my breathing/coughing jags. Hoping to be well in the next week or two.
  • Victoria1S
    Victoria1S Posts: 2 Member
    Guys, how do you record homemade meals? I'm struggling to track the calories intake of my homemade food.
  • 4newrunner
    4newrunner Posts: 85 Member
    Happy Saturday Everyone!!
  • alteredsteve175
    alteredsteve175 Posts: 2,716 Member
    Weekend! Party today with some dear friends and then the Las Vegas bowl game tonight. Go Broncos! And finishing some Christmas gifts. And the every day 🐕 walks.

What's on your weekend agenda?
  • mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,131 Member
    edited December 2019
    Weekend! Party today with some dear friends and then the Las Vegas bowl game tonight. Go Broncos! And finishing some Christmas gifts. And the every day 🐕 walks.

What's on your weekend agenda?

Chores today and tomorrow. Need to get some groceries before Wednesday for sure. Gym today if I can swing it. Aquarium diving Monday which is also Festivus.

Today is our darkest day of the year. We had three seconds less daylight than yesterday, all clouds aside. Tomorrow we get about an extra second! Today we get eight hours, 49 minutes, and 13 seconds here at a latitude of 44.56 degrees north. At 20:19 this evening, or local star will cease its apparent southward journey and appear to stand still in the sky before it returns. Solstice is one of the most important moments in my annual cycle. May you enjoy yours and, if in the northern hemisphere, the return of the light. If you are south of the equator enjoy all the light you have today!
  • zaraizzy56
    zaraizzy56 Posts: 56 Member
    Happy Saturday!! Hope everyone has a wonderful weekend. 😃
  • alteredsteve175
    alteredsteve175 Posts: 2,716 Member
    mtaratoot wrote: »
    Today is our darkest day of the year. We had three seconds less daylight than yesterday, all clouds aside. Tomorrow we get about an extra second! Today we get eight hours, 49 minutes, and 13 seconds here at a latitude of 44.56 degrees north. At 20:19 this evening, or local star will cease its apparent southward journey and appear to stand still in the sky before it returns. Solstice is one of the most important moments in my annual cycle. May you enjoy yours and, if in the northern hemisphere, the return of the light. If you are south of the equator enjoy all the light you have today!

My friends host a solstice party every year. This year it actually takes place on the day of the solstice. YAY!

I'm ready for some longer days. It's hard to get some dog walks and hikes in on these short days.